MidTowne Village

daniel nudnik

does anyone know what's happening with this:

http://www.midtownevillage.com/

I'm skeptical of it. I see too much parking. I see poor people being kicked out of their homes for an office park in disguise. I see franchised bagel businesses and a lack of connections to the surrounding neighborhood. I see needless "open space." I see "urban renewal" by another name. what do you guys think? do you know if it's still on track?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything is better than that neighborhood that was there. It was a complete dump. Plus, these 'poor people' that got 'kicked out' got a lot of money for their homes. Most probably never would have sold on the private market, most were probably not even close to being up to code.

I agree. It was a neighborhood doomed by the building of I96. 4 or 5 dead-end streets next to the expressway, more than half the houses owned by absentee landlords. I don't think it is disguised as an office park. It IS an office park but has the potential to bring more people to that neighborhood. I think it is a good project for Michigan Street, and the added residential is just icing on the cake.

Joe

Anything is better than that neighborhood that was there.  It was a complete dump.  Plus, these 'poor people' that got 'kicked out' got a lot of money for their homes.  Most probably never would have sold on the private market, most were probably not even close to being up to code.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's true that the homes in that area had practically no resale potential. Their best option financially was to sell out. A mixed use site, including medical buildings, is very appropriate considering it's location on 'medical mile.' Aesthetically I like how the buildings look. However, Daniel does make some valid points. The design makes very little connection with the surrounding community. There is actually attempt to buffer the park away from Michigan St. It's a difficult property is work with considering there is only access from the south side, but I don't think it is utilized to its full potential. The feature I dislike most is the parking. Each building becomes an island, separated by lots and internal roads. It seems that the parking is somewhat downplayed in the renderings:

midtowne render

Yet, a direct overhead view shows an awful lot of concrete:

midtowne site

There is no doubt that this project is infinitely better than what it will replace. It is a good design; but it is it the best?

that place in on a huge hill, i slid down the sidewalk with my cleats on after a big softball game (we won).

there used to be a african gallery in one of those demo buildings. he had some good stuff, hes down by sandmans now. in a remodeled bazanni building.....with grass on the roof i'm sure...lol

Ive been in that area, and this seems like a better development for the area. Like people have said a lot of the houses were abandoned or so out of shape your not really hurting anyone. Plus they paid a lot more then the real worth of the site.

• 1 month later...

In the Press yesterday they announced that 18 doctors will come together and build a women's health services center in Midtowne Village, increasing the size of one of the buildings and getting the project kicked off in late summer. This will add more critical mass to the medical mile (and might actually make it a mile long ;) . I'm excited to see what impact this development has on the rest of the area. It is pretty dilapidated but I see a lot of potential.

Link:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...90806212690.xml

Joe

In the Press yesterday they announced that 18 doctors will come together and build a women's health services center in Midtowne Village, increasing the size of one of the buildings and getting the project kicked off in late summer. This will add more critical mass to the medical mile (and might actually make it a mile long ;) . I'm excited to see what impact this development has on the rest of the area. It is pretty dilapidated but I see a lot of potential.

Link:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...90806212690.xml

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is fantastic. Between that, the children's hospital, the Meijer Heart Center, VAI, and the Lacks Cancer Center, GR is acquiring a handsome group of top-notch specialty centers. It's another indication for the successful future for medical mile. MSU, WHERE ARE YOU?!

That is fantastic.  Between that, the children's hospital, the Meijer Heart Center, VAI, and the Lacks Cancer Center, GR is acquiring a handsome group of top-notch specialty centers.  It's another indication for the successful future for medical mile.  MSU, WHERE ARE YOU?!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm wonder if my doctors have any pull with MSU administration (over half of them attended MSU)

• 4 weeks later...

The Business Journal had an update on Midtowne Village. It sounds like the Women's Center will be the second building built and could start in 90 days. Here is a rendering:

Womens.jpg

The first building to go up will be Building D, a mixed use office, retail and residential with "live work" space. This building will front Michigan street at Paris.

Joe

Having seen what originally was proposed for this site, and having been a part of changing it to its current design, Midtowne Village will suite the surrounding neighborhood better than the initial design.

The neighborhood association was presented with a design very similar to the new GVSU nursing school and urged the city and SJ Wasinki to change it. Now don

You mean the Danger Mart.

They should just tear it down and setup a mini prison.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always called it the Scarey Mart... but now it's not the Dairy Mart so it's not as funny unless you knew what it used to be

:wacko: OMG! Please tell me you're kidding? Do the owners of this property not see the effort that their neighboors are putting into building that part of the city up? Of all the dumb things they could put forward to muck that effort up, they chose one of those one-story, behind the parking lot, low rent hole type buildings? Why not just build a well designed gas station? The area can always use one, and doing it right will go a long way into cleaning up the image of what has to be one of the worst service stations in the city!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think its only temporary until someone who comes in with a good plan comes in and just buries the whole station.

Official agenda from the city:

Petitions and Communications

a) 514 Michigan St., NE - SPR 20-05

Zoning: C-2 Community Commercial

Type of Case: Site Plan Review as required by Article 15, Section 5.155

Requesting: Approval of redevelopment of a gas station and convenience store to a gas station, expanded convenience store and restaurant.

Requirements: Article 6A Site Plan Review.

The "new site plan" failed to meet all nieghborhood safety recommendations so the crack, the prostitutes "other solicitations" will continue...oh yeah, and Quiznos will be there, too! :wacko:

• 11 months later...

Archived