sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

Where did you hear this out? That would be cool if these tournaments happened here!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's the link to the article

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...87761&ran=50949

You would think that they would move to a city that actually has MEAC schools.  Norfolk or Hampton.  This just means that people (outsiders) see this area as a whole.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats always a good thing! :thumbsup:

Sounds like we will hear about Football at ODU relatively soon. The proposal and costs are being presented to the board of visitors, and afterwards they are expected to vote yea or nay in favor of football at ODU. I would post the link but that is about all it said. It's on News Channel 3's website.

Sounds like we will hear about Football at ODU relatively soon.  The proposal and costs are being presented to the board of visitors, and afterwards they are expected to vote yea or nay in favor of football at ODU.  I would post the link but that is about all it said.  It's on News Channel 3's website.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope ODU gets a team. And if they do, they better not be like NSU, but more like Hampton. Football in Va is going nuts. Between my Cavs, Tech winning the ACC, and JMU winning the D-II championship Virginia is taking its place as a football state.

As for the MEAC. The bball tourney has been moved from Richmond to Raleigh for the next 3 years. If Norfolk builds an arena, I'm confident it would land the tourney.

Sounds like we will hear about Football at ODU relatively soon.  The proposal and costs are being presented to the board of visitors, and afterwards they are expected to vote yea or nay in favor of football at ODU.  I would post the link but that is about all it said.  It's on News Channel 3's website.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't wait, I would take my family to the games and I live not too far from ODU. I'm planning on attending ODU after I finish at TCC. ODU rules!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good for ODU! President Traini of VCU has said that football will not happen during his tenure, which has two more years to go. His aim is to stress research and the arts, so sports programs will get short shrift at the hugh university.

I hope ODU gets a team.  And if they do, they better not be like NSU, but more like Hampton.  Football in Va is going nuts.  Between my Cavs, Tech winning the ACC, and JMU winning the D-II championship Virginia is taking its place as a football state.

As for the MEAC.  The bball tourney has been moved from Richmond to Raleigh for the next 3 years.  If Norfolk builds an arena, I'm confident it would land the tourney.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know if Norfolk will ever build an arena. They keep putting it off but its better that they do not go to far beyond their budget.

I don't know if Norfolk will ever build an arena. They keep putting it off but its better that they do not go to far beyond their budget.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Before Blake Cullen bought back the Admirals, a Canadian businessman approached Norfolk about doing a public-private partnership for an arena as part of his condition to buy the Admirals. The guy realized, as most of us have, that the Admirals would be a better draw in a new facility. I believe it was around 15,000 seats with expansion to 18,000 if the NBA decided to come. Unfortunately, Norfolk was still in the Expostakes. This passed opportunity has a lot of unanswered questions. Was this businessman for real and would the arena with him on board been a sure thing? If it was, then why did Norfolk not do it opting instead to remain a distant second in the Expostakes? Why would Norfolk go after a more expensive stadium vs a less expensive arena with greater profit potential? Why did Norfolk not ask NBC to see if they could refocus their attention on the NBA if Norfolk inked an arena deal? Did the Canadian guy ask for too much?

Before Blake Cullen bought back the Admirals, a Canadian businessman approached Norfolk about doing a public-private partnership for an arena as part of his condition to buy the Admirals.  The guy realized, as most of us have, that the Admirals would be a better draw in a new facility.  I believe it was around 15,000 seats with expansion to 18,000 if the NBA decided to come.  Unfortunately, Norfolk was still in the Expostakes.  This passed opportunity has a lot of unanswered questions.  Was this businessman for real and would the arena with him on board been a sure thing?  If it was, then why did Norfolk not do it opting instead to remain a distant second in the Expostakes?  Why would Norfolk go after a more expensive stadium vs a less expensive arena with greater profit potential?  Why did Norfolk not ask NBC to see if they could refocus their attention on the NBA if Norfolk inked an arena deal?  Did the Canadian guy ask for too much?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really think that Norfolk baseball company blew so much smoke up the city councils rear that they didn't even want to hear the Canadians proposal. I really think the city believed they had a good shot at getting the expos. They should have listen to the MLB commissioner statement a year before the expos tried to move that he said that the nation's capital would have a good chance to have a baseball team relocating there.

