sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

Why not????

your right...not right now, but maybe in the future, right?

for gods sakes Buffalo has a freakin NFL team. they have nothing else and a population that is almost half ours.

they dont deserve a football team. why did they get one?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Buffalo Bills and also the Buffalo Sabers draw from its Bi National metro population of about 1.6M people. On top of that these teams can also draw on a total of about 9M people within a 1 1/2 hour drive of Rich stadium. That includes nearby major cities such as Toronto, Hamilton and Rochester. Buffalo also draws fans from as far as Syracuse.

Buffalo's market size is skewed by the statistics because the Canadian fans are not included. But if you ask either of these Buffalo big league teams you would find that they very much appreciuate their Canadian fans. I do not think Norfolk has anyplace near this size fan base to draw from. So yes they do deserve a team if there is such a right.

Edited by leets

The Buffalo Bills and also the Buffalo Sabers draw from its Bi National metro population of about 1.6M people.  On top of that these teams can also draw on a total of about 9M people within a 1 1/2 hour drive of Rich stadium.  That includes nearby major cities such as Toronto, Hamilton and Rochester.  Buffalo also draws fans from as far as Syracuse.

Buffalo's market size is skewed by the statistics because the Canadian fans are not included.  But if you ask either of these Buffalo big league teams you would find that they very much appreciuate their Canadian fans.  I do not think Norfolk has anyplace near this size fan base to draw from.  So yes they do deserve a team if there is such a right.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What are you talking about? Norfolk is only 1.5 hours from another 1.2 million people.....Richmond.

What are you talking about? Norfolk is only 1.5 hours from another 1.2 million people.....Richmond.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was responding to a post that asked why Buffalo should have a team and I noted that within an easy 1.5 hour drive the Bills can draw from a population of between 9 and 10M people and that its own immediate metro is approx 1.6M. That ain't chump change.

I was responding to a post that asked why Buffalo should have a team and I noted that within an easy 1.5 hour drive the Bills can draw from a population of between 9 and 10M people and that its own immediate metro is approx 1.6M.  That ain't chump change.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Neither are we! Honestly how many people do you really think drive from toronto?

Neither are we! Honestly how many people do you really think drive from toronto?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It could be from 5 to 20%. That is as many as 16,000 people. It could be more. But they don't just come from Toronto they come from Hamilton Ontario and St. Catherines and Rochester which are all 1hr or less away. The Bills preseason camp is in Rochester. And the fans don't just come to the stadium. They whatch on TV which is more important to the networks. The networks don't want Buffalo to loose its team because the draw is on 9 to 10 Mill not just Buffalo.

What is Norfolk's 1.5 hour fan base?

Edited by leets

It could be from 5 to 20%.  That is as many as 16,000 people.  It could be more.  But they don't just come from Toronto they come from Hamilton Ontario and St. Catherines and Rochester which are all 1hr or less away.  The Bills preseason camp is in Rochester.  And the fans don't just come to the stadium.  They whatch on TV which is more important to the networks.  The networks don't want Buffalo to loose its team because the draw is on 9 to 10 Mill  not just Buffalo. 

What is Norfolk's 1.5 hour fan base?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Norfolks 1.5 hour fan base is over the 3 million threshold. Taking into account Richmond, Petersburg, Hampton Roads, Elizabeth City N.C. All are easily withing a 1.5 hour drive. Buffalo, pop. 282,000, closest city of rochester 70 miles, about the same time drive from richmond to hampton roads. Buffalo has a metro area of 1.2 million people, Rochester has a metro pop. of 1.1 million. Add the two and it is shy of 2.5 million. Not to mention that buffalo has experience population declines for decade or more. Toronto, city pop. 2.4 million, metro 5.1 million. 7.5 million total. Considering it is a 90 plus mile drive, there population only counts when it comes to football. Any other sport would just take too much time to get there, not to mention they already have every sport in toronto, except nfl.

