sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

I saw on ESPN that Blaine Taylor (coach of ODU) was the most underrated coach in the NCAA.

&& I walked down Monticello last evening and can remember how crowded Kincaid's was from the window.

The whole downtown was hoppin'. Admirals jerseys eveywhere. Felt like a real city for a moment. && I agree. The NHL might be able to have a successful franchise in Norfolk. 6,100 for a mid-major hockey team. Build a 18,000 person arena for hockey and I'd say it'd be filled to capacity.. and then since we would already have that arena built, the NBA might even start to look at us again.

The NHL has to sell out every one of it's games. They don't have a big TV contract, so gate receipts account for >50% of revenue. There's a lot of teams struggling there right now. NBA would be a better fit for Hampton Roads, but the same is true for them as well, though for different reasons. As one prominent sports columnist put it, it's the No Benjamins Association.

ODU plays tomorrow night for the CAA championship in Richmond on ESPN-7:00pm.

&& up in Richmond they are trying to start a movement to rebuild their Coliseum by using fees on air travelers from Richmond Int'l...

http://www.newrichmondcoliseum.org/The_Solution.html

It really doesn't seem like a half-bad idea. $2 on deplaning passengers. $4 on enplaning passengers.

I know you all feel we don't need a new and improved stadium, but I feel strongly that the Scope needs to be replaced with a larger arena to lure a professional franchise in the nextten years.

I saw on ESPN that Blaine Taylor (coach of ODU) was the most underrated coach in the NCAA.

&& I walked down Monticello last evening and can remember how crowded Kincaid's was from the window.

The whole downtown was hoppin'. Admirals jerseys eveywhere. Felt like a real city for a moment. && I agree. The NHL might be able to have a successful franchise in Norfolk. 6,100 for a mid-major hockey team. Build a 18,000 person arena for hockey and I'd say it'd be filled to capacity.. and then since we would already have that arena built, the NBA might even start to look at us again.

I could see the NHL in Norfolk...though I would love to see the team take on the name the Admirals...though as I have said before, I dont see the NHL expanding anymore, so for the city to get a team, it will have to be through relocation. But that region could definitely handle an NHL team and fill a small 18,000 seat arena easily.

On a side note, I wouldnt be shocked to see the first pro team end up in Virginia Beach either.

I could see the NHL in Norfolk...though I would love to see the team take on the name the Admirals...though as I have said before, I dont see the NHL expanding anymore, so for the city to get a team, it will have to be through relocation. But that region could definitely handle an NHL team and fill a small 18,000 seat arena easily.

On a side note, I wouldnt be shocked to see the first pro team end up in Virginia Beach either.

Uhh, IDC where it ends up. Just as long as it's in SEVA.

Uhh, IDC where it ends up. Just as long as it's in SEVA.

Not to be a downer or anything, but the NHL isn't really that big of a league. Here up at Illinois, just about everyone's a Blackhawks fan, but a few years ago that wasn't the case. Maybe about ten years ago the owners of the team were struggling to sell tickets and was too embarrased to air games on TV because of the team's low attendance. But here's what happened: the team got good, and voila! Every person in the Chicagoland area is all of a sudden a Blackhawks fan.

I really like hockey a lot. I'll never forget when my dad took me to see my first Stars game when I was little. But hockey really isn't America's sport. Only half of the players are American, and we're seeing more teams that were located in the southern United States either lose attendance or are considering a move to Canada (Pheonix). NHL is only really big in cold areas like the Northeast. Having said that, I think we should slowly build our way up in the sporting world by attracting teams that require a higher attendance. Instead of trying to get an NBA team now, why not try attracting a D-league team or something like that? Maybe host more exhibition games at Harbor Park and Scope and see if attendance is consistently good with more major league exhibitions. If attendance is good, companies should be more likely to sponsor professional teams and purchase luxury suites at games.

But this is only my opinion though and take it with a grain of salt. I'm only a freshman in college and don't know more about economics than what my dad has explained to me (he's also the same one that told me LRT would never come to Norfolk).

Maybe host more exhibition games at Harbor Park and Scope and see if attendance is consistently good with more major league exhibitions. If attendance is good, companies should be more likely to sponsor professional teams and purchase luxury suites at games.

The Orioles played the Nationals in front of a sold-out Harbor Park last year.

The Orioles played the Nationals in front of a sold-out Harbor Park last year.

