sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

Based on what I saw of the football stadium, which is right next to the golf course, it would surprise me if any football is played there this season.  Maybe late in the season, but it is no where near ready.

Looks like it will be very nice when it is done.

Chesapeake Pirate

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read in the paper that they might miss a few games due to weather delays on the construction but was hoping that they wouldn't. The planned at Norview is going to be huge. Can't wait to see that one too.

Norfolk bids for the CAA Men's tournament for 2008

What I don't understand is why don't they use the Ted instead of Scope. If they planned on building a new arena it would have given a edge in the bid. :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't ted considerable smaller? Like only 8,000 seats? Scope is something like 12,000? Even if ted is nicer, they still would need more seats, right?

Isn't ted considerable smaller? Like only 8,000 seats? Scope is something like 12,000? Even if ted is nicer, they still would need more seats, right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah but I don't know if Norfolk will get it against B-more. If they would just build a new arena we would be set and then we could pitch it to the NBA. :whistling:

Yeah but I don't know if Norfolk will get it against B-more. If they would just build a new arena we would be set and then we could pitch it to the NBA. :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1st Marnier isn't much nicer. It's just as old and as small as Scope. It's last renovation was 20 years ago. I'd figure a Virginia site would have the edge since 5 of the current 12 schools are in the state and the CAA is headquartered in Richmond. The league now stretches from Boston to Atlanta. Given Norfolk's revitalization, its downtown should compete with Baltimore's in terms of outside-arena activities. It really comes down to who gives the larger incentive package. It would help Norfolk if a start date on the Hilton is announced.

1st Marnier isn't much nicer.  It's just as old and as small as Scope.  It's last renovation was 20 years ago.  I'd figure a Virginia site would have the edge since 5 of the current 12 schools are in the state and the CAA is headquartered in Richmond.  The league now stretches from Boston to Atlanta.  Given Norfolk's revitalization, its downtown should compete with Baltimore's in terms of outside-arena activities.  It really comes down to who gives the larger incentive package.  It would help Norfolk if a start date on the Hilton is announced.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is true. It also should be completed by then to.

LA Times article on Staples Center and the short life of arenas:

Arena Attempts to Stay Current

AEG spends $10 million to refurbish Staples Center as plans to revitalize the area around it continue.

By Greg Johnson, Times Staff Writer

The ever-increasing demand for luxury has helped shorten the life span of numerous arenas and stadiums built in the last three decades

Edited by hoobo

But you have to have something for that high fruit to fall in!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I'm saying. Build a modest arena that can either serve as an interim facility or be upgraded to pro-standards. An area like HR can't afford wait for a team to move before building something. MLB at least has Harbor Park. What does the NBA have? Scope? The Ted?

That's what I'm saying.  Build a modest arena that can either serve as an interim facility or be upgraded to pro-standards.  An area like HR can't afford wait for a team to move before building something.  MLB at least has Harbor Park.  What does the NBA have?  Scope?  The Ted?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I wished they would build something but they shot it down for this fiscal year. I agree if they don't do something it will never happen.

Yeah, I'm glad they clinched the division, disappointed however because it was clinched with a loss.  If they want to make it to the second round of the playoffs, they had better start playing better.  Some guys are coming down from the Mets as well as coming up from AA Binghamton over the next few days to beef up the Tides roster.  I just hope the Mets don't take the core of the Tides team when the expanded rosters happen on Sept. 1.  The Tides need the heart of the team that has been playing a majority of the season when the IL playoffs begin in two weeks.  Good luck Tides!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I LOVE THE TIDES AND WISH I COULD MAKE MORE OF THE GAMES. GO TIDES! I will make some more of the games this year though! :thumbsup:

I LOVE THE TIDES AND WISH I COULD MAKE MORE OF THE GAMES.  GO TIDES! I will make some more of the games this year though! :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm with you Russ. I like the Tides as well. Yeah, they are not major league, but its still good baseball. I hope you make it out to the stadium soon. As of today, there are only 7 home games left in the regular season. And since the Tides are going to the post-season, there are at least 2 guaranteed playoff games on Sept 7 and 8 at Harbor Park.

I'm with you Russ.  I like the Tides as well.  Yeah, they are not major league, but its still good baseball.  I hope you make it out to the stadium soon.  As of today, there are only 7 home games left in the regular season.  And since the Tides are going to the post-season, there are at least 2 guaranteed playoff games on Sept 7 and 8 at Harbor Park.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will try to at least make the last game like I always do. It has become my family tradition now. Kids love the fireworks at the end of the game!

QUOTE(jeafl @ Aug 24 2005, 08:45 PM)

According to information the Jaguars provided Channel 47 in reply to an email I sent, the Jaguars have completed 10 seasons.  Of these seasons only 5 resulted in more wins than losses and the team has been in the playoffs in only 4 of these seasons.  And during these seasons the team has had over 20% of its games blacked out on local TV because the People of Jacksonville don

Yeah I believe it! We get no national respect thats why no coverage on the oceana issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You want no respect?! Well, in March 03 when I was checking out UF grad with a couple friends I picked up a copy of Jax's paper. I've been able to track down the article. Here's the quote:

"Jacksonville's hospitality leaders say not having a better convention center means losing business to places like Mobile, Ala., and Norfolk, Va.

They don't like that reality. But the Osborn's 78,500 square feet of indoor exhibit space makes it almost the 200th largest in the nation, and many shows need more than that. Plus, not having a hotel attached to the center is a huge deterrent.

"Even smaller cities like Norfolk -- their convention center is not much bigger than ours, but they have a hotel attached," Ratcliffe said. "It's painful to lose a piece of business to a city like Norfolk."

Entire Article

It now appears that the expanded Jax center is larger than Pav Redux. Just because Jax is 10 times the land area of Norfolk doesn't mean it has to be a punk.

As for Charlotte being the #2 prime candidate for an MLB team, don't they already have 2 pro sports teams and a AAA club to serve 1.6 million people? I'd like to see Charlotte support 3 pro sports teams.

"It's painful to lose a piece of business to a city like Norfolk.

"We should be swatting them down like flies, but we aren't."

This is a curious little rivalry :blink: . I honestly never even knew it existed until the whole BRAC fiasco. I've always liked JAX though, they have some very nice towers. B)

Nah, no rivalry, though there may be some since we originally lost Cecil to Oceana.

I doubt Charlotte will be able to support a 3rd pro team. Las Vegas needs one and can easily support far more so than Charlotte can.

HR has the population but it did the exact opposite of Jacksonville. Instead of consolidating, it remained in 7 large pieces. These 7 local governments fight each other for everything. With that kind of hurdle to jump over, sports associations would prefer not to have to deal with all that.

That goes for many things that all lead to HR not getting the same recognition as MSA's of similar size.