sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Looking over the list of Sun Belt stadiums, they have the second-smallest venue - ahead of Coastal Carolina - but a lot of the stadiums fall in the low-to-mid-20K range, so they're in good company. I do think they should get rid of the old end zone bleachers on the North end, rebuild to connect to the main bleachers and expand to at least 25K. I honestly don't get why they rebuilt the stadium only slightly larger than Foreman Field. 

Honestly, just expand to 30,000 and call it a day. ODU's not joining the ACC or SEC so it's not like they need 70,000 seats.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 2:17 AM, Urbanlooker said:

Interesting opinion can you explain a few of these reasons?

1)  W-L:  37-49 since transitioning:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/old-dominion/index.html

2)  Season ticket sales have plummeted:

“And while losing helped dampen ticket demand, season ticket sales have been on a steep and steady decline since ODU accepted in membership in Conference USA in 2014. Sales have dropped from 14,500 to 7,200 during that time.” 

—ODUsports.com

8 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

1)  W-L:  37-49 since transitioning:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/old-dominion/index.html

2)  Season ticket sales have plummeted:

“And while losing helped dampen ticket demand, season ticket sales have been on a steep and steady decline since ODU accepted in membership in Conference USA in 2014. Sales have dropped from 14,500 to 7,200 during that time.” 

—ODUsports.com

ODU hosts Virginia Tech four more times through 2031 (something that can not happen if we were still in FCS), and we're now in a conference with App State and JMU.  The only mistakes were heading to C-USA instead of the Sun Belt, and keeping Wilder for as long as we did. As an actual ODU fan I'm very happy we made the move cause if we didn't we'd be left behind by all of our athletic peers.

• Like 1

I think Sun Belt offers better competition plus better travel. When your team doesn’t win games, ticket sales decline. If they play like they did the second half of last season, the numbers should go back up again. 

Doesn’t hurt that there are still fans who don’t want to be in a crowded stadium. 

• Like 1

Well, then, that just goes to show you that wins and losses, and attendance, aren't everything!

Nope. It's mos def all about the Benjamins. And the hope of a Bowl game...which translates into even more paper. 

This "transition," as it were, is quite literally littered with teams who, once dominant (or at least successful) in FCS (1-AA) play,  find themselves perennial losers playing with the big boys.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
1 hour ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

I'm an old timer I guess, I pronounce Norfolk Nawfuk.  Often times here in DC I will slip into my Tidewater accent.  Montichello Ave., Porchmuth, and Newpot News.  

We don’t drink, We don’t smoke, Norfolk! Norfolk!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mintscraft56 said:

Iv heard alot of "Monti-sell-o" going around.  

Yeah, it was always "Monti-sell-o " when I lived in Norfolk.  But that's been nearly 20 years ago.  Monti-chell-o was some house near Charlottesville.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Im 17, our generation seems to Pronounce it Nor-fik or Naw-fik. 

On 5/22/2023 at 9:54 AM, EJ_LEWIS said:

I'm an old timer I guess, I pronounce Norfolk Nawfuk.  Often times here in DC I will slip into my Tidewater accent.  Montichello Ave., Porchmuth, and Newpot News.  

On 5/22/2023 at 8:21 PM, metalman said:

MontiCHello is how it should be pronounced.  It’s Italian.  

Go to Now Orleans and tell a native that Burgundy Street. is pronounced like the wine. A sideways look is the best you could hope to get.

Edited by NFKjeff
Complete info
  • Like 1