Right, I'm not arguing the fact that they should start playing exhibitions, I'm saying that major league teams should come here to play more exhibition games to see if venues like Harbor Park and Scope are consistently sold out. Of course Harbor Park will be sold out if once every two years the Nats play the O's because it doesn't happen in this area very often, but would Harbor Park be sold out if the O's and/or Nats came and played a few or more spring training games every year? Would Scope be sold out if the Lightning played the Hurricanes (just an example) a few times every year? That's what I was trying to get across.

Booo. No D-league. I want THE league.

haha, I can agree with you there, I am just saying that the D-League is basically a minor league and I am surprised Norfolk hasnt had one for a while now...on wikipedia it mentions that Richmond might be pursuing a team, but I didnt do any other research on that info. Even if the state got a D-League team, it would probably have very little weight when it comes to sports.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Besides, we don't have enough corporate sponsors that would be willing to sponsor an NBA team... not right now at least.

we've been crawling to walk forever. It's time to stand up and walk on two feet! The tides and the admirals have been here forever. we don't need a third minor league team. corporate this, corporate that. we have Norfolk Southern, Amerigroup, Dollar Tree, Stihl, Smithfield, the Port, northrup grumman, etc.

we've been crawling to walk forever. It's time to stand up and walk on two feet! The tides and the admirals have been here forever. we don't need a third minor league team. corporate this, corporate that. we have Norfolk Southern, Amerigroup, Dollar Tree, Stihl, Smithfield, the Port, northrup grumman, etc.

Alright I'm gonna try making this my last post for now because we might be getting a bit off topic, but major league teams require dozens of corporate sponsors, both big and small. Harbor Park can't even sell out all of its luxury suites or lease out all of its advertising space. Amerigroup is a corrupt business founded by a greedy man. Jeff McWaters didn't care about the welfare of his employees, only the massive amounts of money he was making. Even under new management, I still don't think Amerigroup would care to sponsor a sports team, if it even could afford it.

In order for one of Virginia's two biggest metros to get a major league team, we would need one of the cities to have the population of Hampton Roads and the corporate presence of Richmond. I hate to be slightly pessimistic on this subject, but ten companies are not going to sustain a team. Major league teams a lured to cities for two big reasons: 1. Because the city is a major American city or part of a large metropolitan area with a large corporate presence, headquarters or otherwise (Houston, NYC, LA, Chicago) or 2. Because the owner likes the city so much that he decides to move the team to that city (Raleigh, OKC).

I love your optimism varider, you seem a lot like I was a few years ago, but something I came to realize as I got older is that you need to be a bit realistic as well. A healthy mix of both is what will make you a successful planner. I see good things coming out of you kid. Again probably not the right place to ask this, but have you considered where you want to study planning?

The next MLB team will be in the American League and out west. Hampton Roads cannot support an MLB team. It's too small in both population & corporate support.

Yeah, the MLB is out of the question for Hampton Roads, I knew the region had no real shot at getting the Expos when they were looking to move...though I was thinking the team was gonna go to Portland (which is questionable if Portland could even handle a MLB team.) but the DC politics came into play and it went to an over saturated market...which we will see how well they do in DC.

Hampton Roads needs to focus on 2nd tier and 3rd tier pro sports teams.

We will need a multimillionaire who is respected to get a team here or a group of millionaires to do so. Everything is political in business!!! Deals are done because those who see money bout to be made want a cut and when we get the correct money people in place we will end up with a team(see Oklahoma City Thunder)! Nothing against Oklahoma City, nice town and there Downtown is growing hence there financial center is showing growth. That said, who would move a team there without money being a deal closer. From a GREAT city like Seattle(Been there,GREAT CITY) to a city that had no pro team and is in the middle of the US in OK City?

Lets trust that deal to bring the team to OK City was done due to money exchanging hands! We will get a team when the right money guys/gals make it happen. We have enough people and can support a team, thats a non issue. The issue is the closeness of D.C is a negative because all the sports we desire have huge folling from locals that support Washington D.C teams! The Redskins have a strong following here. Baseball not as much nor basketball/hockey but, people drive up to those pro games. North Caroloina has plenty teams as well. I think Virginia is looked at as a state that supports Washington D.C teams in all sports. Just a thought. Were will you put a team? In D.C so VA/MD residents can support it or in Norfolk or Richmond? D.C hurts us, without intent. Im sure if we try to get a team that the D.C team owners wouldnt support it. They wouldnt want to compete against Baltimore and Richmond/Norfolk! L.G.N.M

Edited by usermel

We will need a multimillionaire who is respected to get a team here or a group of millionaires to do so. Everything is political in business!!! Deals are done because those who see money bout to be made want a cut and when we get the correct money people in place we will end up with a team(see Oklahoma City Thunder)! Nothing against Oklahoma City, nice town and there Downtown is growing hence there financial center is showing growth. That said, who would move a team there without money being a deal closer. From a GREAT city like Seattle(Been there,GREAT CITY) to a city that had no pro team and is in the middle of the US in OK City?

