sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

I'm surprised that anyone shows up for a Monday afternoon game between two out-of-state women's college teams, especially since the good seats are part of the all-week package. FWIW, I have seen some fans and teams/cheerleaders hanging out at the mall on Monday.

Both NSU's mens and womens teams lost today...that could hurt the attendance a bit, but I think the out of town schools should still be able to put some butts in the seats and more importantly, contribute to the downtown revenue.

Still, it would've been nice to have the local school in the championship game for attendance purposes. Will be interesting to see how this plays out...

• 3 months later...

Very detailed article from Sunday's Virginian-Pilot about the route ODU took in joining Conference USA. 

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/06/lot-work-not-much-time-odus-big-move

From the article:

Before taking the plunge, ODU officials needed to know if alumni had a taste for big-time football. Selig, Wilder and Mark Benson of the school's athletic foundation made calls on 15 potential donors in late April and early May.

"Not one of them said no," Selig said.

ODU raised $3 million in less than two weeks, each donor contributing an average of $200,000. Broderick called the fundraising "encouraging."

Wow. 15 donors that can toss $200,000 EACH to ODU at the drop of a hat. Now, see if those donors will do something about ODU's rising tuitions costs.

• 2 weeks later...

Drakkar America is at it again. 

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/07/company-proposes-redeveloping-norfolk-waterfront

Not holding my breath, seeing as how they tried to make waves with their own VB arena proposal 2 years ago, then the proposal to replace Waterside last year. Still, it should be fun to watch how this one plays out.....again. 

22,000 seat arena?

IF this pans out, it may warrant it's own thread. These people seem adamant about building here, which is interesting. The fact that they're asking for no city money is also intriguing. That said, I know nothing about them. Are they capable of pulling off such a feat? What's their portfolio look like? Questions, questions....

I Googled the projects on their site...nothing shows up that tells me they've completed a project. I do agree they're adamant about building in this area, and every single time their proposals have sounded intriguing. But I'm sure Norfolk (just like VB) is reluctant to move forward with a firm without any proof of work.

Assuming any of this project is legit, though, it would be nice if it helps jump start the SPQ project.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, rumors are swirling but if everything pans out looks like odu is looking to build 35,000 seat arena with future expansion to 60,000. With season tickets routinely sold out it looks like a no-brainer to me. As an alumni I would love to go to a game. Might have to wait till light rail is extended down there ;) (and if they do extend it, make room for double capacity trains).

http://odubleedblue.com/stadium-expansion-up-to-60k-seats/

ODU’s most recent football commit, Ray Lawry, has been quoted as stating that ODU is planning on building a 35k seat stadium and then expanding it to 60k.

“It was crazy how much money they have and what they are trying to do,” Lawry said. “They’re trying to build a new stadium with 35,000 seats and then expand it to 60,000. They’re trying to get new practice facilities and the football program is on the rise.”

Expanding the stadium is probably the best option, though I'd hate to see it lose the "clamshell" bleacher design. That's what makes Foreman Field so unique. Unlike the Ted, I don't know of too many places they could build a new stadium, unless they were to maybe raze the older homes behind University Village or in Lamberts Point.

Granted, with all the money ODU put into upgrading Foreman, it seems odd to build a new stadium from scratch.

Expanding the stadium is probably the best option, though I'd hate to see it lose the "clamshell" bleacher design. That's what makes Foreman Field so unique. Unlike the Ted, I don't know of too many places they could build a new stadium, unless they were to maybe raze the older homes behind University Village or in Lamberts Point.

Granted, with all the money ODU put into upgrading Foreman, it seems odd to build a new stadium from scratch.

Well, if they expand they also have to expand parking. I'm just not seeing an expansion of that size being feasible in that area. I think they're considering building new out of necessity.

• 9 months later...

Haha I knew that would come up. :P

I read that Magic Johnson might be interested in the team. For HR, I think the same issue remains as it did with the Kings: we still don't have a solid arena built. However, there was an article on Bruce Thompson that mentioned how he's not above the idea of owning a team (I think it was in Inside Business). I'd love to see him and Pharrell work together, and throw their hats* in the ring just for giggles. However, Seattle's still probably #1 on the list.

*No, not the oversized ranger's hat Pharrell has been wearing lately lol

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree. If I'm Bruce Thompson or Ken Young (owner of the Tides and Admirals), I'd seriously consider the possibility of pushing for an MLS team.

Play at Foreman Field for a season or two (perfect-sized MLS venue although the design is different), and look at building downtown (honestly, the old Downtown Plaza/future HRT hub would be a nice location) or expanding the Sportsplex. That was the first soccer specific stadium built in the U.S., and yet, they only built it with one side of bleachers. Weird.

Pipe dreams, I know, but I was talking soccer yesterday with a couple of people, and one guy (who'd just moved back from Cali) was actually surprised that HR has a bit of a soccer fanbase. It's encouraging to see stuff like that, along with the ratings.

Another ratings report: for the U.S.-Portugal game from last weekend, Norfolk was #9, again outranking several MLS cities.

http://www.thewrap.com/heres-sad-proof-middle-america-doesnt-care-about-world-cup-infographic/

I'm curious as to how we did for yesterday's game against Germany, with it having such major implications...

One more ratings report from the U.S. games. Norfolk fell out of the top 10 for the Germany match (26th), but bounced back to tie for 10th in yesterday's game against Belgium (Source). Richmond also did pretty well.

Something of note (IMO), Norfolk outranked several markets with MLS teams, as well as markets scheduled to get a team (i.e. Miami and ATL). Of course, many factors go into the ratings, but consistently solid ratings during this and the 2010 cup should at least get the MLS' attention. Foreman Field or Dick Price Stadium would both serve as adequate venues until another stadium is built. 

For some reason, somewhere in the SPQ would be a nice location for a permanent MLS field. Maybe even move Norfolk's HS games (and playoffs there). However, with Richmond showing support too, I think the idea of merging the two areas to land a team is worth reconsidering too...

One more ratings report from the U.S. games. Norfolk fell out of the top 10 for the Germany match (26th), but bounced back to tie for 10th in yesterday's game against Belgium (Source). Richmond also did pretty well.

Something of note (IMO), Norfolk outranked several markets with MLS teams, as well as markets scheduled to get a team (i.e. Miami and ATL). Of course, many factors go into the ratings, but consistently solid ratings during this and the 2010 cup should at least get the MLS' attention. Foreman Field or Dick Price Stadium would both serve as adequate venues until another stadium is built. 

For some reason, somewhere in the SPQ would be a nice location for a permanent MLS field. Maybe even move Norfolk's HS games (and playoffs there). However, with Richmond showing support too, I think the idea of merging the two areas to land a team is worth reconsidering too...

Local fan support is also a big factor.  I know in Portland the Timbers had a very loyal following that created the Timber Army when they were still just a minor league soccer team.

And that would be the biggest issue. The Mariners had attendance issues at the Sportsplex. Plus, the local soccer teams are on the third or fourth tier, so I doubt Norfolk jumps to MLS before cities with second-tier teams.