Norfolk Hilton Project

rusthebuss

if anyone seems to know something we don't, it's probably you Willy haha. Thanks for posting an up-to-date rendering of Trader and even more, thanks for giving first floor blueprint plans! I don't remember anyone getting access and posting blueprints of buildings barely in construction! hahaha. I do wanna add that the strip of buildings along Granby St. beside the your note of the lot for the hotel and conference cener will also be torn down for that project just in case you didn't know. Thanks for the pix, maybe now you can also get us blueprints and floor plans for Granby Towers? :P

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ace,

I'm not sure you are correct about that strip of buildings along Granby Street being torn down.  What I have heard is that the Flatiron Building only will be torn down.  That is the large building at the corner of Granby and Main, representing the southwest corner of the site.  This building goes almost halfway up Granby towards Plume.  The rest of the buildings along Granby have some neat shops and restaurants in them and I am almost positive they are not going to be torn down.  This may have changed, but that is what I remember.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The building you are referring to on the corner of Granby and Main is the Ikon building which the city (if it hasn't done so already) plans to buy along with the Peter Decker building (the building on the east side of the lot along the Selden Arcade). The news was released publicly last year via the Virginian-pilot the same day BB&T announced their relocation to the former Suntrust Tower and sold the parking lot and drive-thru to Norfolk. In reality, the plan to buy the Ikon building and Peter Decker's building was released in a confidential letter between city council members 2 weeks BEFORE the pilot even made the news public. In addition, Decker did say he was moving into the building BB&T was leaving and that he has no intention to getting in the way of the city's progress. All that was 7 months ago.

Now even if i was wrong (which i don't believe i am) how realistic would it be to build a 4-STAR, 25-story, 250 room hotel that includes a conference center AND a parking garage on a lot that only has 62 parking spaces, a drive-thru ATM and tearing down a building that probably equals only 20 parking spaces. The Mariott across street is 3-star and 23 stories and its conference/convention center is twice the size of the planned conference center for Hilton. I think that's hardly enough land to fit all the necessities of a 4-star hotel, conference center and garage. Now if the rooms in this 4-star hotel equal in size to that of the local Days Inn then maybe its possible. Those shops along those strips of buildings are nice (I've walked by them numerous times) I honestly won't be surprised if they relocated anywhere else on Granby or even the retail space in the Trader Tower (Which is something I hope for 'cause they will get even more exposure.)

all of these things that we are discussing aren't a 100% written in stone, just look at what just happened to the Granby towers they became one tower that is taller. Most of this is speculation on our part. It will probably be more visiable once they actually release a rendering of the building. That's one big key here that all the other buildings that we have discussed have had renderings for us to look at. The city or Johnson have not disclosed anything to us yet. Lets hope it will be taller than the Westin. That would be great.

The building you are referring to on the corner of Granby and Main is the Ikon building which the city (if it hasn't done so already) plans to buy along with the Peter Decker building (the building on the east side of the lot along the Selden Arcade). The news was released publicly last year via the Virginian-pilot the same day BB&T announced their relocation to the former Suntrust Tower and sold the parking lot and drive-thru to Norfolk. In reality, the plan to buy the Ikon building and Peter Decker's building was released in a confidential letter between city council members 2 weeks BEFORE the pilot even made the news public. In addition, Decker did say he was moving into the building BB&T was leaving and that he has no intention to getting in the way of the city's progress. All that was 7 months ago.

Now even if i was wrong (which i don't believe i am) how realistic would it be to build a 4-STAR,

Ace,

My mistake referring to the Ikon Building as the Flatiron Building.  Don't know where I got that from!  (Somebody please tell me there is a Flatiron Building somewhere in the world!:))  I hear what you are saying and I am not positive, but I remember hearing or reading that those buildings would stay.  What you are suggesting...relocation to Trader or elsewhere on Granby...is certaining a good option.  I just remember there was a plan to build over top of those buildings to keep the older architecture.  As I said, I may be wrong, and I guess we will see soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I think it's basically a guarantee (sp?) that the Ikon building, Peter Decker building and those remaining strips of buildings will go but I did hear about the city council members as well as very vocal historian preservists saying that if the hotel is designed to have architecture that could represent like the building that they want to tear down, then they will very much try to push for it. The same reason the demolition for that one historic building in front of the AT&T tower has already agreed upon for whatever development comes along in the future.

