sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

Alot of their attendence came from the NOVA and DC area. Thats a shame that they are going to drive a good team to the ground. Hmm maybe they should have gone to Norfolk like Peter said! He knew this was going to happen.

Edited by rusthebuss

Alot of their attendence came from the NOVA and DC area. Thats a shame that they are going to drive a good team to the ground. Hmm maybe they should have gone to Norfolk like Peter said! He knew this was going to happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, it just opens up opportunities. Angelos favored the NATS being here in Norfolk. He didn't get his way, so in retaliation he could up and move his team elsewhere, say maybe hampton Roads.

I know everyone here has ben talking about a basketball arena, but the most sense can be made for a football stadium.

Before you laugh, finish reading my case...

The business model of the NFL is set up so that it practically guarantees a team will make money. The revenue sharing and TV deals make it so that a team doesn't have to rely on ticket sales as much to be solvent. Consider that along with the fact that with the NFL you only have to worry about selling eight regular season games and possibly the playoffs and you cna see how it would make sense for a place like here. Then consider the fact that this area is a military town with folks from all over and allegiances to all sorts of teams, the NFL which has the strongest fan base is quite attractive. And it is less of a financial risk for a medium market like Hampton Roads.

OK, so what do we do with an NFL stadium during the offseason? I admit that it doesn't present the opportunities for concerts or conventions, but the market for convention space is already flooded with new buildings in Virginia Beach and Hampton. I don't think this area is strong enough as a concert market to justify a 18,000 to 20,000 seat venue. Plus, there aren't that many shows touring that would require space bigger than Scope. I say renovate Scope, build a football stadium.

That just a dissenting opinion.

I suppose HR could get Al Davis to move the Raiders. He seems to like to do that every 15 years. And there're always the Saints and Chargers who are whining for new stadiums. I always thought HR couldn't support an NFL team because of its proximity and love for the Skins as well as its proximity to the Panthers and Ravens. But if Jax can support a team (and they have the Falcons and Bucs a few hours away) and Nashville can have a team (plus the NHL) without any support coming from Memphis, then maybe HR can get one. Buffalo seems fine. And KC has a team, plus MLB and possibly a future NBA or NHL team. So fan-wise, HR could support a team.

However, I expect Bruce Wayne to understand the inherent problems with a stadium. The revenue sharing and TV money doesn't go to the city or stadium, but to the team. From a municipal standpoint, a $200 MN arena would be easier to finance than a $400 MN football stadium. And unless it's domed, forget about a Super Bowl. HR weather isn't that great in January. That means another $100 MN for a dome. Also, don't expect an owner to finance a stadium, because HR is a risk in itself. Anyway, the NFL will insist on a publicly-financed stadium. They're asking the L.A. area to foot the bill, which is ridiculous. I mean, the NFL wants the L.A. market yet it won't have finance a stadium. And a team in HR would have to be a relocated one, since NFL franchise fees are approaching $1 Billion and the only market the NFL wants to tap is L.A.

The NBA just appears to be less of a financial risk for all parties involved.

Edited by hoobo

I suppose HR could get Al Davis to move the Raiders.  He seems to like to do that every 15 years.  And there're always the Saints and Chargers who are whining for new stadiums.  I always thought HR couldn't support an NFL team because of its proximity and love for the Skins as well as its proximity to the Panthers and Ravens.  But if Jax can support a team (and they have the Falcons and Bucs a few hours away) and Nashville can have a team (plus the NHL) without any support coming from Memphis, then maybe HR can get one.  Buffalo seems fine.  And KC has a team, plus MLB and possibly a future NBA or NHL team.  So fan-wise, HR could support a team.

However, I expect Bruce Wayne to understand the inherent problems with a stadium.  The revenue sharing and TV money doesn't go to the city or stadium, but to the team.  From a municipal standpoint, a $200 MN arena would be easier to finance than a $400 MN football stadium.  And unless it's domed, forget about a Super Bowl.  HR weather isn't that great in January.  That means another $100 MN for a dome.  Also, don't expect an owner to finance a stadium, because HR is a risk in itself.  Anyway, the NFL will insist on a publicly-financed stadium.  They're asking the L.A. area to foot the bill, which is ridiculous.  I mean, the NFL wants the L.A. market yet it won't have finance a stadium.  And a team in HR would have to be a relocated one, since NFL franchise fees are approaching  $1 Billion and the only market the NFL wants to tap is L.A.

The NBA just appears to be less of a financial risk for all parties involved.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or do you mean Batman to understand. :D

Mark Kreidler: A Triple-A-OK place to be? It's right here

By Mark Kreidler -- Bee Sports Columnist

Published 2:15 am PDT Wednesday, July 13, 2005

It felt a little bit like surrender, but that was then. Back then, when the River Cats were being relocated from Canada and renamed to something that locals might at least think sounded familiar, the whole idea of going Triple-A felt like one giant concession.

