sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

Apparently the AAC expects to expand to 14 football schools, but nothing from ODU yet.
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1450235477022449665

Sources: The American Athletic Conference is expected examine expansion this week, with six schools expected to send applications. The AAC is expected to receive an application from – FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB this week. 1/2

Edited by BFG
Bad link

13 hours ago, BFG said:

Apparently the AAC expects to expand to 14 football schools, but nothing from ODU yet.
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1450235477022449665

Sources: The American Athletic Conference is expected examine expansion this week, with six schools expected to send applications. The AAC is expected to receive an application from – FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB this week. 1/2

If this is true, as an ECU alum/fan it feels like being in C-USA again (mostly). We were in C-USA with Rice and UAB for a while and with FAU, North Texas and UTSA briefly.

I'd rather ODU be in the AAC with us than FAU, N Texas and UTSA to be honest.

On 10/18/2021 at 10:13 AM, carolinaboy said:

Tulane and ECU are usually lower end in basketball. Tulsa can be good or bad.

In football both Tulane and Tulsa are up and down.

Tulane has been decent the last couple years but they are traditionally awful. Going back to 2014, they have one winning conference record. They have two non-losing conference records since 2003. They has one really good year in 1998. That's about it.

Tulsa is traditionally a little more inconsistent but is generally at the bottom of the AAC.

For what it's worth, the AAC sent a few invitations out in the last day or two. ODU wasn't on the list and shouldn't be. ODU has far more in common frankly with JMU than it does ECU.... though Charlotte did get one of the invites. (Edit: I see now you just posted about this).

Edited by HRVT

Looks like ODU plans to stay in C-USA.

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/vp-sp-odu-c-usa-20211019-f2w77umqp5fhljcl6grsdygjla-story.html

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda bummed ODU's not being considered, but maybe this gives them motivation to regroup on the field. I know the football team has left a lot to be desired since that bowl win, but I felt being in the AAC could've raised their profile. 

Here's a comment from Bob Molinaro, Virginian-Pilot columnist, From September 10, 2021:

Musical chairs: With the Big 12 about to absorb three schools from the American Athletic Conference, there will be more rumblings among excitable ODU fans for the Monarchs to ditch C-USA and join East Carolina, Navy, Temple, South Florida, et al. Getting a little ahead of ourselves, aren’t we? First, ODU football needs to make itself more attractive to a potential suitor.

He has a point.

Does anyone know what the financial penalty would be for ODU to leave C-USA?

11 hours ago, virginia pe said:

Here's a comment from Bob Molinaro, Virginian-Pilot columnist, From September 10, 2021:

Musical chairs: With the Big 12 about to absorb three schools from the American Athletic Conference, there will be more rumblings among excitable ODU fans for the Monarchs to ditch C-USA and join East Carolina, Navy, Temple, South Florida, et al. Getting a little ahead of ourselves, aren’t we? First, ODU football needs to make itself more attractive to a potential suitor.

He has a point.

Does anyone know what the financial penalty would be for ODU to leave C-USA?

The exit fees in the CUSA contract are two years worth of ncaa distributions which would be just under $6mil. However, I saw they're estimating that the current crop of schools leaving will only have to pay $3mil each in exit fees. I'd imagine if ODU wanted to leave, they could get them waived completely now that so many teams are leaving.

8 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

In terms of realignment news/opinion that is an old piece from Mr. Molinaro. The way things now stand is that ECU, Navy, Temple, South Florida are staying in the AAC. ODU is now steering C-USA to add schools which would be regionally appealing to the remaining members  (Marshall, Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky, Florida International, and Louisiana Tech) in terms of shorter travel distances/less expense. Liberty University, and JMU look to be likely invitees if talks go well. There are probably other schools which might be in play.

This should come as no surprise to anyone who has been paying to attention to ODU over the past four years or so. ODU has been very vocal and has pushed for a more regional league. They were proponents of a CUSA/Sun Belt re-organization multiple times and got support from USM, MTSU, WKU and Marshall and the Sun Belt. They couldn't get the votes as they were fought by LaTech and the Texas schools, who all had it pretty good in the current CUSA set-up.

