sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

I love how much sugarcoating they are giving the ODU football team. Yes, its great for them to have a team, a new beautiful stadium. Yes, its great for Norfolk in general. However, they just basically played a scrimmage against a team coming from a school with an entire student body of 900! My HS (Princess Anne) had double that. How can you even field a team? Secondly, game 2 is against a team with a student body of 1600 (again, fewer than my HS). ODU has 24THOUSAND UNDERGRADS! They should have beat Chowan by at least 5 touchdowns.

Anyhow, its going to be a rude awakening when they play 3rd game, against an actual FCS opponent...and even worse, when they start playing real CAA teams next season...ie, the ones that just beat DI UVA and Duke.

Again, not to be a hater, but happy for Norfolk, ODU...just need to downplay how great of a team they are already.

Everybody and their grandma realizes that this is the first game and there are many tougher ones to come. That being said, how it is some how bad for the community to unite around and be proud of a sports team (isn't that what they're for?) is beyond me. Sure, the news could say everything you just said but I'm not exactly sure what the point would be. That'd be akin to the couch telling his players they're all crap before the game (which i'm sure would do wonders for morale :rolleyes:). Call me old fashioned, but I prefer my teams actually lose before I start downing them.

I love how much sugarcoating they are giving the ODU football team. Yes, its great for them to have a team, a new beautiful stadium. Yes, its great for Norfolk in general. However, they just basically played a scrimmage against a team coming from a school with an entire student body of 900! My HS (Princess Anne) had double that. How can you even field a team? Secondly, game 2 is against a team with a student body of 1600 (again, fewer than my HS). ODU has 24THOUSAND UNDERGRADS! They should have beat Chowan by at least 5 touchdowns.

Anyhow, its going to be a rude awakening when they play 3rd game, against an actual FCS opponent...and even worse, when they start playing real CAA teams next season...ie, the ones that just beat DI UVA and Duke.

Again, not to be a hater, but happy for Norfolk, ODU...just need to downplay how great of a team they are already.

I don't think anyone has suggested that ODU would be, or was, a great team right out of the gate. I think you're confusing hyper media coverage with sugarcoating. I haven't seen anyone claim that that was a perfect game, or that we're ready for a strong FCS opponent. They played as well as one could hope for a start-up program. "Yes! We won," is not sugarcoating.

Sugarcoating is saying UVA or Duke are decent FBS teams. :scared:

1st of, the ODU game was BIG for not just ODU and it's students but, also for the whole metro area. We have Norfolk State and Hampton U as well as the prestigious William and Mary already that field good to great FCS teams and have had players go on to the NFL. That said, ODU may be the most sport relevant in the area long term. The student body of 24,000 shows many kids picked ODU to get there career education and college years of fun! Football, with all due respect to baseball and basketball, and other sports is the new pastime of America and ODU with football can only improve it's national name!!! I'm happy not just that they won but, they stepped up and finally did what they should have years ago, got a college football team.

Can't wait to see Hampton vs. ODU and Norfolk State vs. ODU! Then ODU vs. William and Mary!!! This is great for us all. Now as for VA Tech Hokies losing on Saturday, that hurt. I myself am a Miami Hurricane fan to the heart but, like to see any home state teams do well when not playing my Miami Canes team. The Hokies were reps for the state of VA, not just there school. The whole football viewing country was watching and they see a Virginia team losing, not just Tech. I wanted that win for the state!!! Not to mention the recruiting of out of state players. With UVA down for the last couple of years, Tech is the rep for the BIG Division 1 schools!!!!! We needed a breakthrough win for the state and we lost that chance on Saturday to Alabama!

Edited by usermel

I was at the ODU game. It was great. Nothing to complain about. So what if they were playing a small school, it was their first game! With 24,000 students they have the chance to become very good. At the point they are at now, NSU would crush them. Imagine how great a day it will be in Hampton Roads when Norfolk State plays Old Dominion annually. I can't wait.

I agree totally with regard to anticipation of better opponents and advancing toward full CAA status. I guess you are right about the hyper-media coverage. I was thinking about it and realized that initially I was significantly more excited last year when the team was coming together than I was after that win. I think I was just tired of hearing about it and then realized they were playing a glorified scrimmage.

