sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

Good points, esp. considering the residents are against tax increases for much higher priorities (i.e. a third major crossing/tunnel). Fair enough. :)

It's definitely something that would need to be researched, and it wouldn't hurt to a) get input from the residents, and b) let the economy make some more progress. I'd love to see a new Amerigroup Arena (just one example), but I'd like to see some other things in place first, i.e. that third crossing.

• 2 weeks later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/06/stanley-cup-run-they-were-admirals

Byfuglien, a left wing with Chicago, is 1 of 16 former Admirals playing in the Finals.

This is why I like AHL Hockey more than minor league baseball. Its a league with quick progression to the NHL and you see a lot players back and forth between the minors and pros. Over half of the current Blackhawks played in Norfolk 3-5 years ago. Philadelphia's goalie Michael Leighton played in Norfolk from 2001-2005 and defensemen Lucas Krajicek played 15 games here this season before being traded.

As I figured, UFL is checking out NSU and ODU's football stadiums...

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/06/united-football-league-checking-out-nsu-odu-stadiums

Foreman, with last year's renovations and luxury boxes, would be a great selling tool. NSU has a higher capacity (30,000 to about ODU's 19,000+), but I think for the start-up league, ODU's stadium is ideal, esp. with those luxury boxes. I know we have enough minor-league sports, but I think this one could be a better tool to lure a pro team to Norfolk (not NFL of course).

As I figured, UFL is checking out NSU and ODU's football stadiums...

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/06/united-football-league-checking-out-nsu-odu-stadiums

Foreman, with last year's renovations and luxury boxes, would be a great selling tool. NSU has a higher capacity (30,000 to about ODU's 19,000+), but I think for the start-up league, ODU's stadium is ideal, esp. with those luxury boxes. I know we have enough minor-league sports, but I think this one could be a better tool to lure a pro team to Norfolk (not NFL of course).

Can I get a little help, Norfolk State hosted Virginia State in 1997 in the annual Labor Day Classic the attendance was listed at 34,000. A friend of mine told me that this was the largest football game ever played in Hampton Roads. I believe that there was a game with a higher attendance. Please help and give reference. Thank you!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Can I get a little help, Norfolk State hosted Virginia State in 1997 in the annual Labor Day Classic the attendance was listed at 34,000. A friend of mine told me that this was the largest football game ever played in Hampton Roads. I believe that there was a game with a higher attendance. Please help and give reference. Thank you!!!

I could've sworn one of the more recent Labor Day classics had higher attendance (somewhere between 07-09). Not sure though.

However, according to AltDaily's Facebook page, an announcement will be made next week on a new "pro sports" team coming to Norfolk. I'm sure that still means semi-pro, but I'm also willing to bet that it refers to a UFL team.

From the UFL's Facebook status: "Norfolk, Virginia is our conditional 6th team with former Redskins great Doug Williams as the GM and Jim Speros as the

owner."

I believe there will be an official press conference tomorrow.

From the UFL's Facebook status: "Norfolk, Virginia is our conditional 6th team with former Redskins great Doug Williams as the GM and Jim Speros as the

owner."

I believe there will be an official press conference tomorrow.

And here's the article from the UFL's website. This is pretty exciting!

Norfolk, Virginia To Host Sixth Team

This is good news in more ways than initially may come to mind. The UFL is being run by some men/woman who have experience. This isnt to say were a sure bet to be around for 5 or more years if we get a team(they said conditional) but, the chances increases with good leadership! Doug Williams learned plenty under Bruce Allen and during his coaching and other experiences he has had since a Super Bowl winning QB! Its big because the UFL is designed to win overtime. Tickets are $20 on average meaning its affordable to bring the family to see pro football. Lets keep in mind most of the guys who were cut from the NFL could play there but, its about need at times when it comes to who's cut and who stays and theres only so many jobs but, plenty talented football players.