ODU would want no part in a Texas-based AAC. It hasn't helped us now and the revenue increases wont be enough to balance all the negative that comes with playing in a Texas-based league.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BFG said:

I know the football team isn't having the best season, but might ODU want to consider an expansion sooner than later? Your stadium holds 22K and is smaller than many FCS/I-AA venues. It should be at least 25,000, if not 30-35K.

I feel like this may be the main reason ODU has been (apparently) left out of the AAC expansion. They may not have the resources to commit to another expansion after just completing one. I would like ODU in the AAC. There are some 30,000 seat stadiums in the AAC (Tulane, Tulsa) so I would think ODU needs to get to 30,000.

Charlotte only has a 15,000 seat stadium but I know they have a plan in place to expand (I've seen it).

• Like 1

A lot of internet rumblings that ODU is headed to the Sun Belt conference (with Marshall, Southern Mississippi and.........JMU).

That would be a great situation for ODU.

Appalachian State, Louisiana, Louisiana Monroe, Troy, South Alabama, Arkansas State, Texas State, Coastal Carolina, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Marshall, Southern Miss, JMU and ODU.

Some good football, some OK basketball, 2 baseball national titles (Louisiana, Coastal Carolina) in the last few years. A lot of potential in this league. Better travel/rivalry situation for ODU.

The only thing I question is JMU over Liberty. I feel Liberty would be a better add than JMU, and would still give ODU a close rival. Liberty has been to bowl games, the NCAA tournament and the NCAA baseball tournament a bunch of times recently. Not sure which gets the invite.

• Confused 1

I'm surprised but not surprised JMU's making the jump. Surprised because they've been an FCS powerhouse for close to 20 years and won a couple national championships, then went to a couple more title games. Not surprised because when they expanded their stadium, I figured it was only a matter of time before they moved up to FBS. They would make a nice rival, considering ODU and JMU played in the CAA before ODU moved to C-USA.

I'd like to see one or two more VA and NC schools just to have a couple more closer rivals. Marshall could work, being from WV. Liberty as well.

1 hour ago, BFG said:

I'm surprised but not surprised JMU's making the jump. Surprised because they've been an FCS powerhouse for close to 20 years and won a couple national championships, then went to a couple more title games. Not surprised because when they expanded their stadium, I figured it was only a matter of time before they moved up to FBS. They would make a nice rival, considering ODU and JMU played in the CAA before ODU moved to C-USA.

I'd like to see one or two more VA and NC schools just to have a couple more closer rivals. Marshall could work, being from WV. Liberty as well.

There are no more NC schools unless Elon or NC A&T move up. 4 in the ACC, 2 in the American and 1 in the Sun Belt

• Like 1

Old Dominion will leave Conference USA for the Sun Belt Conference, reports say
By DAVID HALL
October 22 at 4:49 PM ET

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/vp-sp-odu-sun-belt-20211022-s2jffjsr4vbendwpgjla5r2x5m-story.html

Excerpt:
“It appears Old Dominion plans to change conferences after all.

ODU is one of four schools expected to be invited to join the Sun Belt Conference as early as next week, multiple media outlets, including CBSSports.com, have reported.

The Monarchs would join Marshall and Southern Miss in leaving Conference USA. FCS football powerhouse James Madison, which competes in the Colonial Athletic Association, would leave that league and begin competing as an FBS program.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BFG said:

Don't know how the Sun Belt does their tournaments but ODU should try to get the basketball tournament (play at ODU's arena and/or the Scope) and the baseball tournament (play at Harbor Park) to come to Norfolk.

It seems the Sun Belt could also sponsor men's soccer again. That would be Coastal Carolina, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Marshall (defending national champion) Old Dominion and James Madison. Also, the Sun Belt could try to lure South Carolina, Kentucky and West Virginia for men's soccer.

6 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

For a multitude of reasons, ODU should’ve stayed in the FCS and the CAA. I’m sure that will be quite the popular opinion here lol. 

Yeah, after JMU moves up we could've been kings! Winning every year over the likes of Monmouth and Towson to a crowd of 5,000 mild fans!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 9:36 PM, mintscraft56 said:

Depends how good we keep up training and player moral. 

In baseball, Tides management has very little to do with the success of the Tides.

The Orioles (the MLB team the Tides a farm club for) essentially run the show (not exactly a good thing).

Edited by HRVT