sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

Why not????

your right...not right now, but maybe in the future, right?

for gods sakes Buffalo has a freakin NFL team. they have nothing else and a population that is almost half ours.

they dont deserve a football team. why did they get one?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to look at when the teams where established in those areas. NFL wasn't a money pit that it is today. You could start a team then because you didn't have stars screaming for multi-million dollar contracts and such. We are coming into pro sports really at a bad time. If we came in during the 60's or 70's I would agree with you. On top of this we don't have enough F500/F100 to financially support a NFL team. I'm not trying to say I don't want the NFL but just being realistic. I hope you understand what the point is that I'm trying to make. Who around here has almost a billion dollars to create a team and take that risk in HR? Relocation for the NFL is very rare.

Trust me I want one of the big three to present itself to this area. I've been dreaming about this since I was a kid. Thats why I will fight to try to get a team here. Don't know what kind of impact that I would have but I believe that it will help our area culturally and give us more entertainment to the area. Teams do attract businesses to smaller markets.

Even without an NBA team in line, an arena needs to get built to replace the decrepit Scope. Admirals attendance will rise, because now they can market it to everyone, not just die-hard hockey fans who don't care how digusting the arena is. The AFL will probably award a franchise (if there's an ownership group). Bigger-name arena concert tours will make stops. Finally, there's a carrot to hang in front of the NBA to compete against KC and St. Louis which have or will have arenas, and Baltimore, Louisville, and Vegas which lack an NBA-caliber arena.

Why not????

your right...not right now, but maybe in the future, right?

for gods sakes Buffalo has a freakin NFL team. they have nothing else and a population that is almost half ours.

they dont deserve a football team. why did they get one?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ask that question about Jacksonville and Nashville (and even Charlotte) before you ask about Buffalo. Buffalo, Green Bay, and KC have had teams since the dawn of time.

You have to look at when the teams where established in those areas. NFL wasn't a money pit that it is today. You could start a team then because you didn't have stars screaming for multi-million dollar contracts and such. We are coming into pro sports really at a bad time. If we came in during the 60's or 70's I would agree with you. On top of this we don't have enough F500/F100 to financially support a NFL team. I'm not trying to say I don't want the NFL but just being realistic. I hope you understand what the point is that I'm trying to make. Who around here has almost a billion dollars to create a team and take that risk in HR? Relocation for the NFL is very rare.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Rus - i know and understand completely! I guess im just upset about the whole situation. its just kind of Depressing. ya know.

Football just seems like it would be the easiest for full attendance(only 8 home games and football draws top crowds, no matter what). football would sell itself. all tha other professions have somany games, its hard to keep attendance up all the time(baseball). and truthfully, i wanted a pro baseball team, but i know we would'nt suppot great attendance during the day/week night games.

Hey Rus - i know and understand completely! I guess im just upset about the whole situation. its just kind of Depressing.  ya know.

Football just seems like it would be the easiest for full attendance(only 8 home games and football draws top crowds, no matter what). football would sell itself. all tha other professions have somany games, its hard to keep attendance up all the time(baseball). and truthfully, i wanted a pro baseball team, but i know we would'nt suppot great attendance during the day/week night games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know I have a feeling that we could have decent attendances during the day and night games during the week. I think people around this area share their frustrations with us and it makes you not want to go to some of the AAA games out of frustration. I truly believe that a team will attract or open our business market beyond are wildest dreams. I think as a region we are starving for a pro team and we have seen that with all of those deposits on season tickets for baseball. I think the Norfolk baseball company knew we weren't getting the team but wanted to show MLB that we can and will support a team for the future. I think that baseball stadiums add beauty to the urban DTs. :thumbsup:

The only thing that I worry about is the next go around will people get frustrated at our last few attempts and say screw it and not show the support that they showed this last go around. I hear people talk about why try to show support when we know that they won't let it come here. Hell, I'm starting to lean that way too out of frustration of being brought on a roller coaster ride.

Edited by rusthebuss

Ask that question about Jacksonville and Nashville (and even Charlotte) before you ask about Buffalo.  Buffalo, Green Bay, and KC have had teams since the dawn of time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

KC aint no Green Bay. Its a real city, as far as I'm concerned.

I think probably the best chance for a major league team is probably Basketball. I'm not much of a fan, but between our chances of getting a team and the feasibility of supporting a team, I think Basketball is our best shot.

On the other hand, the Orioles have had a pretty incredible season so far and yet, somehow, their numbers are being eroded by the Nationals playing in RFK stadium, which confounds me to no end. Frankly, I'd much rather go to Camden Yds to see the local girlscout troop play than set foot in RFK for baseball in Northern VA ... but that's just me. Luckily, DC will be building a brand new stadium in beautiful Anacostia ...