The coverage was thorough to say the least. It is certainly nice that the area can get behind the team...and I hope it stays that way. Its just odd to me that there is sooo much backing for a fledgling football team, yet getting people to fill any Tides or Admirals game is near impossible until they are basically in the hunt for the championship. We could use something to have solid support to perhaps advance the region to the true national stage and get a pro team.

Size of the school shouldn't matter as much as division. This was a division II FCS team that won a championship not too long ago. ODU will be only playing one division higher in the Division I FCS albeit in the premier division of the CAA. For ODU to start out with the schedule they have is admirable in my opinion. Just for reference CNU is a division III school and would get its butt kicked by Chowan. It's not about school size as much as division. Did anyone really expect ODU to come out scrapping in the CAA. REally? It was obvious at the game that ODU is built for Division I FCS. The linemen were much larger and more athletic then Chowan. And really, Chowan should be lucky that the game wasn't any worse than it was because there were two touchdowns called back due to terrible officiating calls. Ultimately, the coach knew what he was doing by scheduling an somewhat easy opponent up front. Give the kids some confidence before they hit teams that are going to capitalize on the mistakes they make. Congrats ODU.

Can't wait to see Hampton vs. ODU and Norfolk State vs. ODU! Then ODU vs. William and Mary!!! This is great for us all. Now as for VA Tech Hokies losing on Saturday, that hurt. I myself am a Miami Hurricane fan to the heart but, like to see any home state teams do well when not playing my Miami Canes team. The Hokies were reps for the state of VA, not just there school. The whole football viewing country was watching and they see a Virginia team losing, not just Tech. I wanted that win for the state!!! Not to mention the recruiting of out of state players. With UVA down for the last couple of years, Tech is the rep for the BIG Division 1 schools!!!!! We needed a breakthrough win for the state and we lost that chance on Saturday to Alabama!

Hey, hey, hey. A fellow Canes fan. Very cool. There aren't many of us in this area. It just felt nice to take down Fla. State last night, didn't it? However, I do part with you when it comes to Va. Tech. I never root for Va. Tech unless they are playing Florida or Florida State. ;)

I did not go to ODU, but as a Norfolk native I was thrilled to see all the news coverage and excitement over ODU's football team. This is great for the area. It was nice seeing all the parties and tailgaters around ODU and Larchmont. There was electricity in the air as you walked around University Village and the other parts of the area. I am also excited to see ODU play some of the other local schools once ODU gets a few years on their program and have a more competitive team.

I was at the ODU game. It was great. Nothing to complain about. So what if they were playing a small school, it was their first game! With 24,000 students they have the chance to become very good. At the point they are at now, NSU would crush them. Imagine how great a day it will be in Hampton Roads when Norfolk State plays Old Dominion annually. I can't wait.

For ODU to become a high level college football program, you really shouldn't want them to play Norfolk State annually. William and Mary, maybe, but not NSU or Hampton or Chowan or ECSU........you get the point.

For ODU to become a high level college football program, you really shouldn't want them to play Norfolk State annually. William and Mary, maybe, but not NSU or Hampton or Chowan or ECSU........you get the point.

Disagree with you there CarolinaBoy... an annual rivalry contest between ODU and NSU would be great for the city of Norfolk ($$). Give them something to play for (like a Mayor's cup, or an Oyster Bowl perhaps) and you set the stage for exactly what the "higher level programs" have... an intra-state/city trophy. It could be a lasting relationship even if one school is FBS and the other is FCS (which do exist).

Disagree with you there CarolinaBoy... an annual rivalry contest between ODU and NSU would be great for the city of Norfolk ($$). Give them something to play for (like a Mayor's cup, or an Oyster Bowl perhaps) and you set the stage for exactly what the "higher level programs" have... an intra-state/city trophy. It could be a lasting relationship even if one school is FBS and the other is FCS (which do exist).

I totally understand your point br0guy and you're right, rivalries are needed and exciting (especially in-state or in-city) when building/maintaining a program.

But, I don't think it is the intention of ODU to create a footbal team, renovate and ultimately expand the stadium, build practice facilities/weight rooms and recruit players to play NSU every year. I think there are big time aspirations there and I maintain that those aspirations can not be fulfilled playing NSU or schools like NSU (unless of course I completely misread the ODU program/situation).

