Toll the Brookshire?

jb4563

Does anyone think turning the Brookshire into a toll from 85 to 77 would be a good idea? No exits/no intersections. Maybe a .50 cents toll?

Of course the interchanges at each intertstate would need to be retooled to allow traffic to move a quick speeds on/off the interstate.

It would take congestion off the 77/85 interchange.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That isn't a bad idea considering the only exit right now is for Beatties Ford Rd. The interchange with I-77 is nice because it has high speed merges/flyovers where they would be needed the most. The only problem is the interchange with I-85 and the block or so of businesses at the I-85 interchange--moves slow at rush hour, would have to be streamlined in order for people to feel really want to use it.

That part of the Brookshire freeway is a state highway (NC16), so I suspect there would be less red tape involved in making it a toll road. I'm sure there would still be some drama.

Interchange with I-77 (I-77 is the North-South route)

I77-Brookshire.jpg

Interchange with I-85. Note the development along Brookshire. The freeway part starts on the right corner of the frame

I85-Brookshire.jpg

Does anyone think turning the Brookshire into a toll from 85 to 77 would be a good idea?  No exits/no intersections.  Maybe a .50 cents toll?

Of course the interchanges at each intertstate would need to be retooled to allow traffic to move a quick speeds on/off the interstate.

It would take congestion off the 77/85 interchange.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would think a toll would ADD congestion to the interchange. 85 to 77 is only about 1 or 2 minutes slower than the Brookshire. I would trade $.50 for 2 minutes most days.

Not to mention you are only going to get 85 north traffic, which is the LEAST congested of the 4 main routes in.

this is an interesting idea! As archi said, if you just do the part between 77 and 85, there would be few people willing to go through the hassle, as the alternate is very easy and is just a tiny bit longer for most people.

I wonder if they could put tolls on nc 16 either between 85 and 485, or on the new bypass 16 they are adding in lincoln and catawba county as a easier route between hickory and charlotte. And (most likely) to open up the eastern parts of those counties to development on the west side of lake norman. A toll in that section might help curb excessive spawl, and make some money on the truck traffic that will possibly take that route from hickory to the clt airport that might try to avoid tolls on garden pkwy.

Archived