sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

Awesome turnout for the game. Also, BIG UPS to ODU mens basketball for a great season and representing the area in the NCAA tournament! Love the fact the team always was in there games and they fought to WIN. Losing didn't take away from how this 2009-2010 ODU mens team was one of ODU's best. The football team started great and the basketball team under Blaine Taylor always plays hard! ODU in football and basketball are both on the RISE.

Congrats ODU for becoming a great sports school over the years. ODU woman's basketball as well is a great program. Cant say enough how ODU in also academics has done well to go along with a rising sports program. Much respect to the leadership across the board at ODU! Great hire of Blaine Taylor. He is a solid coach! L.G.N.Mshades.gif

VARIDER, your post game is crazy. At the time I post this you have 2102 post. WOW! YOU did that in just over 14 months. You really are a urbanplanet member to the core buddy! You truly have an interest in the events and development of the area at a young age and its encouraging for someone like me who's older. Our metro will be great with people like you as the future who mostly care!!! Caring is the start to improving the area even more than it already is. L.G.N.Mshades.gif

I just want to give a kudos to Tides management, especially in regards to maintenance of Harbor Park, always clean and nobody would of ever thought it is well over a 15 years old.

True statement VAGATOR! They have done a great job at the ballpark. One of the things done well in Norfolk is Harbor Park. Can't complain at all about a 15 year old park that looks that good and brings in over 10,000 people. Norfolk has done some great things and I think Harbor Park is especially for a triple A baseball team. Newer stadiums were trying to measure up to what Harbor Park did 15 years ago. I agree with fellow member VAGATOR!!!!shades.gifshades.gif L.G.N.M

VARIDER, your post game is crazy. At the time I post this you have 2102 post. WOW! YOU did that in just over 14 months. You really are a urbanplanet member to the core buddy! You truly have an interest in the events and development of the area at a young age and its encouraging for someone like me who's older. Our metro will be great with people like you as the future who mostly care!!! Caring is the start to improving the area even more than it already is. L.G.N.Mshades.gif

Yeah, I have like 4 posts/ day... I might need to coool it, haha.

Can't complain at all about a 15 year old park that looks that good and brings in over 10,000 people. Norfolk has done some great things and I think Harbor Park is especially for a triple A baseball team.

It was great to be at the game with over 10,000 fans. I understand that it's spring break for kids.. but 10,000+ fans at a AAA baseball game on a weeknight is impessive in anybody's book.

The Tides had 10,056 in attendance last night.. while the Washington Nationals had 20,217 (MLB). At least half in attendance at the Nationals games were the opposing team's fans that came down from Philadelphia.. 99% of the Tides attendance was from Hampton Roads. If the Washington National's only get 49% more fans then our minor league baseball team.. I believe that is more proof that Norfolk could support a Major League franchise. I really, really, reallly, reallly,really, reallly, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, realy really, really,really, really, wish that the Expos would have came to Norfolk and not DC. They could be called the Norfolk Tides.. just Major League status. Support would be crazy. I could see the entire city walking around in paraphaneilia . No doubt in my mind that the entire first season would be sold out.

Also, the Admirals are at home tonight against the Hershey Bears. It's the last regular season game. If I'm not mistaken.. if the Admirals win.. they are in the playoffs.

Good photo, and over 5,000 people for Hockey in Virginia is great!!! I know its not the NHL and the Tides arent in the MLB but, we show signs of being able to support a pro team, hands down!!!! L.G.N.Mfun.giffun.giffun.gif

I agree, especially with the Tides playing downtown tooo at the same time as the Admirals. I really want a pro team.

I agree, especially with the Tides playing downtown tooo at the same time as the Admirals. I really want a pro team.

We are in no way able to support a major league pro team. Just over 5,000 fans is not indicative of NHL attendance and, like I've said before, this METRO does not have the economic base (corporate support), local interest, or infrastructure ability to support a pro team. Maybe in 30 or more years we'd be able to get one, but it's absolutely out of the question right now for Norfolk. My parents were at the Tides game tonight and they said that attendance was nowhere near where it was last night. Two factors must be taken into account to get a pro team: an economic base (cities like Oakland, Salt Lake City, and Indianapolis have strong corporate support, not necessarily population) and population (cities like Jacksonville, San Antonio, and San Jose have population, but not necessarily a great economic base). Norfolk and Hampton Roads simply do not have the market for a pro team, and that is quoting the Planning Director of Norfolk. Additionally, Norfolk only has one major public business' corporate headquarters located in the city. The shipping companies simply do not have the need to sponsor pro teams, nor do they have the money to do so. A pro team, as of now, is only a far off dream that Norfolk won't get unless, by some G-d given miracle, some extremely rich, powerful, and influential individual purchases a dying major league team and strongly convinces the stakeholders to approve the relocation of that team, and even then it would be unlikely.

