Buffalo, New York - Downtown

hkskyline

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha... it has a lot to do with buffalo

ya'll got lots to learn about cities. I guess if you don't see the relationship between the two now than I'd be wasting my time trying to explain it to you

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why don't you try then? I needs me some splainin.

The relationship between Poughkeepsie and Buffalo is that both of their downtown areas are depressed, as stores move out to the burbs. The only difference is that Buffalo is not in close proximity to NYC, and therefore cannot leech off of the economic benefits that Poughkeepsie can.

septin that yer only talkin bout Poughkeepsie and not bout Buffalo at all.  Why don't-ya just make a new Poughkeepsie thread?

Maybe I just need me some more splainin. I'm not gittin it at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about you actually talk about Buffalo if you're so concerned? Conversations in topic boards bob and weave between various things. Deal with it. What about Buffalo do you want to discuss?

- Garris

Providence, RI

How about you actually talk about Buffalo if you're so concerned?  Conversations in topic boards bob and weave between various things.  Deal with it.  What about Buffalo do you want to discuss?

- Garris

Providence, RI

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK

I have been to Buffalo and I have been to Poughkeepsie and I do not find any similarities. Perhaps the discussion could bob a little so that people could understand the relevance of Poughkeepsie. Then we can move on to Providence and then on to Concord and then on to ....

Oh yes thank you very much for the forum lessons. It has helped out very much.

It seems to me that when Buffalo was considering its light rail/subway, the planners took a trip to europe, saw the many transit/pedestrian malls that can be found there, and said "that looks neat; that's what we need!"

They completely ignored the facts that:

1. Buffalo is not in Europe

2. Americans are not Europeans

3. Buffalo has very inhospitable winters, and staying in a heated car as long as possible is absolutely essential for several months each year (nobody wants to wait in bone-chilling cold on a platform for a train to show up.)

Is the subway portion of the line well used?

the subway portion is used a lot. What people don't understand is that build mass transit doesn't bring development if its put in an environment built for cars. Most of the areas it serves, while originally built for pedestrians, was attempted to be adapted for automobiles, and hence, there is little pedestrian traffic. Because of this, the subway line has failed to bring any substantial growth to the areas it serves.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This building is cool. It is a little italian in styling.

It looks as if it was meant to be connected to another building, or was designed with the possible construction of another building next door in mind. Was there ever another building to it's left?

Yes there was. It also had a fabulous copper cornice that was removed

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Wow, great pics! Being a Floridian, Buffalo sure looks foreign. It looks like a European City, out of place for such a beautiful, authentic looking City in our austere American Culture!

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

right on!

the subway portion is used a lot. What people don't understand is that build mass transit doesn't bring development if its put in an environment built for cars. Most of the areas it serves, while originally built for pedestrians, was attempted to be adapted for automobiles, and hence, there is little pedestrian traffic. Because of this, the subway line has failed to bring any substantial growth to the areas it serves.

needed the stadium (rich) to support the mass transit.

It seems to me that when Buffalo was considering its light rail/subway, the planners took a trip to europe, saw the many transit/pedestrian malls that can be found there, and said "that looks neat; that's what we need!"

They completely ignored the facts that:

1. Buffalo is not in Europe

2. Americans are not Europeans

3. Buffalo has very inhospitable winters, and staying in a heated car as long as possible is absolutely essential for several months each year (nobody wants to wait in bone-chilling cold on a platform for a train to show up.)

Is the subway portion of the line well used?

depends.... for hockey games or concerts yes. but there is no other real pedestrian magnet in down town. train does not extend out into suburbs.

It appears you guys have a decent public transportation system going. If only most cities could take advantage of light-rail as an effective form of public transit.

but it doesn't work well. not extensice enough.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Id like to see more photos of Buffalo. Northeastern Cities fascinate me in that they are more European than West Coast cities (Except maybe San Francisco). Ive never been to the Northeast, I plan on going in a year or so. Buffalo is definately going to be one of my stops. Heck, I wouldnt mind relocating. I love the snowy cold. In the Seattle area, it hardly ever snows, yet were actually farther north than Bufffalo, the irony.... Anywho, I am just stopping by this forum to let you know you have a great city and that I would appreciate more photos of it. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice pics. Gives a good feel for downtown and the fact that it's dominated by beautiful historic buildings but very much lacks more modern architecture. The Key towers are nice but simply modern buildings though. On an unrelated note I always wondered why M&T Plaza was built with a blank white concrete side, as if it were backed by another structure.

Thanks for the pics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived