sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

What makes you think they will have a lockout in the NBA?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last I saw (and this was some weeks ago) contract negotiations between NBA and union were going nowhere. From what I've heard and read there are several critical issues that are not going to be resolved. I Hope I'm wrong, but my "Spidey" senses tell me otherwise. :whistling:

Check out:

NBA contract talks

Edited by Merrittk92

I wouldn't sweat it. AFL? Big deal. As for the NHL, well just remember what kind of season they had.  Oops..thats right, they didn't have a season! NBA, watch for the impending lockout before the start of their next season.  :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I group the NHL and AFL together. Getting an NHL team is like getting an AFL team, nothing special - and I don't think hockey is that popular enough in HR that an NHL team would do well.

I still think NBA is the best way for Norfolk to go. They take chances on smaller or up-and-coming markets (Orlando, San Antonio, Memphis, Portland, Salt Lake City and Sacramento). As long as Norfolk can get a suitable arena.

Good thing there're college sports and their indentured servitude system.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Hoobo, I attended the Great Bridge HS graduation the other day and a young man from the Wildcat wrestling team was applauded for being awarded a full scholarship to the University of Illinois. The four year value of that scholarship was announced as $96,000, based on out-of-state rates.

That's not a shabby return for voluntary "indentured servitude" that will likely also equip the young man to succeed in a career and become an overall productive member of society.

Chesapeake Pirate

College basketball players are not allowed to receive profit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm at a loss. :unsure: Please remind me of the percentage of college basketball players who stay for their full four year scholarship. :rofl: National exposure that leads to "phat" NBA contracts. :w00t: The opportunity for a free education valued at up to 100 grand? :thumbsup: I don't know..Indentured servitude, sign me-up. ;)

Indentured servitude? Please elaborate and expand on that comment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some, like Rashad McCants, want to call college sports slavery. That's going too far. Indentured servitude is more fitting. Indentured servants were brought from places like England to the New World by those with property who were already here. They were bound by a contract to work for that person for 5 - 7 years. When that period ended they were given hundreds of acres of land. So in return for their work they received a free boat ride across the Atlantic and a sizeable piece of land on which to farm. Adam Thoroughgood was an indentured servant. After his servitude, he received hundreds of acres. Later when he became more successful, he bought land eventually owning over 5000 acres and he became a force in HR trading. I think he did pretty well.

College sports is no different than indentured servitude. These kids receive a scholarship to a school many of which would not be able to attend, either because of grades or money. As part of their contract, they must play NCAA (and sometimes other intercollegiate) sports and are not allowed to have part-time jobs (because who knows if it's a fake job intended to mask gifts from boosters). Yes, the stars of the teams will get under-the-table gifts, but that is for the very few. In they stick to the program, they receive a free education. If they're excellent football, basketball, or baseball players they may get drafted and collect big money. The kid playing field hockey, though, isn't going to get that "phat" contract. Even most of the kids on the high profile teams don't get the pro contract. However they do get a diploma in return for competing for their school like an indentured servant received land in return for working 5 years.

Quick comparison:

scholarship = trip to New World

playing NCAA sports for 4 years = working for 5 years

diploma (and/or pro contract) = hundreds of acres of land

On an aside, student-athletes who drop out of the sport can stay at the school as long as they can pay for it.

Edited by hoobo

Hoobo, I hear what you are saying but I guess I am detecting negative vibrations for college sports which I don't understand.  Since there is not a lot of indentured servitude in 2005 as you describe it, it is hard to make the connection.  A college athletic scholarship is a voluntary relationship for those so inclined.  When you say "many" of those receiving athletic scholarships would not be able to attend those schools because of academics and money, I don't know what you mean by "many" and it seems you are just perpetuating that "dumb jock" myth.  Part of the myth you perpetuate is that scholarship athletes are not allowed to hold jobs.  Well, that is both true and not.  They are not allowed to hold jobs while school is in session, but they can while it is not.  Student athletes, due to their academic and athletic responsibilities, have extremely busy schedules during the school year and have probably the most structured and disciplined lives of all students in college.  The percentage of high school athletes who get college scholarships is miniscule, and the percentage that get to the pros is microscopic.  No doubt there are occassional abuses and no doubt our system (NCAA college athletics) does not exactly match the mission of academics, but this is the sytem we have.  It does allow alumni to have another connection to their alma mater, and hopefully that will lead to good feelings and support of the academic mission of the college.  This is certainly a factor that ODU considered in its recent decison to begin a football program.

