{advertisement="MMFP"} sports in norfolk - Page 62 - Norfolk - UrbanPlanet.org Jump to content

rusthebuss

sports in norfolk

Recommended Posts

On 12/18/2019 at 10:29 AM, Virginia City said:

I don't know about the tax thing but I remember reading that concerts don't like using the Scope because of the parking situation. I guess it's difficult to get the big trucks in the underground parking lot. I feel like UFC shows might be the same.

I didn't think about the garage, but I remember reading that today's concerts (think Beyonce or Lady Gaga) require more elaborate setups that Scope just can't accommodate due to its size and age. I'll never understand why they built Scope so small and didn't think about the possibility of future expansion, even if it's just a couple thousand seats.

I'll also never understand how they didn't make any major renovations in almost 50 years...a new scoreboard and exterior power wash don't count. Scope has looked outdated since the mid-90s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 12/18/2019 at 3:07 PM, Norva757 said:

Also ODUs arena is more up to date....Scope is so outdated and this will be televised 

Never known them to show much but the ring with a mostly blacked out crowd, an announcers box and the locker room. Its just all interesting to me for things of this size why in this area scope isn't in the forefront. I would really like to know if scope's outdated status really had anything to do with it down the stretch. Like, are they even competing to start with?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, brikkman said:

Never known them to show much but the ring with a mostly blacked out crowd, an announcers box and the locker room. Its just all interesting to me for things of this size why in this area scope isn't in the forefront. I would really like to know if scope's outdated status really had anything to do with it down the stretch. Like, are they even competing to start with?

 

It could be the parking issue and the amenities there as well....i would rather go to a newer venue than a old decrepit venue even if its bigger and also it might be for the TV recording as well....people are closer to the cage and the better seating arrangement as well

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "Professional College League" is coming to eight East Coast cities, including Norfolk and Richmond. The Pilot says this will be a summer league offering an alternative to the NCAA. I imagine this is the result of the controversy over whether student athletes should get paid, but this seems pretty similar to the G-League.

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/college/vp-sp-virginia-sports-roundup-20200107-cpvhynck5ngg3m3p52htqehrp4-story.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 7,100 showed up for UFC Fight Night at The Ted. That's down from the 2017 Fight Night (about 8,400 there), but still a pretty solid showing, given the arena holds 8-9K. I definitely see the UFC returning, hopefully in a larger, state-of-the-art arena. 

https://www.fightsports.tv/ufc-norfolk-attendance-gate-bonuses/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BFG said:

About 7,100 showed up for UFC Fight Night at The Ted. That's down from the 2017 Fight Night (about 8,400 there), but still a pretty solid showing, given the arena holds 8-9K. I definitely see the UFC returning, hopefully in a larger, state-of-the-art arena. 

https://www.fightsports.tv/ufc-norfolk-attendance-gate-bonuses/

The attendance shortfall is directly related to the card. I know a lot of people, myself included, who didn’t go this time because the card wasn’t as good. Still a decent showing though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, vdogg said:

The attendance shortfall is directly related to the card. I know a lot of people, myself included, who didn’t go this time because the card wasn’t as good. Still a decent showing though.

 

While I get not going because of a less than stellar card. Unfortunately a drop in attendance isn't going to encourage them to bring a better one the next time if they come back at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Virginia City said:

 

While I get not going because of a less than stellar card. Unfortunately a drop in attendance isn't going to encourage them to bring a better one the next time if they come back at all.

So long as they’re making money (which they did) they’ll be back. It’s up to them to make an event worthwhile enough that people want to spend money. As i said before, it was still a decent showing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

So long as they’re making money (which they did) they’ll be back. It’s up to them to make an event worthwhile enough that people want to spend money. As i said before, it was still a decent showing. 

It was a really well run event, despite the ref calling the Cutelaba fight way too early. I don't follow the sport closely but had a great time and will definitely attend if they come back.

