sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

only problem is great stars follow dollar signs$$$. If they can get paid 3,4 or more times as much in Europe,why would they play here. The level of play isn't high enough yet. If D.C. United could play Arsenal's or Bayern Munich's full starting squad, and be able to keep up, it would be different.The top soccer here is probably like the 2nd level over there. Not to mention the league is pretty small right now. In time it will improve, but we need to be able to spend more $$$, boost up the level of play, and attract more franchises.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow wow wow ... hold up

Did you even WATCH the Chelsea-DC United game last week??

Granted, Chelsea won 2-1 ... but damn, DC put up a hell of a fight and walked away with some hard earned respect. They went up against the English champions and did far better than anyone could have ever expected. Our guys aren't paid millions of bucks and don't enjoy the support other countries have, but they have passion and heart and I think eventually that will translate into more momentum for the sport. With high profile names like Freddy Adu, Demarcus Beasley, and Landon Donovan all playing with the MLS and slashing through old stereotypes in the World Cup, I think MLS has a very bright future indeed. And pardon me for wanting HR to be a part of that!

Sorry I still think it would flop here. Maybe if it was in a central location like Norfolk where everyone could get to it from anywhere in the region. Most people that I talk to want football or basketball.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LoL I commute to Norfolk every day and it kills me. If I didn't work here I doubt I'd ever go except on a special occasion. Though I can't imagine what that would be.

Don't get me wrong, I like Norfolk and the Southside, but it's some drag getting here. In fact, it's usually faster for me to get to Richmond than to work.

Wow wow wow ... hold up

Did you even WATCH the Chelsea-DC United game last week??

Granted, Chelsea won 2-1 ... but damn, DC put up a hell of a fight and walked away with some hard earned respect. They went up against the English champions and did far better than anyone could have ever expected. Our guys aren't paid millions of bucks and don't enjoy the support other countries have, but they have passion and heart and I think eventually that will translate into more momentum for the sport. With high profile names like Freddy Adu, Demarcus Beasley, and Landon Donovan all playing with the MLS and slashing through old stereotypes in the World Cup, I think MLS has a very bright future indeed. And pardon me for wanting HR to be a part of that!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's needed is for these stars to transcend pop culture and do to soccer what Jordan did to basketball. It seems that only over-the-hill foreign stars can do that like Pele did in the 70's and what Beckham might do in a couple years. We need young electrifying players to be in the spotlight, not icons in their twilight.

What's needed is for these stars to transcend pop culture and do to soccer what Jordan did to basketball.  It seems that only over-the-hill foreign stars can do that like Pele did in the 70's and what Beckham might do in a couple years.  We need young electrifying players to be in the spotlight, not icons in their twilight.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It can happen. Freddy Adu is what ... 16? And he's a solid rounder for DC United.

Donovan is still considered young and the pool of talent only keeps getting better.

I think the WNBA would have a better chance than soccer will have and the WNBA has little chance of making it.

I just don't see it taking off in the states like the other sports have done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We are always different than the rest of the world. Soccer is a sport that never took off in America and probably never will do well here. Look we even have different means of measuring so i don't see any world sport doing well here.

I'll never believe soccer will work in this area. I've grew up here and none of my friends like soccer. Most of them call it fairy ball. We like American Football, real football IMO, Basketball, and baseball. It would have to be one of those three to work point blank.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah yes, fairy ball. That's one of my favorites. There's also another term, but all I can say is that it involves the British slang for cigarettes. I'm happy that none of your friends like soccer. Please stop applying your generalities on the rest of us. I'm not saying soccer will work, I'm just trying to find a pro sport for HR. NFL is not going to come. NHL is out. And HR needs an NBA or MLB team to relocate, because the area is not an expansion hot-bed. I'm not even sure if HR gets a pro team if it will be supported. Also, people's tastes change. Sports grow and die. That's why boxing is dying while NASCAR is rising. Only baseball, and to some degree football, is a constant.

As for sports in general, how is football called football when it's mainly a game of the hands? In terms of toughness in team sports, I'd put soccer behind rugby, ice hockey, and football, but ahead of basketball and baseball. I don't get how a game like soccer is ridiculed by being called weak when it takes no toughness to play basketball or baseball.

Edited by hoobo

I still dont understand why football is automaticly out.