The other reason its a great sign for us to be considered and granted a conditional team is, the UFL had to do many looks at the numbers for our metro. Something told them to put the team here and it deals with potential for success, which equals money. They arent putting teams in cities to fail, they have picked cities that have pro team potential but, have been overlooked or denied pro teams in the past! The UFL refuses to do as the USFL did and go head to head against the great NFL. They will remain an offseason football choice for guys who didnt make the NFL and grow there league overtime. The plan seems to be for them to pick cities of at least 1,000,000 or more people in the metro's with growth potential. Dont think light rail didnt help and the way our downtown has come along and the metro population is close to 1.8 or at least 1.7 million now.

VaRider has asked about this for a while. Its not the NFL or MBA but, heck we get a chance to at least prove that we will support a pro team. Our income locally is a concern because population and economic stance dont always add up. The $20 average per ticket is perfect for Norfolk and why we have a chance. I will go to all the home games I can when in town. If we support this team we will be on our way to getting more teams. It starts with support for the people who want to be here and now its the UFL. Hope we get a few name NFL players to come hear. All the best UFL and thanks for the chance for my city of Norfolk and the metro as a whole!!!! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

Edited by usermel

This is great, but I hated at the same time. It is a failure in the making...

Lets consider the dynamics here. Ok, I see why they would want to put it in Norfolk, however, Va.beach would have been a great option for a couple of reasons. One, they have the land to do it. Two, one more minor league stadium will not hurt va.beach at all, or any other city outside of Norfolk. The idea that this "Pro" team will play at a college stadium is not a great one nor will it motivate people to watch them play. This is very different from the build it and they will come concept as that concept may have had some running room. Its just not likely people will be motivated to do that. It will automatically not be liked or embraced like the NFL would and anyone ever heard of a Major league team playing in college stadiums? Yeah, its a few, but they are also big names, there is a difference and those who disagree know it....

We hear a lot of about how harbor park can be expanded into a major league size staduim, no one has seen the plans, potential, or rending to support this notion. Not saying it isn't true, but it is hard to motivate people that way. What should have happen was it should been built to support a major league team and could support a wide range of events until one day baseball or whatever came to the area. This UFL supports this notion because building a stadium, one of minor league status is not an option for Norfolk.

But i guess we shoudl be thankful for anything...

Welcome to the UFL from a soon to be rival. I have family in Richmond and was kinda hoping they would get the VA team but I honestly figured it would be Norfolk. Congratulations. I'm hoping that the league can really make a go at it as well and that the teams can build decent local fan bases in their respective markets. Looking forward to when Hartford meets Norfolk on the gridiron though! Should be fun!

Lets consider the dynamics here. Ok, I see why they would want to put it in Norfolk, however, Va.beach would have been a great option for a couple of reasons. One, they have the land to do it. Two, one more minor league stadium will not hurt va.beach at all, or any other city outside of Norfolk. The idea that this "Pro" team will play at a college stadium is not a great one nor will it motivate people to watch them play. This is very different from the build it and they will come concept as that concept may have had some running room. Its just not likely people will be motivated to do that. It will automatically not be liked or embraced like the NFL would and anyone ever heard of a Major league team playing in college stadiums? Yeah, its a few, but they are also big names, there is a difference and those who disagree know it....

We hear a lot of about how harbor park can be expanded into a major league size staduim, no one has seen the plans, potential, or rending to support this notion. Not saying it isn't true, but it is hard to motivate people that way. What should have happen was it should been built to support a major league team and could support a wide range of events until one day baseball or whatever came to the area. This UFL supports this notion because building a stadium, one of minor league status is not an option for Norfolk.

But i guess we shoudl be thankful for anything...

I see what you mean, but it would've been the same thing that killed HR's chances at pro sports in the past: lack of a venue or not adequate enough for the time frame given (the team starts in fall '11). The only feasible spot they could play is the Sportsplex, which as a one-sided stadium, would probably have to be expanded just like Harbor Park would, and I'm not so sure that could be done in a year.

Three of the five existing teams play in college stadiums, Las Vegas (UNLV), Hartford (UCONN), and Sacramento (Cal-Sacramento), and the first two pulled in decent attendance. A stadium for this league would've probably run between $50-100M (seating about 30,000), and I just don't see VB residents willing to pony up that money when you have a few nice-sized stadiums already in place, one of which underwent massive renovations for football. They haven't announced where they'll play, but I'll guess that having two mid-sized college stadiums (Foreman and Dick Price over at NSU) were definitely selling points the UFL took into consideration. It helps that both schools have solid fanbases.

This is the one time where HR actually has an adequate venue in place and won't have to put up too much extra money. I think depending on how this team does, this should get the cities weighing new arena options down the line. This is honestly the time for the Seven Cities to finally come together and become a region. Put all the petty squabbling aside and support this team, let it live up to the hype!

This is the bottom line to me and I hope this is read by fellow members and understood. The problem here in our 757 area is attitude and mindset. Each time we have a chance here people find holes in it. You don't hear things like "i'll support it because its a CHANCE to show were worthy of a major sports league team"! You only here why it won't work and how we need it in Va Beach or not in this place or that place. My issue isnt that people shouldnt have opinions at all, there respected but, I'm perplexed. Don't we want a pro team? Isn't this a chance to show Norfolk and the metro will support a pro team? Norfolk is the center of the metro financially. It has the best downtown as of now and the most visually recognizable skyline of all the cities in terms of the waterfront and Portsmouth downtown across the river. This is great going into commercials and displays a visual of a city alot have never heard of nor seen.

When WE as an area start seeing the glass either half full or full then we will get a pro team. When smaller metros like Oklahoma City and other get pro sports its a sign its US, not the major sports leagues. The UFL is a bridge to opportunity. These guys/gals mostly come from the NFL or other large companies/businesses etc.! We have a chance to show the nation Norfolk is top of the line. If we get a team and sell out all 4 or more games at home the NFL and NBA/MLB/NHL will hear about it. thats how we should think, TOGETHER! Our areas issues always stem from negative attitudes fighting positive ones. I WILL SUPPORT THIS TEAM. WE WILL GET A MAJOR SPORTS FRANCHISE ONE DAY. We need to be grateful the UFL wanted a team here and understand there are cities that wanted the UFL and we are 1 of the 14 cities/metros they are putting teams over time. If the league works out for 5 or more years and our attendance is top level compared to the other teams, thats how we prove our worth and we can use it as a bridge to the major sports teams. BE POSITIVE!!! WE aren't Boston or Charlotte. We have to accept we aren't were we want to be but, work with our fellow citizens to make the area what we want it to be in the future.

Sometimes opportunity doesnt come how we want it, it comes how it is. THIS IS OUR CHANCE, LETS GO!!! Stop the complaining, we have a chance. This isnt Tampa Florida or New Orleans but, to one day be mentioned like Oklahoma City is now with the Thunder, we have to crawl before we walk. THANK YOU UFL FOR GIVING NORFOLK and THE METRO A CHANCE!!!! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gifthumbsup.gifrolleyes.gif

Less than 12 hours after Norfolk became the newest home of the United Football League the mermaid city is now also home to a new professional lacrosse league.

The Arena Lacrosse League says it will begin play next February and wants one of its teams in Norfolk and another one in Hampton.

http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-nf-lacrosse,0,3990544.story

But i guess we should be thankful for anything...

Obviously for the immediate future it makes sense to have this happen at Foreman Field to begin with. If this does look like it has some actual staying power, it would be a smart move for Virginia Beach to offer up the possibility of moving the team to a new stadium in Pembroke that would then give the city a real chance to go after a MLS expansion team some time down the road when the league decides to expand again.

Looking at all the different pro leagues out there, this is the one that I think the region has a real shot at and could surprisingly support. As I have pointed out before, I dont see NBA or NHL having any more expansions. Personally I think both leagues might be better off cutting a few teams, especially the NBA which is currently hemorrhaging money right now like it is going out of style. The format that the MLS is running on for being a smaller league is giving it a much more stable ground to work with and grow off of.

I am sure there are plenty of people in here that would be willing to scoff at this idea, but I think there is some real potential in this for the region, especially seeing that there are more and more younger generations in this country that are being raised on soccer when they are kids over other sports. When I was a kid it was all about playing basketball or football, and pony league baseball was becoming less of a focus for kids. When my sister was a kid there seemed to be a shift to basketball and soccer for kids. As those kids get older they have begun taking more of an interest within soccer because of this relation with soccer from when they were a kid, which is often times how we become specific sports fans of certain sports.

I seriously think most of you would be all for having a MLS team if you were able to experience the energy the fans at the Portland Timbers have at the games and how intense the games can be. It would be hard pressed to find anyone who wouldnt want that kind of fan support for their own team, which I am so excited that the Timbers are going pro in 2011...though the down side is that it will be happening when I might be looking to move from the city for grad school, go figure how these things work sometimes.

Portland Timbers MLS 2011

I could see a stadium like this being built in VaBeach's downtown.

Ottawa_Soccer_Stadium.jpg

pic taken from Wikipedia.

As for Harbor Park, there really wasnt much done on the proposal because it obviously never got to the point to needing specific documents for expanding the park, but there was renderings on it.

Harbor Park in its current state (image from Wikipedia)

800px-Harbor_park.jpg

The proposed expansion (biz of baseball site image)

NorfolkBallpark.jpg

Basically it looks like the proposal was to build an upper deck above the current stadium seating which would of been cantilevered out over the seats and would of expanded the footprint of the ballpark. It also looks like there would of been an expansion of seating in the outfield as well. So as you can see, it would of been possible to expand the stadium, I just dont think the region would of been able to really support a MLB team that many games year in and year out.

This is the bottom line to me and I hope this is read by fellow members and understood. The problem here in our 757 area is attitude and mindset. Each time we have a chance here people find holes in it. You don't hear things like "i'll support it because its a CHANCE to show were worthy of a major sports league team"! You only here why it won't work and how we need it in Va Beach or not in this place or that place. My issue isnt that people shouldnt have opinions at all, there respected but, I'm perplexed. Don't we want a pro team? Isn't this a chance to show Norfolk and the metro will support a pro team? Norfolk is the center of the metro financially. It has the best downtown as of now and the most visually recognizable skyline of all the cities in terms of the waterfront and Portsmouth downtown across the river. This is great going into commercials and displays a visual of a city alot have never heard of nor seen.

When WE as an area start seeing the glass either half full or full then we will get a pro team. When smaller metros like Oklahoma City and other get pro sports its a sign its US, not the major sports leagues. The UFL is a bridge to opportunity. These guys/gals mostly come from the NFL or other large companies/businesses etc.! We have a chance to show the nation Norfolk is top of the line. If we get a team and sell out all 4 or more games at home the NFL and NBA/MLB/NHL will hear about it. thats how we should think, TOGETHER! Our areas issues always stem from negative attitudes fighting positive ones. I WILL SUPPORT THIS TEAM. WE WILL GET A MAJOR SPORTS FRANCHISE ONE DAY. We need to be grateful the UFL wanted a team here and understand there are cities that wanted the UFL and we are 1 of the 14 cities/metros they are putting teams over time. If the league works out for 5 or more years and our attendance is top level compared to the other teams, thats how we prove our worth and we can use it as a bridge to the major sports teams. BE POSITIVE!!! WE aren't Boston or Charlotte. We have to accept we aren't were we want to be but, work with our fellow citizens to make the area what we want it to be in the future.

Sometimes opportunity doesnt come how we want it, it comes how it is. THIS IS OUR CHANCE, LETS GO!!! Stop the complaining, we have a chance. This isnt Tampa Florida or New Orleans but, to one day be mentioned like Oklahoma City is now with the Thunder, we have to crawl before we walk. THANK YOU UFL FOR GIVING NORFOLK and THE METRO A CHANCE!!!! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gifthumbsup.gifrolleyes.gif

