Mobile Developments

Southron

Not really in the city of Mobile, but it is along the coast, and consequently, part of metro Mobile.

Plans have been announced for a $52 million, 25-story luxury condominium in Orange Beach.  Construction is expected to begin in December.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any renderings? Probabably not since it is most likely to be another cookie cutter condo.

• 4 weeks later...

Links to video for a couple of Mobile projects...

Water Street Landing condos...

http://wpmi.com/mediacenter/default.aspx?videoId=116991

A new crown for the Riverview hotel...

http://wpmi.com/mediacenter/default.aspx?videoId=108155

Thanks to mobileal1 for posting these elsewhere.

Edited by ExpatBaman

RSA Battle House update... This is a partial skyline photo that I took weekend before last. The RSA tower was up to the 31st floor - taller than the AmSouth tower, even though it looks like it might be shorter at this angle.

mobskyline11lu.jpg

New rising over the old...

oldnewrsa5sz.jpg

Edited by ExpatBaman

• 4 weeks later...

What impact will Mobile's new mayor have on the city's development plans ?

Will Dow (Mobile's long-time mayor, who decided not to run for re-election,for those unfamiliar with the city) make a run for governor ?

Would he be well-suited for such a position ?

I will add that there are at least 6 proposed or planned condos in Gulf Shores-Orange Beach of 30 stories or taller, with the tallest I've heard being 38.

I don't know the status of these ?

Edited by DruidCity

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well, I just heard it on other forms and a friend. I was asking if ya'll knew. But I think they were suppose to finish the last floor at the end of last week. I saw them bring in steel the other day (I assume its for the crown). are they going to build it on the ground then lift it??? The Riverview is also getting ready....they have extentions expanding skyward. I think its for the crown for that tower. But I'm not sure....I was hoping someone would know something about it. It ya'll hear anything please post it.

I'm not sure what the whole situation is with the crown. I think it may be built mostly on the ground and I could of sworn I read in the newspaper once that it would be lifted up to the top by helicopter. As for the crown on the Riverwiew Plaza, this website shows what it will look like from two angles. Its a little flash slideshow at the top riverview hotel

• 2 weeks later...

Yea....I still don't know if that thing is happening on the 2. I think it got delayed from the hurricanes. But I bet it the crown will be up before dec. is up! The Riverview will be nice....its new crown I hope will even the skyline some. Whats the deal with Olivers condos? You don't buy the land, discuss air rights for over year, pick and pay a seller, pay for plans and not build the freakin condos. anyways does anyone know whats causing the delay?

There is a great article in Mobile Bay Monthly Magizine about the Broad Street redevelopment lead by palmer hamilton (think thats his last name). I encourage everyone that can get one, read it. It will make you excited about the future of Downtown.

Edited by elb401

• 2 weeks later...

Downtown Mobile has always had more character and history than the other 3 largest Alabama citys, now its skyline is on its way to becoming the largest. Add the waterfront area and Mardi Gras to that, and you have the best city in the state.

A tall tower (or even 2 or 3) does not a skyline make. Birmingham's skyline is still FAR denser and would take virtual stagnation and an explosion of development in Mobile to catch up.

I said " on its way" that means it isn't yet, nor will it be for a while. Mobile has wheels in motion that will not only see the RSA and the 21 story condo, but eventually crop up more projects in the next decade or so at this rate. Birmingham has a height limit, and no real plans for anything major in the near future, on top of having a sterile downtown outside of the skyscrapers. Once again, add on the fact that Mobile has cozy and historical street level buildings and shops, and you have a superior downtown in the making.

Edited by Exodus

I agree with Exodus about the growth in downtown. Mobile has more history and a different culture than the rest of AL....mainly because we are the oldest city in the state and we had different colonial powers rule us. But B-ham has a nice skyline. I'm glad ALabama has 2 cities that are growing like they are. Mobile and B-ham are not in any competition...we really don't compete in economics (not that much)...we are more like team mates. Mobile competes more with other cities on the Gulf coast, which is considered by me Mobile's region. The better each city does, the better AL becomes.