Greenshields Brewery decides not to open back up

Flash

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you beat me to the punch posting this.

what a wonderful space the old Greenshields is. Certainly, someone will gladly move on in. I caught the news on WRAL's web site, and judging from their tone, finding a new tenant there would be problematic. How? That place is very central, and lovely, plus you've got artspace and all the other little shops there.

It's perfect for a brew pub. Maybe Bonnilou's (sic) could move there? Major props to anyone who's been to their 'bar' on Atlantic Ave.-it's a secret place!

I thought they were going to reopen it! Oh crap, they had good beer. That location is perfect, a really good tenant better lease that space. Did they actually repair the building? I remember damage really wasn't that bad because the timbers were so damn thick.

Greenshields had their problems with sanitation - grade B when I went there last, which must be reflective of their management.  Might have had something to do with it.  It's always funny how you always notice bad sanitation grades on the way out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember seeing that B rating, Blueize <_< . Not so cool. Darryl's on Hillsborough St. (great building! Why isn't it reoccupied yet????) went the same route, and was actually closed a few times by the health dept. accordingly.

I will be extremely dissapointed and surprised if the City Market building isn't occupied again, soon. You can't ask for much better, space-wise. You can get a healthy lunch crowd from the nearby Progress Energy building and state/local gov't areas, and at night you've got Tir Na Nog, Duck and Dumpling, Pourhouse, Rum Runners (ugh so cheesy but the kids love it), and several other night spots right in the same area. Whoever occupies that space has the potential to be a much better anchor than Greenshields was.

I think there are plenty Irish themed restaurants in Raleigh as it is, I don't think losing this one will hurt too bad, plus the food wasn't very good the last few times I was there. Here's hoping a quality tenant will step in and make this a destination location once again.

Maybe an urban Applebees will lease the space! Hahaha, just kidding.

I think that maybe they should try something like a larger version of Cafe Cyclo (in Cameron Village) minus the Vietnamese food. :) I like the idea of a coffeehouse, bar, lounge, and a diner all in one... and the Greenshields space is certainly large enough to accomodate all of that.

I think there are plenty Irish themed restaurants in Raleigh as it is, I don't think losing this one will hurt too bad, plus the food wasn't very good the last few times I was there.  Here's hoping a quality tenant will step in and make this a destination location once again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Greenshields was supposed to be Irish? They didn't do a very good job of theming

• 2 months later...

Is there enough parking for a full service grocery in that location?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It doesn't have to be a mega "destination" grocer like a Harris Teeter to serve the market. Check out the Grove Corner Market in Asheville - they seem to be doing alright with very limited parking. Few would drive in from the 'burbs to shop there, but downtown residents and tourists seem to like it.

Besides, if people could get over the idea that grocery store = enormous surface parking lot, the Moore Square Station deck is less than half a block away.

Archived