sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

Unfortunately if the Hampton Roads region does get a professional team, the team owner more than likely would want it to be named Virginia_______. The reason is for marketing to the Richmond Region, Peninsula, etc.

That'd be fine, I guess. I just want a darn team. It's NBA playoffs time, and watching these games.. and seeing cities like OKC going bonkers for their team makes me so jealous and envious.

Edited by varider

I would rather the team be named Richmond_______ or Norfolk______ or Va Beach______ but, fellow member calwinston is correct. They would lean towards a name like the Virginia_____ to make it more regionally supported as well as statewide, like the Carolina Panthers. I can say I think of the state for the NFL team when they used that name as opposed to the basketball team being called Charlotte_____ as it was before with the Hornets(now in New Orleans) and now with the Bobcats! I have no HUGE issue with the Virginia_____ or whatever they name the pro team.

Im just tired of the D.D teams mainly the Redskins acting like they truly care for folks in southeast VA when they truly only care for the Northern VA and Maryland residents as far as solid ticket sales and local support. Its another level up there in terms of fan support etc., for the Redskins. I have no personal issue with the Redskins at all just want VA to have its own team. Same with the MBA team the Wizards, they are D.C's and most up there dont think about Norfolk/Va Beach or Richmond in relation to the Redskins!!!I know, I know, here come those who could care less and see the glass half empty saying we cant support a team and how the money isnt there. Funny how when city leaders want something the money appears and financial backers appear as well.

I saw a special on HBO about the Brooklyn Dodgers the other day. I saw how a council woman from L.A. approached the owner of the Dodgers when they wanted a stadium in Brooklyn but, couldnt get it. She approached the Dodgers owner and eventually thats what lead to the Dodgers heading west, her initiative when she became aware of problems in Brooklyn she asked and asked because she felt L.A in the late 1950's was ready for a team.

At this time people, there were no MLB teams west of St. Louis and the Cardinals of course play there. When the Dodgers went West so did the Giants who were the New York Giants in baseball at the time!! We need city leaders such as the mayor and the city council to WANT a team. Throughout my history on erth and well before me politics and those in power always were able to get what they felt would be god for the area. Look at the cost of light rail. Were does the money come from? Not Chesapeake or Portsmouth, it comes from Norfolk!! If we dont get a team soon the sports leagues will soon be maxed out!!! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

What we lack is a strong financial core as far as the local economy but, mainly Norfolk's economy! Maybe that scares away pro sports franchises, I dont know! Norfolk needs to FOCUS on how to become less dependent on the welfare it gets from the government and become more dependent on its own shoulders. We see how they already are trying to send ships to other cities and making cutbacks across the board in the military! To get pro sports I will admit we dont as of now have the major sponsors in place. We have the population to support 2 of the 4 major sports in the USA but, we need a couple more BIG sponsors. We have folks that I think ca afford the luxury suites though. I know some of these people myself.

We just need a stronger economic base here less dependent on a evolving military especially since the economic downturn has changed the spending priorities! I really think we can support a team(2 of the 4 major ones, not all 4 but , 1 for now) but, it will take a few more things to happen in the financial sector to solidify a move to Norfolk or Va Beach!!! Richmond has the sponsors in place and being the state capital is a bonus. Richmond has the financial base more so than Norfolk/Va Beach but, we have the BIGGER population. That said, I would be cool if Richmond had the team. YES, it would be traffic galore but, a 1:30 minute drive to Richmond is nothing for a pro team and tradition and state pride!!! North Caorolina exploded on the map after the Charlotte Hornets. Then got NHL and the NFL in the state of N.C!!! Maybe a Richmond/Norfolk/Va Beach partnership would give more strength for drawing a team?shades.gif

I don't doubt our area or our sponsership. Also, we are most likely on the list of cities to get a team in the next 1000 years before Richmond is... mainly becasue they are 100 miles from DC and have half a million less people than we do. I'm going to stop harping on the subject of pro sports in the metro.. I know I may get annoying.. I'm just adimant about the situation and every time it's playoffs in the major sports, I always think about Norfolk and it sucks not having any team to root for. It was great to pull for our Monarchs in the NCAA tourney.. but that was short-lived. Our Tides are already 6 games out of 1st place. The Ads didn't make the playoffs. We suck, right now. I hope that in the next 10-30 years we will get a professional team. Also, we may be sleeping on VB. I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled somethng out their lefft pocket in the coming years (don't forget the Pembroke Plan, VB Neptunes).

