sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

a great way for a batter to take out a drunk. I wouldnt call it cheesy, it is quite a common thing for most stadiums...now I would call Giants Stadium in San Francisco a cheesy stadium big time...but that is a different story.

I really miss my Tides, we have a AAA team here in Portland, but the feel of the team and energy is nothing like the Tides.

The old Tides, not the new Tides. New Tides are lacking since we signed with Baltimore <_<

I wonder why it was designed to have just one level. It seems it would have been wise to have two or three. Just one step up for each level and so many more could be out there and actually be enjoying themselves and see the game too.

The purpose of this deck is to party, not to see the game. But the real reason the deck is all one level is that steps create ADA problems.

The purpose of this deck is to party, not to see the game. But the real reason the deck is all one level is that steps create ADA problems.

I understand the purpose you state, but since this thing is right on the edge of the field, chances are some folks are going to want to party and watch the game too to some degree. As presently designed, that flexibility will only be avaialble to those very close to the rail by the outfield.

What I would suggest would require starting out a few feet higher in the back and then just drop down one or maybe two additional levels with perhaps two rows of "high tables" on each level. Just as is done in the main ballpark, ADA compliance can occur on the upper level.

• 7 months later...

regardless if a team goes to VB or Norfolk, I can see the region attracting a team eventually. It is the only metro in Virginia that could really sustain a pro team...the only way Richmond could of is if it would of happened 60 years ago when most pro teams were still really small.

I agree. Somebody is just going to have to take the economic gamble and build the stadium. Nobody is going to want to relocate unless they already have a nice place to go. What team wouldn't like to relocate to hampton roads? It's so much to do and so many people in the region. I don't know who or when, but I think a team will eventually come. Either Norfolk or Virginia Beach. Norfolk has more balls IMO. I still think the best location is Cedar Grove Transfer Station. A pro team needs thousands of hotel rooms, restaurants, and stuff to do around it. Downtown is the best location. It would bring more businesses, increase population, taxes, etc. Not to mention we would probably get like 3 new hotels, some new food choices, etc. BUILD IT!

I agree. Somebody is just going to have to take the economic gamble and build the stadium. Nobody is going to want to relocate unless they already have a nice place to go. What team wouldn't like to relocate to hampton roads? It's so much to do and so many people in the region. I don't know who or when, but I think a team will eventually come. Either Norfolk or Virginia Beach. Norfolk has more balls IMO. I still think the best location is Cedar Grove Transfer Station. A pro team needs thousands of hotel rooms, restaurants, and stuff to do around it. Downtown is the best location. It would bring more businesses, increase population, taxes, etc. Not to mention we would probably get like 3 new hotels, some new food choices, etc. BUILD IT!

The best idea for a brand new stadium would be Newtown Rd. where Va Beach meets Norfolk and teh lightrail lines would connect. That way a joint venture between the two cities could take place and split revenues. It would be good for both cities and less risk because of the reduced cost.

Our best bet right now would be an NBA team coming to scope. Norfolk needs to pay for a complete rennovation. It used to host a semi pro team and countless Pernell Whitaker boxing matches. Its outer shell is beautiful but the inside is broken. Basketball is our best bet at this point, and a stadium with the proper capacity is already in place for a smaller market team or an expansion. If we bring an NBA team here, I guarantee we'll see the rebirth of Granby Tower as it'll be the choice of residents for the sudden influx of millionaires. (unless they choose a mansion in Church Point or Broad Bay).

Edited by mistermetaj

The best idea for a brand new stadium would be Newtown Rd. where Va Beach meets Norfolk and teh lightrail lines would connect. That way a joint venture between the two cities could take place and split revenues. It would be good for both cities and less risk because of the reduced cost.

Our best bet right now would be an NBA team coming to scope. Norfolk needs to pay for a complete rennovation. It used to host a semi pro team and countless Pernell Whitaker boxing matches. Its outer shell is beautiful but the inside is broken. Basketball is our best bet at this point, and a stadium with the proper capacity is already in place for a smaller market team or an expansion. If we bring an NBA team here, I guarantee we'll see the rebirth of Granby Tower as it'll be the choice of residents for the sudden influx of millionaires. (unless they choose a mansion in Church Point or Broad Bay).

I see a lot of people saying the inside is a dump and I want to ask when the last time you went inside was? It needs a bit more work but the city has been renovating over the past couple of years including bathrooms, lighting, new sound system and echo prevention panels, 3 amazing video boards, new lower bowl seats, and supposedly new upper level seats for this year.

Scope Arena isn't a dump, but I don't think a NBA team would ever accept it. It's great for AHL and High school basketball and graduations, but the concourse isn't big enough, it would never be able to hold 20,000 comfortably and if we put in a bid when a team is trying to relocate they would laugh at us when another city offers them a brand spankin new arena. If we ever are gonna be a major league city we can't just try and renovate the old and give a team a hand-me- down. Scope is great, has it's history of holding NCAA final four's and ABA all star games etc., but we need to build a brand new 20,000 seat arena as soon as we get the budget straight.

I don't ever expect a pro team to play in Scope full time but I think it currently serves its purpose well. I think it would be a big waste to build an arena without a pro team in place. They are very expensive to build and could end up being outdated by the time a pro team comes to the area.