Sorry for the this, but sometimes it's good for a reality check.

We are in no way able to support a major league pro team. Just over 5,000 fans is not indicative of NHL attendance and, like I've said before, this METRO does not have the economic base (corporate support), local interest, or infrastructure ability to support a pro team. Maybe in 30 or more years we'd be able to get one, but it's absolutely out of the question right now for Norfolk. My parents were at the Tides game tonight and they said that attendance was nowhere near where it was last night. Two factors must be taken into account to get a pro team: an economic base (cities like Oakland, Salt Lake City, and Indianapolis have strong corporate support, not necessarily population) and population (cities like Jacksonville, San Antonio, and San Jose have population, but not necessarily a great economic base). Norfolk and Hampton Roads simply do not have the market for a pro team, and that is quoting the Planning Director of Norfolk. Additionally, Norfolk only has one major public business' corporate headquarters located in the city. The shipping companies simply do not have the need to sponsor pro teams, nor do they have the money to do so. A pro team, as of now, is only a far off dream that Norfolk won't get unless, by some G-d given miracle, some extremely rich, powerful, and influential individual purchases a dying major league team and strongly convinces the stakeholders to approve the relocation of that team, and even then it would be unlikely.

Sorry for the this, but sometimes it's good for a reality check.

I really appreciate your comments on the situation. Maybe it's becasue I'm young and ignorant, but I refuse to believe this. Yeah, the Ads only draw about 5,000 fans.. and sometimes it's in the 4s and 3s.. but the recent Admirals have had a tradition of losing, first of all... Back when the Admirals won some games I can remember going to sold-out hockey games with around 8,000-9,000 that were very exciting. But given this, you can't compare AHL attendance to what would happen with the NHL. Sure, a city that sells out every AHL game would definately be able to support an NHL team.. but just because your city averages 5,000, means nothing for what would happen with an NHL team. Really, only a select few people in the HR area, even KNOW about the Norfolk Admirals.. and only a handful of them care about them. But give us an National Hockey League team and support would increase ten-fold. Just the fact that your city has a team that's stable, and that matters would mean a lot. A team that can compete for the Stanley Cup. A team that you can play with on Playstation's and Xbox's, a team that you can get to know all the players, a team that you can watch on national television, etc.

And don't even get me started on the Tides. The Tides are a joke, really. Everyone loves going to Tides games, and a lot of people know about them.. but really. Everytime Norfolk is doing good.. our best players move up to Baltimore and the team's record plummets. Last season, we were in first place for the majority of the summer, and then our best players went on to the O's and we fell to like fourth place. Things like that make it impossible to follow the Tides, like you could a MLB team. Now I'm not going to sit here and say that Norfolk could continuously fill a 50,000+ ballpark.. but don't count us out. I think anything is possible, and I don't believe in any of that lack of corporate sponsers or lack of population, etc.

When talking about Sports in Norfolk.. you must look at Norfolk's entire metropolitan area. Yes, Norfolk has one lonely fortune 500 HQ, but when you add in Virginia Beach and it's Stihl International HQ.. and Amerigoup HQ. Then you turn to Chesapeake with Dollar Tree HQ.. Then you look to Smithfield's HQ.. the Northrup Grumman, etc. I'm not saying that this is impressive, or anything.. but it's adequate. & I think that our population more then qualifies us. You said look to Jacksonville.. for a city that makes do becasue of thier big population.. but Jacksonville has 1.3M, while Virginia Beach/Norfolk has 1.7M?

Now, I'm not saying that there was anything wrong with your comments and it's good to have opposing views. Maybe my comments are just me being a hopeful optimist. But I really think Norfolk and the Greater HR area could support a major league franchise.

I really appreciate your comments on the situation. Maybe it's becasue I'm young and ignorant, but I refuse to believe this. Yeah, the Ads only draw about 5,000 fans.. and sometimes it's in the 4s and 3s.. but the recent Admirals have had a tradition of losing, first of all... Back when the Admirals won some games I can remember going to sold-out hockey games with around 8,000-9,000 that were very exciting. But given this, you can't compare AHL attendance to what would happen with the NHL. Sure, a city that sells out every AHL game would definately be able to support an NHL team.. but just because your city averages 5,000, means nothing for what would happen with an NHL team. Really, only a select few people in the HR area, even KNOW about the Norfolk Admirals.. and only a handful of them care about them. But give us an National Hockey League team and support would increase ten-fold. Just the fact that your city has a team that's stable, and that matters would mean a lot. A team that can compete for the Stanley Cup. A team that you can play with on Playstation's and Xbox's, a team that you can get to know all the players, a team that you can watch on national television, etc.