I don't doubt our area or our sponsership. Also, we are most likely on the list of cities to get a team in the next 1000 years before Richmond is... mainly becasue they are 100 miles from DC and have half a million less people than we do. I'm going to stop harping on the subject of pro sports in the metro.. I know I may get annoying.. I'm just adimant about the situation and every time it's playoffs in the major sports, I always think about Norfolk and it sucks not having any team to root for. It was great to pull for our Monarchs in the NCAA tourney.. but that was short-lived. Our Tides are already 6 games out of 1st place. The Ads didn't make the playoffs. We suck, right now. I hope that in the next 10-30 years we will get a professional team. Also, we may be sleeping on VB. I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled somethng out their lefft pocket in the coming years (don't forget the Pembroke Plan, VB Neptunes).

Never think your getting annoying my friend. What brings change about is passionate people like YOU! People who may have 1,000,000 against them and a few with them can accomplish plenty. I actually am with YOU about wanting a team buddy. What's great is hearing different opinions such as yours. Your 18 going on 19 I'm guessing and are far ahead of most at that age in terms of awareness. Use that Varider in your present and future LIFE, YOUR LIFE! Never sy yu may be getting annoying and always stand UP for what YOU FEEEL and Believe sir.

Change comes about when people are strong in there belief. Never apologize or feel the need to explain your views. People will either agree or disagree. Everyone doesnt like Vanilla ice cream. Everyone doesnt LOVE Norfolk like we do on this site(section of Norfolk) but, what matters is WE do. Its people like you that change the world for the better and great leaders tend to at times be misunderstood, thats a GREAT THING Varider.

I dont always agree with you but, most times I actually do but, whats most important is I respect you. Heck Im 36 and have more respect for YOU than I do for MEn/Woman twice your age. WHY? I hear the passion and desire in what YOU think or believe and any WISE person will give respect to another who has true LOVE and PASSION for what it is they are speaking about. Heck, all YOU want is what will make Norfolk #1 and thats great Varider. That said, ALL of us on this site are strong minded and thats what makes this page and the site as a whole a place for folks like us.

Were a bit deeper than those who don't even know the population of Norfolk or Va Beach and other facts we get into. Keep being YOU VaRider and remember as YOU age, YOU cant please everybody but, if you please yourself you'll attract support from people who agree and those are the folks you need and want support from anyway. IN short do you!!!! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

Whats the Pembroke Plan, Im not aware of that!! L.G.N.Mshades.gif

Never think your getting annoying my friend. What brings change about is passionate people like YOU! People who may have 1,000,000 against them and a few with them can accomplish plenty. I actually am with YOU about wanting a team buddy. What's great is hearing different opinions such as yours. Your 18 going on 19 I'm guessing and are far ahead of most at that age in terms of awareness. Use that Varider in your present and future LIFE, YOUR LIFE! Never sy yu may be getting annoying and always stand UP for what YOU FEEEL and Believe sir.

Change comes about when people are strong in there belief. Never apologize or feel the need to explain your views. People will either agree or disagree. Everyone doesnt like Vanilla ice cream. Everyone doesnt LOVE Norfolk like we do on this site(section of Norfolk) but, what matters is WE do. Its people like you that change the world for the better and great leaders tend to at times be misunderstood, thats a GREAT THING Varider.

I dont always agree with you but, most times I actually do but, whats most important is I respect you. Heck Im 36 and have more respect for YOU than I do for MEn/Woman twice your age. WHY? I hear the passion and desire in what YOU think or believe and any WISE person will give respect to another who has true LOVE and PASSION for what it is they are speaking about. Heck, all YOU want is what will make Norfolk #1 and thats great Varider. That said, ALL of us on this site are strong minded and thats what makes this page and the site as a whole a place for folks like us.

Were a bit deeper than those who don't even know the population of Norfolk or Va Beach and other facts we get into. Keep being YOU VaRider and remember as YOU age, YOU cant please everybody but, if you please yourself you'll attract support from people who agree and those are the folks you need and want support from anyway. IN short do you!!!! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

Whats the Pembroke Plan, Im not aware of that!! L.G.N.Mshades.gif

Thanks, usermel. (I'm 15, going on 16 by the way). & the Pembroke Plan basically transforms Pembroke into a 165 block metropolis about 4-5X larger than downtown Norfolk, with a NBA arena.