The A's, after all, were sitting over there in Oakland, doing a slow burn over the Coliseum's utter capitulation in the return of Al Davis. Sacramento's valley was the growth region.

The Kings sold out just about every game they played, even when they stunk.

Other minor-league sports had died and been buried here in numbers too embarrassingly large to count.

The message seemed clear: Sacramentans increasingly were demanding the elite stuff. They wanted the top sport played at the highest level. And they were the comers, the region on the rise.

And that all turned out to be right, in a remarkably wrong sort of way.

rest of article

Two comments: Sacramento Metro has more than 2 million people. Sacramento does not appear to have any F-500 or F-1000 companies headquartered there.

People ask why a pro sport team helps a area in a sense. The owners are buisnessmen and they don't just own land and businessmen congragate together and talk and bring other buisnesses to areas. They do help but its just not as apparent as people think. Hopefully we will inquire an NBA team. Just be hopeful :whistling:

Forgetting the fact that Hampton Roads has produced some of the nation's foremost athletes over the past decade or two, I think the only major thing that will put us on the map sports-wise would be a major event being held here. I think that a US MLS or WUSA Championship game in Va Beach would help to draw some attention and other sports would begin to take notice. Having a rapidly growing sport like soccer hold a major tournament here with national television coverage would be a boon to our chances for other, future sports franchises investing in us. Of course this may be swayed by my love for soccer... but I think it's a smart move because we've held several tournaments in the past including international games and minor-league championships.

Forgetting the fact that Hampton Roads has produced some of the nation's foremost athletes over the past decade or two, I think the only major thing that will put us on the map sports-wise would be a major event being held here.  I think that a US MLS or WUSA Championship game in Va Beach would help to draw some attention and other sports would begin to take notice.  Having a rapidly growing sport like soccer hold a major tournament here with national television coverage would be a boon to our chances for other, future sports franchises investing in us.  Of course this may be swayed by my love for soccer... but I think it's a smart move because we've held several tournaments in the past including international games and minor-league championships.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really doubt that this area would be able to support a major league soccer game. The only two things that I think will work is the NBA, and MLB. MLB is questionable though. Our problem is that there is no one that wants to stay here. You would have to have someone that loves the Hampton Roads area that would want to do buisness here.

I really doubt that this area would be able to support a major league soccer game. The only two things that I think will work is the NBA, and MLB. MLB is questionable though. Our problem is that there is no one that wants to stay here. You would have to have someone that loves the Hampton Roads area that would want to do buisness here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If we could get a major-league, international game here (like.. Real Madrid vs. Manchester United---not that we could) we could draw 10s of thousands of visitors to the region for just that game.

I think NBA could definitely work in this area, and MLB too. As far as getting someone to commit to keeping a team here... we have a lot of rich businessmen and women around that could invest in these teams, so I think that once we get a team we'd be good.

I just hope that all this development catches the eyes of the NBA or MLB as a possible location for a team expansion or for a team that is wanting to move.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Combined with the solid effort NBC gave in trying to bring the Expos here last year I would say yes, yes we have opened a few eyes. :thumbsup: While I'm on the subject of MLB relocation, seems MLB's "Great Overlord" Bud Selig doesn't see it (relocation) happening anytime soon. :cry:

Read the Article

From the Sout Florida Sun-Sentinel

Selig: Marlins to stay put

By Mike Berardino

Staff writer

Posted July 13 2005

"I believe the South Florida market is clearly a major league market," Selig said. "There isn't anybody at the front of the line for moving. There isn't anybody going anywhere."

Sure Bud. Lets see what tune your whistling at the end of the season. B)

Combined with the solid effort NBC gave in trying to bring the Expos here last year I would say yes, yes we have opened a few eyes. :thumbsup:  While I'm on the subject of MLB relocation, seems MLB's "Great Overlord" Bud Selig doesn't see it (relocation) happening anytime soon. :cry:

Read the Article

From the Sout Florida Sun-Sentinel

Selig: Marlins to stay put

By Mike Berardino

Staff writer

Posted July 13 2005

"I believe the South Florida market is clearly a major league market," Selig said. "There isn't anybody at the front of the line for moving. There isn't anybody going anywhere."

Sure Bud. Lets see what tune your whistling at the end of the season. B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He won't be whistling to much when the orioles flop due to his irresponsible decision that he made with the nationals. That move was not in the best decision for Peter Angelos and he should have fought it till the end and now he is going to suffer.

I still say forget basketball and forget baseball, go for the NFL. Yes, it will cost more to build a stadium, but I think you get more use out of it in the long run. And if we build a football stadium, it could be converted for baseball if a team were to be looking for a new home. It also could be used for concerts, as Heinz Field is being used, according to this story below.

