Norfolk Hilton Project

rusthebuss

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what is really holding the hilton up? I think it will happen after the westin has been revealed for the total height and i think va beach is doing the same thing

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They could at least put a rendering out though without having to tell us the actual height. I mean the Westin hasn't decide on its final height but they have a rendering out and they even have a website up. I think Hilton should be saying a little bit more than they are now.

The hotel has been already "unofficially" given the green light according to Mayor Paul Fraim in an interview on the Norfolk Neighborhood Network channel (NNN). The interview which is shown on the latest recording/episode of Council Update has aired on the channel once every morning and nighttime everyday for the last 2 weeks. I have already watched it numerous times and practically memorized it LOL. But specifically on the hotel, the Mayor said and I quote "Negotiations on the hotel are ongoing and we are VERY, VERY CLOSE to making a final deal. As a matter of fact, a letter of intent was JUST SIGNED and we hope to make an announcement VERY SOON."

No other details were revealed concerning the hotel though the mayor did add several comments including one detail that has been around for a while and that is "we'll have 250 high-quality luxury rooms downtown."

Just of another interest in that interview, the mayor also gave a lengthy and detailed response concerning Trader and the Trader project which was very interesting but that's a whole other topic in itself.

The hotel has been already "unofficially" given the green light according to Mayor Paul Fraim in an interview on the Norfolk Neighborhood Network channel (NNN). The interview which is shown on the latest recording/episode of Council Update has aired on the channel once every morning and nighttime everyday for the last 2 weeks. I have already watched it numerous times and practically memorized it LOL. But specifically on the hotel, the Mayor said and I quote "Negotiations on the hotel are ongoing and we are VERY, VERY CLOSE to making a final deal. As a matter of fact, a letter of intent was JUST SIGNED and we hope to make an announcement VERY SOON."

No other details were revealed concerning the hotel though the mayor did add several comments including one detail that has been around for a while and that is "we'll have 250 high-quality luxury rooms downtown."

Just of another interest in that interview, the mayor also gave a lengthy and detailed response concerning Trader and the Trader project which was very interesting but that's a whole other topic in itself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Vdogg wouldn't see that because you have to live in the city to have that channel, vdogg gets va beach channel if he has cox comm service. Also on the norfolk matter, i got a job working for verizon. They have a new product they are running: fiber optics to the premise and they have run most of the fiber in East Beach in OV. They have a central office up and running just no customers just yet. They are going to have voice, data and video services and the video is going to have 300 + channels with most of them digital. The internet service speeds will 5/2 m, 15/2, and 30/5 megs, that is crazy speeds.

Vdogg wouldn't see that because you have to live in the city to have that channel, vdogg gets va beach channel if he has cox comm service. Also on the norfolk matter, i got a job working for verizon. They have a new product they are running: fiber optics to the premise and they have run most of the fiber in East Beach in OV. They have a central office up and running just no customers just yet. They are going to have voice, data and video services and the video is going to have 300 + channels with most of them digital. The internet service speeds will 5/2 m, 15/2, and 30/5 megs, that is crazy speeds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats correct, i get VBTV, not privilaged to see Norfolks, though they may archive their programs on their webstie so i'll have to check it out. As far as the Trader tower, it is under construciton and they were drivinig piles today when i passed by the site.

P.S.

Rusthebuss- I have Verizon DSL and fully plan on getting the tv service as well, especially since cox cable has notified us that we have to have a box for every set in the house to have HBO on those sets. (we already are paying too much for too little IMO).

Thats correct, i get VBTV, not privilaged to see Norfolks, though they may archive their programs on their webstie so i'll have to check it out. As far as the Trader tower, it is under construciton and they were drivinig piles today when i passed by the site.

P.S.

Rusthebuss- I have Verizon DSL and fully plan on getting the tv service as well, especially since cox cable has notified us that we have to have a box for every set in the house to have HBO on those sets. (we already are paying too much for too little IMO).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They won't have DSL when fiber service comes to your area. You will have to choose from 3 speeds 5/2, 15/2, and 30/5.

I wonder what is really holding the hilton up? I think it will happen after the westin has been revealed for the total height and i think va beach is doing the same thing

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, i'll concede. I think you may be right about this. Look at the development forum and check out the Westins new height. :D .

lol. Hampton Roads Major projects forum, under this thread, 37 stories  :) .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's see, we got westin at 37 stories, we are "supposedly" getting Hilton at 25, but with a a project that has barely had any new announcements in the last 7 or 8 months the Hilton may never get built simply due to the fact Westin will never get built either ironicly because they continue to get taller LOL.

Naw on a serious note, Hilton may get more than 25 stories but I'm going to be conservative and call it at around 30-32 stories if height does get added. That's just me. For some reason, Downtown construction costs is what I think will hold the Hilton short of Westin height. You could look at it this way though, the Hilton WILL be taller because IT WONT have CONDOS on top of it lol. Either way, I'm excited and supportive of both projects.

Let's see, we got westin at 37 stories, we are "supposedly" getting Hilton at 25, but with a a project that has barely had any new announcements in the last 7 or 8 months the Hilton may never get built simply due to the fact Westin will never get built either ironicly because they continue to get taller LOL.