Someone please give me some reasons.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First and foremost reason a team would have to leave another city and thats not going to happen and another is we are behind one city thats pretty big and thats LA. Two, just to start a team is ridiculous money. Its upwards of a billion dollars. The NFL charges some crazy fee that puts it up to that billion dollar range.

personally I think getting a pro team is a waste of time and money. Take the cost of a stadium for the team, now apply that money to building or rebuilding a few quality schools near downtown, then create a plan to construct affordable housing in towers for middle class people with kids and their you go, give it time and you have a busy downtown and growing city.

no headaches, not crappy teams, no listening to the owner threatening to move if he doesnt get a new stadium every 10 years.

First and foremost reason a team would have to leave another city and thats not going to happen and another is we are behind one city thats pretty big and thats LA. Two, just to start a team is ridiculous money. Its upwards of a billion dollars. The NFL charges some crazy fee that puts it up to that billion dollar range.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Who is to say the NFL wont Expand someday?

2. (sarcastic) Was there just a team in LA a few years ago? What happend to it?

3. yeah it would take a whole crap-load of money. but whos to say whats going to happen with this area inthe near future. Thats just a few moguls/FT 500 type companies to invest some money. albeit, a lot of money, but its possible.

Edited by Greekboy80

personally I think getting a pro team is a waste of time and money.  Take the cost of a stadium for the team, now apply that money to building or rebuilding a few quality schools near downtown, then create a plan to construct affordable housing in towers for middle class people with kids and their you go, give it time and you have a busy downtown and growing city.

no headaches, not crappy teams, no listening to the owner threatening to move if he doesnt get a new stadium every 10 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well there is alot of people who disagree with that a pro team is a waste of time. It brings buisness around no matter what people say.

Dude, basketball doesn't come close. Unless you're AI going up against Amare or anyone going up against Shaq, then basketball isn't that hard of a sport. Contact in bball involves a butt stuck out, a shoulder in the chest (foul), an arm in the back (foul), moving or hard picks (foul), or a swipe or hack on the arms or hands during a shot (foul). I've had my fair share of all of them. But it doesn't compare to slide tackling, high kicks (possible foul), kicks to the thigh and shins (foul), heading a ball, or playing keeper. Man, do I hate arguing that soccer is a tough sport, because most Americans only imagine 5 year-olds running around a field.

Yeah, L.A. had a couple teams. But L.A. is not the one who wants a team (we have USC and maybe UCLA this year), it's the NFL that wants a team in L.A.

Dude, basketball doesn't come close.  Unless you're AI going up against Amare or anyone going up against Shaq, then basketball isn't that hard of a sport.  Contact in bball involves a butt stuck out, a shoulder in the chest (foul), an arm in the back (foul), moving or hard picks (foul), or a swipe or hack on the arms or hands during a shot (foul).  I've had my fair share of all of them.  But it doesn't compare to slide tackling, high kicks (possible foul), kicks to the thigh and shins (foul), heading a ball, or playing keeper.  Man, do I hate arguing that soccer is a tough sport, because most Americans only imagine 5 year-olds running around a field.

Yeah, L.A. had a couple teams.  But L.A. is not the one who wants a team (we have USC and maybe UCLA this year), it's the NFL that wants a team in L.A.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well MLB wanted a team in DC and now the team is in DC so thats what my point was.

I'm agreeing with you on that.  The NFL will put a team where it wants, and HR is not on its list.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not????

your right...not right now, but maybe in the future, right?

for gods sakes Buffalo has a freakin NFL team. they have nothing else and a population that is almost half ours.

they dont deserve a football team. why did they get one?

I tend to agree, and say that as someone who put a deposit on two season tickets with the Norfolk baseball effort.  I would like to see our area support the teams we have now better.  I would like to see Tides games routinely draw crowds of 10,000 or more, and I would like to see the Admirals average 7-8,000.  I also would like to see both attract an audience more reflective of the diverse nature of our population.

I think we have a better chance of solidifying our existing support of AAA baseball and AHL hockey and having that be better proof of this area being ready to take the step to the major leagues, regardless of the sport.  Then, in 5 years or so, after we get through this develoment cycle and maybe another, we will be better prepared to support a pro team.

Chesapeake Pirate

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who wants to go to a AAA baseball game or hockey game and watch a bunch of no-name players?

everyone knows when theres someone coming off Major League DL for the tides or their opponents, the attandence skyrockets!

Why?

Cause there is a big league player to watch.

i like going to the tides games and admirals games. but, i'd go a lot more if it was professional sports. who would'nt go to see the yankees play the Norfolk "whoevers". i'd be there just to see jeter(future hall of famer) play ball.

Attendance will never be like what a major league sports team draws. it will never happen.