sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

Im a Miami Hurricane fan but, much respect and Congrats to UVA and the football squad. UVA football use to be a regular top 25 team in the past but, in recent years has had issues. Today, they beat a solid Miami team and knocked out our star QB in doing so. To my surprise they controlled the Canes all game besides a couple let downs late, they had control of the game. Being a Canes fan I felt UVA would crack eventually when we fell behind and we would blow them out! I was wrong to say the least! I hope this makes UVA a more confident school and they get some more players to compete like VA Tech has in the last decade or more. Also, good game by ODU against Hampton and Congrats to Norfolk State on their win today!

Don't like it that Miami lost today but, the UVA coach Mike London I think is his name has seemed to made the Cavs play tough and aggressive and as a football fan, I respect that. They didnt look like the UVA teams in the past that just would have lost that game. They hung in there and got 1st downs like they KNEW they could do it. Oh well, back to the work for my Canes for next year. No ACC championship after that loss to UVA! LGNMshades.gif

Im a Miami Hurricane fan but, much respect and Congrats to UVA and the football squad. UVA football use to be a regular top 25 team in the past but, in recent years has had issues. Today, they beat a solid Miami team and knocked out our star QB in doing so. To my surprise they controlled the Canes all game besides a couple let downs late, they had control of the game. Being a Canes fan I felt UVA would crack eventually when we fell behind and we would blow them out! I was wrong to say the least! I hope this makes UVA a more confident school and they get some more players to compete like VA Tech has in the last decade or more. Also, good game by ODU against Hampton and Congrats to Norfolk State on their win today!

Don't like it that Miami lost today but, the UVA coach Mike London I think is his name has seemed to made the Cavs play tough and aggressive and as a football fan, I respect that. They didnt look like the UVA teams in the past that just would have lost that game. They hung in there and got 1st downs like they KNEW they could do it. Oh well, back to the work for my Canes for next year. No ACC championship after that loss to UVA! LGNMshades.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the UFL's mailing list, and they sent me this yesterday:

The United Football League will make major announcements in Norfolk, Virginia, at a press conference at the Town Pointe Club on the third floor of the Norfolk World Trade Center on Wednesday, November 10 at 2pm and YOU are invited!

UFL Commissioner Michael Huyghue will welcome the new head coach of the UFL Virginia expansion franchise and unveil the team name and logo. Participants will be available for media interviews following the press conference.

If i didn't have classes at that time, i'd be there.

The Virginia Destroyers will play at the Virginia Beach Sportsplex.

http://www.ufl-football.com/news/virginia-destroyers-united-football-league-kickoff-2011-season-virginia-beach-sportsplex

I like the idea, but they'll have to work hard to expand the Sportsplex before next fall. I really wanted Foreman Field, but from what I heard, ODU didn't want another team there. Sportsplex is actually a nice facility and underused, so it works in that regard.

Does anyone see this team or even this league becoming successful? And if you plan to go to Destroyer games, can you explain why?

The team may have some success considering there isn't a professional team in the state of Virginia. However, I really don't see this league being viable past 5 years. The one thing they are counting on next year is a potential work stoppage in the NFL which would put some NFL players out of work and looking for jobs. So you might see some mid-tier players hop over to the UFL to play. You won't see guys like Peyton Manning or Chris Johnson in the UFL if there's an NFL lockout, but you may see someone that's the QB Chad Henne or a recently drafted player who is trying to prove himself. Back in the 80s the USFL put a little scare in the NFL, but they eventually faded when they weren't financially viable anymore. There will be some excitement upfront, but most people don't consider this league to have any long term viability. The NFL is the poster child for North American sports leagues and don't see that changing.

Edited by dbull75

Does anyone see this team or even this league becoming successful? And if you plan to go to Destroyer games, can you explain why?

Yeah i can see it lasting awhile, as long as the UFL remembers that they aren't trying to be competition for the NFL. IMO, that is the main reason why the USFL, WFL, XFL, and the CFL failed in the US. If they can keep expenses and salaries down, they should find their niche.