Naw on a serious note, Hilton may get more than 25 stories but I'm going to be conservative and call it at around 30-32 stories if height does get added. That's just me. For some reason, Downtown construction costs is what I think will hold the Hilton short of Westin height. You could look at it this way though, the Hilton WILL be taller because IT WONT have CONDOS on top of it lol. Either way, I'm excited and supportive of both projects.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I think realistically (sp?) we'll only see a height increase into the low thirties on the Hilton if at all. Now as for the Granby Towers project, with demand as high as it currently is, we may be looking at a significant height increase before all is said and done. :D

I agree. I think realistically (sp?) we'll only see a height increase into the low thirties on the Hilton if at all. Now as for the Granby Towers project, with demand as high as it currently is, we may be looking at a significant height increase before all is said and done. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you know what the demands are for the granby towers?

How do you know what the demands are for the granby towers?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was mentioned in a joint article about residential development downtown and the TCC project. Another project that is under construction downtown has 60 of its 99 condos already spoken for. I'll look for the article on my computer since i usually save thes things. When i find it i'll post it here.

It was mentioned in a joint article about residential development downtown and the TCC project. Another project that is under construction downtown has 60 of its 99 condos already spoken for. I'll look for the article on my computer since i usually save thes things. When i find it i'll post it here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have an original copy of that article. Originally it was supposed to be 11 stories and there was supposed to be 77 condos but they added 4 more floors (2 floors for TCC's administrative offices and 2 floors of additional condos now totaling 99 condos). The main reason for adding more condos was because around 60 have been taken (as of February 2005) and site work (much less construction on the actual building) has NOT begun yet! Even more interesting, at the end of February, my History professor mentioned the project and said "depending on who you talk to and based on demand, the building will be either 15 OR 17 stories."

I have an original copy of that article. Originally it was supposed to be 11 stories and there was supposed to be 77 condos but they added 4 more floors  (2 floors for TCC's administrative offices and 2 floors of additional condos now totaling 99 condos). The main reason for adding more condos was because around 60 have been taken (as of February 2005) and site work (much less construction on the actual building) has NOT begun yet! Even more interesting, at the end of February, my History professor mentioned the project and said "depending on who you talk to and based on demand, the building will be either 15 OR 17 stories."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope they do build it taller would be great for the skyline and i wouldn't doubt it due to the demand for condos downtown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope they do build it taller would be great for the skyline and i wouldn't doubt it due to the demand for condos downtown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They could be and with a post on one of the other forums, someone it will be 17 but we'll see 'cause the rendering only shows 15. If anything I'm counting on the hotel whether it be 25 stories or higher to give a much needed "lift" to the western side of the skyline. Trader will give that side a nice step up since its 21 stories but it may be hard to notice that since its one street away from main st.

They could be and with a post on one of the other forums, someone it will be 17 but we'll see 'cause the rendering only shows 15. If anything I'm counting on the hotel whether it be 25 stories or higher to give a much needed "lift" to the western side of the skyline. Trader will give that side a nice step up since its 21 stories but it may be hard to notice that since its one street away from main st.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You will notice the Trader building and i'm glad that they will stay in Norfolk. I can't wait to hear what they are going to build next.

Every tower that has been announced in the past year has undergone a significant redesign and height increase. I knew demand for Norfolk was high but come on now, were starting to get into some Florida style development here. And now with another tower possibly on the way from some Jacksonville developer its time for the developers of the Hilton to pipe up and say whats on their minds. I'm tired of waiting <_< . I just know that this is gonna be a major project when it's announced. :)

Every tower that has been announced in the past year has undergone a significant redesign and height increase. I knew demand for Norfolk was high but come on now, were starting to get into some Florida style development here. And now with another tower possibly on the way from some Jacksonville developer its time for the developers of the Hilton to pipe up and say whats on their minds. I'm tired of waiting <_< . I just know that this is gonna be a major project when it's announced. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

patience is a virtue, it will come in due time dude. I rather them wait it will make it more exciting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly what is that development from a Jacksonville developer you are referring to, what city is it for and where, and what company is going to anchor it?

Expect the Hotel announcement next month...

You will notice the Trader building and i'm glad that they will stay in Norfolk. I can't wait to hear what they are going to build next.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh I know Trader will be noticeable especially when driving on I-264 from the Va. Beach and Military Highway direction. The view of the skyline is really nice from that direction on the highway and with that view of downtown, Trader will fill right into the skyline on the right side of the main skyline with little or no "airspace gaps" between it the the closest building beside it in the view (which I think will be the Suntrust Tower but we'll see). I was just saying that Trader is will fill a gap in the skyline with the view coming from the suburban side of the city on Granby St. and Monticello Ave. and maybe even St. Paul's Blvd.

I repeat, do you know something we don't? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe, Maybe Not :P

If you want a little hint, on past events, the ones involved hinted at when announcements would come. I know this hotel has had many "announcement coming soon" slapped in various Virginian-Pilot articles but then again, the pilot still thinks the Trader Tower is only "19 or 20 stories". My projected announcement is based on the Mayor himself. Remember, the letter of intent was officially signed at the beginning of February and by the third week of February, the Mayor re-confirmed that in an interview shown on t.v. for a whole month and strongly noted that an announcement will be "very, very soon". Looking at the last 2 years of, everytime "very, very soon" popped up, an anouncement was officially made within 2 months.

Archived