Scope Arena isn't a dump, but I don't think a NBA team would ever accept it. It's great for AHL and High school basketball and graduations, but the concourse isn't big enough, it would never be able to hold 20,000 comfortably and if we put in a bid when a team is trying to relocate they would laugh at us when another city offers them a brand spankin new arena. If we ever are gonna be a major league city we can't just try and renovate the old and give a team a hand-me- down. Scope is great, has it's history of holding NCAA final four's and ABA all star games etc., but we need to build a brand new 20,000 seat arena as soon as we get the budget straight.

It would be hard to increase the seating with the Scope, and I do not know what the structural components under it are like or how the water table has been handled, but I can say this, Pier Nervi was an amazing concrete architect and has done some amazing stadiums, which Norfolk is lucky enough to be one of a few buildings he constructed in the US...which that reason alone is worth preserving the Scope.

The way the Scope is designed, the dome and the seating are two separate structures, so it is possible to remove the seating and concourse to the building and dig deeper to increase the depth of the bowl...though that would be costly and create some steep seating...but it is possible to do with his work.

If Norfolk received a pro team, it would make sense to construct a new stadium across St Paul in the SPQ redevelopment...though I have to agree, without a team, it would be a huge waste of money for the city to construct a 350-400 million dollar stadium that could potentially sit empty. I think that kind of money would be better spent on things that could have a more direct effect on the city.

It would be hard to increase the seating with the Scope, and I do not know what the structural components under it are like or how the water table has been handled, but I can say this, Pier Nervi was an amazing concrete architect and has done some amazing stadiums, which Norfolk is lucky enough to be one of a few buildings he constructed in the US...which that reason alone is worth preserving the Scope.

The way the Scope is designed, the dome and the seating are two separate structures, so it is possible to remove the seating and concourse to the building and dig deeper to increase the depth of the bowl...though that would be costly and create some steep seating...but it is possible to do with his work.

If Norfolk received a pro team, it would make sense to construct a new stadium across St Paul in the SPQ redevelopment...though I have to agree, without a team, it would be a huge waste of money for the city to construct a 350-400 million dollar stadium that could potentially sit empty. I think that kind of money would be better spent on things that could have a more direct effect on the city.

For what it's worth the Greensboro Coliseum was originally built at about 9,000 seat capacity. They did a massive renovation back in the early 90s (I think) to bring it to over 23,000. Of course its about the underlying structure of the facility. But considering the original Greensboro facility was built in the 1950s, I doubt they had the foresight to think it would become as large as it is today. Point being, it's possible.

Oh wah.. thats outdated.. we were never going to get the expos when there was Washington. Plus im starting to think the citys jsut not ready yet.

We are crying here in DC with the 700 Million they wasted on an underperforming team with underperforming attendance. I was really pulling for Norfolk to get the Expos.

We are crying here in DC with the 700 Million they wasted on an underperforming team with underperforming attendance. I was really pulling for Norfolk to get the Expos.

I know.. Your stadium does like beautiful on tv, you can see all the empty seats it looks really nice! <_<

I guarantee you Norfolk could fill a stadium better than D.C.

I know.. Your stadium does like beautiful on tv, you can see all the empty seats it looks really nice! <_<

I guarantee you Norfolk could fill a stadium better than D.C.

Don't be so sure of that. With the higher population and higher earnings in DC , they still can't fill a stadium to see a horrible team play. I don't see what Norfolk would make Norfolk different. In a 162 game season with a team that is pretty much out of the playoffs from game 1, I doublt any metro area fans would be supporting them at this point.

Now the Florida Marlins, that's another story of a good team that gets little fan support. Norfolk could probably do very well with that team.

Great find, which it would of basically been a major renovation to Harbor Park, which is one of my most favorite minor league ballparks. I do miss watching the Tides play there.

Though I have to say, when the Expos were looking to move, the possible locations would of been Portland first, then DC, then Norfolk. Portland was a great market for the team and DC should not of gotten the team with the Orioles in their backyard, but thanks to some nice back room dealings, DC was able to score the team and build an overpriced stadium, as well as screw over Portland on getting a pro baseball team any time soon...and to top it off, they screwed over Norfolk even more because that is just another pro sport that you will never see in Norfolk...at this point, the only pro teams that anyone could ever expect to see in Norfolk or Hampton Roads in general will be NBA, NHL, or MLS...that is about it.

Actually just thinking about this, VB had that idea of building a stadium of some kind in Pembroke, which I think was meant to be suggesting a NBA team, but an MLS stadium would fit into VB quite nicely, which would be even cooler if Norfolk scored an NBA team and built them a new home just east of the Scope.

Don't be so sure of that. With the higher population and higher earnings in DC , they still can't fill a stadium to see a horrible team play. I don't see what Norfolk would make Norfolk different. In a 162 game season with a team that is pretty much out of the playoffs from game 1, I doublt any metro area fans would be supporting them at this point.

Now the Florida Marlins, that's another story of a good team that gets little fan support. Norfolk could probably do very well with that team.

But the Tides almost average as much as the Nationals.. D.C. already follows football and basketball.. If we had a MLB team it would be the only thing to watch and just the vibe of pro sports in hampton roads would boost attendence.. Plus followers from Richmond, Western virginia, etc.. I truly think Norfolk or VB would get a sports team within the next 10- 15 years