sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

Hey gents/ladies, I feel no matter what sport we get soccer,football,lacrosse,basketball,baseball etc, we as a area(Hampton Roads) and city(Norfolk) must give ALL OUR SUPPORT. If any of us can afford tickets to a major sports team that comes here, support it! I undertsand most wont like the sport that comes 1st but, if we dont support what we are giving we may end up with nothing at all. Im not a huge soccer guy but, if we attain a MLS team, I'll buy tickets because if we show we can support one of the tougher sports to draw on, we may get the other leagues to take a serious look at us for the MLB or NBA.

My mindset is just support for the bettering of the metro as a whole. I dont care if the UFL is in Hampton,Va Beach or Norfolk and what the name is. I say we start changing our mindsets on a whole. Change starts when people come together for a common goal. We want pro sports, thats the goal. Hockey can work here as well as other sports. I think the mind controls what we think and environment as well. For years we havent had a pro team so people dont take it serious. The UFL is how WE can prove we are a major league city. For me its not about what sport comes or location and so on and so on. Its about trying to make a dollar out of fifteen cents! You have to start from some place. You build a home from ground up and the best homes take time. We are trying to build national recognition for more than the Naval Base and Jamestown/Williamsburg and VA Beach oceanfront.

Lets think together for the bigger prize, the small battles we fight amongst each other are subjective. If you like golf, you'll say its this and if you dont like golf, you'll say its that! Heck, Im not for or against anybodies likes or dislikes, my point is stop fighting for crumbs. Who's right and whose wrong isnt the issue. We have to deal with what is being offered(UFL) not what isnt being offered to us sports wise. MY mindset is this. I'd rather have a good woman that loves me or at least wants me than a super model woman who thinks shes to good for me, the UFL is the woman that at least wants US! They want US, we didnt have to seek the UFL like the past times with other pro sports. Lets be a TRUE metro area for ONCE PLEASE and support what we have. Things dont fail do to lack of opportunity, they fail due to lack of support. If we sell 15,000-20,000 seats a game, we made our success, if we dont we failed ourselves because this is the chance we have, the UFL, not other pro sports leagues. I understand we like what we like but, can WE for once agree, we have a chance to grow! Norfolk nor the state has one pro sports team on any level. The UFL is featured on ESPN due to high profile coaches who coached in the NFL and players like Daunte Culpepper! IT may work but, wont if we dont do our part and act like a major sports town! You can lead a man to the promise land of opportunity but, if he or she cant see the possibilities and there minds arent fertile, it will fail for WISEMAN see promise in chance and UNWISEMEN/WOMAN always see troubles! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gifshades.gif

Edited by usermel

To be fair, kids have been being raised on soccer for well over 45 years. The term soccer mom is not from this generation but actually from the 70's and 80's. We need something more for soccer to become mainstream in the U.S. Games like against Algeria a few days ago, help to create that excitement, but for the most part soccer has been relegated to secondary status. As far as the UFL vs MLS, this area has been and will continue to be football country. Heck, Hampton and Phoebus games pull 4-6,000 fans when they play (that's high school mind you). Football will do significantly better here than soccer even if it is lower level than professional. We had a semi-professional football team on the peninsula that packed games up at Todd Stadium. However, it succumbed to financial difficulties, but my point being, people will always support football in this area. That's just the way it is.

But my point was that just because one feels that it wouldnt be successful in an area, then it must not be considered a pro sport is kind of a load of crap.

Though I would agrue that people there support football, so therefore the only thing that will ever work there is football? I remember when NHL was looking to move there, it seemed like there was alot of support for a sport no one really plays in Hampton Roads. I dont believe that if Hampton Roads was awarded a MLS team that it would be treated as if it was no big deal, I am guessing you would find the same support that you would for something like NHL if it happened, but for it to work there it would have to be taken seriously by giving them a legitimate soccer stadium to play in rather than something that feels like it belongs to a high school or a small college.

Nonetheless, I am living in a very soccer supporting region and it is amazing to see the kind of energy and support that come from the fans over it and I think it would be something that created a good deal of buzz in Hampton Roads as well.