And don't even get me started on the Tides. The Tides are a joke, really. Everyone loves going to Tides games, and a lot of people know about them.. but really. Everytime Norfolk is doing good.. our best players move up to Baltimore and the team's record plummets. Last season, we were in first place for the majority of the summer, and then our best players went on to the O's and we fell to like fourth place. Things like that make it impossible to follow the Tides, like you could a MLB team. Now I'm not going to sit here and say that Norfolk could continuously fill a 50,000+ ballpark.. but don't count us out. I think anything is possible, and I don't believe in any of that lack of corporate sponsers or lack of population, etc.

When talking about Sports in Norfolk.. you must look at Norfolk's entire metropolitan area. Yes, Norfolk has one lonely fortune 500 HQ, but when you add in Virginia Beach and it's Stihl International HQ.. and Amerigoup HQ. Then you turn to Chesapeake with Dollar Tree HQ.. Then you look to Smithfield's HQ.. the Northrup Grumman, etc. I'm not saying that this is impressive, or anything.. but it's adequate. & I think that our population more then qualifies us. You said look to Jacksonville.. for a city that makes do becasue of thier big population.. but Jacksonville has 1.3M, while Virginia Beach/Norfolk has 1.7M?

Now, I'm not saying that there was anything wrong with your comments and it's good to have opposing views. Maybe my comments are just me being a hopeful optimist. But I really think Norfolk and the Greater HR area could support a major league franchise.

Sometimes when the facts are right in front of you, you have to learn to accept them and take them for what they are worth. I said that the Planning Director of Norfolk said that we could not sustain a major pro team. Our media market is not big enough. You can refuse to believe that population and economic support doesn't have anything to do with the location of a pro team all you want, but you give me the name of one city that doesn't You'll find that the only city that has such a team and fits those qualifications is the City of Green Bay. The Packers are still there for the reasons that the city won't sell them and fans are willing to drive up from Milwaukee to go see them.

Yes Hampton Roads has many businesses located here, but what makes you think that they would even consider sponsoring a team here? Amerigroup's greedy executives wouldn't even give the thought the time of day, and Northrup Grumman wouldn't have any need to sponsor a team.

So let me ask you this varider, how many fans do you think Norfolk could get if we did get an MLB team? The Nationals and Orioles average around 25,000-30,000 fans each game. You may not think minor league attendance isn't indicative at all of major league attendance, but you can bet it is. And don't call my Tides a joke...

You can't just turn a blind eye tom what our metro currently lacks. Just because you live here doesn't mean some team owner is one day gonna decide to move a team here. So many factors are taken into account, and most of it is purely economic. A few corporate sponsors wouldn't be enough to support a major team. Plus, the NHL really isn't even that big of a sport in Virginia or across the country. They have no major network contracts and isn't popular at all outside of Chicago and the northeast. Again, look at the truth and accept it and learn from it.

(oh and the greater Hampton Roads area is the Peninsula by the way)

Sometimes when the facts are right in front of you, you have to learn to accept them and take them for what they are worth. I said that the Planning Director of Norfolk said that we could not sustain a major pro team. Our media market is not big enough. You can refuse to believe that population and economic support doesn't have anything to do with the location of a pro team all you want, but you give me the name of one city that doesn't You'll find that the only city that has such a team and fits those qualifications is the City of Green Bay. The Packers are still there for the reasons that the city won't sell them and fans are willing to drive up from Milwaukee to go see them.

Yes Hampton Roads has many businesses located here, but what makes you think that they would even consider sponsoring a team here? Amerigroup's greedy executives wouldn't even give the thought the time of day, and Northrup Grumman wouldn't have any need to sponsor a team.

So let me ask you this varider, how many fans do you think Norfolk could get if we did get an MLB team? The Nationals and Orioles average around 25,000-30,000 fans each game. You may not think minor league attendance isn't indicative at all of major league attendance, but you can bet it is. And don't call my Tides a joke...

