sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

They stadium is already there, the soccer stadium is the size it needs to be for football stadium. What colleges? Not 1AA divison and there is alot people here that are pushing and support it. I would take my family there and it would generate money for the school and would attract more students to the school.

I voted yes to see ODU get football. I'll be there in a year and a half and can't wait to go to football games. I think it will be great for the school. Also for the area because ODU knows how to get talent and produce great teams. Unlike others in Norfolk and Hampton. I ready to see some good football.

People are so quick to try to stop everything good coming here. If you don't like it live somewhere else. I bet most of you don't even have roots here. I was born here and want this area to really grow to reach its potential. People move here and oppose everything that is proposed here.

And ODU's teams are doing great. Men and womens basketballs rocked this year. I did follow them really closely, but I read the headlines :)

I am an ODU alumni and I definately support a football team...and maybe for a skued reason, he he he. I was a music major.. percussionist , graduated in 2002 and march a DCI drum and bugle corps prior to college(if any of you happen to know what DCI is). Being ODU doesn't have a football team, ODU doesn't have a marching band. So, if they get a football team, they'll FINALLY get a marching band.

That would be great for recruitment for ODU's fine arts college annd music department.

Metalman

pro teams cost a hell of a lot of money and i'm not so sure that many local gov'ts get their money's worth. It is nice to say that you have a pro team in your city, but statistically, I'm not sure it is really that beneficial. It's one of those White Elephants.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Every time Seattle turns around one of their pro teams is demanding something new or they will move. Fisrt the Mariners, then the Seahawks, and now the Sonics are beotching. It becomes an annoying cycle. Pro teams look good for your typical person, but cities and states just have to pay alot of money, especially when the team is winning.

hey this isnt really norfolk sports but .....

Virginia Beach Mariners,

It would be very nice if you played rough against Montreal on Saturday. They are traveling to Richmond on Sunday to try to beat the Kickers which won't happen. But just to be safe, give'em hell.

Thanks a lot,

Richmond

• 2 weeks later...

Proposed Stadium Development - Norfolk, VA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norfolk, VA (Hampton Roads)

William Somerindyke, Jr. and Jason Osborne pulled off, what at first was viewed as inconceivable, sell Norfolk, VA as a viable option for MLB to consider for the relocation of the Montreal Expos. What Norfolk lacked in size, they made up for in moxy. Painted manhole covers that resembled baseballs, and a colorful series of ads showing politicians from the Hampton Roads area in baseball garb, pulled Norfolk from obscurity into a group that garnered considerable coverage.

The Norfolk Baseball Company (NBC) is still in existence, looking for other MLB relocation possibilities or another Big-4 sport to bring Norfolk and the Hampton Roads area their first major league franchise.

Principal players are:

The Norfolk Baseball Company -

(William Somerindyke, Jr., CEO - Jason Osborne, President/COO)

Rick Horrow, consultant

Norfolk Mayor Paul D. Fraim

Proposed Interim Facility: Harbor Park (to be expanded from 18,000 for MLB purposes)

Upgrade cost: $12 million

Permanent MLB site location under consideration:

Location in parking lot next to current Harbor Park. Current facility would be used for 2-3 seasons while new stadium is built adjacent to Harbor Park. The current facility would be demolished after construction of the permanent MLB facility.

Stadium Design:

35,000 - 38,000-seat stadium including 60 - 70 luxury suites.

Harbor Park in present state

Projected Cost Estimates:

$306 million total project (includes expansion and demolition)

$240 million construction of just the permanent ballpark facility

Financing Proposal Breakdown:

story

Looks like those two are not giving up on this MLB thing, I hope they aren't wasting their time.

Proposed Stadium Development - Norfolk, VA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norfolk, VA (Hampton Roads)

William Somerindyke, Jr. and Jason Osborne pulled off, what at first was viewed as inconceivable, sell Norfolk, VA as a viable option for MLB to consider for the relocation of the Montreal Expos. What Norfolk lacked in size, they made up for in moxy. Painted manhole covers that resembled baseballs, and a colorful series of ads showing politicians from the Hampton Roads area in baseball garb, pulled Norfolk from obscurity into a group that garnered considerable coverage.

The Norfolk Baseball Company (NBC) is still in existence, looking for other MLB relocation possibilities or another Big-4 sport to bring Norfolk and the Hampton Roads area their first major league franchise.

Principal players are:

The Norfolk Baseball Company -

(William Somerindyke, Jr., CEO - Jason Osborne, President/COO)

Rick Horrow, consultant

Norfolk Mayor Paul D. Fraim

Proposed Interim Facility: Harbor Park (to be expanded from 18,000 for MLB purposes)

Upgrade cost: $12 million

Permanent MLB site location under consideration:

Location in parking lot next to current Harbor Park. Current facility would be used for 2-3 seasons while new stadium is built adjacent to Harbor Park. The current facility would be demolished after construction of the permanent MLB facility.

Stadium Design:

35,000 - 38,000-seat stadium including 60 - 70 luxury suites.

Harbor Park in present state

Projected Cost Estimates:

$306 million total project (includes expansion and demolition)

$240 million construction of just the permanent ballpark facility

Financing Proposal Breakdown:

story

Looks like those two are not giving up on this MLB thing, I hope they aren't wasting their time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too. It's good to see someones still trying though.