But my point was that just because one feels that it wouldnt be successful in an area, then it must not be considered a pro sport is kind of a load of crap.

Though I would agrue that people there support football, so therefore the only thing that will ever work there is football? I remember when NHL was looking to move there, it seemed like there was alot of support for a sport no one really plays in Hampton Roads. I dont believe that if Hampton Roads was awarded a MLS team that it would be treated as if it was no big deal, I am guessing you would find the same support that you would for something like NHL if it happened, but for it to work there it would have to be taken seriously by giving them a legitimate soccer stadium to play in rather than something that feels like it belongs to a high school or a small college.

Nonetheless, I am living in a very soccer supporting region and it is amazing to see the kind of energy and support that come from the fans over it and I think it would be something that created a good deal of buzz in Hampton Roads as well.

I never said it wasn't a pro sport, I said it wasn't as major league as NFL/MLB/NBA. Yes I think we would all be excited if the MLS decided to move a team here, and I think the region would get excited too. I just don't think the franchise would get consistently good attendance, nor would it last long. I mean, I don't know about the rest of you guys living in HR, but most of the people I talk to don't even mention the US beating Algeria, let alone soccer at all. Only a very small portion can name who the last MLS champion was and even fewer can name all of the teams in the MLS (this is also the case with the UFL).

Okay I'm just rambling now, but my point is that soccer probably won't ever be big or popular this area.

MLS is awesome and I would wholeheartedly support a local team. But maybe too close to DC (DC United) to get a team.

My fear about the UFL is when/if it fails, that will be another failed sport in the area, which doesn't look good to the major leagues when considering expansion or relocation. Also, would it "steal the thunder" of ODU football? ODU has a good think going and nothing needs to kill the momentum.

I never said it wasn't a pro sport, I said it wasn't as major league as NFL/MLB/NBA. Yes I think we would all be excited if the MLS decided to move a team here, and I think the region would get excited too. I just don't think the franchise would get consistently good attendance, nor would it last long. I mean, I don't know about the rest of you guys living in HR, but most of the people I talk to don't even mention the US beating Algeria, let alone soccer at all. Only a very small portion can name who the last MLS champion was and even fewer can name all of the teams in the MLS (this is also the case with the UFL).

Okay I'm just rambling now, but my point is that soccer probably won't ever be big or popular this area.

Well that is the risk any region takes with any major league team. There are more than plenty of teams that are suffering from low attendance in each of the major leagues. Major league sports and pro sports in general are based off of a minor group of fans overall. I have plenty of friends that are not sports fans and couldn't name a single team. Personally I can't name all the teams in the NBA or NHL, nor could I name who won the past year's championship without having to look it up. Also I couldn't name most of the players in any league beyond the few teams I pay attention to.

But in the end, any major league team that the city tries to take on will be a risk regardless of what type of sport people like. And I have also said this a number of times is that currently MLS is the only league that is in position to expand over the next ten years, any other league the region would only be able to acquire a team through relocation. And even then, it would be tough to take a team from another city unless they were really getting no attention from that city.

I should add, that I dont mean that I am trying to attack anyone over their personal opinions of sports, I just get annoyed when I keep hearing the same thing over and over about a type of sport when the reality is that I wasnt much of a soccer fan four years ago, but I am one now because of the energy that comes with it, the action of the sport itself, and the fact that my city is getting an MLS team. This support is coming from someone who has been a traditional baseball and football fan, so if I can find some love for MLS and NHL, then I am guessing I am not the only one who could be converted into fans of such leagues.