I was hoping to ride the Tide to see the team play. The Sportsplex is just too far off the beaten path. That's the main reason why i haven't seen too many Piranhas matches the last few years.

Edited by jeffconn

The way I see it is there's basically the NFL and college football in America. The UFL is operating in purgatory. The state may not have its own professional football team, but it has a lot of college football with most large schools having a D-1 team. Are there enough people in the region that aren't already affiliated with a football team, or in other words, is there enough free money floating around to support a professional team in a league perpetually in limbo? IMO, you would have to really love some football to go see the Destroyers. I don't particularly like pro-football, so maybe I'm overly pessimistic.

How about the coach they hired...? TD Ameritrade board meetings must have been a sight. "Profits, I want you to bring some strong D! IPO and M&A, get your a$$e$ to the endzone. GO! GO! GO!"

Edited by cpeakesqr

I think the UFL will work but, question if it will work here. Our area is full of people not from here and most are from places were there were and are pro teams. The support would have to come from residents of the 757 metro originally from here mostly. I can't see a New Yorker or Philly native going to a UFL game when they have pro teams they support from here via cable/network TV! I want it to work here totally but, I must admit we can be flaky in the 757! Hopefully those not from here can join in with the locals and support. Great points about college sports because its easy to get support from alumni and locals because you grow to love those teams for generations who went to the schools and possibly your kids as well.

I like the UFL's model so far but, they need ESPN or a major network because I didnt know they were on Versus' Network till we were awarded the Norfolk franchise this year. I watched a game the other day and was entertained. They had names I recognized from college and the NFL. That was cool to see to me. Better promotion and a better network could work. We identify sports with certain networks and not Versus' Network. Nothing against Versus' Network at all but, I dont know it for football and basketball nor baseball, the major sports in the USA followed by the NHL and Nascar no particular order being Nascar is far more popular in the states. I hope the UFL works and will do my part!!! LGNMlaugh.gif

I think the UFL will work but, question if it will work here. Our area is full of people not from here and most are from places were there were and are pro teams. The support would have to come from residents of the 757 metro originally from here mostly. I can't see a New Yorker or Philly native going to a UFL game when they have pro teams they support from here via cable/network TV! I want it to work here totally but, I must admit we can be flaky in the 757! Hopefully those not from here can join in with the locals and support. Great points about college sports because its easy to get support from alumni and locals because you grow to love those teams for generations who went to the schools and possibly your kids as well.

I like the UFL's model so far but, they need ESPN or a major network because I didnt know they were on Versus' Network till we were awarded the Norfolk franchise this year. I watched a game the other day and was entertained. They had names I recognized from college and the NFL. That was cool to see to me. Better promotion and a better network could work. We identify sports with certain networks and not Versus' Network. Nothing against Versus' Network at all but, I dont know it for football and basketball nor baseball, the major sports in the USA followed by the NHL and Nascar no particular order being Nascar is far more popular in the states. I hope the UFL works and will do my part!!! LGNMlaugh.gif

I say you are wrong because I know a Philly native that bought season tickets for the destroyers!

• 4 weeks later...

In case anyone cares, our AHL team, the Norfolk Admirals are on a roll. We are only three points from being in first place and we're averaging over 4 goals a game...

but one thing that irritates me is the fact that we finally have a good team again, yet our attendance is near the bottom of the league and we are averaging 3800 fans a game? scope should be rocking!!

Good news. Only thing I dislike about having a farm team to the NHL is, soon as they get very good, they bring players up that helps the NHL affiliate but, harms the fans were the farm team is located(Norfolk)! Im happy for the players, they work hard to make the major leagues and thats cool. Just sad when they leave and we lose there talents. Otherwise, great news about the Admirals VaRider!!!LGNMshades.gif

Good news. Only thing I dislike about having a farm team to the NHL is, soon as they get very good, they bring players up that helps the NHL affiliate but, harms the fans were the farm team is located(Norfolk)! Im happy for the players, they work hard to make the major leagues and thats cool. Just sad when they leave and we lose there talents. Otherwise, great news about the Admirals VaRider!!!LGNMshades.gif

I hate this more than anything. It seems to happen EVERY year, especially with the Tides. Norfolk will be in first place midway through the summer, next thing you know.. our good players are called up to Baltimore.. the Tides hit a slump, and we end the season near the bottom. Exactly why I want a NHL and a MLB team. Boy do I wish we had gotten those Hampton Roads Rhinos.

