sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

Forgetting the fact that Hampton Roads has produced some of the nation's foremost athletes over the past decade or two, I think the only major thing that will put us on the map sports-wise would be a major event being held here.  I think that a US MLS or WUSA Championship game in Va Beach would help to draw some attention and other sports would begin to take notice.  Having a rapidly growing sport like soccer hold a major tournament here with national television coverage would be a boon to our chances for other, future sports franchises investing in us.  Of course this may be swayed by my love for soccer... but I think it's a smart move because we've held several tournaments in the past including international games and minor-league championships.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm a soccer fan to just like yourself, but I've heard it looks murky in HR (which baffles me because of the size and talent of the youth clubs there). I've heard from different people that the Va Beach Mariners might go belly up/relocate. That wouldn't be good at all. Talk of losing a Div 1 USL team doesn't make the chances of an MLS team or major televised tournaments look the hottest. They have a nice facility and everything. It would really be a shame. Not to mention losing the great rivalry between the Kickers and Mariners. Also, for an International Club Friendly like Man U and Real Madid or AC Milan an Arsenal, is there a facility large enough in the area to support it? I know they usually play in large cities with NFL stadiums or large college stadiums....

I'm a soccer fan to just like yourself, but I've heard it looks murky in HR (which baffles me because of the size and talent of the youth clubs there). I've heard from different people that the Va Beach Mariners might go belly up/relocate. That wouldn't be good at all. Talk of losing a Div 1 USL team doesn't make the chances of an MLS team or major televised tournaments look the hottest. They have a nice facility and everything. It would really be a shame. Not to mention losing the great rivalry between the Kickers and Mariners. Also, for an International Club Friendly like Man U and Real Madid or AC Milan an Arsenal, is there a facility large enough in the area to support it? I know they usually play in large cities with NFL stadiums or large college stadiums....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The attendance record at Giants stadium (98,000 or something) was a Man U game.

I wasn't making realistic expectations, but if they did small exhibition games then we could draw attention. Plus I think people don't like driving to the far corner of the metro to go to a minor league game.... <_<

From what I've seen they have very poor marketing for the team. That is probably the main reason. If they put it in Norfolk in Harbor Park or something maybe people would go to it. That part of VaBeach is way out of the way for most people. People from the pennisula hate crossing the tunnel but when you add the extra distance on top of it they pass.

From what I've seen they have very poor marketing for the team. That is probably the main reason. If they put it in Norfolk in Harbor Park or something maybe people would go to it. That part of VaBeach is way out of the way for most people. People from the pennisula hate crossing the tunnel but when you add the extra distance on top of it they pass.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I am a crazy soccer fan and I'm sure if there was a team on the Peninsula I would go see it. I even go see CNU play sometimes (who have a surprisingly talented squad) ... but I have only been to a Mariners game once. I think the problem with the Mariners can be partially attributed to poor marketing, but I think it really could sell itself if it just had a better location. Most people on the Peninsula, at least that I know, hardly ever go to Virginia Beach even for the beach. Most of us figure that if we're going to go take a long trip it may as well be to Nags Head.

The fact that the Mariners are located far away in a relatively obscure location makes it difficult to inspire willingness to go. Especially on the spur of a moment.

I hate going to Norfolk enough but to VA Beach it needs to be a damn fine occasion. It's unfortunate that it's that way but it's reality. One of Hampton Roads's greatest assets is our geographic diversity but sometimes it can be a negative too. Our region is delineated and spliced in ways that you really don't see elsewhere.

I love when we beat up on Richmond! Go Tides!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why am I not surprised,Rus? :lol:

And why didn't you mention that attendance at Harbor Park was far greater than face-offs at The Diamond? Seems I read that there were over 10,000 one recent night, and over 7,000 the next in your waterside park.

Norfolk is really drubbing poor old Richmond! :wub:

And why didn't you mention that attendance at Harbor Park was far greater than face-offs at The Diamond?  Seems I read that there were over 10,000 one recent night, and over 7,000 the next in your waterside park.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We are rivals, its like Atlanta playing the Mets. I'm a big Mets fan.

And why didn't you mention that attendance at Harbor Park was far greater than face-offs at The Diamond?  Seems I read that there were over 10,000 one recent night, and over 7,000 the next in your waterside park.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We love our Tides here! There are some hard core fans here that don't miss games. I love taking the fam down to Harbor Park. Its a beautiful park. :thumbsup:

yea Richmond sucks big time this year because Atlanta has had injuries out the wazoo and all the good players got called up. I'm surprised Richmond hasnt started pulling fans out of the stands lol.....and to think they went to the IL championships last season.... Hope norfolk gets there! As long as its VA, I could care less. (Braves destroy the mets btw haha)

yea Richmond sucks big time this year because Atlanta has had injuries out the wazoo and all the good players got called up. I'm surprised Richmond hasnt started pulling fans out of the stands lol.....and to think they went to the IL championships last season.... Hope norfolk gets there! As long as its VA, I could care less. (Braves destroy the mets btw haha)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Go Mets! Atlanta sucks a big one! :sick:

I respectfully disagree! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I too disagree!! I'm a huge mets fan and there's no team worse than the Yankees. In fact, I've been scouring the internet for months looking for an al queda- George Steinbrenner connection that I'm positive must exist. How can entities so grossly evil exist without some kind of interaction?

I don't like the Braves much myself, but me and every other mets fan I know respects them even if we don't like them. The Yankees, though ... cant say I respect or like them.

Ok, lets not turn this into a p*ssing match, lol. One thing for sure, we should all be Mets fans because the are the Tides' Major League affiliate (for those who didn't already know).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So true! Besides, the Mets represent the forces of light and good in this often dark and scary world.