Edited by urbanlife

I probably want a major, professional sports franchise in Norfolk as much as anybody in the world.. I go to Tides games, Admirals games, ODU football and basketball games, an occasional NSU game.. I'm planning on getting season tickets to our UFL team.. I'll support anything Norfolk..even though I can't name any MLS teams except DC United and the LA Galaxy.. If Norfolk had a MLS team, I'd be there.. even though I don't even like soccer unless it's the USA national team. I know the UFL isn't the NFL and won't be nearly as important or exciting, I still plan on attending every home game.. just becasue it's Norfolk and I want to support my town. Yesterday I took the subway to the Phillies game in Philadelphia , and just seeing how that city comes together to support it's sports teams is amazing.The subway was packed with Phillies fans talking about the previous game and the game of the day's matchup.. sports bring that city together and when they fill up that enormous baseball stadium and all rally around one cause, to see their team win.. it's something amazing. Saying this.. I don't think that we can even correlate the UFL, AAA baseball, or AHL hockey to how our area would react to the major league versions of these leagues. People go to the Tides games because they are relaxing and it's a nice experience for kids, etc. Most of the people could care less about the outcome of the game .. and many times people will root AGAINST Norfolk if we are playing their favorite MLB team's farm team.. for instance a Tides vs. PawSox game.. most of the fans root for the PawSox because theey like Boston. If the Norfolk Tides were a major league franchise.. I think it would be an entirely different story .Our UFL team might draw 10,000+ a couple times.. but you cannot relate what happens at a UFL game to what would happen if Norfolk was the home of an NFL team.

I'm not saying that Norfolk/ Hampton Roads could fully support an NFL, MLB, NBA, or NHL, or even MLS team.. but I do have faith that an NBA or NHL, and maybe even a MLB taem would be very successful in Norfolk Virginia and it would be a great way for bringing the region together. We supported our ABA team, the VA Squires back in the day and if we would have transferred to the NBA, we'd probably still be selling out games. I have faith that an NBA team would do really good, Norfolk just has to build it and they will come. What's the worse case scenario? A team never comes and our Admirals will have a nice arena to play in, Norfolk will be able to draw big name concerts that escape to the Ampiteater and other venues in Virginia.. Norfolk could host big events such as the Final Four and mega conferences.

If Norfolk launched a campaign to drum up support for a major , professional franchise to relocate or expand into the CIty , I think that we'd have a good chance of luring a team. An expanded Harbor Park is not adequate either.. If a a MLB owner came to Paul Fraim right now and said "We're looking at Norfolk to relocate our team to," Fraim would have to tell them that we don't have the money and we aren't ready to build you a new stadium.. Norfolk needs to start a campaign for professional sports and start setting aside money so taht when the time comes we can either build a BRAND new replacement for Harbor Park seating 45,000+ or a replacement for Scope seating 20,000+

I WANT A MAJOR LEAGUE FRANCHISE IN NORFOLK!!

Like you said, the UFL is not going to compare to if we had the Panthers or Jaguars. However, this is the perfect testing ground. We put up good attendance numbers and drum up heavy fan support, the league will take notice. And if this becomes more of an NFL developmental system as many predict, I'm sure the UFL brass will inform the NFL as well, not that I expect Norfolk to house the next NFL team (that's most likely gonna be LA).

Marketing will be key. Good marketing pulls in fans, which pulls in revenue. The Nighthawks af2 team wasn't well marketed, other than saying "Hey our team is at the Scope this Saturday, be there!" We need whoever was behind ODU's football marketing to work on this one and get the region involved, and hit up every one of the seven cities, as well as the outlying counties.

If the community can rally around this team even HALF as strongly as they did for ODU's squad, then football in Norfolk will not be a problem, and will pave the way for major leagues. You gotta crawl before you walk, and this is the perfect crawling opportunity. What's there to say that Jim Speros isn't interested in branching out into other major league sports? He came here because he sees potential. Let's prove him right!

Edited by BFG

Thats the spirit BFG, thats how I see this and what ive been saying since I have commented on this UFL opportunity, key word is opportunity! Norfolk has a chance while cities would love to get this UFL team we are getting we seem to have some who see the glass half empty! I see the glass half full myself! The goal for Mr. Speros is to put his franchise were he see's it can work. This guy has been around football on a pro level for years. Why Norfolk? As BFG and I have stated Mr. Speros see's something here. Doug Williams wouldnt take this job knowing he could get a more steady job if he felt it was doomed. Doug Williams wants a NFL GM job and the UFL for him is what it is for our city and metro. A place were Doug Williams can prove he can GM a team and the UFL is in my opinion the best football league to come about since the USFL which failed only when the USFL(Donald Trump mainly) decided to go up against the great NFL aka The Shield and that killed the USFL. The UFl though they play till November I believe isnt trying to challenge the NFL on any level.