I agree, Norfolk needs its own team. Funny as it seems the UFL is a way to prove NORFOLK is worthy. What I mean is, if we support the Destroyers and Im hoping we do. We would have the NFL,MLB,NHL etc, look at NORFOLK in a way they hadnt before. We cant control the attendance of the other UFL cities but, we can Norfolk. If we sell out each game 1st two years that would impress alot because its not yet a major sports league. Thats why the cities of the ABA got in the NBA back in the day, fan support matters. Im not what most think from an above comment. Im for the UFL support but, wonder if locals will buy in and those from BIG cites. Have a few folks I know from places that have major teams and they still support them from hear. We have alot of Redskins fans of course and Steelers are everywhere! Your right VaRider, they do the same to the Tides regarding calling them up to the MLB when they do well for the Tides then the team slides downward! That said, lets just hope we get a pro team in the next 7-10 years, all leagues are full with need for teams so, relocation is our only hope!!!shades.gifshades.gif LGNM

Funny this thread gets resurrected...with the NBA taking over the New Orleans Hornets, relocation rumors are surfacing. I think the cities rumored are Louisville (who just built a new arena for the UofL basketball team), Kansas City, and maybe even Seattle, whose team relocated to Oklahoma City b/c they couldn't get a new arena deal.

All that to say that, in light of a still crummy economy, Norfolk needs to consider talking to private investors and/or large companies to consider financing an arena. Maybe implement a hotel/restaurant tax, combined with naming rights (Amerigroup, Dollar Tree, Smithfield although the latter has had a ton of layoffs), and investments. I doubt residents want to be taxed more, and I can't quite blame them in this scenario. But look at it as a situation where you could lure a relocated NBA or NHL team, but also use it for graduations, college tournaments, etc.

I'm sorry, if Oklahoma City can support a team, I think Norfolk can. But it won't happen as long as the Scope exists.

I agree, Norfolk needs its own team. Funny as it seems the UFL is a way to prove NORFOLK is worthy. What I mean is, if we support the Destroyers and Im hoping we do. We would have the NFL,MLB,NHL etc, look at NORFOLK in a way they hadnt before. We cant control the attendance of the other UFL cities but, we can Norfolk. If we sell out each game 1st two years that would impress alot because its not yet a major sports league. Thats why the cities of the ABA got in the NBA back in the day, fan support matters. Im not what most think from an above comment. Im for the UFL support but, wonder if locals will buy in and those from BIG cites. Have a few folks I know from places that have major teams and they still support them from hear. We have alot of Redskins fans of course and Steelers are everywhere! Your right VaRider, they do the same to the Tides regarding calling them up to the MLB when they do well for the Tides then the team slides downward! That said, lets just hope we get a pro team in the next 7-10 years, all leagues are full with need for teams so, relocation is our only hope!!!shades.gifshades.gif LGNM

Techincally, the Destroyers won't even be Norfolk's team.. seeing as they play all the way at the Sportsplex, nowhere near any form of urbanism whatsoever. I am almost certain that the team will do good in attendance and will likely sell out every game, but I don't see how that's going to help us get a pro team. The bottom line is.. minor league franchises are no measure of what we would do with a major, professional team. If you look at what we did with Old Dominion.. you will see that football will be supported in Hampton Roads if the product is good and the facilities are nice. 14 games at Foreman Field, 14 sellouts.

Funny this thread gets resurrected...with the NBA taking over the New Orleans Hornets, relocation rumors are surfacing. I think the cities rumored are Louisville (who just built a new arena for the UofL basketball team), Kansas City, and maybe even Seattle, whose team relocated to Oklahoma City b/c they couldn't get a new arena deal.

