sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

The team may have some success considering there isn't a professional team in the state of Virginia. However, I really don't see this league being viable past 5 years. The one thing they are counting on next year is a potential work stoppage in the NFL which would put some NFL players out of work and looking for jobs. So you might see some mid-tier players hop over to the UFL to play. You won't see guys like Peyton Manning or Chris Johnson in the UFL if there's an NFL lockout, but you may see someone that's the QB Chad Henne or a recently drafted player who is trying to prove himself. Back in the 80s the USFL put a little scare in the NFL, but they eventually faded when they weren't financially viable anymore. There will be some excitement upfront, but most people don't consider this league to have any long term viability. The NFL is the poster child for North American sports leagues and don't see that changing.

I would if this forecast has anything to do with their marketing scheme. When you say or think of UFL, you don't think professional sports team. That is the same for AFL and soccer. What that league needs to do is market themselves as a league like the NFL does. That is your real problem with success.

I think so too, but remember, desire was never the real push, it was really about keeping the numbers up. The NBA has like 80/100+ games right? That is a lot of home games. Point is, can you do those numbers everytime where some tickets would be 100 to 300 bucks? I would be interested to see if we could keep that up. Now baseball, I think that was the more likely upkeep, especially how cheap ball tickets can be. When I went to a braves game, took my whole family (only three of us, lol) while we were on vacation, 18 bucks for three cheap seat tickets that turn out to be one of the better views if you ask me. Now everything in that joker was expensive. Football is a good option as well considering how many home games you have...So I think that was the previous point of past posters. But hell, if we get any of them, i'm there...

Norfolk and Hampton Roads has no shot at baseball, that is well beyond their reach...plus the reason why the tickets at the Braves game was so cheap was probably because even Atlanta has a hard time keeping that stadium filled for 82 home games. Heck, I would love to see the MLB here in Portland but even that would be a stretch to make work when Seattle is having a hard time filling their seats.

I would if this forecast has anything to do with their marketing scheme. When you say or think of UFL, you don't think professional sports team. That is the same for AFL and soccer. What that league needs to do is market themselves as a league like the NFL does. That is your real problem with success.

I think of professional sports when I think if the MLS, which has been doing good at attracting a decent size crowd to their games, especially when they are marketed correctly. I am a huge supporter of that league and it has a much more stable financial system than the NBA currently has. Plus a market like Hampton Roads with the right location of a high profile stadium would be key for its success in the region.

Something to keep in mind is the attendance averages for the MLS is strong for being the smallest market for professional sports.

MLS attendance on the rise

by Mike Woitalla, October 26th, 2010 2:19AM

[MLS ATTENDANCE] Average attendance for the 2010 regular season, with Seattle on top for the second straight season, was the highest since 2007 and the third highest in league history.

League newcomer Philadelphia had the fourth highest average with 19,254. Among the 15 returning teams, all but six had an increase from 2009.

Those whose attendance dropped included Toronto FC, which after a fourth straight season of missing the playoffs saw only a 0.5 percent decrease.

The San Jose Earthquakes had a lower average than in 2009, but drew 9,659 in its Buck Shaw Stadium in Santa Clara with a capacity of 10,500. Last season, the Quakes played two games at the Oakland Coliseum against the Los Angeles Galaxy (drawing 15,862 and 17,128) and one at San Francisco’s Candlestick Park that was a doubleheader with Chivas Guadalajara-Barcelona that drew 61,572.

MLS attendance on the rise

The article also has charts that showcase the attendance and the increases of attendances. San Jose has a really low attendance, but as it is stated is due more to the small stadium they currently play in. Dallas is a struggling franchise but I think that has more to do with the fact that there seems to be a number of poor choices made when picking a location for the stadium and the way they have marketed (or lack of marketing) the team.

If marketed correctly with the people of the region and given a stadium in a prime location, such as the location Virginia Beach had picked for a future stadium in the City Center location...Pembroke area...downtown VB...not sure what to call the area yet, but would be a good location. For Norfolk, I am not quite sure where would be a good place for a stadium like this. I would figured a stadium that has 20K-24K seats, with an attendance of 15K-17K, which would be a pretty strong number for a much smaller pro league, but at the same time the NBA and NHL isn't that much higher when it comes to attendance than MLS.

Plus with MLS there is also other Cup Games with the MLS regular season which is created between rival teams to help increase its marketing...for Hampton Roads, there would probably be a Cup Game every year when DC United played the Hampton Roads team which would give either region bragging rights and community support.

Edited by urbanlife

I hate to keep beating a dead horse but..

How come Omaha Nebraska has a fairly new 18,300 seat downtown arena.. and freakin' Norfolk is still sitting on an outdated arena that can only seat 10,000 if people sit on top of each other?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qwest_Center_Omaha <-- Qwest Center Omaha

Keep in mind that per the 2000 census, Omaha's ENTIRE METRO had 767,000 people.. nearly a million less than Norfolk's

Actually Varider, you make a great point. Also, never feel the need to explain why you are saying anything. There are no bad questions sir. As long as your respectful, and you are. Say what you want to and let those who make remarks about who you are do so. I appreciate your enthusiasm and sometimes in LIFE and you'll see this as you age. People don't see how special folks are till they become known. You have what it takes to be special sir, dont explain why you ask these questions, it makes you unique, and special. Your question makes sense to me and Im sure others will scratch there heads to like me and say "WOW, Varider is dead on. This is perplexing to me also"! I think it may be economics bud.

Omaha may have the money to afford the arena and also, the population of cities doesn't always tell us who we are or who other cities are. Wilmington,DE is a great example of this. Maybe over 500,000 people in the metro but, a solid financial center in Delaware. Omaha must have a stronger economic based that we think to afford an arena that size, pretty big.

Omaha I saw in some article has had a surge in there business sector and its supposed to be a hot spot now. We may need a some wealthy millionaires to come in a put up most the $ cause I dont see Norfolk nor Va Beach doing it together nor apart! If the cities combine, maybe then we could get a 18,000 seat arena. Our best bet will be a millionaire or two to come in town and build it with hopes of bringing pro ball or hockey here!shades.gifshades.gifshades.gifshades.gif

How come Omaha Nebraska has a fairly new 18,300 seat downtown arena.. and freakin' Norfolk is still sitting on an outdated arena that can only seat 10,000 if people sit on top of each other?

http://en.wikipedia....st_Center_Omaha <-- Qwest Center Omaha

Keep in mind that per the 2000 census, Omaha's ENTIRE METRO had 767,000 people.. nearly a million less than Norfolk's

That's a nice arena...I like the Sprint Center in Kansas City as well. http://en.wikipedia....i/Sprint_Center

It reminds me of the Scope and Hampton Coliseum. I would love to see a modernized version of the Scope, but with 18,000-20,000 seats and convention center space. If there were a way to keep Scope and a new arena, that would be great, but I doubt it, as it's just not that feasible.

Joe Moglia The Virginia Destroyers coach, served as chairman and CEO of Ameritrade before stepping down in 2008. Ameritrade of course, is in VB.

I'm very curious to see what he has up his sleeve for the Destroyers. I have a feeling (nothing major, just a slight inkling) that he's testing the waters to see how HR would do with a football team. I wouldn't be surprised if he's using this position to see if it could lead to another pro league, not NFL but maybe NBA or NHL, maybe even MLS. Furthermore, should things go well for this team, I wonder if he'd use that as an influence to get a new arena..........sponsored by his former company.

Think about it. I wouldn't mind seeing a concert or game at the Ameritrade Center. ;-)

Edited by BFG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qwest_Center_Omaha <-- Qwest Center Omaha

Well just guessing based on who the tenants are with this arena, it looks like Omaha and two universities worked together to build a facility for all three of them to use. Basically it would be like if NSU, ODU, and Norfolk all got together to build one larger arena for everyone to share rather than each college building two smaller ones. Which obviously Norfolk never choose to take this route...though I am not sure on if it was ever a considered option with the universities and Norfolk, but it really should of been because it would been a better move for the city and both the universities.

That's a nice arena...I like the Sprint Center in Kansas City as well. http://en.wikipedia....i/Sprint_Center

It reminds me of the Scope and Hampton Coliseum. I would love to see a modernized version of the Scope, but with 18,000-20,000 seats and convention center space. If there were a way to keep Scope and a new arena, that would be great, but I doubt it, as it's just not that feasible.

Joe Moglia The Virginia Destroyers coach, served as chairman and CEO of Ameritrade before stepping down in 2008. Ameritrade of course, is in VB.

I'm very curious to see what he has up his sleeve for the Destroyers. I have a feeling (nothing major, just a slight inkling) that he's testing the waters to see how HR would do with a football team. I wouldn't be surprised if he's using this position to see if it could lead to another pro league, not NFL but maybe NBA or NHL, maybe even MLS. Furthermore, should things go well for this team, I wonder if he'd use that as an influence to get a new arena..........sponsored by his former company.

Think about it. I wouldn't mind seeing a concert or game at the Ameritrade Center. ;-)

I actually did some studying on the architect that designed the Scope and his collection of work, and while I can't speak for the cost or the structural integrity of the Scope and the land it sits on, but based on the design of the structure it would technically be possible to preserve the dome and build a deeper bowl within the structure to create a new level of seating. Granted it would be a bit more steep adding a second deck like that, but the bowl of the Scope and the dome of the Scope are two separate structures. But like I said, based off not knowing important technical issues, I would say it is possible to do based on the design of the structure.

But the reality is, a pro team will happen in Hampton Roads when a millionaire, or more realistically, a group of millionaires work together to own a team that would play somewhere in Hampton Roads...which I personally would love to see Hampton Roads get an MLS team because I would love to see them play against the Portland Timbers!!

Once again, hockey will not work above the AHL level. I went to an Admirals game last weekend and the action is boring and the crowd was sparse. Scope does need to be replaced though. It reminds me of the cookie cutter football/baseball stadiums of the 1960's/1970's. The seats are also very small. I'm 5'11'' and around 210 so I should be more comfortable in a seat but my knees were right against the back of the seat and barely fit in the chair.

Once again, hockey will not work above the AHL level. I went to an Admirals game last weekend and the action is boring and the crowd was sparse. Scope does need to be replaced though. It reminds me of the cookie cutter football/baseball stadiums of the 1960's/1970's. The seats are also very small. I'm 5'11'' and around 210 so I should be more comfortable in a seat but my knees were right against the back of the seat and barely fit in the chair.

Maybe the action was boring and the crowd sparse becasue its not the NHL?

& I hate Scope honestly.. it's just too old, I like the feel of the Ted much better.

^ I've been going to Admiral games since 1990ish during their ECHL days. When they played Richmond, Greensboro, Roanoke, etc. the action was great, the crowds were great, and the players seemed to care about Norfolk. The players now don't care because they don't want to be here. They are looking toward Tampa. The reason why the old Admirals accepted Norfolk as their home and was part of the community was because as ECHL players, most of them never made it to the NHL and the ECHL was the highest they would achieve. As for the NHL, the southern expansion Gary Bettman did years ago worked for a while, but the teams down south now draw poorly. The south and hockey do not mix. NHL would never make it in Norfolk. This doesn't mean a new arena shouldn't come to Norfolk. NBA could work but is unlikely. A new arena could be good for college basketball (NCAA tournament stops), major concerts that usually skips us and goes to DC, and other high profile events. Scope is inadequate and outdated and too damn small.

• 3 weeks later...

Wonderful video from Yahoo Sports. At a Norfolk Admirals game an 8yr. old girl was singing the National Anthem when the mic cut-out, crowd at the Scope jumped in to help her finish. There are a lot of communities across the country (they shall remain nameless) wouldn't have reacted so positively. Way to go Norfolk!

:thumbsup::shades:

From Yahoo Sports

Edited by Merrittk92

There is a new club in town, the Norfolk Sharx. Led by Marcie Laumann (who owns the Hampton Roads Piranhas), the team will be officially announced at 1.35 pm Tuesday.

Watch Sharx News Conference Live Norfolk to become I-League franchise

USL News Release

Monday, January 24, 2011

TAMPA, Fla. – Join United Soccer Leagues on Tuesday as the Norfolk Sharx become the third franchise in the USL I-League, joining Rochester and Syracuse.

Live coverage of the press conference can be viewed on USLLive.com beginning at 1:35 p.m. ET. Those scheduled to speak include Sharx CEO and President Marcie Laumann, I-League Senior Director Chris Economides and the Mayor of Norfolk, Paul Fraim.

Indoor soccer is played on a hockey rink with the boards up, and on turf. No idea where the press conference will be held.

Edited by jeffconn

Well, i found out (after the fact unfortunately) that the press conference announcing the SharX was at Nauticus. They are hitting the ground running, as the SharX already have a website and official facebook page with a slick announcement video. Matches will be played at Scope, and the season will run from November to March. I've already subscribed to their email newsletter, being the soccer geek that i am. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvDZR7nnbXw

http://www.norfolksharx.com

http://www.fox43tv.com/dpp/hr_show/live-studio-audience-Norfolk-Sharx-20110124

• 3 weeks later...

The AHL has long had a strong support here in the metro and of course Norfolk. WHY? I have no idea why this southern area loves hockey so much but, we do. Im not surprised but, Im certain the AHL wants to keep a team in Norfolk as long as they can and dreads Norfolk getting a pro team cause those dollars are hard to replace cause getting the support our hockey teams get isn't money in the bag. This area out of all the minor league farm teams we've had always support hockey the most. The UFL can only hope for this type of support and speaking of that, Doug Williams the GM for the VA UFL team left already to go back and coach Grambling State University and Im not surprised folks who went to HBCU's love there schools and are loyal to them especially older gents like Doug who played when in college black QB's didn't get alot of play at major universities like they do today!!!

This is the UFL's VA teams chance to hire a person who wants to be in VA and lead the area in the venture who has state or local ties. Doug was always going to leave, it was a matter of when a better job or in this case, his dream job at Grambling came calling as this is his second time coaching his former college!!! Good luck DOug and even more to the UFL's VA team finding a qualified replacement who wants to be here. Heck, its what makes the hockey team work here, consistency!!! LGNMshades.gifshades.gifshades.gifshades.gif

As much as I'd love an NBA or NHL team, I always think about the impact it would have on the Admirals. I know the market probably won't support two teams, so that would probably leave the NBA if it were to ever happen.

As for UFL, Doug brought Grambling back to being relevant and is a good choice. The thing that annoys me is the team has seen a revolving door with both coaching and the front office. Now for the second time, they're without a GM AND head coach. I was really hoping for Moglia's businessman background to bring a lot to this team and the region, same for Speros...

Yeah, the UFL team hasn't done well as of yet setting a tone with the locals. Losing Doug I can understand, like you said, he coached Grambling before and made them good in the past and is returning to his alma mater, most would just for the love. Losing Doug hurts a bit but, is understood but, the rest of the issues the UFL Virginia team has now are questionable! The UFL can work here but, the stadium is a issue. Weres the coaching and what I saw reported on the news was, Doug Williams never got to hire anyone and had zero power. Maybe he left cause of that as well. We need a better stadium for the UFL team and the place it should be is Foreman field but, won't be. NSU's has the seats but, Foreman has the better field and seats having the luxury seats it has newly done. Hope it works out and the UFL steps in and corrects the issues the Virginia team now faces!!! LGNMshades.gifshades.gif

• 1 month later...

I've said it once (or twice, or a billion times), and I'll say it again. the city of Norfolk needs to invest, or at least begin thinking about, the development of a new state of the art arena in downtown Norfolk. scope is too small, designed poorly (box office in an underground parking deck?), and outdated.