15 going on 16, keep into school and get a degree. Nothing is for sure trust me and Im sure other older adults like me can vouch for that! If you are as advanced as you are at your age the sky is the limit!!! You never get a chance to get younger, you only get older VaRider, get things done while your young and you seem to have the passion it takes to rule the world. L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

Pembroke plan is going to happen or is it in talks for a possible project for Va beach? Sounds very good. If that happens could be good for the area as a whole, especially of course Va Beach!!!! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/01/virginia-beach-leaders-thinking-big-plans-pembroke

City leaders are thinking big – some will say dreaming – as they consider ideas to remake the Pembroke area over the next 50 years.

During a two-day brainstorming session, city officials, developers, architects and a handful of residents imagined the area could look something like this:

Town Center grows to the west, creating a dazzling skyline that hovers over a vibrant shops, office buildings and loft apartments. People walk, bike or hop on the sleek light rail train.

A big grassy park is filled with joggers, frisbee throwers and sports fans walking toward a coliseum to watch the city’s new NBA team. The Virginia Beach Neptunes was a suggestion.

Oh, OK never seen that article before. Maybe Va Beach is becoming more progressive as a city and looking to the future a bit more. I give them credit for the last 5 years they have attempted to be more diverse and those plans if they work out pose a threat to Norfolk for one reason. Most people would lean toward living in a tourist city like the Va Beach that along with that has a downtown district. I hope it works out for Va Beach but, they still have a long way to go to catch up to Norfolk in regards to a financial district! Thanks for the info, very go info!!! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

Oh, OK never seen that article before. Maybe Va Beach is becoming more progressive as a city and looking to the future a bit more. I give them credit for the last 5 years they have attempted to be more diverse and those plans if they work out pose a threat to Norfolk for one reason. Most people would lean toward living in a tourist city like the Va Beach that along with that has a downtown district. I hope it works out for Va Beach but, they still have a long way to go to catch up to Norfolk in regards to a financial district! Thanks for the info, very go info!!! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

All Virginia Beach would need would be another financial and business boom to happen to change that, which should be in the next boom/bust cycle as new innovative companies start to pop up in the coming years and more business begin to look for more eco-friendly business environments to be apart of. (of course that would mean that VB would need to become more eco-friendly first.)

Also, I noticed a chart breaking down all the fortune 500 companies and Hampton Roads had more than a number of other cities that already have a pro team...so that leads me to believe is that Hampton Roads really just needs a few proactive investors that are looking to have a pro team in Virginia or a team owner that isnt happy with their current location and being treated like a third rate team. Those are the main key factors.

Plus as MLS grows and becomes more popular, that might be an easy way for the region to score a team in the mid atlantic area.

All Virginia Beach would need would be another financial and business boom to happen to change that, which should be in the next boom/bust cycle as new innovative companies start to pop up in the coming years and more business begin to look for more eco-friendly business environments to be apart of. (of course that would mean that VB would need to become more eco-friendly first.)

Also, I noticed a chart breaking down all the fortune 500 companies and Hampton Roads had more than a number of other cities that already have a pro team...so that leads me to believe is that Hampton Roads really just needs a few proactive investors that are looking to have a pro team in Virginia or a team owner that isnt happy with their current location and being treated like a third rate team. Those are the main key factors.

Plus as MLS grows and becomes more popular, that might be an easy way for the region to score a team in the mid atlantic area.

Off topic, but since we were talking about fortune 500 companies. I noticed this weekend on my way to greenbrier via 64, Americorp is now a fortune 500 company. There is a huge sign on it that says, Amerigroup, hamptonroads new fortune 500 company..

Off topic, but since we were talking about fortune 500 companies. I noticed this weekend on my way to greenbrier via 64, Americorp is now a fortune 500 company. There is a huge sign on it that says, Amerigroup, hamptonroads new fortune 500 company..

They are our fourth F500. We still are chasing Richmond with six.

Amerigroup Arena anyone?

Well, I guess the negative thinkers who say we cant support a team cant stand on the fact we dont have enough BIG companies anymore. Looks like if we have more fortune 500 companies than other cities/metros the issue is what urbanlife stated. The issue is simply a wealthy man/woman who LOVES the metro and wants a team here that has the support of a major pro league to attain a team. This among other factors im sure but, a start is with a money making wealthy human!!! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

ODU thinking about expanding Foreman Field to 30,000+ seats. I think that there is enough demand.

http://hamptonroads....reman-field#rfq

There's absolutely demand for anything that involves football, especially in this area. This project is actually one of the few projects that shouldn't have a problem getting approved because they could use ticket proceeds to pay for the expansion.

