sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

19 minutes ago, brikkman said:

Never known them to show much but the ring with a mostly blacked out crowd, an announcers box and the locker room. Its just all interesting to me for things of this size why in this area scope isn't in the forefront. I would really like to know if scope's outdated status really had anything to do with it down the stretch. Like, are they even competing to start with?

It could be the parking issue and the amenities there as well....i would rather go to a newer venue than a old decrepit venue even if its bigger and also it might be for the TV recording as well....people are closer to the cage and the better seating arrangement as well

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The "Professional College League" is coming to eight East Coast cities, including Norfolk and Richmond. The Pilot says this will be a summer league offering an alternative to the NCAA. I imagine this is the result of the controversy over whether student athletes should get paid, but this seems pretty similar to the G-League.

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/college/vp-sp-virginia-sports-roundup-20200107-cpvhynck5ngg3m3p52htqehrp4-story.html

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, BFG said:

About 7,100 showed up for UFC Fight Night at The Ted. That's down from the 2017 Fight Night (about 8,400 there), but still a pretty solid showing, given the arena holds 8-9K. I definitely see the UFC returning, hopefully in a larger, state-of-the-art arena. 

https://www.fightsports.tv/ufc-norfolk-attendance-gate-bonuses/

The attendance shortfall is directly related to the card. I know a lot of people, myself included, who didn’t go this time because the card wasn’t as good. Still a decent showing though.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, vdogg said:

The attendance shortfall is directly related to the card. I know a lot of people, myself included, who didn’t go this time because the card wasn’t as good. Still a decent showing though.

While I get not going because of a less than stellar card. Unfortunately a drop in attendance isn't going to encourage them to bring a better one the next time if they come back at all.

2 hours ago, Virginia City said:

While I get not going because of a less than stellar card. Unfortunately a drop in attendance isn't going to encourage them to bring a better one the next time if they come back at all.

So long as they’re making money (which they did) they’ll be back. It’s up to them to make an event worthwhile enough that people want to spend money. As i said before, it was still a decent showing. 

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

So long as they’re making money (which they did) they’ll be back. It’s up to them to make an event worthwhile enough that people want to spend money. As i said before, it was still a decent showing. 

It was a really well run event, despite the ref calling the Cutelaba fight way too early. I don't follow the sport closely but had a great time and will definitely attend if they come back.

Edited by BeagleAccountant
Formatting
  • Like 1

I just did a quick glance on the list of past Fight Nights. Other cities have had fluctuating attendance numbers as well, so I don’t see it hurting Norfolk‘s future chances. The crowd still looked great on TV, and no empty seats is always good. 

• Like 1

This is from an inside source, the turn out WAS lower normal. UFC did admit they knew it was because of the card. The booze sales were pretty high so it made up for most of the lower than normal crowd. My source also said that UFC was very happy. Very good chance they will be coming back. 

• Like 3

The games are happening in Richmond, but the VHSL canceled tomorrow and Saturday's state basketball championships. The teams playing in those games are now 2019-20 "Co-Champions". Locally, that includes Princess Anne and Hampton (girls), and on the boys side, King's Fork, Norview, Green Run, and Woodrow Wilson.

https://www.pilotonline.com/757teamz/basketball/vp-sp-vhsl-basketball-championships-20200312-styfu74igvg4hapdczhxumw2xa-story.html

• 4 months later...

ODU cancels 2020 football season ahead of word from Conference USA. I get what ODU is doing and am sure all college football will be cancelled but why would they do this before the conference makes a decision or statement? This puts their own conference mates in a tough spot IF they actually play. UConn and UMass have cancelled also but they are FBS independent. Is ODU taking from the UConn playbook? Kill the football team for the sake of men's and women's basketball and a move to a more "basketball-centric" conference like the A-10 or CAA?

On 8/12/2020 at 3:29 AM, carolinaboy said:

ODU cancels 2020 football season ahead of word from Conference USA. I get what ODU is doing and am sure all college football will be cancelled but why would they do this before the conference makes a decision or statement? This puts their own conference mates in a tough spot IF they actually play. UConn and UMass have cancelled also but they are FBS independent. Is ODU taking from the UConn playbook? Kill the football team for the sake of men's and women's basketball and a move to a more "basketball-centric" conference like the A-10 or CAA?

That doesn't make any sense. There is no point in going backward especially while they are building a new stadium.

• Like 3

On 8/11/2020 at 2:29 PM, carolinaboy said:

Once the information came out that players could get myocarditis, the potential medical costs went up exponentially. The state rules on testing and limits on stadium capacity at the current moment also mean no real revenue and even more cost. Add in the insurance liability and they’ll lose less money by bypassing the fall than they would if they had played. 

Each state is operating under different guidelines and facing varying challenges. We can’t act as if all of CUSA is trying to accomplish the same thing under the same constraints as ODU.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BeagleAccountant said:

Once the information came out that players could get myocarditis, the potential medical costs went up exponentially. The state rules on testing and limits on stadium capacity at the current moment also mean no real revenue and even more cost. Add in the insurance liability and they’ll lose less money by bypassing the fall than they would if they had played. 