But whatever may happen, whether I'm right or wrong, or whatever, I just hope the wait is worth it. Let's all keep our fingers crossed for the best

Here is a link to the program council update. It's an interview with Mayor Paul Fraim and he goes very in depth into development in Norfolk, including the Hilton :)http://www.norfolk.gov/tv48/council_update.asp

Simply look under council shows, and where it says guest click on mayor Paul Fraim.

***scroll about 30minutes in***

Here is a link to the program council update. It's an interview with Mayor Paul Fraim and he goes very in depth into development in Norfolk, including the Hilton :)  http://www.norfolk.gov/tv48/council_update.asp

Simply look under council shows, and where it says guest click on mayor Paul Fraim.

***scroll about 30minutes in***

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lets hope they disclose information very soon on the building. The hilton might not be a done deal or it is still being designed.

Lets hope they disclose information very soon on the building. The hilton might not be a done deal or it is still being designed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well in the interview he talked about the conference center not being finalized but an annoucement being made very soon. Keep in mind that this recording was made at the beginning of the month. Also, in a conversation about Trader, he said "hopefully we'll be in position for another office building in the very near future". Hmm....I wonder what that was all about? It has me thinking :) .

Especially when the garagae across the street has street level retail that is dead and bleak.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That garage is very much needed though 'cause parking is a constant need in downtown. As for the retail on the bottom floor, it's there to stay because the garage is being used plus all those retail spaces are occupied.

I don't know about y'all but I really admire that high-rise on the northwest corner of the intersection of Granby and City Hall Ave.

I did not mean that they should tear down the garage because I know parking is at a premium. I am hoping that there is some way they could renovate/add floors etc to that and incorporate it into the Hilton in lieu of buldozing one of the few historic strips of buildings left in downtown Norfolk. I hope that they don't tear those buildings down but if the past is any indicator of the future I better get down there and snap some pix soon hahhah

I did not mean that they should tear down the garage because I know parking is at a premium.  I am hoping that there is some way they could renovate/add floors etc to that and incorporate it into the Hilton in lieu of buldozing one of the few historic strips of buildings left in downtown Norfolk.  I hope that they don't tear those buildings down but if the past is any indicator of the future I better get down there and snap some pix soon hahhah

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I think they should add floors if possible to the garage and then add a pedestrian bridge that would connect to the one of the bottom floors which would likely be the conference center and obviously the hotel on top. That's a good idea and it would save the buildings on the southeast corner of Granby and Plume but then I think building designers may not like how the building loses its "flow" because of the building "missing" a corner. But oh well, whatever the case, I want an announcement and a rendering to look at! hahah

I'm wondering how much smaller the footprint is for the Hilton than the Marriott. The Marriott is 23 stories and has 405 rooms and the conference center that pretty much sits beside the hotel. The Hilton is supposed to have 250 rooms and stand 25+ stories. By comparison, I just don't see how the Hilton can be that much taller than 25 stories. The height would increase if they could build the parking garage and conference center under and not beside the main structure. Even if it is still only 25 stories it would really help the overall height, because the conference center alone should have some really high ceilings. I would imagine that the conference center will front main street and the parking garage will be built on Pl

Are the rooms that much larger in a 4-star hotel than in a 3-star hotel? Maybe that's the reason, larger rooms = less rooms per floor, meaning more floors to house the 250 total rooms.

