sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

I got to check out the newly renovated Foreman Field and eyeball the new football team yesterday. I have to say that I was impressed. When I was in college I saw tons of games at the historic Orange Bowl. ODU should be proud of their excellent facility. The atmosphere was great. There were plenty of tailgaters and parties all through out Larchmont. There were people packed into all the bars and restaurants. You could feel the electricity and excitement in the air. This is something that has been lacking at ODU. It was fantastic to see all the students and alumni wearing their silver and blue and going nuts at the game. I am sure the local businesses also love the increased foot traffic in the area that game days generate. What a huge plus for Norfolk. And it makes Norfolk the only city in Hampton Roads with two Division I FCS football teams.

Edited by Rokk

ODU overcomes a sure rout in the second half to beat a very Good FCS Div-I-AA team Jacksonville. I think these boys are for real. Almost all of them are red shirt Freshman with very few exceptions. By the time this team plays in the CAA, they will be very experienced and a well oiled machine. First year in the CAA could line up to be a Cinderella year.

ODU overcomes a sure rout in the second half to beat a very Good FCS Div-I-AA team Jacksonville. I think these boys are for real. Almost all of them are red shirt Freshman with very few exceptions. By the time this team plays in the CAA, they will be very experienced and a well oiled machine. First year in the CAA could line up to be a Cinderella year.

Yeah.

Comment on Pilotonline said after the game the players and the coaches genuinely thanked each fan that came all the way to Jacksonville, and shook hands and hugged the fans before leaving the field.

Now that's heart.

Tonight is the night for NHL in Hampton Roads. Tampa Bay LIghtning vs. Norfolk Admirals tonight at Scope. 7:00pm.

I'm afraid the attendance is going to be kind of low since there was really no advertising for the game.

I think your right about the attendance because I found out from you at 7:35 pm! Would have went if I knew it was a game with Tampa tonight! L.G.N.M

It's a football Saturday in HR. ODU hosts Monmouth at 6 pm. Norfolk State plays Bethune-Cookman in the 62nd Fish Bowl at 4 pm. Hampton hosts Delaware State at 6 pm. Christopher Newport plays Wilkes University at 1 pm, and William & Mary goes up against Delaware at 7 pm for a Parent's Weekend game. The Apprentice School is the only area college that doesn't have a home game today.

ODU lost 28-31. :( It was bound to happen sooner or later, I was hoping a little later though. The first two early TD's were exciting, but were too good to be true. Monmouth's offense was great. And too bad their QB got injured early on, his leg was all braced up after the game. Fun game to watch... until our comeback didn't happen.

Next game is at Fordham in NY.

ODU lost 28-31. :( It was bound to happen sooner or later, I was hoping a little later though. The first two early TD's were exciting, but were too good to be true. Monmouth's offense was great. And too bad their QB got injured early on, his leg was all braced up after the game. Fun game to watch... until our comeback didn't happen.

Next game is at Fordham in NY.

Nothing against Monmouth's running game, but ODU beat themselves. They lost by 3.

1. Bad snap on a routine (for ODU's kicker) field goal attempt. No points.

2. Iladvised on-sides kick just 3 minutes into game with us leading 14-0. Led to a Monmouth TD.

3. Incomplete pass on Monmouth 35 (receiver wide open) with ball bouncing off reciever's chest and into defender's arms and then 40-yard return. Led to TD.

4. Lots of dropped passes.

Still: These guys are doing pretty darn good for a first-year team of mostly freshmen. Gotta like the future.

Edited by Sky06

Admirals lose to the Hershey Bears 3-1 on the road in the season opener. 0-1. But I'll cut them some slack because Hershey won the AHL championship last season. I can't wait until next Friday when they come home.

Old Dominion lost to Fordham in a monsoon in the Bronx. 3-2.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rant time. :rolleyes:

I support every Hampton Roads sports team all year long. I enjoy going to the college basketball/football games and absolutely love my Tides and Admirals. But I'm starting to get tired of following these minor league teams. I go to a Tides game and have a blast, then I come home and turn on the tv and see the Yankees playing the Red Sox and in my head I'm like "the Tides are so wack!" What I'm saying is, I want a professional major league sports team here so bad. I want to have season tickets and ride the tide to the game every single night and watch my team play for championships. I want to buy jerseys, turn on ESPN and see my team on the tv, walk downtown and see professional athletes eating dinner, I want it all.

The chance for a pro team here is the NBA. We've all agreed on that. It's not some pie in the sky dream. Who would have thought Norfolk would have urban rail transport? A baseball stadium on the waterfront? An ''upscale" mall in the center of downtown? Anything is possible.

Oklahoma City had dreams of the NBA. They built a 20,000 seat arena for $90 milllion. 5 years later they have a NBA team. Yeah it's expensive. But that city will reap the benefits of that decision for the next 100 years. I understand that Norfolk isn't a big city. I understand that Norfolk has lots of poor residents. But what I also know is that Hampton Roads as a whole is a big metro and has thousands of wealthy residents that love to watch sports. I've heard that we are in the top 10 in the nation for watching sports on tv.

Levy a 1 cent gas tax or sales tax throughout the metro. Save up the $$$. Continue to better the city. 5-10 years down the road a team will be ready for change.. Put them in Scope or the Constant Center for a couple years while their brand new stadium is being constructed in St. Paul's Quadrant. Next thing you know, my dream has come true.

Oklahoma City had dreams of the NBA. They built a 20,000 seat arena for $90 milllion. 5 years later they have a NBA team. Yeah it's expensive. But that city will reap the benefits of that decision for the next 100 years. I understand that Norfolk isn't a big city. I understand that Norfolk has lots of poor residents. But what I also know is that Hampton Roads as a whole is a big metro and has thousands of wealthy residents that love to watch sports. I've heard that we are in the top 10 in the nation for watching sports on tv.

