sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

gotcha, I didnt think there was a venue in VAbeach for an arena football team to play in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bruce Smith was part owner of the nighthawks and had disagreements with the other owner and shut the team down. Haven't heard if he will start it back up or not.

Bruce Smith was part owner of the nighthawks and had disagreements with the other owner and shut the team down. Haven't heard if he will start it back up or not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I thought I remembered hearing about some controversy over there but wasn't sure if the team survived it or not. Thanks for the info.

This is actually great news judging by this quote.

The council also plans to use some of the revenues to build a conference center that would be tied to a Hilton Hotel that Washington billionaire Robert L. Johnson has proposed building.

The conference center would have a 25,000-square foot ballroom

And this quote

"The City Council spent more than an hour discussing an arena, a proposed conference center and a concert hall. The conference center, which could cost up to $25 million, was the only facility to garner a commitment from the council."

Thank goodness that they are not building some $350+ million stadium (we all know that the price would rise in the end). They were idiots not to build a huge stadium with ODU and then figure out a way to have something going on there every night.

It would be a real treat to spend all that money and not even get a team. Which would probably happen knowing Norfolk's luck.

Thank goodness that they are not building some $350+ million stadium (we all know that the price would rise in the end).  They were idiots not to build a huge stadium with ODU and then figure out a way to have something going on there every night.

It would be a real treat to spend all that money and not even get a team.  Which would probably happen knowing Norfolk's luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could you imagine ODU playing in an another downtown arena maybe a third full every night??? ODU did what was best for herself, build a 8,000 seat on campus arena which has spearhead development across Hampton Blvd. With the new Sprint Center and Charlotte Arena costing around 250 million, an estimate of 230 million by the city is very reasonable. Norfolk was real unlucky with the Hornets, since the state decided give the team 10 million dollars a year in order to move.

Edited by VAGATOR

This sucks, they need to build it and they will come. We will never see a major league franchise at this rate!!!!!!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, "they" also need to pay for it, and apparently they don't think they have the money to build it without a team coming too.

Norfolk has been out there trying to get both hockey and baseball, so I can't complain about this move. I think if there were any kind of real opportunity to get a team Norfolk would jump on it.

Well, "they" also need to pay for it, and apparently they don't think they have the money to build it without a team coming too.

Norfolk has been out there trying to get both hockey and baseball, so I can't complain about this move.  I think if there were any kind of real opportunity to get a team Norfolk would jump on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Norfolk will only strongly pursue this if there is enough support from the league and development community. It's almost like the MacArthur Center project. It took a decade to just break ground on the idea and they only went with it because Taubman and Nordstrom expressed interest and support. The city did its part by making Scope, Chrysler Hall, and the Waterside Convention Center as collateral because they couldn't afford more than the nearly $100 million that they already spent on the mall. The city even if it doesn't have the money, I'm sure will do its part in taking any slack in costs that it can't cover at moment anyway they can. They never try to let huge opportunities pass by them. If they did, MacArthur Center, Waterside, Nauticus, and Trader wouldn't be here today.

If they had decided to go with this, they wouldnt' have had enough money to cover both the conference center and the courts complex. I think they made the right decision for now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Besides, there isn't really any major news for any teams to relocate so its not like there is an opportunity right now. I think the planned improvements is just right and I hope they don't go beyond what they already plan to improve at Scope. I don't want to have too much spent on it when it will eventually be torn down since they already have plans for the new arena in the future. The current plans of improvement I'm sure will give Scope a lift for the next decade. By then, it may be the right time to build an arena or they could be some relocations in the NBA.

• 2 weeks later...