sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

• 3 weeks later...

Nats vs. O's Sold Out!! :shades:From what I'm told it sold out in about 30 minutes! :thumbsup:

Got my ticket.

Because of what George Mason did last year, I don't think they will have to win the CAA tourney to get a bid. But they need to atleast win one or two games in the CAA tourney to get considered.

That will help. And yes, they will get a bid. I think they need 1 win, though.

• 2 weeks later...

As disappointing as this is, it's far more important to get these other projects underway, Particularly light rail. Sports can wait, we need to focus on having an effective transit system, good public libraries (including one to replace the Kirn), and a vibrant downtown first. These things are necessities, the arena is a luxury. We'll get one someday, it's just gonna take time.

As disappointing as this is, it's far more important to get these other projects underway, Particularly light rail. Sports can wait, we need to focus on having an effective transit system, good public libraries (including one to replace the Kirn), and a vibrant downtown first. These things are necessities, the arena is a luxury. We'll get one someday, it's just gonna take time.

I agree with that Vdogg.

I agree, except for the $50 million for a convention center that's going to serve no purpose. Just don't see it being successful given the competition. Ah well, time to officially retire my Hampton Roads Rhinos jerseys :cry:

The city of Norfolk has just spent over 100 million dollars this year alone on a convention center, that nobody yet has explained a need for, a parking garage, and numerous tax give away subsidies, yet there is no money for arena? A complete and useless dump like the Scope being this region's largest arena is an embarrassment. Greenville, South Carolina has a new place for God sakes.

The city of Norfolk has just spent over 100 million dollars this year alone on a convention center, that nobody yet has explained a need for, a parking garage, and numerous tax give away subsidies, yet there is no money for arena? A complete and useless dump like the Scope being this region's largest arena is an embarrassment. Greenville, South Carolina has a new place for God sakes.

Scope isn't all that bad. The city has cleaned the place up quite a bit with new seats, lighting, and a new sound system. I used to dislike it but it has character and its a loud building for hockey. Hampton Coliseum is a larger arena but really defines to word dump.

I agree wholeheartedly with Norfolk officials this time. The city has too many pressing needs to spend millions on a new arena. I am still smarting over the 611 million dollars and growing DC is spending for a new stadium for the Nationals. We have many pressing needs, substandard schools, deplorable libraries, deteriating roads etc. etc. etc.

That is my question VAGATOR, where is the need?

What would this convention center do for Norfolk? The Scope will not suffice for such events required of a convention center? The scope is a dump, but if we are rolling the dice with a convention center verus saving for arena, I would like to know what we can do with the dump in the mean time. Does anyone have the specs on this convention center?

If they build a convention center that will hold and do what the scope will do, why spend money for a new one. Most people say the scope is too small for large events, and your right, but why question is, will the convention center allow for bigger events. Maybe this "convention center" is geared towards a certain types of events (more classy maybe). I'm not sure about this power move, maybe I just need someone to explain the "need" (especially if what the pilot is reporting is true,,,,,10 years??). Its funny, this only display's the knowledge on the subject, but I thought we were a city/region that could go either way with a national sport, hell hockey if anything. This has help me realized that we are not there yet, we are not ready to have major sports in Norfolk. And of course, its not "Norfolk's fault" alone, its the region, but damn, someone shatter my hopes.

And who's to say they can't reconfigure the St. Pauls quandrant plan to set aside land for an areana? :whistling:

That is an excellent idea. The question then would be what to do with that land while we are waiting for what may come in 5 or 10 or 15 years. Would we also keep Scope?

While it would be great to have an 18-20,000 seat arena downtown which would complement the overall growth of the city, it just seems impossible to prioritize that above the other pressing needs which exist today. We have the Admirals quartered nicely in Scope right now, and need to take care of the other things like light rail and the library and the new courts building first.

The Scope will not suffice for such events required of a convention center?

Frankly, no. No one today in the event planning business is willing to seriously consider a moderate sized event unless it is connected to the headquarters hotel. Why? Because there is too much competition out there that is.

I helped plan an industry event that we held the first year in Denver, second year in St. Louis. About 700 attendees. Many of the potential customers are here in HR. When I suggested the new HRCC for 2007, it was blown out of the sky when they found out that the new Embassy Suites only has 200 rooms, and no other hotels are in walking distance. No one will seriously consider a convention at the Scope, with the Radisson as the HQ hotel when there are literally tens of other choices.

We have plenty of hotels with meeting spaces, but none big enough to host exhibit space, break out rooms, plenary sessions, and house all of the attendees in close proximity. As much as I don't like the deal with Johnson, the need does exist.

Frankly, no. No one today in the event planning business is willing to seriously consider a moderate sized event unless it is connected to the headquarters hotel. Why? Because there is too much competition out there that is.

I helped plan an industry event that we held the first year in Denver, second year in St. Louis. About 700 attendees. Many of the potential customers are here in HR. When I suggested the new HRCC for 2007, it was blown out of the sky when they found out that the new Embassy Suites only has 200 rooms, and no other hotels are in walking distance. No one will seriously consider a convention at the Scope, with the Radisson as the HQ hotel when there are literally tens of other choices.

We have plenty of hotels with meeting spaces, but none big enough to host exhibit space, break out rooms, plenary sessions, and house all of the attendees in close proximity. As much as I don't like the deal with Johnson, the need does exist.

Well stated. Convention business is BIG business. And extremely competitive. But the payoffs are HUGE - in terms of city/regional exposure, consumer spending, future conferences, and potential business relocations. Word of mouth from planners to other planners helps multiply the benefits. This, in my opinion, is a vital investment that no city can afford to ignore. The money could easily get recouped in a few short years. After that, it's all cream cheese.

Edited by Sky06

Giving up dreams for Big time sports

In tones of wistful disappointment, Norfolk announced last weekend the end of its decade-long pursuit of a major league sports franchise. The news brought immediate relief in some quarters, as if to say, "We're glad they got that out of their system."

With a cruise terminal to finish, a conference center to start, a battleship to buy, a courthouse and main library to design and a light-rail system to snake along Brambleton and up Monticello past MacArthur Center (not to mention about two dozen schoolhouses to overhaul), Norfolk City Council has more than enough plates to twirl for years to come.