Norfolks 1.5 hour fan base is over the 3 million threshold.  Taking into account Richmond, Petersburg, Hampton Roads, Elizabeth City N.C.  All are easily withing a 1.5 hour drive.  Buffalo, pop. 282,000, closest city of rochester 70 miles, about the same time drive from richmond to hampton roads.  Buffalo has a metro area of 1.2 million people, Rochester has a metro pop. of 1.1 million.  Add the two and it is shy of 2.5 million.  Not to mention that buffalo has experience population declines for decade or more.  Toronto, city pop. 2.4 million, metro 5.1 million.  7.5 million total.  Considering it is a 90 plus mile drive, there population only counts when it comes to football.  Any other sport would just take too much time to get there, not to mention they already have every sport in toronto, except nfl.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are have not counted the Canadian Population which is directly on Buffalo's boarder which numbers 600,000. (many of these people live closer to downtown Buffalo than people in Buffalo's American suburbs That brings Buffalo's metro up to 1.8M and the Canadian population is growing. That is 1.8 M people within a 40 minute drive to Rich satdium all within the same TV market now add in Hamilton Ontario 1 hr drive (700,000 people) and Rochester NY 1 hr drive (1.1M people) and you have 3.6 M people. That is without counting Toronto or the other 300,000 people in the southern counties of Western NY which are also within a 1.5 hour drive of the stadium.

I am not sure what you are trying to prove but Buffalo is a large market and that is why it has two big league sports teams and one of the most successful minor league baseball teams.

Edited by leets

He is stating that we are not some small market either is all. That comment was made a while back ago. People are just tired of not being able to bring pro sports to the area. Also Buffalo is a dieing town. There is alot of Buffalo transplants here that didn't come from the military. They said cost of living is too high and not enough work to live there. Steel mills killed them but I believe that they will bounce back soon.

You are have not counted the Canadian Population which is directly on Buffalo's boarder which numbers 600,000. (many of these people live closer to downtown Buffalo than people in Buffalo's American suburbs  That brings Buffalo's metro up to 1.8M and the Canadian population is growing.  That is 1.8 M people within a 40 minute drive to Rich satdium all within the same TV market  now add in Hamilton Ontario 1 hr drive (700,000 people) and Rochester NY 1 hr drive (1.1M people) and you have 3.6 M people.  That is without counting Toronto or the other 300,000 people in the southern counties of Western NY which are also within a 1.5 hour drive of the stadium.

I am not sure what you are trying to prove but Buffalo is a large market and that is why it has two big league sports teams and one of the most successful minor league baseball teams.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What i'm trying to say is that the market there is not much more than here. Hamilton, is 60 miles from buffalo. Rochester the same. Not counting toronto, this area compares quite sizeably with Buffalo and has just as much potential to have a pro team considering we have none. I wouldn't count toronto in much of population because they pretty much have everything in there own back yard, not to mention the famous canadian football league. They love there own teams and don't spend 1.5 hours to go to buffalo unless its a nfl game. That's all.

I only responded because Greekboy said Buffalo did not deserve an NFL team. I can not comment on Norflok's ability to support a team but if you look at Buffalo and its nearby easily drivable population it is extremely large. The NFL does not ignore the fact that Toronto will be more interested in the NFL with a team in Buffalo. The Bills are as close as can possibly be to Canada's largest city without puting a team IN Canada. Also Buffalo's 1.8 Mill metro is very compact compared to Norfolk. These thing contribute to a full stadium and big TV revenues for the NFL.

What are you talking about dude? :blink:  :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bills drafted Rob Johnson, a laid-back SoCal surfer. And we all know how that turned out. JP Losman is another laid-back SoCal surfer. He went to Tulane because UCLA was too up-tight for him. I'm just trying to start more stuff.

Not to sound like a pillager, but it looks like Nawlins may end up losing one if not both of its teams. It was already an economically depressed town where the city and state had to subsidize the teams' everyday expenses not to mention give them rent-free leases. After Katrina, those payments as well as part of the fan base may disappear. The Saints are likely to go to L.A. or San Antone. Anyone want the lowly Hornets?