Not hating on NSU, but I think ODU (in their size metro) will be able to recruit a better athlete to get them to the next level.

I totally understand your point br0guy and you're right, rivalries are needed and exciting (especially in-state or in-city) when building/maintaining a program.

But, I don't think it is the intention of ODU to create a footbal team, renovate and ultimately expand the stadium, build practice facilities/weight rooms and recruit players to play NSU every year. I think there are big time aspirations there and I maintain that those aspirations can not be fulfilled playing NSU or schools like NSU (unless of course I completely misread the ODU program/situation).

Not hating on NSU, but I think ODU (in their size metro) will be able to recruit a better athlete to get them to the next level.

I'm going to have to disagree as well. ODU is not going to become FBS and start playing the Alabama's and the Virginia Tech's of the sports world for a long time..Sure, give them 10- 15 years maybe they could transfer to the ACC or Big East or something like that, but until then they wouldn't even been Norfolk State or Hampton. NSU- HU is a big rivarly around Hampton Roads, the Battle of the Bay it's called, I go every year. It's a big deal around here. While ODU is getting better and building a substantial program, let 'em play NSU, they might even get their butts handed to them. And even if ODU becomes the next William & Mary, why wouldn't they continue the annual rivalry game? William & Mary plays at Norfolk State in a couple weeks. What's the difference?

I'm going to have to disagree as well. ODU is not going to become FBS and start playing the Alabama's and the Virginia Tech's of the sports world for a long time..Sure, give them 10- 15 years maybe they could transfer to the ACC or Big East or something like that, but until then they wouldn't even been Norfolk State or Hampton. NSU- HU is a big rivarly around Hampton Roads, the Battle of the Bay it's called, I go every year. It's a big deal around here. While ODU is getting better and building a substantial program, let 'em play NSU, they might even get their butts handed to them. And even if ODU becomes the next William & Mary, why wouldn't they continue the annual rivalry game? William & Mary plays at Norfolk State in a couple weeks. What's the difference?

As long as ODU is an FCS team, I don't see a problem with us playing NSU yearly. It would attract more people than any stadium in the area could hold, that's for sure. But I don't know if it would become a full blown rivalry.

As long as ODU is an FCS team, I don't see a problem with us playing NSU yearly. It would attract more people than any stadium in the area could hold, that's for sure. But I don't know if it would become a full blown rivalry.

Norfolk State Vs. Hampton attracts 30,000 every year. I'm sure with 24,000 students at ODU, they could easily fill a 50,000 seat stadium.

I think it's gonna become a rivalry. NSU is already mad they aren't getting any press coverage with ODU in the spotlight. It will become Norfolk's version of the subway series in NY. Except our's is the light rail series (hopefully they extend it to ODU sooner than later).

Do you guys see ODU expanding Foreman Field anytime soon? 20,000 is not big enough to meet the demand. I'd say they need 35,000- 40,000 for when they start playing the William & Mary's and JMU's.

Edited by varider

Norfolk State Vs. Hampton attracts 30,000 every year. I'm sure with 24,000 students at ODU, they could easily fill a 50,000 seat stadium.

I think it's gonna become a rivalry. NSU is already mad they aren't getting any press coverage with ODU in the spotlight. It will become Norfolk's version of the subway series in NY. Except our's is the light rail series (hopefully they extend it to ODU sooner than later).

Do you guys see ODU expanding Foreman Field anytime soon? 20,000 is not big enough to meet the demand. I'd say they need 35,000- 40,000 for when they start playing the William & Mary's and JMU's.

There are plans, but they're tightly under wraps.

In time, maybe. Wait for a few years, when the newness wears off, and the reality of being in the same conference as Richmond, William & Mary, and James Madison sinks in. ODU could be a really good team and finish no better than 4th in their division of the CAA. The attendance may drop when the conference losing streak starts.

As for a NSU/ODU rivalry, it would be nice, but i don't think we'll see it. The only sport that ODU plays NSU is baseball. And with the killer conference that ODU football will be in, i'd bet they schedule some cupcakes before they schedule NSU.

Edited by jeffconn

For the record, Chowan may have won a championship several years ago in DII, but they finished 2-8 last year.