If you were referring to me or reflecting off my comments, I would have to disagree with you regarding approach to the subject at hand. I think a negative attitude is "Not" supporting it because it "isn't" major league. That's not what I was saying; I more or less was speaking about the business and marketing aspect. Like I've said in the past, I'll support it just because it is here (tides, admirals), just because I want to see it spawn into something big for us as a region. The difference between my thoughts on minor league hockey and baseball vs adding another (technically speaking) minor league sport was venue. At least that is what I was trying to distinguish in my comments. To build another minor league stadium is actually a "bad" idea for Norfolk and "not" so much for the other cities. My other comments were regarding marketing and other people mindsets. It is obvious that the mass population of the area does not think like the members of this boards do, we will support anything just because we want great things for Norfolk, even if it meant nothing more than that. We all said we tried restaurants in the area new, old, or whatever for the sake of going, supporting, and trying it out. Hell, tel for all the crap he talks, he does just that TO HAVE AN OPINION he can speak on. That's the one thing I like about him. My comments mimic that. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not being defensive to your follow up at all, I just didn't want to get what I said mixed up with the intent of my comments.

As you can expect, the local media reported on this yesterday, and for the most part got both sides of the issue; folks who are very excited, as well as folks who oppose it.

However, last night Channel 3 only interviewed folks who are against it, and the interviewer even asked someone if they remember the Nighthawks. The whole tone of the story was more or less "Based on the past, do you think this team is destined for failure?"

I have no problem interviewing people both for and against the team, because it keeps the tone balanced. But to immediately jump to the negative side is defeatist, and makes this area look bad in terms of our fanbase. Not to mention it's somewhat biased (I say this as a member of the media). It's like that story they did on light-rail, and they showed a bunch of footage from other light-rail crashes from other cities (I think it was mainly Houston). HR residents do enough complaining to set us back 25 years. Don't encourage them.

Here's another article from Pilot reporter Bob Molinaro. Usually you only get the negativity from the posters...

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/06/will-ufl-fly-norfolk-i-doubt-it

Edited by BFG

My comments werent aimed at one individual. Its the area of naysayers as a whole. Its not aimed at you nor do I remember what you said fellow memebr. All Im saying is this, Im in a business were people are at the top or in the middle or the bottom. It is what it is. Norfolk has to crawl before it walks. If yu read my whole post I said"I repsect what those others have to say" my issue is this,"WE HAVE NOTHING" we have no pro team, no national name recognition and though this isnt the NFL nor NBA/MLB/NHL, its a start. Its not just what one memebr has said such as you. I have no beef or dislike for people nor there opinions, my issue is the fact people arent more positive.

On WTKR yesterday they made my point for me. They had a story on NEWS 3 WTKR asking if the locals even cared and most said no, mind you they asked a few people but, media matters. WHY would WTKR do a story like that? Is it there right to do so as a media outlet? YES! Will that help the locals think the UFL is good for Norfolk? NO! Will they sway some to think negative possibly? Maybe!

Its not just what one persons saying to me. We act like we are Charlotte,NC or Atlanta and we have been passed over by pro sports because we are the best metro without a team. Thats not the case. The economics and the fact we have a strong military presence is good and bad because most who live hear have teams from there home state. Most people I know arent from here, heck my family is from Brooklyn,NY as my grandfather is a native NEw Yorker as was his family before him. That said, we cant be in a mindset of whats wrong we must see this as a chance to get what we ultimately want. I started my business with this mindset. Pay me $1 when we start, and I'll work till Im worth $1,000 and then $5,000 etc.,etc.,!

I have no issue with you brikkman, and I think you are a bright intelligent person s far as I can tell from your post as do I think this about most the members on urbanplanet as well. I didnt read names of who said what so my comment wasnt directed at you and I saw other post I thought were not positive. I feel the locals are like a kid in a candy store who's mom says they can have 2 things they want but, the kid(locals) feel they earned the right to 5 pieces of candy. The kid feels if he/she cant get 5 they will act up and destroy the offer for 2 pieces of candy totally. I think we have a inferior way of thinking here and also at times we compare our area and city t places honestly with better attitudes about there growth and what it takes to get to there goals.

