What would happen if Mayor Dyer is not in office?

sunshine

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's what i've been saying

he's only been indicted, & hasn't even had a chance to defend himself. Dyer's lawyer already stated he will plead "not guilty" & the system should work itself out. Everyone is already quick to assume Dyer is done, which I think is actually a slim chance. However, I do think this will tarnish his image, the city's image, and effect downtown development regardless of the outcome.

^ We'll just have to get used to being the laughingstock of the nation for a while.

The good things is folks won't be thinking about Mickey Mouse when they think of Orlando.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, Disney is supposed to make you laugh! :D At least Orlando can be like the City of Miami in one way. In 1999 the Gov had to remove the mayor of the City of Miami for this same type of incident. See, Orlando, now you're like Miami. Just what you always wanted to be! :thumbsup: Now all you need is more local politicans who give over contracts for airport jobs for a little cash in return.

Orlando, you guys are tooooo much. Your Mayor Dyer has always looked shady to me.

:rofl:

Republicans are very good at stealing election...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Strangely enough it was proven that the last major election scandel of such accusations was 100% legit. Come to think of it, I can find any election a Republican 'stole'.

Dyer has baely even been charged. Being charged doesn't mean guilty remember? Innocent until proven guilty. I know your just speculating but don't come to a conlusion just yet.

I just watched his press conference. I'm actually very upset about this now. This was totally politically motivated. Don't count on Jeb siding with Dyer either. If Mulvaney gets office we will basically have to rely on the private sector to push downtown further. I really don't want to make this a left vs right thing, but I think it might be coming down to that.

Statement From Buddy Dyer

POSTED: 4:38 pm EST March 11, 2005

UPDATED: 4:45 pm EST March 11, 2005

STATEMENT FROM MAYOR BUDDY DYER

March 11, 2005

One year ago the Orlando Police Department was contacted by Brian Mulvaney, the brother of my political opponent and asked to investigate allegations of voter fraud in the 2004 election. Rather than have a law enforcement department that reports directly to me investigate charges against my campaign I asked Chief McCoy to turn this matter over to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for further investigation.

I can report that after a year of investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and a Grand Jury investigation they have found what I knew to be the case one year ago

As i have said before, I am a Republican but i think Mayor Dyer has done more for the City of Orlando than any other Mayor in this great city. True some of it appeared shady and that as a republican disheartened me but let the system play out (because as the Miranda rights puts it You ARE innocent until PROVEN GUILTY in a court of law) and strangely enough i support Mayor Dyer. I think he is so passionate about the quality redevelopment of Orlando that he sometimes seemed to bully his way through all the beauracracy. Lets admit, the amount of paperwork or steps to gain approval of a project were a bit longwinded before. However, as for the election fraud, lets be patient and see what happens because just like the 2000 Bush election as I stood behind Bush than and this was thoroughly upheld (over 30 something manual recounts), I will now stand for Buddy!!! Lets all remain positive, no matter what happens. The world has not ended. Thank you. Marc C. McCullough Orlando resident.

P.S> I personally met Commish Vicki Vargo at the Orlando Palace community meeting at the Princeton elementary last month and got a sense that she was enthusiastic about the current and future state of affairs on all the development in Orlando. :)

I'm with you firemick

registered republican, but I'll stand by Buddy Dyer at this time. I feel he is in office for the benefit of the city, not the benefit of himself (unlike Glenda Hood). I feel he's innocent, especially after reading his statement.

This sounds like a typical Republican game, the leaders of the party don't think any other people besides themselves are "allowed" to work in the government, so they'll do anything to keep others out of office. Look at what Dyer is actually being attacked for doing: allegedly encouraging people to get black voters to exercise their rights and vote. I guess black people voting is something the Republicans are upset about. If Jeb is so worried about election fraud in Florida he should inspect the butterfly ballots in Palm Beach Co. in 2000 or the electronic voting problems in Volusia Co. in 2004.

Not that I like the Democrats and I disagree with many of Dyer's policies, but this is hypocritical by the Republicans and just a power play.

Republican or Democrat, it really doesn't matter me. You have to like what Dyer has done for Orlando. Many politicians talk of how they are going to change things and help their city grow, but never do. Buddy Dyer has pushed Orlando into the 21st Century. He has given present and future residents of Orlando something to be proud of. I am 100% behind him and am sure that we will have our Mayor back.

Republican or Democrat, it really doesn't matter me.  You have to like what Dyer has done for Orlando.  Many politicians talk of how they are going to change things and help their city grow, but never do.  Buddy Dyer has pushed Orlando into the 21st Century.  He has given present and future residents of Orlando something to be proud of.  I am 100% behind him and am sure that we will have our Mayor back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree....I am sure that Buddy will beat these charges, as will everyone else who has been charged. It is just too bad that this is how politics are these days. Welcome to 2005 politics, and also some one stated that Orlando will be the laughing stock of the nation, I disagree...political figures are put in situations like this all the time and the city they come from rarely is given bad face because of it.

