sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

Hello folks, I'm new to this board and I just want to take a moment to say what a wonderful job all of you do in keeping it informative. I think I recognize a few of you from the old NBC board but I might be mistaken. Anyhow, I thought I'd post this render I pulled from the NBC board just before it went down. It's great, It's what should have been and maybe..what will be. :thumbsup:

Great to be onboard, Merrittk92

NorfolkBallpark.jpg

Wow, great pic Merrittk92! I think I also remember you on the NBC board. I always wished they would have left it open, but this site fulfulls my need for Norfolk info.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No doubt. I've learned more from this site and It's members than I have from "The Pilot" & Daily Press combined. :whistling:

Hello folks, I'm new to this board and I just want to take a moment to say what a wonderful job all of you do in keeping it informative. I think I recognize a few of you from the old NBC board but I might be mistaken. Anyhow, I thought I'd post this render I pulled from the NBC board just before it went down. It's great, It's what should have been and maybe..what will be. :thumbsup:

Great to be onboard,  Merrittk92

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the forum Merrittk92, its good to have you onboard. That is an absolutely awesome picture and I really hope that we can see something like that here. Also, can any of you guys tell me what the NBC board is, I've never heard of it.

Welcome to the forum Merrittk92, its good to have you onboard. That is an absolutely awesome picture and I really hope that we can see something like that here. Also, can any of you guys tell me what the NBC board is, I've never heard of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NBC board was the site run by the Norfolk Baseball Company. Remember, the folks that did a damn good job trying to bring the Expos to Norfolk.

By the way, Vdogg I can't say enough about your H.R. Projects thread. Obviously a lot of hard work goes into it and man..it shows. :thumbsup:

Edited by Merrittk92

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On www.norfolkmlb.com , there used to be a forum where we would discuss the possibility of the Montreal Expos moving here. We even got to Norfolk's economic development and whatnot. The forum was closed however when the Expos went to DC. There is supposedly a new Norfolk MLB site coming soon. The other one is still operational, but very empty as you can see.

Edit: ooops I didn't see Merrittk92's post, sorry vdogg. But also yeah, the projects thread is amazing! I still look at it and marvel at all our projects! :D

Edited by okinawatyphoon

On www.norfolkmlb.com , there used to be a forum where we would discuss the possibility of the Montreal Expos moving here. We even got to Norfolk's economic development and whatnot. The forum was closed however when the Expos went to DC. There is supposedly a new Norfolk MLB site coming soon. The other one is still operational, but very empty as you can see.

Edit: ooops I didn't see Merrittk92's post, sorry vdogg. But also yeah, the projects thread is amazing! I still look at it and marvel at all our projects!

Edited by Merrittk92

Okinawa, I've heard rumors of a new board for MLB in Norfolk but haven't found any "official" ones. I do correspond with a handfull of folks at Norfolk Baseball. Which is strictly a grass roots site. I feel the need to consolidate it with this thread. It should make for a very informative venue.  :thumbsup:

Also Okinawa if, and I know you have, been following MLB news then you are aware that at least 3 or 4 teams might be in the market for relocation. You seem to have a gift for gathering that which others would prefer to remain quite. So keep your eyes & ears open. I will attempt to do the same. B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, thanks for the yahoo groups link and the kind words. I remain hopeful that Norfolk will get a major league team. It is only a matter of time.... :whistling:

Wow, thanks for the yahoo groups link and the kind words. I remain hopeful that Norfolk will get a major league team. It is only a matter of time.... :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude I can't wait till the day that I can take my family to a major league game in my city. I get tired of arguing with people that it will happen. I want it to happen just to shut them up. Alot of people have no faith in this area for a major league team but I do. What three teams are looking to relocate? You also have to watch out because alot of teams do that just to get the city to pay for things.

Im with you Rus! im 25, by the time im 40(hopefully 35) we should have at least 1 team(maybe 2) and our downtown should be as big as Charlotte, if not bigger.

