Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

doormanpoet

Buildings you want torn down

The James Robertson Apartments in Nashville on 7th avenue is infested with rats and cockroaches. It is basically a homeless hotel. A guy in Franklin, Tennessee owns the place and it has an estimated value of 3.5 million. The problem is that it is a govt. funded facility where residents pay $20 a month rent! Yes! $20 a month! Not more than a block away, some of the Cumberland Apartments are $2000 a month.

Years ago, it was a luxury hotel. My father stayed there in 1956 when he was in the Air National Guard. They had a convention in Nashville and he stayed there. It is also where the Opry stars used to stay. Now it is filled with prostitutes, drug addicts, alcoholics, and pimps.

They recently installed sprinklers and repaired elevators. Once, the elevator repairmen came into our building to use the restroom because the ones there were so filthy. Sometimes they find dead bodies that have been there for weeks and almost decomposed! No-one checks on the elderly there who die and no one knows it.

The department of health won't do anything. The local news wont report on it. The City Paper wrote on it last year and the manager said they were not going anywhere. How long can this den of filth, death and rats continue?

I say tear the place down and move the deserving people to an assisted living place.

Once, there was a proposal for a 48 story building there, but the owner refused to sell. 7th and commerce is one of the best locations in downtown and no one will do anything about this filty place!

One of the buildings I want torn down in Providence is going to be. The Fogarty Building was in a brutalist style. It is falling down and vacant currently. It is going to be replaced with a hotel tower.

Another building I want torn down is getting a total renovation, the Providence Holiday Inn is being transformed into and upscale Hilton Hotel with a 27 story condo tower attached to it.

Only three buildings in Boston should be torn down, but they're biggies: City Hall, the Government Center Garage next door, and the Hurley/Lindemann State Service Center nearby. All three were huge 1960s-70s mistakes.

These three buildings are irredeemable. Other things that once seemed like mistakes are gradually becoming integrated into the city fabric, most notably the Prudential Center.

Sorry Ron, but I actually like City Hall ;) I think the parking garage isn't as bad as everyone thinks (but I wouldn't miss it if it was torn down), and the State Services Center would have looked better with the propsed tower that was never built right in it. I would like to see Logan Airport be redeveloped, but they probably won't ever move the airport in my lifetime. Oh well.

I thought of one more Boston building that should go: the Midtown Hotel on Huntington Avenue, across from the Christian Science complex. It looks like something that belongs on Route 9 in Framingham, not on a major street of a big city. How did it ever get built here?

Bell South Building

I'd love to see this boarded up eyesore depart Charlotte so close to the new arena being built. I believe it's days are numbered as it is.

I agree, That building is truly an eyesore. It looks stupid next to the new shiny arena, like it should be in Monroe or something.

the Modis building in Jacksonville should be torn down right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree.... never have really thought its apearance did much for Jville.I like the height but it isn't going to fit well with newer buildings

One of the buildings I want torn down in Providence is going to be. The Fogarty Building was in a brutalist style. It is falling down and vacant currently. It is going to be replaced with a hotel tower.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Am I the only one who just can't find beauty in brutalism? I really hate to dismiss a whole architectural movement just like that, but I've yet to see an attractive brutalist building.

Genesee Towers here in Flint...the ugliest building that has ever been designed. It's been vacant for 5 years, and it's literally crumbling apart. It's a miracle people haven't been hurt by the chunks of concrete that are falling off.