You don't think people will be laughing about Orlando if our arrested Mayor is temporarily replaced by a man earlier removed from office for a crime ?

Whatever the case, I'm sure Orlando will endure and prosper.

And, frankly, I believe that downtown will continue to prosper.

You don't think people will be laughing about Orlando if our arrested Mayor is temporarily replaced by a man earlier removed from office for a crime ?

Whatever the case, I'm sure Orlando will endure and prosper.

And, frankly, I believe that downtown will continue to prosper.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NO I don't think people are going to laugh. I am sure that most of the general public is aware that there is corruption throughout all of politics. Also, Gov Bush is not appointing anyone, there will be an election within 2 months. I do not think that he will win when he runs again.

On another note, I also think that Orlando will continue to grow at the same pace, the only thing that will suffer are these rich condo builders getting more incentives.

NO I don't think people are going to laugh.  I am sure that most of the general public is aware that there is corruption throughout all of politics. Also, Gov Bush is not appointing anyone, there will be an election within 2 months.  I do not think that he will win when he runs again.

On another note, I also think that Orlando will continue to grow at the same pace, the only thing that will suffer are these rich condo builders getting more incentives.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, we can sure make that last bit happen if Vargo takes over. ;)

, and also some one stated that Orlando will be the laughing stock of the nation, I disagree...political figures are put in situations like this all the time and the city they come from rarely is given bad face because of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, not trying to be partisan or political but just to give an example only! But look at President Clinton. He is well liked by many and is doing fine even after being impeached and all the improprieties in the oval office!!! Orlando will survive. And before anybody says anything about all these posts, This is healthy conversation and pertinent to Orlando and Urban development thinking.

I'm pretty much with firemick & Hisma on this one... tend to go Republican, but am very supportive of Dyer. His "shadiness" almost always seemed to be in the best interest of improving the city in some form. I remember coming to Orlando for the first time as a visitor about 5 years ago (before Sept. 11). Went downtown, thinking it would a great place, etc... it was DEAD. Like a ghost town. Now, just a few years later, look at what is going on. It's a great testament to Dyer, IMO. My hope is that a sensible jury will not choose to set a precedent in coviting Buddy, as there is no precedent thus far. And if they do, then they damn well go get Glenda Hood and Mel Martinez, because they benefitted from Thomas' "services" as well.

As for the Republican-themed conspiracy theories, keep in mind the grand jury (theoretically impartial) is the actual party that indicted him, not Republican politicians or judges.

The good news... none of the major national news agencies (CNN, MSBC, etc.) are giving this much play, so those fears of being a laughingstock of the nation seem to be overblown.

We'll see how it all plays out. <_<

Also what is all the talk by the media about "the city shutting down"? So will there be a Municipal Planning Board meeting on March 15th or not? I was going to go. Oh check Steve's post just before this one on last page, i forgot to add quote from his and we went to next page, Sorry

Also what is all the talk by the media about "the city shutting down"? So will there be a Municipal Planning Board meeting on March 15th or not? I was going to go. Oh check Steve's post just before this one on last page, i forgot to add quote from his and we went to next page, Sorry

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've seen and heard a lot of media but haven't seen anything about "the city shutting down," ... yet. With Page as temp Mayor saying everything will go on, why wouldn't the Planning Board go as planned?

I'm pretty fed up by folks decrying the incentives. Most are not "real" money. It's just reduced profit in the short run to get the condos built by backing off taxes for a while. I get credit card offers several times a week for introductory reduced rates. If it makes good business sense for business, why not for the city? People decry cities for poor management of funds, and now that Orlando is acting like a real for profit business, people whine about that too.

I am just sick about it. Assuming that Dyer will be acquitted, does anyone have a sense of how long the adjudication could take?

Am I correct in understanding this could take a minimum of two months?

What's the maximum? Could we be possibly looking at having a "temporary" mayor for up to a year? Or God forbid longer?

We need a strong leader, a figurehead, a name and a face that is associated with leadership of our city.... I certainly hope and pray that my fears are misplaced, but I'm really worried that this is going to have a negative impact on development that hasn't been approved yet.

I am just sick about it. Assuming that Dyer will be acquitted, does anyone have a sense of how long the adjudication could take?

Am I correct in understanding this could take a minimum of two months?

What's the maximum? Could we be possibly looking at having a "temporary" mayor for up to a year? Or God forbid longer?

We need a strong leader, a figurehead, a name and a face that is associated with leadership of our city.... I certainly hope and pray that my fears are misplaced, but I'm really worried that this is going to have a negative impact on development that hasn't been approved yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Page gets the job until a special election his held in about two months. The winner gets the job until the next regular election. At any time in the process if Buddy is acquitted Jeb can reinstate him up until the regular election.

Archived