Levy a 1 cent gas tax or sales tax throughout the metro. Save up the $$$. Continue to better the city. 5-10 years down the road a team will be ready for change.. Put them in Scope or the Constant Center for a couple years while their brand new stadium is being constructed in St. Paul's Quadrant. Next thing you know, my dream has come true.

For that kind of $ you could make a big dent in any light rail/transportation issues here. And what are the odds that HR can spend the $ necessary to have a good team. IMHO, it is better to pay a little $ support ODU and our local teams, who are pretty good, than to be bummed out paying big $ supporting a team that stinks.

I went to an ODU soccer match last night. Cheap or free. Good crowd (estimate 800-1000). Our guys are 19th in the nation. Why not go?

For that kind of $ you could make a big dent in any light rail/transportation issues here. And what are the odds that HR can spend the $ necessary to have a good team. IMHO, it is better to pay a little $ support ODU and our local teams, who are pretty good, than to be bummed out paying big $ supporting a team that stinks.

I went to an ODU soccer match last night. Cheap or free. Good crowd (estimate 800-1000). Our guys are 19th in the nation. Why not go?

Every expansion or relocation team starts out bad. Heck, OKC only won 20 games their first season. But so what. To me, it's not about supporting a team because they are good. I would go watch a pro team in HR every single night Win or Lose.

And I'm not a fan of soccer. Plus ODU is a school, not a city. If it was a MLS soccer team in HR I'd support.

Every expansion or relocation team starts out bad. Heck, OKC only won 20 games their first season. But so what. To me, it's not about supporting a team because they are good. I would go watch a pro team in HR every single night Win or Lose.

And I'm not a fan of soccer. Plus ODU is a school, not a city. If it was a MLS soccer team in HR I'd support.

If I'm going to be devoted to a team, I have to have some sort of connection. Give me an ODU sailing regatta and I could learn to love it. But plopping a team of any sport in Norfolk just because it's a professional team isn't that appealing.

Keep in mind this is just my opinion, and I really don't like professional sports that much anyways, probably because the area has never had one, so I'm not accustomed to it. But Norfolk hasn't had one for reasons that still exist today. Basically the area has to get its identity straight and its pride way up so there can be that connection. I think as time goes on and things work out for the region, then a pro-team will be sure to follow.

I'm not a fan of soccer either, it's the environment . . . the attitude . . . the excitement. And what do you mean that ODU is a school, not a city? How is a professional team any different/better (other than the level of play). If anything, ODU is better associated with a city b/c the athletes choose to come here.

I'm not a fan of soccer either, it's the environment . . . the attitude . . . the excitement. And what do you mean that ODU is a school, not a city? How is a professional team any different/better (other than the level of play). If anything, ODU is better associated with a city b/c the athletes choose to come here.

It's so much different dude.. Just turn to the MLB playoffs right now and you'll see the difference. 50,000 fans all cheering on their city's team competing for a championship compared to 500 people at an ODU soccer or baseball game? I'd rather have the former.

It's so much different dude.. Just turn to the MLB playoffs right now and you'll see the difference. 50,000 fans all cheering on their city's team competing for a championship compared to 500 people at an ODU soccer or baseball game? I'd rather have the former.

Depends on the sport and the area. If you are comparing college soccer to Major League Baseball, then you are right. However, college football and college basketball are more popular than the pro teams in certain areas of the country. I am positive that the University of Tennessee football team routinely outdraws the Titans. The same could be said for the Florida Gators football team versus the Jacksonville Jaguars. USC football has always been more popular than whatever NFL team has been located in LA.

I generally find having pro sports teams to be rather overrated. I have lived in DC and in Miami. For the most part, the pro sports teams in both areas added little to what I found appealing to both metro areas. If anything, the sports teams in DC and Miami served as constant drains on the communities with their never ending demands for new arenas and stadiums.

Now, having said that, I wouldnt' mind ODU expanding their stadium and making the jump to Division I FBS division in ten years.

I'm from New York City and 44 years old. I know what it is like to live with professional teams. It is great if they are good (the point I made awhile ago). Most teams aren't good enough to warrant a lot of excitement, and their games can be boring. And Yankees tix can easily run $200. Be sure that you know what you wish for.

HR is clearly minor league. I am only saying that it isn't such a bad thing. Sure, if we had a good team it would be great, but we often overlook the little things that make a place like HR great in an attempt to chase the big dreams.

I'm gonna have to agree with Varider. If we could just have one big league team that all of Hampton Roads can rally around, Hampton Roads would finally have its place on the map. If it weren't for the Colts, the Panthers, the Packers, the Cardinals and the Diamondbacks, the The Twins and the Vikings, etc., I would not have even known the cities of Indianapolis, Charlotte, Greenbay, Phoenix, Minneapolis and St. Paul, etc. even existed. Every time I try to describe Hampton Roads to out-of-staters, it just ends in confusion because of the identity crisis this region faces. I'm not asking for much, but a decent MLB or NFL team (or NBA or NHL) would allow the nation to know what Hampton Roads is. I don't mind rooting for D.C. area teams, but the problem is, Hampton Roads and D.C. (and even Northern VA) are almost as different as night and day in some aspects.

It would be hard for me to rally behind ODU like that because I don't go to ODU, and it's just not the same. (Not to say I disagree with supporting ODU or making Foreman Field larger.) Idk. Pro sports teams are overrated and expensive, but there's just something about having pro teams that makes a city special.