All that to say that, in light of a still crummy economy, Norfolk needs to consider talking to private investors and/or large companies to consider financing an arena. Maybe implement a hotel/restaurant tax, combined with naming rights (Amerigroup, Dollar Tree, Smithfield although the latter has had a ton of layoffs), and investments. I doubt residents want to be taxed more, and I can't quite blame them in this scenario. But look at it as a situation where you could lure a relocated NBA or NHL team, but also use it for graduations, college tournaments, etc.

I'm sorry, if Oklahoma City can support a team, I think Norfolk can. But it won't happen as long as the Scope exists.

Exactly. Norfolk can support a NBA team.. there is no doubt in my mind. Scope only holds about 10-11,000 for basketball. It's not adequate. Like I just said, we sellout S.B Ballard Stadium every single Saturday and average attendance is exactly what is needed for an NBA game. If we can get 20,000, 14 times, to watch an Independent FCS football team that played teams like Campbell, Monmouth, and Savannah State.. imagine an NBA team playing people like the Lakers, Celtics, Heat, Spurs, etc. It would be epic. I'm certain that we'd have a season ticket waiting list.. and i know that me and my family would have season tickets.

& as far as the arena goes.. it's neccessary. There's a decent chance.. it's almost certain that within the next decade a NBA or NHL team would relocate to the arena.. and even IF one didn't.. it's not like we couldn't use it for our already existing "professional" ice hockey team.. or major concerts, or major basketball tournaments.. maybe we could get like the ACC tournament or definitely the CAA tournament.. big conventions and like you said graduations.. It would just be a big boost to the city and i just wish we could actually get it done. We can't keep missing all these relocation opportunities. Scope isn't big enough for a region the size of HR. When will the city get this?

The reason why the Admirals have crappy attendance is because of a lack of a rivalry. Sure there is Hershey, but that is nothing like the ECHL days when we played Richmond on a Friday night and Scope was packed. I also think there is no way Norfolk will support an NHL team. There just isn't a large hockey interest here. The NBA? Possibly. The area that Scope is on could easily be torn down and in its place build a 20,000 seat arena. There is room. Scope is just inadequate, only one area to get tickets, and it is a pain. To accommodate parking, turn those flat parking lots across from Scope (across St. Paul's) into a couple of large garages to include pedestrian bridges going over St. Paul's to the new arena. What Norfolk really needs to get this done is major corporate sponsorship. Wells Fargo Arena perhaps? And as far as an NBA team, it would almost have to be a relocation.

The reason why the Admirals have crappy attendance is because of a lack of a rivalry. Sure there is Hershey, but that is nothing like the ECHL days when we played Richmond on a Friday night and Scope was packed. I also think there is no way Norfolk will support an NHL team. There just isn't a large hockey interest here. The NBA? Possibly. The area that Scope is on could easily be torn down and in its place build a 20,000 seat arena. There is room. Scope is just inadequate, only one area to get tickets, and it is a pain. To accommodate parking, turn those flat parking lots across from Scope (across St. Paul's) into a couple of large garages to include pedestrian bridges going over St. Paul's to the new arena. What Norfolk really needs to get this done is major corporate sponsorship. Wells Fargo Arena perhaps? And as far as an NBA team, it would almost have to be a relocation.

Well that thought just scares me, I never want to see the Scope come down. I have said this many times before, I am a huge fan of its architect/engineer and it is only one of a few buildings that he ever built in the States and it would be a serious loss to great architecture to ever tear that arena down. I would be much more interested to see if it would be possible to gut out the inside of the building to dig it deeper into the ground to increase seating that way seeing that the dome for the arena and the bowl inside it for the seating are actually to independent structures.

Techincally, the Destroyers won't even be Norfolk's team.. seeing as they play all the way at the Sportsplex, nowhere near any form of urbanism whatsoever. I am almost certain that the team will do good in attendance and will likely sell out every game, but I don't see how that's going to help us get a pro team. The bottom line is.. minor league franchises are no measure of what we would do with a major, professional team. If you look at what we did with Old Dominion.. you will see that football will be supported in Hampton Roads if the product is good and the facilities are nice. 14 games at Foreman Field, 14 sellouts.