The main issue with the Sonics was that they wanted a new arena because the other two teams got new places to play in and the city had no desire to replace the Key Arena for their third rate pro team. So the Sonics found themselves a city that would give them a new place to play and treat them as a first rate team. In OKC, the Sonics have no actual competition from any other pro team in the city.

DC will always be what stands in the way of Virginia getting a team, unless Virginia has a Paul Allen like person who is super rich and wants a Virginia team.

I agree with your last point urbanlife my friend!!! Now moving on, someone from Calgary said Hampton Roads doesnt have the population nor corporate strength to support a MLB team. I cant say I agree with that statement but, respect it very much! I disagree with it humbly though. I feel that most of the locals in the metro are tired of being a farm system to major league teams and thats part of why ticket sells are lower than they could be.They feel why pay for a minor league team. I know they feel like VaRider and want a team to call there own. The luxury seats at harbor park arent expensive its just that charging for luxury seats for a minor league team is a hard sell in general when the highest price ticket at Harbor Park thats non luxury is $11!!! Most locals dont know its a luxury seating option, trust me I found out last week! Ironic its was mentioned today/yesterday!

1.7 million people isnt what I would call not enough people to support a MLB team. For a metro like Norfolks with the money(old) in Va Beach and Williamsburg and Portsmouth,heck all the metro we can get season tickets sold and of course regular priced tickets. This areas money that the residents have is under estimated. I have a number of friends and we all earn over six figures(well over)! Most like us are looking for that thing we can participate in like pro team!! I respect the fact the fellow member from Calgary thinks its a no,no for Norfolk with the MLB but, again think our area is under estimated! L.G.N.M

Edited by usermel

You can't even begin to compare minor league sports to the big-time big-city major leagues. A lot of people in Hampton Roads haven't even heard of the Norfolk Admirals. A big-league team would surely have ten times more support than our minor leaguers. No doubt in my mind that we could fill a stadium consistently. Also, it's much easier to support pro teams. I try and follow the Tides and Admirals... but it sucks because very few people care and when the teams start to do good, the key players are moved up to the majors. Last season, the Tides had a commanding lead of first place in their division. Couple guys get called up to Baltimore, downhill from there. It sucks. I want pro sports. I really don't give two (fill in the blank?) about corporate bases or population. We have lots of people in HR.. enough to support a sports teamm. Look at Green Bay. Charlotte is the same population (recently may have passed us) yet has the Bobcats.

Its more about the local powers that be buddy then it is folks like us. I agree that minor league teams arent a good way to judge being like you said, when they have a great team, players get called up. If we had a NBA or NHL team it would work. I think MLB would work as well. Im not sure about the NFL because of the Redskins support. This area bleeds burgandy/gold. Yes we have Steelers fans/Panthers and others but, The Redskins rule here. Not a fan myself but, respect the strong hold the Redskins have locally. May be to strong to surpass! Redskins fans and tickets get passed down and traditions are hard to overcome. The MLB/NBA teams in D.C dont have the support here the Redskins have so, we can do those teams and also, maybe the NHL!!! The NFL may not be a good choice here though due to the Redskins!!

One day we will have a team, I dont see it in the next 25 years though. We need a stronger financial base in our urban center and as one member said, more corporate sponsors available! We need more suit wearing jobs downtown. We have the population just not the Brooks Brothers dollars. The old money isnt in question but, the guys/gals who were suits is!!! L.G.N.M

Edited by usermel

Even our minor league sports get faithful support. Back in the day, when the Admirals were really good, I can remember going to sell-out games at Scope. I can remember Scope erupting when the Admirals would score.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3516529&id=161080468232#!/photo.php?pid=3516529&id=161080468232&fbid=284735453232

Here's a pic of sold-out Admirals game.