Edited by BeagleAccountant
Formatting
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just did a quick glance on the list of past Fight Nights. Other cities have had fluctuating attendance numbers as well, so I don’t see it hurting Norfolk‘s future chances. The crowd still looked great on TV, and no empty seats is always good. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is from an inside source, the turn out WAS lower normal. UFC did admit they knew it was because of the card. The booze sales were pretty high so it made up for most of the lower than normal crowd. My source also said that UFC was very happy. Very good chance they will be coming back. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and my friends got a suite and it was good times. I hope they do come back.....the last UFC didn't have a good card either.....free fight nights usually don't have good cards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MEAC semi and final rounds will be played with no fans in attendance.

 

Edited by 23320
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The games are happening in Richmond, but the VHSL canceled tomorrow and Saturday's state basketball championships. The teams playing in those games are now 2019-20 "Co-Champions". Locally, that includes Princess Anne and Hampton (girls), and on the boys side, King's Fork, Norview, Green Run, and Woodrow Wilson.

https://www.pilotonline.com/757teamz/basketball/vp-sp-vhsl-basketball-championships-20200312-styfu74igvg4hapdczhxumw2xa-story.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ODU cancels 2020 football season ahead of word from Conference USA. I get what ODU is doing and am sure all college football will be cancelled but why would they do this before the conference makes a decision or statement? This puts their own conference mates in a tough spot IF they actually play. UConn and UMass have cancelled also but they are FBS independent. Is ODU taking from the UConn playbook? Kill the football team for the sake of men's and women's basketball and a move to a more "basketball-centric" conference like the A-10 or CAA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2020 at 3:29 AM, carolinaboy said:

ODU cancels 2020 football season ahead of word from Conference USA. I get what ODU is doing and am sure all college football will be cancelled but why would they do this before the conference makes a decision or statement? This puts their own conference mates in a tough spot IF they actually play. UConn and UMass have cancelled also but they are FBS independent. Is ODU taking from the UConn playbook? Kill the football team for the sake of men's and women's basketball and a move to a more "basketball-centric" conference like the A-10 or CAA?

That doesn't make any sense. There is no point in going backward especially while they are building a new stadium.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2020 at 2:29 PM, carolinaboy said:

ODU cancels 2020 football season ahead of word from Conference USA. I get what ODU is doing and am sure all college football will be cancelled but why would they do this before the conference makes a decision or statement? This puts their own conference mates in a tough spot IF they actually play. UConn and UMass have cancelled also but they are FBS independent. Is ODU taking from the UConn playbook? Kill the football team for the sake of men's and women's basketball and a move to a more "basketball-centric" conference like the A-10 or CAA?

Once the information came out that players could get myocarditis, the potential medical costs went up exponentially. The state rules on testing and limits on stadium capacity at the current moment also mean no real revenue and even more cost. Add in the insurance liability and they’ll lose less money by bypassing the fall than they would if they had played. 

Each state is operating under different guidelines and facing varying challenges. We can’t act as if all of CUSA is trying to accomplish the same thing under the same constraints as ODU.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BeagleAccountant said:

Once the information came out that players could get myocarditis, the potential medical costs went up exponentially. The state rules on testing and limits on stadium capacity at the current moment also mean no real revenue and even more cost. Add in the insurance liability and they’ll lose less money by bypassing the fall than they would if they had played. 

Each state is operating under different guidelines and facing varying challenges. We can’t act as if all of CUSA is trying to accomplish the same thing under the same constraints as ODU.

What? You mean from Covid?  You can get myocarditis from a dental procedure for gosh sakes. I mean, how many freaking different side effects and ancillary disease processes stem from this Covid thing? Myriad!!! Therefore, you could basically point to anything they might be able to contract and use it as an excuse to cancel ALL. They should’ve just canceled this long ago. They knew for over a month this was going to happen, and yet they kept spinning and spinning. Tired of the BS. Just cancel life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's try to steer away from the Covid debate. That tends to not end well on these forums. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.