... yeah...

Maybe Pete Angelos, after getting indicted and acquitted for mysterious mail bombs to Bud Selig's house, will move his operation here and be welcomed like heroes! Imagine that? The Hampton Roads Orioles?

Even without an NBA team in line, an arena needs to get built to replace the decrepit Scope.  Admirals attendance will rise, because now they can market it to everyone, not just die-hard hockey fans who don't care how digusting the arena is.  The AFL will probably award a franchise (if there's an ownership group).  Bigger-name arena concert tours will make stops.  Finally, there's a carrot to hang in front of the NBA to compete against KC and St. Louis which have or will have arenas, and Baltimore, Louisville, and Vegas which lack an NBA-caliber arena.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, Scope Sucks!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with what your saying and have been saying that for a long time!

I knew he was going to have problems with this but I think everyone will go back to watching the orioles and abandon the nationals. This is one of those new things that will fizzle out. I wonder how many times they will attempt baseball in the capital before they get a clue. They are getting ready to have strike three. I just feel bad about Peter after he voiced these issues with the commish and its happening as we speak.

Even without an NBA team in line, an arena needs to get built to replace the decrepit Scope.  Admirals attendance will rise, because now they can market it to everyone, not just die-hard hockey fans who don't care how digusting the arena is.  The AFL will probably award a franchise (if there's an ownership group).  Bigger-name arena concert tours will make stops.  Finally, there's a carrot to hang in front of the NBA to compete against KC and St. Louis which have or will have arenas, and Baltimore, Louisville, and Vegas which lack an NBA-caliber arena.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The sad thing is that Norfolk already shot the arena idea down for this fiscal year. I think if they started an arena now or next year I think we could be awarded an expansion franchise and we could find a owner or ownership team to start the team.

I knew he was going to have problems with this but I think everyone will go back to watching the orioles and abandon the nationals. This is one of those new things that will fizzle out. I wonder how many times they will attempt baseball in the capital before they get a clue. They are getting ready to have strike three. I just feel bad about Peter after he voiced these issues with the commish and its happening as we speak.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope you're right. It's a damn crime how Bud Selig and the others went out on a limb to screw over Angelos and the Orioles. Maybe when the Nationals flop we'll be ready to make that project work.

I wonder what those Norfolk Baseball Company people are up to nowadays?

I hope you're right. It's a damn crime how Bud Selig and the others went out on a limb to screw over Angelos and the Orioles. Maybe when the Nationals flop we'll be ready to make that project work.

I wonder what those Norfolk Baseball Company people are up to nowadays?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I asked that about a few days ago. I don't know and wish that I could email them to find out and show them this site and how we do appreciate the risk and that we support their efforts.

I think if the focus is at better paying jobs and supporting its local smaller companies (like Trader) and help them become Fortune 500 teams then the rest will take care of itself.

If someone wants to move a team of anything to Norfolk then let them, but don't sacrifice a strong city to get one. The city needs to continue focusing on what's important.

As much as I actually like the architecture that went into the Scope (minus how it has aged). I do agree the city needs something bigger, not for a team, but for concerts and such. That tends to generate more money and goes on year round.

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this or not, but I just wanted to share that I had the opportunity to play the new Lambert's Point golf course behind ODU on Friday evening and it is absolutely incredible! The views from this course are unbelievable!! There are not many golf courses in the world on an active river like the Elizabeth, and it provides some incredible vistas and very interesting scenery. The golf course is exceptionally well designed and is one of the most interesting courses I have ever played. Two bad they only had room for nine holes. This course is a great addition to the many things which make Norfolk a good place to live.

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this or not, but I just wanted to share that I had the opportunity to play the new Lambert's Point golf course behind ODU on Friday evening and it is absolutely incredible!  The views from this course are unbelievable!!  There are not many golf courses in the world on an active river like the Elizabeth, and it provides some incredible vistas and very interesting scenery.  The golf course is exceptionally well designed and is one of the most interesting courses I have ever played.  Two bad they only had room for nine holes.  This course is a great addition to the many things which make Norfolk a good place to live.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the right thread pirate and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the course. Did you see how far along they were on the football field thats for Maury and Granby H.S.? I took a pic of it and you could see part of the golf course and it looked spectacular. :thumbsup:

This is the right thread pirate and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the course. Did you see how far along they were on the football field thats for Maury and Granby H.S.? I took a pic of it  and you could see part of the golf course and it looked spectacular. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Based on what I saw of the football stadium, which is right next to the golf course, it would surprise me if any football is played there this season. Maybe late in the season, but it is no where near ready.

Looks like it will be very nice when it is done.

Chesapeake Pirate