The UFL is ran by people with money who want to invest in the area. If we support this UFL opportunity, we may get more than we thought. Your talking a lease for a stadium and tax dollars and more money for eateries and apartment leases etc., by the team and owners etc.! So many things can happen if we see the glass half full or full!

You create your own reality 1st with the mind and the tongue introduces it to the world. Success is a Decision! It starts with seeing a opportunity as just that. Its a chance and nothing more. If we go to the games and sellout the UFL will love Norfolk and the NFL and NBA/NHL will hear about it. You build a home with a foundation and the stronger the better. Doug Williams knows NFL people like Bruce Allen he worked with and so do the others in the UFL. If we impress maybe we wont get an NFL team but, the NBA and MLB/NHL will take notice. This is a chance to show we support sports and our first time since the ABA was here to impress major sports leagues. Again, I have no issue with you brikkman buddy nor any of the other members I feel may not feel as I do. I think WISDOM is seeing we all can be wrong. What we need to make this work despite our differences is positive words and actions that shows the UFL Norfolk and the citizens are on board.

The WTKR story was 1000 times worse than any comment made on urbanplanet buddy. The UFL peole if they see that what will they think. News people are human and who knows why they did that negative story. I understand some dont care but, this area has a chance to be the light for the UFL as Mr. Speros says he thinks it can be. ODU is a different case than the UFL for sure but, it showed it can be done here and folks will buy tickets and sell out the stadium!!! LETS GO NORFOLK!!!shades.gifshades.gif L.G,N.M

Edited by usermel

BFG, saw the link you provided and this is my issue. YES, we have had let downs but when you get knocked down, you get up! We have a defeated mindset locally and you can smell it when you come home from out of town. We think we are Atlanta but, we dont have the mindset it takes to back it. The UFL is a springboard. If Norfolk does the UFL correct, it will pay of. Business persons come here all the time and with ESPN at times doing stories on the UFL we will get mentioned. Heck, sell out the 1st season and ESPN will speak on it and execs watch ESPN. All execs in the major sports look at ESPN and will wonder about that town that sells out games in Norfolk,VA!

Owners want to locate in places were they see money to be made and that starts with game day ticket sells. We sell tickets in Norfolk and the teams wont relocate from Norfolk as the negative Bob Molinaro says they tend to do! Teams tend to leave when the supports not there and when they dont, they cant find a buyer like the Tampa Rays team in the MLB. Great team but, not a loyal fan base. Tampa loves the Tampa Bay Bucs, just not there MLB.

If we go and sell out the 19,000 seat Foreman field we will do the area a favor for the future. IF its Dick Price at Norfolk State if we do 15,000-20,000 that will suffice. I think the link BFG provided proves my point. Molinaro and the media hold weight and there comments spread into the minds of the locals so when we get teams they dont attend. The Tides are a tradition and the new stadium in downtown is a HUGE plus to draw fans who live downtown and in the suburbs because the ball park is great and the team is family. As for the hockey teams success that comes fro a great job by the ownership to make fans loyal and great promotions by the ownership and should be commended.

We can do the same for the UFL here. We have to make our future via the UFL and make big money persons see Norfolk as a place to make money. Again I have no issue with one or two persons o this site my comments were about the whole areas negative thoughts and Molinaro proved my point for me as did WTKR! LETS GO NORFOLK!!! L.G.N.Mshades.gif

I don't consider MLS a major league sport in the same light as the NFL, MLB, NBA, or even NHL (which isn't that major league either, having no major network contracts). Soccer just isn't that big in this country, especially this region. It's incredibly boring to watch (my personal opinion of course) and I, just in general, don't think it's ever going to catch on or be big in the United States. Just because a league has the word "Major" in front of it doesn't make it a high profile sport and something that will draw in large crowds. Y'all ever hear of Major League Lacrosse? It's popular, just not here. It's big in areas where soccer is popular, yet it will never be as big as the NFL, MLB, or NBA.

