sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

Alot people talk bad about norfolk and its so called big head but remember how old the city is, over 400. Norfolk was trying to put up the money to bring the a team to the area. The other cities like va beach have really only been around since the 60s. When norfolk tried to bring the expos the only support they got was ok that sounds good and maybe a commercial

Alot people talk bad about norfolk and its so called big head but remember how old the city is, over 400. Norfolk was trying to put up the money to bring the a team to the area. The other cities like va beach have really only been around since the 60s. When norfolk tried to bring the expos the only support they got was ok that sounds good and maybe a commercial

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think Norfolk has a big head at all. Charlotte has a big head, Atlanta, actually all of those very large major cities have a certain attitude that they're the big kid on the block. It's a natural attitude for a major city to have but i can't say i've seen it from Norfolk. Maybe thats part of the problem. Perhaps they need to step up and assert themselves as the business center of this region. Nobodys gonna just give them that title, thats for damn sure. They're just gonna have to take it. The expos is what i consider our first "true" shot at getting a major team. We'll likely have to try and fail many more times before something actually sticks. That being said, we had no chance against D.C. The only reason we were in the running is because D.C. f*cked up and started adding stipulations after negotiations had already been completed.

Edited by vdogg

I don't think Norfolk has a big head at all. Charlotte has a big head, Atlanta, actually all of those very large major cities have a certain attitude that they're the big kid on the block. It's a natural attitude for a major city to have but i can't say i've seen it from Norfolk. Maybe thats part of the problem. Perhaps they need to step up and assert them selves as the business center of this region. Nobodys gonna just give them that title, thats for damn sure. They're just gonna have to take it. The expos is what i consider our first "true" shot at getting a major team.  We'll likely have to try and fail many more times before something actually sticks. That being said, we had no chance against D.C. The only reason we were in the running is because D.C. f*cked up and started adding stipulations after negotiations had already been completed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really think baseball always had DC picked they used Norfolk, Las Vegas, etc. to make DC give them a good deal on a stadium. Norfolk will have a team, it will probably be 5-10 years or so. I'm going on the limb to say that but that is my educated guess, i think after downtown develops more. I think it will be NBA.

I agree and the overhead to run the team is the least expensive of the major three sports.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While this is true, Norfolk has to take anything that comes its way. They should not get in the business of passing up opportunities just because one sport may be more preferable to another.

I agree and the overhead to run the team is the least expensive of the major three sports.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah plus, aside from probably being cheaper to build I think you can get more use out of a 19,000-seat arena than a 40,000-seat baseball stadium (i.e. trade shows, conventions, concerts year-round, etc.)

I didn't mean for norfolk to pass anything up i just meant that i would be cheaper and easier to attain a basketball team(80 some games) than baseball (160 some games) and i know that all of them are not home games. Less money to build a 20,000 seat arena than a 35,000 seat diamond.

When the hell is the Scope going to be replaced. For an area of our size to have the Scope as the major arena for the area is a joke

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Norfolk is discussing about building a 20,000 seat arena now instead of waiting for a team that way there is no excuse for a team to turn the area down.

Norfolk is discussing about building a 20,000 seat arena now instead of waiting for a team that way there is no excuse for a team to turn the area down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah they have been doing that for a while now and really that is the reason why New Orleans and Charlotte landed NBA teams, they both simply got favorable views for mainly already having an arena to fit their needs IMMEDIATELY. Neither city obviously would have forced the league to wait 3 years to construct an arena.

I know the city is actively trying to have it next door to Harbor Park but I can't help but feel that I think it should replace Scope at that same location. I understand though 'cause traffic is horrible out there on Brambleton and St. Paul's Blvd throughout the day plus it could mean relocating Chrysler Hall which would probably be even more costly. Oh well, it doesn't hurt to dream right?

Don't take me the wrong way here but I honestly think a 20,000-seat arena is too big. There aren't very many 20,000 seat arenas in the NBA (Chicago and L.A. both come in at around 24,000 for basketball). I think 18,000 to maybe 19,000 is a better fit for our region but then again, if history has anything to say about it, 20,000 could be better in the long run since Scope was considered a big arena back in the day and look now, it's too small for events. So we'll see what happens with the arena, as long as the city is looking in the long-run rather than the short-term.

Just out of curiousity (and sake for a conversation), what is the likelyhood of Va. Beach making an arena in Town Center and how do you think that would affect either Norfolk, Va. Beach or the region in general in getting a team? Would both Norfolk and Va.Beach making arenas be a good thing or bad?

When the hell is the Scope going to be replaced. For an area of our size to have the Scope as the major arena for the area is a joke

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. As you said in one of your previous post Greenville, SC has a better arena than Hampton Roads - that just doesnt add up. I understand that funding has to be in place for an arena, but with Scope being 30+ years old, funding sources should have been identified when Scope started approaching 25 years old. However I feel that if and when a new arena is built, Scope should remain standing. It can continue to fill a niche for smaller events that currently take place there such as Admirals games or Arena Racing. Even though the Admirals average 4K to 5K in fans per game, its not a feasible to have them play in a 20,000 seat arena with 15,000 empty seats. But hey, 20,000 fans for an Admirals game wouldn't be bad.

However I feel that if and when a new arena is built, Scope should remain standing.  It can continue to fill a niche for smaller events that currently take place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree with you in one respect. I believe that after the arena is built it would be a much better use of that land to tear down the scope and use it for the further expansion of downtown, whether it be condo or office development.

I disagree with you in one respect. I believe that after the arena is built it would be a much better use of that land to tear down the scope and use it for the further expansion of downtown, whether it be condo or office development.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with vdogg, the land is becoming scarce and we need to develop it. But i do understand the scope is an area landmark so it would hard to part with but it needs to go. I really hope they do build it and hopefully soon.

http://www.norfolk.gov/Planning/comehome/N...k2010Poster.pdf

Link to Norfolks 2010 plan. Page 1 clearly shows the arena next to the scope (aerial view). Page 2 has a rendering from street level entitled arena option. The more i see of it the more i like it. We need to get that thing built! :)

Edited by vdogg

Now that i've taken a closer look, there is a rendering on the bottom right corner of page 2 entitled "waterfront arena option". I guess they're considering both options. The downtown rendering looks the best though imo.

Edited by vdogg

Since ODU built a smaller up to date arena, I think the Scope should be blown up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That costs money too. They still wanted the admirals to play downtown that is probably why it has not been demolished, but if they do they could play in the Ted for the duration of the building of the new arena.

Since ODU built a smaller up to date arena, I think the Scope should be blown up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even if imploding Scope was a consider option, we would still be held back by the problem where to put people who use Chrysler Hall for several years. I also saw the 2010 Norfolk Downtown plan and I think their suggestion for the new arena across the street is too small. I park in the garage located there and while you could put the PROBABLY fit the arena on that block, you would need to find a place to build a garage and in reality, I don't want a downtown lookin' like a place full of garages.

Even if imploding Scope was a consider option, we would still be held back by the problem where to put people who use Chrysler Hall for several years. I also saw the 2010 Norfolk Downtown plan and I think their suggestion for the new arena across the street is too small. I park in the garage located there and while you could put the PROBABLY fit the arena on that block, you would need to find a place to build a garage and in reality, I don't want a downtown lookin' like a place full of garages.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/qu

I think they are looking where to put and thats why they where talking about putting it next to harbor park. Then taking scope out and building high rises there.