You can't just turn a blind eye tom what our metro currently lacks. Just because you live here doesn't mean some team owner is one day gonna decide to move a team here. So many factors are taken into account, and most of it is purely economic. A few corporate sponsors wouldn't be enough to support a major team. Plus, the NHL really isn't even that big of a sport in Virginia or across the country. They have no major network contracts and isn't popular at all outside of Chicago and the northeast. Again, look at the truth and accept it and learn from it.

(oh and the greater Hampton Roads area is the Peninsula by the way)

:dontknow: Do we seriously need to rehash this same argument every couple of months, if you would like you are welcome to go back a few pages and read this exact same argument that will more than likely give you the exact outcome you are looking for which would prevent having to do this all over again.

Of course Hampton Roads could not support a MLB team or even an NFL team (even Jacksonville has been struggling with that one.) What Hampton Roads can support would be a NHL, NBA, or MLS team. Out of those three leagues, only one of them is currently expanding, while the other two only have the possibility of relocations in the near future. None of this means anything if there is not an actual organization of some sort that is trying to pursue a team because in the end all Virginia and Hampton Roads needs is one billionaire that really wants to own a team in his own state. That tends to have more weight that corporate sponsorships because usually a billionaire is friends with plenty of corporations to make that happen.

The problem for Hampton Roads and Virginia is that I am not aware of such a person that lives in Richmond or Hampton Roads...if they live up in the DC Metro, then they are going to want the teams up there (Washington Redskins/Dan Snyder)

Here in Portland, we are getting an MLS expansion team because of a billionaire's son wants to own a pro team. We still have the Blazers because Paul Allen lives in the northwest and has no desire to have any of his teams move out of the region.

So again, we can go round and round about this same argument, but in the end, none of that really matters if Hampton Roads doesnt have a very wealthy person wanting a pro team for the region, or a current team owner from somewhere else looking to relocate to a market where their team would be more of a first rate team.

And I dont see anything in the past posts that suggested that the Peninsula wasnt apart of Hampton Roads. It is common for people to refer to Hampton Roads as Norfolk/Virginia Beach because one is the historic core of the metro and the other is the most populated. When people refer to the Dallas/Ft Worth metro, they are referring to all of the cities in that metro, not just those two. So I dont think varider was purposely omitting that portion of the metro.

Edited by urbanlife

:dontknow: Do we seriously need to rehash this same argument every couple of months, if you would like you are welcome to go back a few pages and read this exact same argument that will more than likely give you the exact outcome you are looking for which would prevent having to do this all over again.

HA good one

I'd take either one. If we get a team, I'll support it regardless of the league(NHL,NBA,MLS)! The NFL or MLB are to me the dream sports for a metro area. That said, I'd take any team or any league. I know and urbanlife is right 1000% we keep having the same discussion and I feel him on that. I just want what fans of the Green Bay Packers have and the Carolina Panthers have and Raleigh has with there hockey team! If the facts are correct as to what gets a city/metro a pro team then Virginia is way behind the state of North Carolina.

I still think D.C is the main reason we dont have a team it makes it even harder than the economics to get a team in our metro and the state as a whole. Washington D.C for years has sold the Redskins to Virginia as a whole and Virginia has bought it. That would mean alot of Redskin fans having a decision they never had to make. I guess the only thing we can do is wait for the economic development it will take to have our own team to take our son's and daughter's to. Man, I just get chills thinking about going to the game with my kids and the homie's or with my lady!

Going to D.C is an option and takes 3 hours but, I'd rather go to Downtown Norfolk or Va Beach for a pro game. Oh well, I'll wait!!! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

Urbanlife, great point about the great Paul Allen. He has kept the Trailblazers there and thats what it takes. A BIG money person who wants to live in Va Beach or Norfolk or Wiliamsburg who wants a team to keep there eye on close by. We have people with money just not people ready to commit to a pro team locally. The priorities of the local wealthy or rich in the Norfolk metro are FOCUSED on other things, not pro sports. I think that Paul Allen point is the BIGGEST of them ALL. We need a woman/man with that type of $ who wants there team locally.