Maybe it's just me and everyone I know in this area that doesn't like soccer, but I believe it would be a huge bust if it came down here. I know I've brought up this point before in relation to other topics, and I apologize for my repetitiveness, but soccer is more of a European/Latin American/eastern sport and we are not those countries, nor are we trying or want to be like any of those countries. Football is our sport here. If you ask most people in the region, or even the state, they would definitely rather watch football. It's rougher and more intense than soccer (please spare me the running around for 90 minutes bs) and it's in the region's history. I will admit there is a demand for soccer in this country; it's just not here.

I don't consider MLS a major league sport in the same light as the NFL, MLB, NBA, or even NHL (which isn't that major league either, having no major network contracts). Soccer just isn't that big in this country, especially this region. It's incredibly boring to watch (my personal opinion of course) and I, just in general, don't think it's ever going to catch on or be big in the United States. Just because a league has the word "Major" in front of it doesn't make it a high profile sport and something that will draw in large crowds. Y'all ever hear of Major League Lacrosse? It's popular, just not here. It's big in areas where soccer is popular, yet it will never be as big as the NFL, MLB, or NBA.

Maybe it's just me and everyone I know in this area that doesn't like soccer, but I believe it would be a huge bust if it came down here. I know I've brought up this point before in relation to other topics, and I apologize for my repetitiveness, but soccer is more of a European/Latin American/eastern sport and we are not those countries, nor are we trying or want to be like any of those countries. Football is our sport here. If you ask most people in the region, or even the state, they would definitely rather watch football. It's rougher and more intense than soccer (please spare me the running around for 90 minutes bs) and it's in the region's history. I will admit there is a demand for soccer in this country; it's just not here.

I am sorry but I am gonna have to call this a be comment, I know it is just your opinon, but it is just that, one opinion? I consider golf to be a boring sport but I would consider what they do to be on a major league level.

But seriously comments like this mean you have little to no idea what you are even talking about when it comes to soccer, and I don't say this to be mean. I have heard people call baseball boring, I consider basketball to be an uninteresting sport, but both are still major league sports. Saying a comment like this means you have never been to a true soccer game with real fans, which if you ever come to Portland, I will take you to a game that would blow your mind how amazing the game is and how much support the fans give the game and last time I checked, these people were all Americans supporting soccer, so there is a real fan base for it in this country and it is growing.

The term soccer mom is for a reason, kids these days are being raised on soccer over other sports which means that love for soccer is going to stick with them and help create that desire for pro teams. Maybe you should try paying attention when watching a game and you might realize how intense it really is, calling soccer boring is like calling tennis slow paced.

I am sorry but I am gonna have to call this a be comment, I know it is just your opinon, but it is just that, one opinion? I consider golf to be a boring sport but I would consider what they do to be on a major league level.

But seriously comments like this mean you have little to no idea what you are even talking about when it comes to soccer, and I don't say this to be mean. I have heard people call baseball boring, I consider basketball to be an uninteresting sport, but both are still major league sports. Saying a comment like this means you have never been to a true soccer game with real fans, which if you ever come to Portland, I will take you to a game that would blow your mind how amazing the game is and how much support the fans give the game and last time I checked, these people were all Americans supporting soccer, so there is a real fan base for it in this country and it is growing.

The term soccer mom is for a reason, kids these days are being raised on soccer over other sports which means that love for soccer is going to stick with them and help create that desire for pro teams. Maybe you should try paying attention when watching a game and you might realize how intense it really is, calling soccer boring is like calling tennis slow paced.

To be fair, kids have been being raised on soccer for well over 45 years. The term soccer mom is not from this generation but actually from the 70's and 80's. We need something more for soccer to become mainstream in the U.S. Games like against Algeria a few days ago, help to create that excitement, but for the most part soccer has been relegated to secondary status. As far as the UFL vs MLS, this area has been and will continue to be football country. Heck, Hampton and Phoebus games pull 4-6,000 fans when they play (that's high school mind you). Football will do significantly better here than soccer even if it is lower level than professional. We had a semi-professional football team on the peninsula that packed games up at Todd Stadium. However, it succumbed to financial difficulties, but my point being, people will always support football in this area. That's just the way it is.