Mobile Developments

Southron

I'll give you the fact that Mobile is probably more tourist friendly, but Birmingham has a far superior corporate industry. We compete in different sectors and I dont really understand why Mobile feels like they need the RSA tower. I'd be interesting in hearing an update with respect to how well space leases have been sold for the tower. Mobile office capacity was already less than Birmingham's and with the addition of the RSA tower, that'll create a bigger hole in the market.

Birmingham doesnt have any firm plans for any buildings of 20+ stories, but we do have about a dozen 6-12 story buildings under construction or proposed. There are some rumblings of maybe 2-3 20-story buildings, but no firm plans just yet. And as far as the height restriction goes, the restrictions are much less strict these days for one...and for two, there is no height restriction for the Southside... only on the Northside is there a fairly loose restriction.

yea, I expect B-ham to have a more corporate feel to it. its bigger. But to say that Mobile doesn't need the new class A office space i'm not sure. Mobile doesn't have a lot of class A. Mobile is become more of a aerospace hub, the port is growing, and if the LNG plant can be built then a whole array plants could cluster in Mobile county because of the proximity to the source of energy. I think the tower will be a success if not in the short run then definatly in the long run. And of course.... the skyline doesn't make the city. I get so mad when some people from Mobile and some people in B-ham cut eachother down. We both need eachother. Its not like one is stealing population or industry from the other. Mobile's office space expansion is not going to hurt B-ham. we are in two different regions, we compete with other cities. B-ham is not better than Mobile and Mobile is not better than B-ham. Its cities in other states that we should be worried about and we should help eachother in the competion between these other cities and states.

Edited by elb401

yea, I expect B-ham to have a more corporate feel to it. its bigger. But to say that Mobile doesn't need the new class A office space i'm not sure. Mobile doesn't have a lot of class A. Mobile is become more of a aerospace hub, the port is growing, and if the LNG plant can be built then a whole array plants could cluster in Mobile county because of the proximity to the source of energy. I think the tower will be a success if not in the short run then definatly in the long run. And of course.... the skyline doesn't make the city. I get so mad when some people from Mobile and some people in B-ham cut eachother down. We both need eachother. Its not like one is stealing population or industry from the other. Mobile's office space expansion is not going to hurt B-ham. we are in two different regions, we compete with other cities. B-ham is not better than Mobile and Mobile is not better than B-ham. Its cities in other states that we should be worried about and we should help eachother in the competion between these other cities and states.
I'm not from either city, so I'm looking at it from an outsiders point of view. I just see more in Mobile for my taste. I lived in Detroit most of my life, and Mobile seems more like a northern city to me. Maybe that comes into play a little. It reminds me of a cleaner, smaller Detroit with palm trees. But Mobile seems to have more potential to me. It has a historic feel, nice architecture, a growing skyline and a port. Many things Detroit or a northern city has, but better weather and beaches while having less grunge and crime. I like it so much that I'm moving there next year. Yes I know, another "damn yankee" ;) Edited by Exodus

I'm not from either city, so I'm looking at it from an outsiders point of view. I just see more in Mobile for my taste. I lived in Detroit most of my life, and Mobile seems more like a northern city to me. Maybe that comes into play a little. It reminds me of a cleaner, smaller Detroit with palm trees. But Mobile seems to have more potential to me. It has a historic feel, nice architecture, a growing skyline and a port. Many things Detroit or a northern city has, but better weather and beaches while having less grunge and crime. I like it so much that I'm moving there next year. Yes I know, another "damn yankee" ;)

That's odd. I've had several friends from up north (and Detroit even) that think Birmingham is modeled VERY closely after northern cities with all of the industrial development and the city being setup in a grid. I have no ill-feelings for Mobile. My dad's from there and I have a number of other relatives still living there. Mobile has a bright future, but some act like Birmingham is dying and Mobile is thriving and that simply isnt the case. I agree with elb... the better each city is doing, the better.

The better each city is doing, the better for all of Alabama. Birmingham basically anchors the northern part of Alabama, and Mobile the southern. The more each city builds and draws business and attention to Alabama the better it makes Alabama look. Let's be honest with ourselves, we don't have the best of reputations at this point, but the more the state gets exposed the more people will learn that Alabama is not the place they want to think it is.

That's odd. I've had several friends from up north (and Detroit even) that think Birmingham is modeled VERY closely after northern cities with all of the industrial development and the city being setup in a grid. I have no ill-feelings for Mobile. My dad's from there and I have a number of other relatives still living there. Mobile has a bright future, but some act like Birmingham is dying and Mobile is thriving and that simply isnt the case. I agree with elb... the better each city is doing, the better.
When I'm in downtown Mobile, I see more character and history from street level buildings. I see the Merchants and VanAntwerp buildings which reminds me of Detroit buildings, especially when you compare the Merchants building to the Fisher bldg.The Twin tower building in Mobile also reminds me of the 2 smaller Renaissance Center towers. I see Bienville Sq., old train station, the port, and the industrial area near Prichard and the Cocherine Bridge much like the undustrial areas southwest of the Ambassador Bridge. All this reminds me of Detroit more than Birmingham does. Also the age of both cities along with both originally being French. Besides, much of the original Mobile has a street grid also. Edited by Exodus

Well, welcome Exodus! Glad to see someone thats excited about Mobile's future. What part of town are you moving to?
Thanks for the welcome. I'm not too sure just yet what part I will be moving to. I've been down there several times driving around and feeling the place out. I have one more year in school to think and plan, but never the less, I will be packing my bags by next spring. About 5 years ago I moved from Detroit to the Huntsville area, which was supposed to be a temporary stop for a year or two before I moved to Mobile. After a year, the company I worked for laid me off due to health reasons, and I got stuck here for 5 years. They contracted with refinerys in several different states, so they figured a bad heart is a risk when it comes to traveling and working in refinerys. They didn't supply medical, and I couldn't afford the operation so I could continue to work. So I decided to go back to school, and now I have just one year to go before I can pack my bags. I can't wait.

• 4 weeks later...

As an former Mobilian it worries me that there is a tendency to get rid of the old to make way for the new. One of the main (if not the main) things I liked about Mobile was the flavor it had. I would like to see more buildings that are in the context of what Mobile was/is.

How full is the new tower that is going up? Is it going to be a big virutally empty building?

As an former Mobilian it worries me that there is a tendency to get rid of the old to make way for the new. One of the main (if not the main) things I liked about Mobile was the flavor it had. I would like to see more buildings that are in the context of what Mobile was/is.

How full is the new tower that is going up? Is it going to be a big virutally empty building?

As far as tennents, I don't know, but the tower is adjoining the old Battlehouse Hotel instead of replacing it. If it weren't for the new tower, the Battlehouse wouldn't have been renovated, at least right now anyways.

dunno.....bronner wont release a lot of the names of the tenants and he is in negotions with other possible tenants. Its a good thing that it was built....the hotel got renovated. But i tend to think that it was built a little too big. The tower has just created such a big buzz around downtown that it is drawing attention to it. I think Mobile is about to see its third big economic expansion since the 1830s and 1940s!!!! I know its been a while...its just in the 1830s Mobile tripled in size to the south's 3rd largest city (I don't think we will ever reclaim that) and in the 1940s the ship yard and brookely of coarse!

"I think Mobile is about to see its third big economic expansion..."

I'm a "Mobile fan," as I have some roots there. I just got off the phone with my aunt there, in fact.

That said, I wonder if there's really enough going on to create a "major" economic expansion ?

Huntsville has the thousands upon thousands of new high-paying military jobs coming in, so I can see their argument for likely major growth.

Montgomery has the new Hyundai plant and the ever-expanding state government, so I can see reason for expecting a bit of continued growth.

Mobile ? I guess there is EADS + the gigantic RSA tower with unknown tenants, but is there really an engine that will create thousands of new, good-paying jobs ? Is there enough in the works in the tourist sector to become an actual destination, rather than just a pass-through ?