Anyone agree?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we might have a major league team, but I don't think our downtown will surpass Charlotte's. Even if they stopped construction now, it would take at least 10 years I would say for us to catch up, if not more. Charlotte is undergoing a HUGE condo building spree. You think the Granby is big, well Charlotte has like 4 Granby + sized condo towers going up. I only wish we had that for Norfolk, but who knows, maybe soon! :):rolleyes::thumbsup:

Dude I can't wait till the day that I can take my family to a major league game in my city. I get tired of arguing with people that it will happen. I want it to happen just to shut them up. Alot of people have no faith in this area for a major league team but I do. What three teams are looking to relocate? You also have to watch out because alot of teams do that just to get the city to pay for things.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rus, lets keep our collective eyes on the Florida Marlins, Oakland A's, K.C. Royals & Minnesota Twins. All of these teams are seeking funding for new stadiums. Where they are having problems is in convincing their respective state legislatures to ante-up their (team's) desired amount. Each franchise has different issues both financial & political. My guess is that they will use the threat of relocation as leverage to obtain said funds. Remember, MLB does not particularly like private financing. So if the state doesn't want to "Play Ball" they'll take their toys elsewhere. :o

Odds of relocation? For any of the mentioned teams I personally say 1 in 4 at best (just a layman's bet). Keep an eye toward the Marlins, they seem to be the most likely candidate at the moment. Also, don't expect any major attempt to relocate until MLB finds an ownership group for the Nats. MLB likes to deal with one problem at a time. :wacko:

Anyhow, thats just my take. What do you folks think, Norfolk have a chance? :w00t:

Edited by Merrittk92

NBC board was the site run by the Norfolk Baseball Company. Remember, the folks that did a damn good job trying to bring the Expos to Norfolk.

By the way, Vdogg I can't say enough about your H.R. Projects thread. Obviously a lot of hard work goes into it and man..it shows.  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder if these guys are still trying to get a team here? Does anyone know this?

NBC is aparently still in buisness.  They're just waiting for another possible relocation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

where did you find out that they are still in business? Did you contact them. Those guys are taking a big chance on the relocation of a team to this area. I wish that I could meet them and thank them for their efforts for this area. I think we need more people like them to bring this area alive. I like their attitudes and the faith they bring to this area. I feel the same way they do!!!

Rus, lets keep our collective eyes on the Florida Marlins, Oakland A's, K.C. Royals & Minnesota Twins. All of these teams are seeking funding for new stadiums. Where they are having problems is in convincing their respective state legislatures to ante-up their (team's) desired amount. Each franchise has different issues both financial & political. My guess is that they will use the threat of relocation as leverage to obtain said funds. Remember, MLB does not particularly like private financing. So if the state doesn't want to "Play Ball" they'll take their toys elsewhere. :o

Odds of relocation? For any of the mentioned teams I personally say 1 in 4 at best (just a layman's bet). Keep an eye toward the Marlins, they seem to be the most likely candidate at the moment. Also, don't expect any major attempt to relocate until MLB finds an ownership group for the Nats. MLB likes to deal with one problem at a time. :wacko:

Anyhow, thats just my take. What do you folks think, Norfolk have a chance? :w00t:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The A's and the Marlins IMO are the two most likely teams to relocate. If the A's do move I think they'll stay on the west coast and move to either Portland or Las Vegas... my bet, Las Vegas. Yes, our best bet is probably the Marlins... but if they do move it won't be within the next three years.

where did you find out that they are still in business? Did you contact them. Those guys are taking a big chance on the relocation of a team to this area. I wish that I could meet them and thank them for their efforts for this area. I think we need more people like them to bring this area alive. I like their attitudes and the faith they bring to this area. I feel the same way they do!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read it a while ago. Sorry, I don't have a link for you.

It went something like... "Even though the Expos didn't move here we will still continue to try and bring a team to Norfolk."

The A's and the Marlins IMO are the two most likely teams to relocate.  If the A's do move I think they'll stay on the west coast and move to either Portland or Las Vegas... my bet, Las Vegas.  Yes, our best bet is probably the Marlins... but if they do move it won't be within the next three years. 

Thats a good call John. Lets keep our eyes open. My guess is that if it happens, it will happen after next season. Also, I don't think the Marlins would leave the East coast. Locally, yes..yes I believe there is a "quite" movement afoot to lure a team to Norfolk. It's going to take all of us, with our collective eyes & ears open, to find out. So lets start digging! :thumbsup: