sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

Hampton is leaving the MEAC, which could hurt tournament attendance. I think it can still succeed in Norfolk, as long as Norfolk State doesn't leave the conference as well. As long as the tourney has been in Norfolk, NSU usually goes pretty far; they made it to the championship game this past season.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Most of us are probably already aware of this, but Nashville severed ties with the Admirals. I believe this is the first time in team history whether it be AHL or ECHL, that the Admirals have been without an affiliate. That being said, along with horrible attendance because the current owners have no idea how to market hockey, I don't see the Admirals coming back next season.

http://wtkr.com/2017/11/28/norfolk-admirals-nhls-nashville-predators-terminate-affiliation/

• 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Virginia City said:

Well the city we lost the Rhinos NHL expansion team to, Nashville, is getting their third professional sports team. MLS announced their newest franchise today as Nashville SC.  Could have been us. 

I said this years ago, MLS is the way to go for smaller markets, especially markets without any major league teams. The cost to get into the MLS market is low compared to other professional leagues, plus they are looking to expand throughout the US. Plus once getting an MLS team, it isn't hard to also get a Women's Soccer team to share the stadium. I figured VB would be the ones to go after something like this simply because it would be fairly easy for them to have a stadium built for soccer by the town center and incorporate it into that whole urban development. Though Norfolk could have pulled something like this off as well. Granted it isn't too late for Hampton Roads with MLS because they still have more expanding in their future, but it requires at least grassroots effort to energize people there into wanting a MLS team, as well as encouraging locals with a lot of money that they want to own a MLS team.

• Like 1

I don't know if there's a direct correlation, but this area pulls high ratings during the World Cup, usually Top 10. I dunno if ODU's new football stadium could be a proper venue or if someone wants to expand the Sportsplex, but I think those are the best bets. 

Wonder if Bruce Thompson is interested?

2 hours ago, Virginia City said:

This area is always in the top 10 in rating for all sports championships; WC, Super Bowl, World Series, NBA Finals etc.. The ship has sailed for an MLS team IMO but following their expansion very closely both Forman Field and the Sportsplex would not be seen as viable options.

Probably not, but I wonder if collaborating with Norfolk State (yeah, I know... good joke) would be an option on renovating Dick Price. It seats about 30K and is convenient to a light rail stop.

No MLS will only consider you if you control your own revenue by owning your own stadium. For the past 2 season Cincy sells out the 30k Nipper Stadium but UC owns it and its not good enough, they are being forced to build their own stadium or they don't get a spot. So ODU and Norfolk St. would be a no go and they want stadiums close to downtown or an urban core so the Sportsplex would be out too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2017 at 5:39 AM, Virginia City said:

No MLS will only consider you if you control your own revenue by owning your own stadium. For the past 2 season Cincy sells out the 30k Nipper Stadium but UC owns it and its not good enough, they are being forced to build their own stadium or they don't get a spot. So ODU and Norfolk St. would be a no go and they want stadiums close to downtown or an urban core so the Sportsplex would be out too.

That is smart on MLS's part since they want to be taken seriously. If Norfolk or VB got a team, it would have to be a new soccer stadium built in Pembroke or near downtown Norfolk.

• 4 weeks later...

The MEAC tournament will remain at Scope for at least three more years.

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/meac/article_85440672-7d58-5b2d-be2d-63c5b63fa239.html

The article says more than 5,000 people stay in hotels in Norfolk, but it's interesting to me that many people stay all the way down at the Oceanfront. I wonder this could lead to another downtown hotel?

• Like 1

With 2 schools leaving the MEAC next season, one of those being a local school, and no plans for expansion, I think attendance will drop and not grow like it has in previous years starting next year.  As for a new hotel we probably could use another one but I would prefer to tear down and rebuild two that I can't stand; the Wyndham Garden across from the Scope (just ugly) and the Sheraton Waterside (waste of prime waterfront property).

But since this is Sports in Norfolk, how about an XFL team?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Are any of you regular posters ODU guys? What do you think of the C-USA basketball tournament set-up in Frisco, TX? What do you think of C-USA in general? Is it time for C-USA to cease to exist?

I have no attachment to ODU but I think C-USA has hurt ODU more than it has helped.

While there's no denying that C-USA has helped out ODU in terms of football. I'd like to see ODU get out of the the conference in other sports. C-USA is too spread out and has hurt other sports, which don't have as much funding. In my opinion the Colonial leauge was way better for basketball, we would have an easier time getting into the tournament outside of winning the conference and it would bring back more in state rival games.

I'm hoping for a revival of the Big East and for ODU to try and join that conference. It would also make more sense geographically. 

One of those two conferences. Would be a much better fit. 

• Like 1

I’m curious how many ODU fans went to Texas for the tournament. I don’t think they’ve been able to build much of a rivalry with anyone because of distance. The one school that could’ve been a rival-ECU-left the conference.