The UFL seems to have a different model for success and one model is going to cities like Las Vegas and Sacramento and now Norfolk that have major sports potential but, havent gotten a chance yet and are hungry. Varider has the idea right as well and like me if we get MLS,MLB or NHL I will go to the games and support because we have nothing now and the UFL or whatever we get is a bridge to what we desire. If the major sport leagues see us ignore the UFL they wont say" Norfolk wants a pro team like the NFL,MLB,NHL,NBA can offer or MLS, not the UFL and thats why they didn't support the team"! They wont say that, they will think that we arent a major sports town. Bottom line is the team will be named Norfolk meaning our team. This will be ours, the Redskins are D.C's, not ours! The Panthers are Charlottes, not ours. We must support what we have and stop focusing on what we dont. This is a way a means. This is how we get a NBA or NHL team or maybe MLB! BFG and Varider get that and heck, I'm with Varider I want a pro team and like Varider until then I will support the UFL which is pro but, not the NFL but, Im happy they see in US what the NFL,NHL,MLB,NBA dont see! SO WHO SHOULD WE LOVE? THE UFL, thanks UFL for giving my hometown a chance at something to cheer for that isnt a farm team to a pro team(not yet anyway). L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

As for soccer, Im watching the World Cup game now, its great! Im a guy that is from the hood were nobody played soccer. Its actually a cool sport. Point come rarely but when they do its an eruption of excitement! Soccer is like a food thats good but rare to the masses. To those in the know its great but, to those not in the know its just that, unknown! Those in the USA who control our pro soccer teams need to go to the schools first, not just the suburbs but the inner city and ethnic schools. The pro sports in the US are successful because there accessible to all, soccer needs to many people and same goes for baseballs decline in the urban community. Most the minorities in baseball arent from the States anymore! YEs, there are some urban bred players in the states but, not like back in the day of Hank Aaron and Willie Mays and so on and so on!

Sports start at childhood and soccer wasnt a pushed sport and from childhood to high school it is in most cases football,basketball,baseball,wrestling and the rest of the sports afterward! And as adults that holds true. Boxing needs stars and since Tyson we have lacked a larger than life personality. De La Hoya was good and so is Mayweather but, Tyson was the last intriguing guy! Baseball is the pastime and no matter what will have its audience. Soccer needs more grassroots ledership and then years down the line the kids grow up with it like I did the NBA and NFL and MLB and heck even hockey has done a decent job to be valuable even though not a ethnic sport for the most part, they have kept hockey valuable and exciting.

Soccer has potential and it starts at grade school and leads to the pro's! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

Im falling for Soccer big time! I want the Major League Soccer to go big! I hope Virginia beach comes together and gets an MLS team! I would get season tickets!

Soccer really has a change to grab hold of America this decade! Ohh if only we had more luck during the Ghana game! I wanted just one more game to pump up the popularuty!

I watched the USA-Ghana game.. i'm very dissapointed , but oh well.. and you guys won't believe this, I wonder if the MLS will take note?

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/06/hampton-roads-apparently-full-world-cup-fans

Go figure According to ESPN, Hampton Roads is the nation's No. 4 TV market for the World Cup behind Miami, Washington, D.C., and New York. We are a community of avid TV watchers, as evidenced by how well Hampton Roads' ratings for NFL games - and not just when the Redskins are playing - stack up against the rest of the country. But Cup fever? Now that's something different

Soccer needs better athletes and more structured training at grade school level to compete from a playing point of view. Our best players arent top level compared to Europe and South America and in this game Ghana(Africa)! The countries outside of the US and Canada(Hockey is there most popular sport) LOVE soccer and its the top sport for Billions of earth dwellers. The USA is NFL,MLB,NBA,NHL dominated and then Nascar maybe after those four sports. We looked good against Ghana and losing to them is nothing to be sad about. The Ghana team is a great team, not as good as Germany but, a solid soccer team. We lost to a better team. I saw the game and Ghana had better players as does Germany etc.! We have good players maybe 1-5 or 1-6 while these other top countries go deeper with guys capable of taking over games.