30,000 sounds great to me!! They need more seats as there fan base will increase. They did well selling tickets the 1st year and our area desires more Division I football and ODU offers our metro another team to support and ODU has a HUGE local alumni and fan base!!!!shades.gifshades.gif L.G.N.M

Tillman(Pitcher) wont be in Norfolk long and over 10,000 at the Tides game!!! WOW!!!! They certainly get good ticket sells. Great seeing the Norfolk Tides going strong. May not be a major league team but, they are something to be proud of, not because they win but, because of the affection the fans seem to have for them. Over 10,000 tonight says alot for fan support!!! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

30,000 sounds great to me!! They need more seats as there fan base will increase. They did well selling tickets the 1st year and our area desires more Division I football and ODU offers our metro another team to support and ODU has a HUGE local alumni and fan base!!!!shades.gifshades.gif L.G.N.M

It's a matter of time before ODU goes to 1-A. Whe that happens, 30k isn't enough. If expansion is feasible in increments, fine. Otherwise, I'd say, let's go straight to 40-45k.

Yeah, depending on what type of players they can get in the future,ODU has a bright future. I honestly think they need to start planning for a new football field if they want to compete with the majors. For the CAA what they have now will suffice or 30,000 seats will. What you are saying about 40,000-45,000 seats will be better suited for a whole new facility. I agree with all you said buddy(SKY06) but, they will be better of just building ground up for a stadium that size which will attract new recruits. The facility ODU has now for practice and workouts etc., for the players is awesome so Im sure they wont be building a new stadium as I suggested any time soon, say 30 years as the shortest time period,hahahaha! Would love to see Foreman Field as a circled stadium!! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

It's a matter of time before ODU goes to 1-A. Whe that happens, 30k isn't enough. If expansion is feasible in increments, fine. Otherwise, I'd say, let's go straight to 40-45k.

How would that work out?

&& if ODU went straight for the gold and built a 45,000 seat stadium.. and the demand does not exceed supply.. it wouldn't be good for the program. Nobody wants to watch a game or play in a half-empty stadium.

I noticed the e-mail from Mayor Fraim, who I give a lot of credit for his efforts to lure pro sports (NHL in the mid-90s, NBA in the early-2000s, MLB mid-2000s), but I have to disagree with him on the primary tenant needed. Norfolk is passed over time after time because no major league team is going to settle for the Scope (9,000-11,000 capacity) or Harbor Park (12,000) while waiting two or more years for the appropriate facility. Too much money would be lost over that amount of time.

I understand a facility is expensive, minimum $250 million most likely. The most likely way to get the arena:

-$125 mil from the city (ideally each city puts up something, with the host city putting up the highest percentage, but it would probably be just one city)

-Naming rights...I hate them, but it's the future, a necessary evil. I'd propose about $8.25 mil a year for 15 years, which would be $123.75 mil

-The rest comes from a tax increase or tolls. Honestly, For a long term investment like this, I wouldn't mind, but people don't even want a tax increase for improving the roads, and that's a true necessity. And considering it would only be another $1.5 mil or so needed, I'm not so sure the tax would even be needed. Haven't figured that part out, but if this could be done for about $250M without breaking the bank for taxpayers, I could see it working.

The ball is now in the city's court (no pun intended). I can understand the city not having 1/2 of that, considering the Westin costs $150M, and Granby Tower was somewhere in the ballpark. But it would be the most likely scenario. And it doesn't have to be extravagant like Cowboys or Yankee Stadiums, just needs to be state-of-the-art, and something that won't become dated in 20 years. The Constant Center at ODU is awesome, but small. Something like that, but with 20,000 seats, and with space for conventions and trade shows would be perfect. However, do not tear down Scope...that could still be used for the Admirals and high school basketball championships...

Location? I say the old Norfolk Plaza parking lot, across from MacArthur Center Mall, although there might be concerns about the neighborhood surrounding it.

One last thing...is Arena Football coming back or not? I think that would be something to consider with the proper facility. I don't count that Nighthawks venture from 10 years ago...bad promotion kinda hurt Norfolk on that one.