I'm wondering how much smaller the footprint is for the Hilton than the Marriott. The Marriott is 23 stories and has 405 rooms and the conference center that pretty much sits beside the hotel. The Hilton is supposed to have 250 rooms and stand 25+ stories. By comparison, I just don't see how the Hilton can be that much taller than 25 stories. The height would increase if they could build the parking garage and conference center under and not beside the main structure. Even if it is still only 25 stories it would really help the overall height, because the conference center alone should have some really high ceilings. I would imagine that the conference center will front main street and the parking garage will be built on Pl

Are the rooms that much larger in a 4-star hotel than in a 3-star hotel? Maybe that's the reason, larger rooms = less rooms per floor, meaning more floors to house the 250 total rooms.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The rooms could be smaller or the marriott could be wider than the hilton there is no way to tell unless we could see a rendering of the building

The rooms could be smaller or the marriott could be wider than the hilton there is no way to tell unless we could see a rendering of the building
Yeah I know, I was just thinking...errr...writing:unsure:out loud.

I sure hope they give us a rendering soon, so we all can stop making up crap to help fill our Hilton void.

I don't think there is any good reason a 4-star hotel will have smaller rooms than a 3-star hotel. That simply doesn't make sense. It is a little mind boggling though when a 3-star hotel seems to have more rooms. I'm guessing the conference center will have the hotel on top of it like the Marriott but garage-wise i think it align itself along Plume St. That or they could do what they did with the Marriott and build a bridge to connect the conference center and hotel to the garage across the street but that may be a little far-fetched knowing that World Trade Center employees use that garage too. I dunno, like everyone here, a drawing/rendering of the building would greatly get us to shut up about what we think we know or daydream about when we really have no clue at all :angry:

We all know that word from city hall has been next to nothing concerning the Hilton with the exception of "there is going to be an announcement very soon". I myself am anxious about this project, just like others on this board. But I have confidence in Norfolk. This is going to be a major project for downtown Norfolk and I feel the city is going to take its time with it. They want everything to be in place before this goes public. I think the reason why we havent heard anything concrete lately is because after the Westin was announced in Va Beach, Norfolk, not wanting to be outdone, went "back to the drawing board" and raised the stakes. I could be wrong, but I feel this project is going to bigger than any of us ever thought.

Let's keep bringing ideas to the table and hoping for an announcement soon but let's also be patient. Good things come to those who wait. B)

I don't think there is any good reason a 4-star hotel will have smaller rooms than a 3-star hotel. That simply doesn't make sense. It is a little mind boggling though when a 3-star hotel seems to have more rooms. I'm guessing the conference center will  have the hotel on top of it like the Marriott but garage-wise i think it align itself along Plume St. That or they could do what they did with the Marriott and build a bridge to connect the conference center and hotel to the garage across the street but that may be a little far-fetched knowing that World Trade Center employees use that garage too. I dunno, like everyone here, a drawing/rendering of the building would greatly get us to shut up about what we think we know or daydream about when we really have no clue at all  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol, couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't think there is any good reason a 4-star hotel will have smaller rooms than a 3-star hotel. That simply doesn't make sense. It is a little mind boggling though when a 3-star hotel seems to have more rooms. I'm guessing the conference center will  have the hotel on top of it like the Marriott but garage-wise i think it align itself along Plume St. That or they could do what they did with the Marriott and build a bridge to connect the conference center and hotel to the garage across the street but that may be a little far-fetched knowing that World Trade Center employees use that garage too. I dunno, like everyone here, a drawing/rendering of the building would greatly get us to shut up about what we think we know or daydream about when we really have no clue at all  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I meant that the marriott has smaller rooms and the hilton will have alot larger rooms you mistook what i wrote or i wrote it incorrectly

I think the reason why we havent heard anything concrete lately is because after the Westin was announced in Va Beach, Norfolk, not wanting to be outdone, went "back to the drawing board" and raised the stakes.  I could be wrong, but I feel this project is going to bigger than any of us ever thought.

Let's keep bringing ideas to the table and hoping for an announcement soon but let's also be patient.  Good things come to those who wait. B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For some weird reason, I think that one quote by a Norfolk city council member saying "we already have projects significantly taller than what we already have in downtown coming down the pike" applies especially to the Hilton and Granby Tower. I hope they don't wait too long and I hope everyone at Va. Beach doesn't delay construction on the Westin 'cause that building looks so nice that I want to see it person! lol

Archived