A god example of losing a team to the issue of money is Seattle. The Supersonics were a great fit for the Northwest and there in Oklahoma City! Never in a million years did I think Ok City would get a team before Norfolk or Richmond. Oh well, its been a million years and they did. Seattle a huge metro(been there ,its wonderful) lost its team due to a new arena! Shame on Seattle, but yeah for OK City!!! Its a dollar and cents game and Mr Paul Allen has done what he needs to keep his team in Portland and I respect him for that. Green Bay is the exception, not the rule. Green Bay has done a great job being a small market city with a NFL team. Milwaukee helps alot but, Green Bay gets kudos for the job that city has done with embracing the Packers unlike any NFL team EVER! To bad this isnt 1920 or 1930 when teams were cheaper to get and Norfolk could have one from the early years of pro football into the modern game of the NFL. Oh well, a dream is just that, A dream. HAHAhahaHA! L.G.N.Mshades.gifcamera.gif

Edited by usermel

While I agree that the NFL and MLB are a pipe dream.. I feel strongly that the area would do great with a NBA or NHL team. The optimal situation would be an NBA team.. Then Norfolk would have baseball, hockey, and basketball. Charlotte supports thier Bobcats, with roughly the same population base as HR. New Orleans supports thier Hornets with over 600,000 persons less than HR. Memphis and the Grizzlies = same situation. Salt Lake/Utah and and the Jazz. Oklahoma City and the Thunder.

So we have four cities that have a much smalller population base then Norfolk, yet support NBA teams.

New Orleans has 1.1M residents. 600K less than Norfolk.

Memphis has 1.2M. 500K less than Norfolk.

Salt Lake City has 1.1M. 600K less than Norfolk.

OK City has 1.3M. 400K less than Norfolk.

Charlotte has 1.8M. 100K more than Norfolk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I know that the "if you build it.. they will come" philosophy isn't the best way to go.. especially when the city has to build a convention center, light rail, a new library, a new courthouse, etc. so spruce up the Scope. The team could play in there for a year or two while the new arena was being built. They'd be sure to sell out the 11,000+ seats. Support would grow... and then they could move to the 18,000 seat arena somewhere downtown, either Harbor Park parking lot or the SPQ. I'm not saying this needs to be looked at right now, but I mean maybe part of the 2020 plan or 2030 plan would be to have an NBA team.

Give it time Varider, one day Norfolk/Va Beach/Peninsula will get a team. You never know but, keep up the positive attitude. One thing you will learn as you age is humans will ALWAYS disagree. The key is to surround oneself with LIKE MINDS and thats how things get done. You cant change a MANS mind but, you can influence the world YOU want to be a part of with YOUR ACTIONS and YOUR thoughts! Im with YOU VaRider, I want a team to!! I believe!! L.G.N.Mshades.gif

Edited by usermel

• 2 weeks later...

You have got to watch this amazing video of our old professional basketball team, the VA Squires..with Julius Erving and George Gervin. I CANT WAIT FOR THE DAY that Norfolk get's a team back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZHmrAhYr7s

Speaking of Scope... The city has been putting several thousand into the place each year over the past 4-5 years. These improvements have included all new seats, sound system, video boards, bathroom renovations... According to the city budget this year will bring replacement of the risers used for the floor seating. (basically the first 5 rows for basketball and hockey).

I really wish they could do something different with the hockey configuration. They should have seats that wrap around the glass on the ends rather than the tacky corporate boxes. Corporate boxes should be up high...

WOW, that footage!!! Man, would be nice if we kept Gervin and Dr.J. If we had the financial stability to keep them and a more stable home town instead of 4 different venues we may have been one of the ABA teams the NBA allowed in. When we lost Dr.J and Gervin due to the need for money because of the financial unstability it was over then even if the ABA continued. VA as state has had horrible luck when it comes to sports from college to the pro's. Like when VA was ranked #1 in football and lost to Ga Tech in 1990 and Georgia Tech went on to win the Championship and be ranked #1. And VA Tech the 2 years they had Vick, lost to Florida State the 1st year and the second Vick got hurt when Tech was a sure shot for a chance to go back to the BCS Championship. And when the VA Cavs had Ralph Sampson and never won the whole thing but, he won player of the year 2 TIMES though the CAVS got to the Final Four.

The VA Squires remind me of what VA was on the verge of. We need a pro team so our kids kids can have a local tradition of sports like Packers fans and Cubs fans etc.! Some families grow up with those traditions. Darn, Norfolk city leaders, get in gear, arent we tired of backing the Redskins, thats D.C's team!!! We need a team thats in state that is named Virginia something or Richmond or Norfolk or Va Beach something!!! L.G.N.Mshades.giffun.gif WOW! Great video!!

Edited by usermel

All it would take is for Norfolk to want it. && I don't want them to be named Virginia. I want it to be the Norfolk ________s or the Virginia Beach ____s.

Unfortunately if the Hampton Roads region does get a professional team, the team owner more than likely would want it to be named Virginia_______. The reason is for marketing to the Richmond Region, Peninsula, etc.