Once we start producing soccer players like we do MLB,NBA,NFL and NHL players we will be world power in soccer! America likes to win and soccer has been a thorn in our side world wise that is, we have little to get excited about when it comes to soccer. That said, Im proud of were USa soccer is now, the guys made us look good! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

I had no idea it was that popular in this area. That's pretty encouraging!

Honestly, I went to a Mariners game at the Sportsplex a few years ago. Great facility, unfortunately, the city put it in a pretty crummy location. That would've been a great kickoff (no pun intended) project for Town Center way back when, and the city could've planned an athletic complex around that, along with a new arena. But nowadays, I don't see them setting aside space there for soccer.

That being said, just to flirt with the idea of an MLS expansion, once the economy turns around the city should consider expanding the Sportsplex a bit, and add seating to the opposite side, as well as behind the goals. That's a great facility going to waste. At the very least, try and get a few exhibition matches going on there, the way Norfolk does with Harbor Park and occasionally, the Scope!

Edited by BFG

Most people I know thinks soccer sucks.....I don't see a mls making it here

Most people I know think major league sports suck in general and is a huge waste of money and that the tax payers shouldnt have to spend a dime to help build stadiums for millionaires to play in.

Thanks for the pointless, generalized statement unless you know 1+ million people in the Hampton Roads metro that feel this way.

Most people I know think major league sports suck in general and is a huge waste of money and that the tax payers shouldnt have to spend a dime to help build stadiums for millionaires to play in.

Thanks for the pointless, generalized statement unless you know 1+ million people in the Hampton Roads metro that feel this way.

To be fair the statistics support this theory, as soccer is not popular in the US. A generalization yes, but nonetheless, an accurate generalization.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/06/speros-begins-search-ufl-venue-visits-nsu-sportsplex

Team owner Jim Speros visits Dick Price Stadium, VB Sportsplex, Harbor Park.

The league apparently requires a stadium that holds a minimum of 20,000. That actually cancels out the Sportsplex, Harbor Park, and even Foreman Field, which holds just a hair under 20,000.

Speros also talked with Mayor Sessoms about expanding the Sportsplex. Although I'm not sold on the location (the stadium should've been built somewhere near Pembroke IMO), but an expansion to 20,000 could work. I've never been a fan of one-sided stadiums, and the Sportsplex is a beautiful facility that's going to waste. Again, not a fan of the location, but then again, the Amphitheater doesn't seem to have too many major traffic issues. And it helps that they opened that new shopping center across the street.

I could live with this, but I'm in favor of the most financially feasible option.

I don't know .. I have mixed feelings.

I'll have season tickets no matter if it's at the VB Sportsplex, ODU, NSU, or Booker T .. But the Sportsplex is just.... out there. & I think it'd be cool to be able to ride the LR to the games at NSU.

We'll see what happens.

I agree Varider, the team should be in the city(Norfolk) but, like you if the team plays out Va Beach, I'll make the longer drive to Va Beach to support and hopefully help our metro sow the major sport leagues Norfolks metro is ready for the pro sports. This may be our chance so, Im wiling to do what I can to help. To bad about Foreman Filed though, great filed and complex and just remodeled. Wish they could make an exception with the 20,000 people requirement! Oh well, I guess Dick Price is were the team will play. Speros must think Va Beach and its Sportsplex is a better location to ask about a place well under the requirement. Maybe he wants the team to play in the known city of Va Beach and its less urban vibe. We will see! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

Edited by usermel

• 3 months later...

Well Norfolk now has three professional sports franchises.. The Admirals (AHL), the Tides (AAA Baseball), and the Tritons/Destroyers (UFL)

I don't know about you all, but I'm TIRED of supporting minor league teams.

How long until Norfolk gets a major, professional sports franchise? Will it ever happen? What would be most successful/likely? NHL? NBA? NFL? MLS?

Well Norfolk now has three professional sports franchises.. The Admirals (AHL), the Tides (AAA Baseball), and the Tritons/Destroyers (UFL)

How long until Norfolk gets a major, professional sports franchise? Will it ever happen? What would be most successful/likely? NHL? NBA? NFL? MLS?

We are NOT going through this again...

I think it is going to be Major League Cricket.