Norfolk Hilton Project

rusthebuss

Maybe so. The city owns the IKON building, the parking lot, and the Decker building but I never heard anything officially concerning the rest of the buildings on Granby St. They can do it though 'cause the garage across the street is built accordingly with those two buildings on the corners of the block on Granby street. Are they seriously going to start tearing buildings down withing the next 2 months? That's pretty soon if they announce the hotel by the end of the month. I don't want them to rush too quickly on construction to tell you the truth. It will be a sudden, dramatic change in traffic and parking issues. That's me though but of course, business is business and unfortunately, the public usually has mininmal impact to such moves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you think about it though, it really wouldn't be rushing anything. We were supposed to have an official announcement back in October of last year, their time schedule is probably screwed as is. Mayor Fraim mentioned in that interview i posted that he would like all the projects completed by 2007, in time for Norfolks 400th anniversary. I don't know how realistic that is but he did state that goal. At either rate we should have plenty of stuff to fill the picture threads in the next month :) . Demolitions for the Harbor Heights project should be starting within the next few weeks (if not already, haven't been down there in a while so i don't know).

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This wouldn't be related to the failed "vertical power center" of a few years back would it? Something about that was mentioned in an article for the development of the HQ property in Va. Beach, because someone wanted to try something similar there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're going to need to help clue me in on exactly what the failed "vertical power center" is that you are referring to. I don't wanna get confused with the power plant shopping center in Hampton. The original proposal was that downtown plaza would be like a typical big box shopping center except it would have a garage instead of a parking lot and it would be multi-story (3 floors to be exact) in multiple building filled with entertainment and national food chains (think of it as the several 3 story Bravo Plazas from Town Center on a single property of land.)As far as the HQ property is concerned, I'm only aware of a developer wanting to rebuild that shopping center with better placement of buildings, exposure and parking. I also know that it would be like the typical big-box shopping center which like Va. Beach council, myself and probably you too, is disappointed to hear.

Whenever this building does start construction I'm gonna create a construction progress thread just like exist for the Trader Tower. I plan on having one for each project as it comes to fruition so we can start taking the load off of some of the development threads.

You're going to need to help clue me in on exactly what the failed "vertical power center" is that you are referring to. I don't wanna get confused with the power plant shopping center in Hampton. The original proposal was that downtown plaza would be like a typical big box shopping center except it would have a garage instead of a parking lot and it would be multi-story (3 floors to be exact) in multiple building filled with entertainment and national food chains (think of it as the several 3 story Bravo Plazas from Town Center on a single property of land.)As far as the HQ property is concerned, I'm only aware of a developer wanting to rebuild that shopping center with better placement of buildings, exposure and parking. I also know that it would be like the typical big-box shopping center which like Va. Beach council, myself and probably you too, is disappointed to hear.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, that is exactly the same thing. I have the article i just need to find it. The article states that the plan for that property is for a town center mirror development, however target also expressed interest in that property for the type of development that you just mentioned. It's a moot point discussing it without the article at hand however so i'll be back shortly :thumbsup: .

Yup that's the one! Thanks Vdogg! I'm not sure if you have it, but if you can find the article about city officials commenting on making the plaza as an area of court and city buildings, that would be great to refreshen my knowledge on the current status of that property. Only if you have it ok? If not, don't worry about it. Thanks man :thumbsup:

Yup that's the one! Thanks Vdogg! I'm not sure if you have it, but if you can find the article about city officials commenting on making the plaza as an area of court and city buildings, that would be great to refreshen my knowledge on the current status of that property. Only if you have it ok? If not, don't worry about it. Thanks man :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm pretty sure i have that one too. May be a bit harder to find but it shouldn't be a problem. I'll see what i can do. I think it was mentioned in relation to the sniper trials, or round about the same time.

When you think about it though, it really wouldn't be rushing anything. We were supposed to have an official announcement back in October of last year, their time schedule is probably screwed as is. Mayor Fraim mentioned in that interview i posted that he would like all the projects completed by 2007, in time for Norfolks 400th anniversary. I don't know how realistic that is but he did state that goal. At either rate we should have plenty of stuff to fill the picture threads in the next month  :) . Demolitions for the Harbor Heights project should be starting within the next few weeks (if not already, haven't been down there in a while so i don't know).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah Harbor heights will see site work and demolition soon. All buildings on that block except for the D'Art center are basically vacated already. I think D' Art will move when their space in the Selden Arcade is completed which is likely soon.

The Hilton Downtown Thread and the Norfolk Hilton News thread have been merged.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is the Hilton site is right across Plume Street from Trader or is one farther down a block than the other? It would be awesome to see two large building skeletons going up simultaneously!

Is the Hilton site is right across Plume Street from Trader or is one farther down a block than the other?  It would be awesome to see two large building skeletons going up simultaneously!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Hilton is immediately across from Trader and both projects going up at the same time will really have a dramatic impact on the skyline.

Is the Hilton site is right across Plume Street from Trader or is one farther down a block than the other? It would be awesome to see two large building skeletons going up simultaneously!

Thanks to Seven Cities over at SSP a.k.a. ace707(I think) for the pic. of the Hilton location.

10000642ip.jpg

10000612zg.jpg

Are you banging your head on the wall trying to keep these threads organized? :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, we have quite a few changes coming to the organizational structure of the Virginia forum that should help with that :D .

Just to clear any and all confusion, I'm ONLY posting here at urbanplanet. All the other threads of Norfolk, Va. Beach, Hampton Roads threads on SSC and Richmond City Watch and everything else, I only visit as guests but I am not a member or a message poster for any site but urban planet.

So it looks as though the hotel conference center has been approved at $25 million :)

"The City Council spent more than an hour discussing an arena, a proposed conference center and a concert hall. The conference center, which could cost up to $25 million, was the only facility to garner a commitment from the council."

"The council also plans to use some of the revenues to build a conference center that would be tied to a Hilton Hotel that Washington billionaire Robert L. Johnson has proposed building.

The conference center would have a 25,000-square foot ballroom

I'm willing to bet that the entire Hilton project will cost $50-75 million! Included in that is the already $25 million on the conference/convention center. Add a parking garage and 21 floors of 4-star hotel rooms and we could see the single most expensive hospitality project in our whole region to date!

With more and more of these hints and tidbits coming out, can we expect a formal announcement soon?

*moves toward edge of seat*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the conference center vote was the only thing left to cement this deal. If i were a betting man i'd say within a week. Two at the most. That is unless they want to wait for the IDA cnoference to drop the bomb.

Archived