Strap your helmet on, football is coming home to ODU.  Board Passes unanimously, providing the school raise 8 million in one year and find land for a stadium.  :w00t:

Check the article out here

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is freakn awesome. I will do my best to go see games!!!!! Go ODU, my future university.

Strap your helmet on, football is coming home to ODU.  Board Passes unanimously, providing the school raise 8 million in one year and find land for a stadium.  :w00t:

Check the article out here

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow. Thats gonna be real good for this area.

Well, I've officially given up on pro sports in HR. KC is breaking ground on a $250 MM 18,500 seat arena with 72 suites(linked). Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG), which owns the Nugs and Pepsi Arena, as well as Sprint (signed for naming rights) are corporate sponsors. AEG, who ponyed up $50 MM, has appearantly already inked a deal to bring an AFL team there once the arena opens. KC hopes to lure an NBA or NHL team, as well. The NBA has been eyeing Baltimore (Stern publicly stated his desire for the NBA to return to that city) and either St. Louis or KC as the last U.S. expansion cities before trying to expand in Europe.

I don't get it. A businessman says he'll help pay for a new arena, but Norfolk says no. A better venue for the Admirals, an excellent chance of getting an AFL team (AFL2 was just stupid, that was designed for small towns), and a shot at an NBA team. Oh, well.

If you don't feel like registering (it is free), go to www.bugmenot.com.

Edited by hoobo

Well, I've officially given up on pro sports in HR.  KC is breaking ground on a $250 MM  18,500 seat arena with 72 suites(linked).  Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG), which owns the Nugs and Pepsi Arena, as well as Sprint (signed for naming rights) are corporate sponsors.  AEG, who ponyed up $50 MM, has appearantly already inked a deal to bring an AFL team there once the arena opens.  KC hopes to lure an NBA or NHL team, as well.  The NBA has been eyeing Baltimore (Stern publicly stated his desire for the NBA to return to that city) and either St. Louis or KC as the last U.S. expansion cities before trying to expand in Europe.

I don't get it.  A businessman says I'll help pay for a new arena, but Norfolk says no.  A better venue for the Admirals, an excellent chance of getting an AFL team (AFL2 was just stupid, that was designed for small towns), and a shot at an NBA team.  Oh, well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think thats the main reason people here have given up on major sports in this area because other areas have gotten their stuff together and yet we still find a way to not get ours together. We have to build a stadium to attract a team point blank. No team is going to wait for a stadium to be built here. When the city announced that they would just renovate scope and not build a new stadium I have to admit I was very disappointed about that news. I still want to have faith that one day we will have a team.

Well, I've officially given up on pro sports in HR.  KC is breaking ground on a $250 MM  18,500 seat arena with 72 suites(linked).  Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG), which owns the Nugs and Pepsi Arena, as well as Sprint (signed for naming rights) are corporate sponsors.  AEG, who ponyed up $50 MM, has appearantly already inked a deal to bring an AFL team there once the arena opens.  KC hopes to lure an NBA or NHL team, as well.  The NBA has been eyeing Baltimore (Stern publicly stated his desire for the NBA to return to that city) and either St. Louis or KC as the last U.S. expansion cities before trying to expand in Europe.

I don't get it.  A businessman says he'll help pay for a new arena, but Norfolk says no.  A better venue for the Admirals, an excellent chance of getting an AFL team (AFL2 was just stupid, that was designed for small towns), and a shot at an NBA team.  Oh, well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't sweat it. AFL? Big deal. As for the NHL, well just remember what kind of season they had. Oops..thats right, they didn't have a season! NBA, watch for the impending lockout before the start of their next season. :unsure:

I wouldn't sweat it. AFL? Big deal. As for the NHL, well just remember what kind of season they had.  Oops..thats right, they didn't have a season! NBA, watch for the impending lockout before the start of their next season.  :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What makes you think they will have a lockout in the NBA?