Secondly, there is no reason to think about expanding Foreman field within the next 20 years. Unless they win enough and have enough money and fans to go up to DI BCS, the stands wont need expansion. The avg attendance at "Big Name" schools of FCS CAA schools is around 10-15K. That includes schools within larger cities.

ODU will likely not advance to that level anytime soon, unless they continue expansion...which they might. However, in this economic climate, they would need a serious donation from some rich benefactor. Dont forget, the driving force of all of the expansion and ODU's tremendous leaps (including the football program) that have occurred over the past few years, stemmed from a president who is no longer there. Unfortunately, that was a huge loss for the school.

In time, maybe. Wait for a few years, when the newness wears off, and the reality of being in the same conference as Richmond, William & Mary, and James Madison sinks in. ODU could be a really good team and finish no better than 4th in their division of the CAA. The attendance may drop when the conference losing streak starts.

As for a NSU/ODU rivalry, it would be nice, but i don't think we'll see it. The only sport that ODU plays NSU is baseball. And with the killer conference that ODU football will be in, i'd bet they schedule some cupcakes before they schedule NSU.

NSU and ODU already have a home and home series slated to kickoff in 2013... It was reported in the Pilot. I'll see if I can find a link.

NSU and ODU already have a home and home series slated to kickoff in 2013... It was reported in the Pilot. I'll see if I can find a link.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/01/norfolk-st...-beginning-2013

Norfolk State and Old Dominion - schools separated by only 4 miles - have decided to face each other in football beginning in 2013.

The schools expect to finalize an initial two-year deal within a week and could eventually turn this into an annual series. Both are itching to get started.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/01/norfolk-st...-beginning-2013

Norfolk State and Old Dominion - schools separated by only 4 miles - have decided to face each other in football beginning in 2013.

The schools expect to finalize an initial two-year deal within a week and could eventually turn this into an annual series. Both are itching to get started.

That was quick!! LOL

For the record, Chowan may have won a championship several years ago in DII, but they finished 2-8 last year.

Secondly, there is no reason to think about expanding Foreman field within the next 20 years. Unless they win enough and have enough money and fans to go up to DI BCS, the stands wont need expansion. The avg attendance at "Big Name" schools of FCS CAA schools is around 10-15K. That includes schools within larger cities.

ODU will likely not advance to that level anytime soon, unless they continue expansion...which they might. However, in this economic climate, they would need a serious donation from some rich benefactor. Dont forget, the driving force of all of the expansion and ODU's tremendous leaps (including the football program) that have occurred over the past few years, stemmed from a president who is no longer there. Unfortunately, that was a huge loss for the school.

Size of Alumni pool and school drive the stadium expansion. Many of the graduates of ODU stay locally, working in shipyards, government and other scientific areas. So yes, demand is high for ODU football despite the fact that they play such a cake schedule right now. Heck, they had to refund over 1,000+ season tickets this year because they overbooked and underestimated the needs of the visiting school. Many people chided ODU for building box seats and "skyboxes" yet there isn't one single box or skybox open and there is a waiting list to even try to get one. The school is already drawing plans to expand the stadium to 30,000 and rumors of completely demolishing the stands and building around the new game day building. But hey, there is no reason to expand within the next 20 years right?

I would not go as far to say in the next 20 years or so, but I would go out on a limb and say, there is no real way you can determine that in the first year. Everyone will attend the games off hype for the first year alone, you have to wait until the area gets use to "odu football" before you can make good plans like that and are actually mouth worthy.

In my opinion, ODU will have to expand the stadium within the next 5 years to at least hold 30,000. NSU gets 25,000- 30,000 every single game and they are in the MEAC! They only have 6,000 students. ODU with 4 times the enrollment, playing in a conference that is about as good as it gets until your in the FBS, they will need to expand.

I would not go as far to say in the next 20 years or so, but I would go out on a limb and say, there is no real way you can determine that in the first year. Everyone will attend the games off hype for the first year alone, you have to wait until the area gets use to "odu football" before you can make good plans like that and are actually mouth worthy.

The plans are already started. There was a report by the pilot a few weeks back. One further thing on the strength of schedule issue. Let's not forget that the highest class ranking is a sophmor who transferred in. Almost all other players are red shirt freshman or simply freshman. By rule they could not do it any other way. So despite the lack of strength of schedule these are relatively new players to the world of college football, while all of these other team have experienced seniors and starters.