The whole thing about how the revenue is generated in the NFL makes it less of a risk for a team to come here. And we would not have to sell out as many dates. NFL fans are more rabid than fans of Major League Baseball or the NBA. The NFL cuts across all socioeconomic, racial and ethnic boundaries. And I believe that is because of the league's marketing scheme which focuses on the teams rather than the individual players. The players hate it because they think it cuts their ability to garner endorsement money. But, to me, it is has taken power away from jerks to mess up the marketing of the game.

Not to get racial, but the NBA has the perception of being the African American, urban sport. It has had trouble in recent years marketing to middle class white America. I'm not criticizing, I'm just stating a point. Conversely, Major League Baseball has been struggling in recent years to build interest among young African American kids. And let's not even talk about the NHL or soccer.

For those reasons, I think the NFL would do better here. Believe it or not, this is NOT just Redskins country. And considering how traffic is and how hard tickets are to come by, why in the world would you even want to trek to FedEx field?

Heinz Field converts for concerts

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

By John Hayes, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The owners of Heinz Field are tapping the bottle to find 57 varieties of Heinz Field usage, although they admit they're playing "catch-up" with other venues.

The Steelers routinely sell out all of their games, but as part of a plan among NFL field owners to discover more ways to draw people to their stadiums, the Rooney Sports and Entertainment Group announced yesterday the unveiling of a new Heinz Field configuration which, in effect, creates a new 5,000 to 6,000-seat summer concert venue.

On Aug. 22, classic rock favorites Styx, Kansas and another co-headliner (either an Outlaws reunion or 38 Special) will play the new North Shore Stage. The riser will be placed on the goal line in the enclosed north end zone with bands facing the steeply inclined end zone seats. About 500 additional seats will be placed on the turf between the north end zone and the stands, and the south end-zone video screen, the largest in the NFL, will serve as backdrop. No word as to whether the giant lighted ketchup bottle will pour during encores.

Tickets to Styx and Kansas go on sale July 22 for $35 to $45 and can be purchased at Ticketmaster locations or 412-323-1919.

Heinz Group president Tom Rooney adds that while more shows may be booked at the North Shore Stage, he's still working on building a permanent amphitheater on the site where Cirque du Soleil performed this year between Heinz Field and PNC Park.

Upcoming non-football uses for the stadium include a Bassmasters Classic performance by Josh Turner in the Coca-Cola Great Hall on July 28, a full-stadium show by Kenny Chesney and other country stars July 30, and the Rib and Music Festival at the South Plaza and Art Rooney Avenue Sept. 1-5.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(John Hayes can be reached at [email protected] or 412-263-1991.)

The problem is how expensive it is to start a team and the chances of someone actually moving a team to this area is very, very slim. I think with the low overhead that the NBA is the only way we could push into the pro sports market and maybe one other sport down the road.

One more thing is that for some reason no one really wants to move here. Maybe with all this development it will become more apeasing to the businessmen that are looking to move or start up a team. What has happened with the Norfolk Baseball Co.? Haven't heard anything on them and wonder if they just gave up. They took a big risk and I have to applaud them on the way they brought this area together and left a nice jobs to do this for this area. Maybe someone could direct them to this site and see how we support them with future attempts to bring Norfolk to the next level in sports.

One more thing is that for some reason no one really wants to move here. Maybe with all this development it will become more apeasing to the businessmen that are looking to move or start up a team. What has happened with the Norfolk Baseball Co.? Haven't heard anything on them and wonder if they just gave up. They took a big risk and I have to applaud them on the way they brought this area together and left a nice jobs to do this for this area. Maybe someone could direct them to this site and see how we support them with future attempts to bring Norfolk to the next level in sports.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are still out there. They just recently got an extension on the legislation that would help to pay for the stadium should someone come.

They are still out there.  They just recently got an extension on the legislation that would help to pay for the stadium should someone come.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was hoping that someone heard that they were working on some kind of project. Baseball, Football(which I doubt will ever come here), and Basketball would be great to come here. I want to have faith but over the years of being teased with the thoughts of a team coming here and then dropped hard over and over again its starting to wear me down and loose my faith that this area will have a pro team. :(

I was hoping that someone heard that they were working on some kind of project. Baseball, Football(which I doubt will ever come here), and Basketball would be great to come here. I want to have faith but over the years of being teased with the thoughts of a team coming here and then dropped hard over and over again its starting to wear me down and loose my faith that this area will have a pro team. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Patience my good man. Remember, it took D.C. 34 yrs. to bring baseball back to the Nation's Capital. :whistling: These things don't happen overnight, though like you I really, really..really wish they would. <_<