Each state is operating under different guidelines and facing varying challenges. We can’t act as if all of CUSA is trying to accomplish the same thing under the same constraints as ODU.

What? You mean from Covid?  You can get myocarditis from a dental procedure for gosh sakes. I mean, how many freaking different side effects and ancillary disease processes stem from this Covid thing? Myriad!!! Therefore, you could basically point to anything they might be able to contract and use it as an excuse to cancel ALL. They should’ve just canceled this long ago. They knew for over a month this was going to happen, and yet they kept spinning and spinning. Tired of the BS. Just cancel life. 

• 9 months later...

Congratulations to the ODU baseball team. They get a #11 national seed and are the #1 seed in the Columbia (SC) regional. Shame they couldn't host the regional though.

Also congratulations to the Norfolk State baseball team. They earn a bid to the NCAA tournament and play in the Greenville, NC regional hosted by ECU (aaarrrggghhh). Tough draw for the Spartans playing ECU first (#13 national seed), but ECU pitching can be up or down so maybe the Spartans shock them. Obviously I'm a Pirate so hopefully we can outlast the Spartans. Also in that regional is UNC-Charlotte (C-USA mates of ODU) and Maryland.

I think it's important to recognize the city of Norfolk having 2 participants. I don't think any other city can claim the same.

Virginia teams to make the baseball tournament: ODU, Norfolk St, Virginia, Liberty and VCU.

North Carolina teams to make the field: ECU, Charlotte, UNC, NC State, Duke and Campbell.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

Congratulations to the ODU baseball team. They get a #11 national seed and are the #1 seed in the Columbia (SC) regional. Shame they couldn't host the regional though.

Also congratulations to the Norfolk State baseball team. They earn a bid to the NCAA tournament and play in the Greenville, NC regional hosted by ECU (aaarrrggghhh). Tough draw for the Spartans playing ECU first (#13 national seed), but ECU pitching can be up or down so maybe the Spartans shock them. Obviously I'm a Pirate so hopefully we can outlast the Spartans. Also in that regional is UNC-Charlotte (C-USA mates of ODU) and Maryland.

I think it's important to recognize the city of Norfolk having 2 participants. I don't think any other city can claim the same.

Virginia teams to make the baseball tournament: ODU, Norfolk St, Virginia, Liberty and VCU.

North Carolina teams to make the field: ECU, Charlotte, UNC, NC State, Duke and Campbell.

It's a shame they couldn't get the bid in on time to host at Harbor Park, as I'm sure they would have hosted NSU and VCU, making for a fun weekend in Norfolk. However, from what I've been told, missing out on this opportunity is motivating a  lot of donors and will end up being a catalyst to getting the baseball stadium the upgrades it desperately needs.

They've done some good work on the stadium in recent years with rally alley, the indoor hitting center and new scoreboard. Be on the lookout over the next year or so, as the grandstand should become the next target operation for ODAF.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I'm hearing ODU to the American Athletic Conference (AAC) is becoming a real possibility (along with UAB, Charlotte and Georgia State and potentially VCU in olympic sports).

I think it would raise the profile of ODU and Norfolk in general. Make no mistake, it's not ACC level but it is much better than CUSA or the Sun Belt.

I know ODU is currently in CUSA with UAB and Charlotte but the AAC would be great for ODU.

Imagine basketball with Memphis, Temple, Wichita St, SMU, Tulsa, etc. coming to Norfolk.

Football with Navy, Memphis, SMU, ECU, etc. That would be  a huge game Navy coming to ODU.

I think ODU has good enough on-campus facilities except baseball. Is it in the realm of possibility for ODU to play at Harbor Park until a new baseball facility could be built (or the old one renovated)?

ODU has a hefty athletic budget also. Pretty close to some AAC schools.

I think your football stadium could stand to be a little bigger, but may not be that big of a deal. Tulane and Tulsa only have 30,000 seats.

Thoughts?

On 10/14/2021 at 4:38 PM, carolinaboy said:

I'm hearing ODU to the American Athletic Conference (AAC) is becoming a real possibility (along with UAB, Charlotte and Georgia State and potentially VCU in olympic sports).

I think it would raise the profile of ODU and Norfolk in general. Make no mistake, it's not ACC level but it is much better than CUSA or the Sun Belt.

I know ODU is currently in CUSA with UAB and Charlotte but the AAC would be great for ODU.

Imagine basketball with Memphis, Temple, Wichita St, SMU, Tulsa, etc. coming to Norfolk.

Football with Navy, Memphis, SMU, ECU, etc. That would be  a huge game Navy coming to ODU.

I think ODU has good enough on-campus facilities except baseball. Is it in the realm of possibility for ODU to play at Harbor Park until a new baseball facility could be built (or the old one renovated)?

ODU has a hefty athletic budget also. Pretty close to some AAC schools.

I think your football stadium could stand to be a little bigger, but may not be that big of a deal. Tulane and Tulsa only have 30,000 seats.

Thoughts?

Where do Tulane and Tulsa generally end up in the AAC standings?