Detroit public housing funds face elimination

Jonzo

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't any too surprising to me. Mismanagement at the Detroit Housing Commission. No surprises there.

It's too bad that the program isn't living up to its potential. Nationally, just 33 of the 217 projects have been completed. That is not a good success rate at all. The program needs to be restructured, although it looks like it will be eliminated before that happens.

I can't believe Woodbridge Estates got it's funding way back in 1994. The project isn't even finished now in 2005.

I can understand about setbacks with some of the market-rate housing, but the rest of the problems are most likely caused by mis-management. Some people just don't work as hard when they're being paid with federal grants, it seems.

Flint was in a similar situation not too long ago, but under new (well, actually old and experienced) management they got back in good terms with HUD. I'm sure the Flint Housing Commision would gladly take the money and do something with it.

Yeah, Woodbridge Estates were supposed to be done in 2000, LOL. Obviously there has just been delay after delay after delay. Sadly, that is all to typical with development in Detroit though. It's a wonder that developers try to build anything in the city at all.

I read so much stuff that I might be way off, but wasn't/isn't Detroit fixing it's system of tracking who has the titles to properties in the city? It seems like next to financing, that was the main culprit of delaying a lot of projects in Detroit.

It would probably work wonders if only a developer could simply buy property, apply for approval, then get to work on their projects. When a project is announced, we'd only have to worry about if the developer could get the financing or not.

To be honest I'd be wary of doing anything significant in Detroit if I was a development company - just to save a headache. Although, if I was filthy rich I'd go through the whole process - headache or not.

Archived