Chesapeake Pirate

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't get me wrong, I love college sports. I love watching more than pro sports and I'm constantly keeping up with what's happening with my Hoos, not just in football or basketball, but in baseball, soccer, lacrosse, tennis, women's crew, etc. I'm not trying to prepetuate the dumb jock myth, but there are student-athletes who wouldn't get into Virginia, Berkeley, UCLA, William & Mary, etc. if it wasn't for sports. A 3.2 GPA and 960 SAT is not gonna cut it. Most college athletes are bright esp. in the Olympic sports but also in the big-money sports. Thomas Jones and Majestic Mapp both received master degrees while at UVa. Jones did it in 4 years. Matt Schaub was had over a 3.0 GPA as an Econ major. Emeka Okafor was a star business student at UConn getting his degree in 3 years. But if TJ didn't have football, I'm not sure he would've been able to afford UVa. I don't think many of the athletes at Stanford or Northwestern can afford the tutitions even with financial aid. These kids get a benefit I could never get but they also have to pay by having a very disciplined life. That's the trade-off. Indentured servitude was voluntary (not like slavery or impressment which was forced and still is forced upon people). If you didn't want to uphold the contract, back you go to England and you have to pay for the boat ride. The NCAA rules are jacked. Hansen could sign a minor league contract and still play football for Michigan, but the Olympic skier at Colorado couldn't get endorsement deals to pay for his Olympic training if he wanted to play football at CU. I believe there is a limit on how much an NCAA athlete can earn during the year (not just school year).

I think that the mariners are a dead horse. I don't know how they are not in the red.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I enjoyed the game I went to, but the drive was ridiculous. Half an hour each way to watch 90 minutes of soccer, which is about 1 hr and 45 min at the stadium. This isn't a three hour concert that happens once a year, it's a weekly event. I know the core market is families, but even they would like to get something more out of their drive. The city put a stadium in the middle of nowhere. Stadiums need bars and restaurants near by for pre- and/or post-game partying. VB would have done a lot better if it bought the FX property and built the Sportsplex there. Only NFL stadiums can be put in the boondocks and flourish.

I enjoyed the game I went to, but the drive was ridiculous.  Half an hour each way to watch 90 minutes of soccer, which is about 1 hr and 45 min at the stadium.  This isn't a three hour concert that happens once a year, it's a weekly event.  I know the core market is families, but even they would like to get something more out of their drive.  The city put a stadium in the middle of nowhere.  Stadiums need bars and restaurants near by for pre- and/or post-game partying.  VB would have done a lot better if it bought the FX property and built the Sportsplex there.  Only NFL stadiums can be put in the boondocks and flourish.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that locations have a great deal to do with the success of any sport. That's why alot of teams like to be close to dt of that city.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, I was thinking. What if American pro sports operated like Europe. There, there are 'minor leagues', but if a team does well enough, the whole team is 'promoted' to the big leagues. It stays right where it is, but plays against the big boys. Even if its in a podunk little village. What if they did that here? 1) do you think any of our teams would be good enough to compete against big league teams? 2) what kind of affect would that have on exposure for the Hampton Roads area?

Edited by aHeartOfWrship

You know, I was thinking.  What if American pro sports operated like Europe.  There, there are 'minor leagues', but if a team does well enough, the whole team is 'promoted' to the big leagues.  It stays right where it is, but plays against the big boys.  Even if its in a podunk little village.  What if they did that here?  1) do you think any of our teams would be good enough to compete against big league teams?  2) what kind of affect would that have on exposure for the Hampton Roads area?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

America operates alot different than Europe and we don't have the same mindset of Europeans and can see that in the world news and such.

America operates alot different than Europe and we don't have the same mindset of Europeans and can see that in the world news and such.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont think that would really disallow us from having that kind of *sport* system. LoL ... I'm a mets fan and when the Mets and Tides have their annual exhibition game, the Mets usually get creamed ... so if that's any indicator ... haha

God those bums...

I dont think that would really disallow us from having that kind of *sport* system. LoL ... I'm a mets fan and when the Mets and Tides have their annual exhibition game, the Mets usually get creamed ... so if that's any indicator ... haha

God those bums...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They beat the Mets because they are playing the bench. I'm a big Mets fan too! I wanted the expos to come here so I could see the Mets as much as possible but that was dream that was crushed and stomped on then it laughed at me. <_<

They beat the Mets because they are playing the bench. I'm a big Mets fan too! I wanted the expos to come here so I could see the Mets as much as possible but that was dream that was crushed and stomped on then it laughed at me. <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha I know I just like complaining about the Mets ... best part of being a Mets fan.

I know what you mean, I was at first unsure of the whole MLB thing here because I do enjoy Harbor Park, but I went up to Baltimore for a weekend and saw an Orioles game (I hadn't been to a major league game in awhile) and realized just how badly I wanted MLB in Hampton Roads.

Now, I too want the Nationals to go belly up and die!!

The more likely scenario, unfortunately, is the Orioles doing that. They're having an amazing season but yet attendance is way down. Its like everything Angelos said would happen is transpiring. Really disheartening too ... why would anyone want to go to RFK stadium when they could be going to Camden Yards?!?!

Maybe the Orioles will come here. THAT would be a supreme instance of poetic irony!!