Exactly. Norfolk can support a NBA team.. there is no doubt in my mind. Scope only holds about 10-11,000 for basketball. It's not adequate. Like I just said, we sellout S.B Ballard Stadium every single Saturday and average attendance is exactly what is needed for an NBA game. If we can get 20,000, 14 times, to watch an Independent FCS football team that played teams like Campbell, Monmouth, and Savannah State.. imagine an NBA team playing people like the Lakers, Celtics, Heat, Spurs, etc. It would be epic. I'm certain that we'd have a season ticket waiting list.. and i know that me and my family would have season tickets.

& as far as the arena goes.. it's neccessary. There's a decent chance.. it's almost certain that within the next decade a NBA or NHL team would relocate to the arena.. and even IF one didn't.. it's not like we couldn't use it for our already existing "professional" ice hockey team.. or major concerts, or major basketball tournaments.. maybe we could get like the ACC tournament or definitely the CAA tournament.. big conventions and like you said graduations.. It would just be a big boost to the city and i just wish we could actually get it done. We can't keep missing all these relocation opportunities. Scope isn't big enough for a region the size of HR. When will the city get this?

Not sure if you can use ODU as a benchmark as I personally think there are different considerations at play here. ODU has never had a football team, however, lots of alumni. EVERYONE is excited about that, and I can see why. However, think about this...Hampton and NSU are D1-AA teams, hardly to any sell outs. You will make a case about facilities, however, foreman field is pretty substantial, different waaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than my college stadium. You definitely have an argument with regards to hampton's field. Parking never deters a real fan, so to possibly say that NSU does not have sufficient parking is a valid argument, I just think a real fan would push through that like their current base. I get your point, however, I just believe there are other issues at play regarding ODU's success.

I don't see myself making the trek to deep VA Beach to see these guys. It's just not an area I like to travel to. They are making a mistake playing way out there in my opinion. NSU would have been a good place to play IMO.

I agree, but I'll stilllll make that trip for every VA Destroyers home gameeeeeeee of the season. We've got to be the loudest crowd in the UFL!!

Agreed, however I don't know if that whole lot should be turned into parking decks.. maybe one parking deck and commercial/residential uses surrounding it.. but downtown Norfolk has enough parking and the use of mass transit should be encouraged..

Not sure if you can use ODU as a benchmark as I personally think there are different considerations at play here. ODU has never had a football team, however, lots of alumni. EVERYONE is excited about that, and I can see why. However, think about this...Hampton and NSU are D1-AA teams, hardly to any sell outs. You will make a case about facilities, however, foreman field is pretty substantial, different waaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than my college stadium. You definitely have an argument with regards to hampton's field. Parking never deters a real fan, so to possibly say that NSU does not have sufficient parking is a valid argument, I just think a real fan would push through that like their current base. I get your point, however, I just believe there are other issues at play regarding ODU's success.

Maybe you're right..

But I'd bet all the money I have that you start selling season tickets to Norfolk's new NBA team and see if you don't have over 15,000+ orders.

I agree, but I'll stilllll make that trip for every VA Destroyers home gameeeeeeee of the season. We've got to be the loudest crowd in the UFL!!

Agreed, however I don't know if that whole lot should be turned into parking decks.. maybe one parking deck and commercial/residential uses surrounding it.. but downtown Norfolk has enough parking and the use of mass transit should be encouraged..

Maybe you're right..

But I'd bet all the money I have that you start selling season tickets to Norfolk's new NBA team and see if you don't have over 15,000+ orders.

I think so too, but remember, desire was never the real push, it was really about keeping the numbers up. The NBA has like 80/100+ games right? That is a lot of home games. Point is, can you do those numbers everytime where some tickets would be 100 to 300 bucks? I would be interested to see if we could keep that up. Now baseball, I think that was the more likely upkeep, especially how cheap ball tickets can be. When I went to a braves game, took my whole family (only three of us, lol) while we were on vacation, 18 bucks for three cheap seat tickets that turn out to be one of the better views if you ask me. Now everything in that joker was expensive. Football is a good option as well considering how many home games you have...So I think that was the previous point of past posters. But hell, if we get any of them, i'm there...