sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

7 hours ago, HRVT said:

In baseball, Tides management has very little to do with the success of the Tides.

The Orioles (the MLB team the Tides a farm club for) essentially run the show (not exactly a good thing).

As an Orioles fan I see it as amazing though I hope both teams keep up their good sport no matter how they run.

11 hours ago, HRVT said:

I'm an Os fan myself. But management is abysmal right now.

Agreed but MLB ranked their farm system at #1 last August and that's a decent indicator for how good the Tides can be.  Of course the minute they call Rutschman or Rodriguez up to the bigs, that ranking will drop.
https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-farm-system-rankings

I feel like the current front office is actually sending the top prospects through Norfolk now. Adley spent a good chunk of the season last year with the Tides while under Duquette they went straight from Bowie to Baltimore and Norfolk was almost exclusively replacement level players. If that trend continues we should see some great players coming through Norfolk the next few years with the current status of the farm and the Orioles slated for the #1 pick this year, assuming the new CBA doesn’t change that. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What are UP's thoughts on ODU moving sports to the Sun Belt conference and that they are doing it a year early?

My personal thought is the Sun Belt isn't that great. ODU basketball will not be any better off in the Sun Belt than it was in CUSA. The Sun Belt is (usually) a one-bid league also.

The Sun Belt has a few good football programs but a lot of dead weight like CUSA did. Playing Louisiana Monroe, South Alabama, Troy, Texas St isn't really any better than Middle Tenn, Rice, FIU, etc.

The main positive for ODU will be smaller footprint, less travel (time and cost), an in-state rival (JMU), close games for fans to travel to (Marshall, JMU, App St, Coastal Carolina), smaller athletic budgets in the Sun Belt (more sustainable), ODU's facilities are on-par with most of the Belt and in some cases better (no need to really spend a ton of money anymore, after the new baseball facility)

I guess I see it as a lateral move that will cost less for ODU and will offer fans closer rivals and travel and more visits from fans of other teams. Also, the media revenue will be better and ODU fans might find it easier to find their teams on TV. So really it's a good thing for ODU in those terms.

As an ODU fan I'm ecstatic for the Sun Belt move. C-USA sucked and I didn't care about any of the teams there. Playing JMU, App, and Georgia Southern every year is going to be awesome. Those are a lot better than UNCC, MTSU, FAU, or FIU. And at least I can go to a damn away game without having to take a plane

• Like 3

I couldn’t be more excited about the schedule, and I know other people that are thrilled as well. It feels new and fresh, and people around here have interest and connections to schools like App St. , JMU, Coastal Carolina, and the non-conference schedule with UVA, ECU, and VT, definitely gives us Strength of Schedule points for a non-power conference team and provides fans the opportunity to go to places they already go to like Myrtle Beach. I hope we are competitive in non-conference, and pull off at least 1 W, and dominate the Sun Belt. I think ODU has a better chance at national attention in this conference, as people/ESPN seem to have at least some level of respect for schools like Coastal and App St football. 
The state of the basketball program is such that the conference doesn’t really matter, we need to find an identity, a strategy, some players, etc. before we’re even competitive at this level.
Either way, hopefully they sell some more season tickets, and Coach Rahne + Co. take us on a ride all the way to a new level of ODU football. Coastal was ranked as high as 14 and App St has been ranked pretty high as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, brikkman said:

A small blip, but Norfolk Tides made Sports Centers top 10 plays.....

Of course they pronounced it NOR---FOLK Tides...

We gotta get our name and pronunciation out there. Every big city has a known name pronunciation way but when it comes to Norfolk (Nah-Fuk) area we get punched in the face with Nor-FOLK.

5 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

*Nor-fuk.

Nah-Fuk, Nor-Fuk either way we pronunce it (depending on area of Norfolk you grew up in) seems to be socially acceptable. But the only way to go wrong is pronouncing the L in Norfolk or giving FOLK  a hard pronunciation. I think we can all agree to it one way or another.

Sorry, gang , but IMHO, the proper pronunciation is naw-FUK. I grew up in Portsmouth (sadly too often pronounced porch-MUFF) and graduated from ODU. But I'm also a huge fan of the BBC, Masterpiece Theater and Merchant-Ivory films. There was no Duke of NOR-folk or of nor-FUK, but there were scores of Dukes and Duchesses of naw-FUK! :tw_innocent:

Edited by Maine-via-Ptown
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Maine-via-Ptown said:

Sorry, gang , but IMHO, the proper pronunciation is naw-FUK. I grew up in Portsmouth (sadly too often pronounced porch-MUFF) and graduated from ODU. But I'm also a huge fan of the BBC, Masterpiece Theater and Merchant-Ivory films. There was no Duke of NOR-folk or of nor-FUK, but there were scores of Dukes and Duchesses of naw-FUK! :tw_innocent:

Hear, hear ol' chap! I concur!

17 hours ago, Maine-via-Ptown said:

Agreed, however I thought the pronunciation was spelled "nah" instead of "naw"

Both obviously making the same sound.

Hey, I get that the pronunciations of "old world" names often suffer when affixed to locales "across the pond."  My saddest example is here in Maine where a city with the truly melodious name of Calais is pronounced "Callous." We also have a Vienna, pronounced "Vye-enna."  And for more than 40 years, I have caused many Mainers to giggle and/or blush when I tell them I went to college in "Naw-FUK," Virginia (pairing the city and the state sorta makes it a tad more salacious sounding.  :tw_flushed: 

• Haha 2

Locally, most people say the Norfolk street Monticello as Monti-sello instead of properly saying Monti-chello like the instrument Cello, is pronounced.  C has a ch in Italian.  
or the Law offices of Montag-na.  Montagna means mountain and is pronounced like lasagna.  The gn has a quick blended “nea” sound.  Gnocchi is another examples Neaw-ki.

unless the dude pronounces his name in the Americanized or I like to say, wrong, way.  :)

Edited by metalman

On 5/14/2022 at 11:07 AM, metalman said:

Locally, most people say the Norfolk street Monticello as Monti-sello instead of properly saying Monti-chello like the instrument Cello, is pronounced.  C has a ch in Italian.  
or the Law offices of Montag-na.  Montagna means mountain and is pronounced like lasagna.  The gn has a quick blended “nea” sound.  Gnocchi is another examples Neaw-ki.

unless the dude pronounces his name in the Americanized or I like to say, wrong, way.  :)

From my understanding, both ways are the correct way to say Monticello. I always go with "chello" like the instrument but either works.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, urbanlife said:

From my understanding, both ways are the correct way to say Monticello. I always go with "chello" like the instrument but either works.

The way someone says Monticello and Boush tells me whether or not they're locals/hang with locals or not.

Edited by BeagleAccountant
  • Like 2