Well, of course curtain things will have to line up. The port is expanding and ship building in Mobile is booming big time. yes theres the EADs, if contracts are gained. Even if they dont they said a factory could be build, just not to build stuff for the military. Jobs are being added so fast that there isn't enough labor. A major idea that is still being studied and Ihope passes is the LNG plant. If a CLOSED SYSTEM Off-shore LNG plant is made them Mobile will greatly benifit. There would be a pipeline that would flow into Mobile county. Because of the pipeline factories and chemical plants often seem to cluster around these becuase of the proximity to the source of energy making it cheaper. Why would it be any different in Mobile. That has the potential to create many many jobs. The tourist sector is picking up speed too. There are many projects being annouced every month, about 3-5 a month in downtown. Mobile's location and low cost of living and good quality of life are very attractive. Mobile's economy doesn't get much credit outside of the local area. Mobile and Baldwin Counties are very close to that boom. Only if we are continued to be blessed with good leadership and vision which we lacked in the 1950-1980s. I hope Mobile doesn't let the oportunities them by. It would be a mistake to over look Mobile's economy. oh, I'm glad other cities in ALabama are seeing brighter skies too!!! Alabama in 20 years is going to look like a different place! :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Off the subject ; I guess this could go as economy/development . Are the folks from Mobile New Orleans Saints fans ? The Superdome will be ready for the regular season Sept,24th ! So it's still undecided where the Saints will play their two pre-season games. Lafayette , Shreveport, and the Mississippi Gulf Coast where mentioned....

I think Mobile should be mentioned for a pre-season game; yall seem to do well with the Senior Bowl and GMAC Bowl; the Saints now more than ever are a Gulf Coast regional team ! Do yall think this would work in Mobile ? I am from Baton Rouge . I guess they do not want to tear up LSU Stadium before the season starts ?

Off the subject ; I guess this could go as economy/development . Are the folks from Mobile New Orleans Saints fans ? The Superdome will be ready for the regular season Sept,24th ! So it's still undecided where the Saints will play their two pre-season games. Lafayette , Shreveport, and the Mississippi Gulf Coast where mentioned....

I think Mobile should be mentioned for a pre-season game; yall seem to do well with the Senior Bowl and GMAC Bowl; the Saints now more than ever are a Gulf Coast regional team ! Do yall think this would work in Mobile ? I am from Baton Rouge . I guess they do not want to tear up LSU Stadium before the season starts ?

It would be nice if Mobile had a high quality stadium closer to downtown. Ladd-Peebles Stadium is showing its age and isn't located in the best neighborhood. Also, it's hard to navigate to from I-10. If Mobile had a stadium immediately north of downtown, serving as an anchor for a rehabilited Orange Grove mixed use development, it would become a catalyst for redevelopment of the entire area north of downtown. It could take architectural cues from the GM & O Terminal and the area's unique martime culture. Accessibility wouldn't be an issue, as I-165 would be blocks away, and I-10 could be easily accessed from six-lane Water Street.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm a "Mobile fan," as I have some roots there. I just got off the phone with my aunt there, in fact.

That said, I wonder if there's really enough going on to create a "major" economic expansion ?

Huntsville has the thousands upon thousands of new high-paying military jobs coming in, so I can see their argument for likely major growth.

Montgomery has the new Hyundai plant and the ever-expanding state government, so I can see reason for expecting a bit of continued growth.

Mobile ? I guess there is EADS + the gigantic RSA tower with unknown tenants, but is there really an engine that will create thousands of new, good-paying jobs ? Is there enough in the works in the tourist sector to become an actual destination, rather than just a pass-through ?

mobile seems to have a somewhat diversified economy, at least for its size. i don't know how crucial it is to have thousands of jobs in one sector there.

no telling whether the state will throw its money at the right places in mobile (or anywhere else), but mobile has benefitted and would continue to benefit hugely from the expansion of the state docks. not the touristy cruise ship thing, though that's expanded dramatically as well, but the heavy industry dock infrastructure. the bay is a huge asset that has never been targeted for the volume it could handle as an inland port. that may change when / if the mississippi's delta's status as a stable port of entry becomes more compromised. seems like i read a recent article (two or three weeks ago) on the possibility of changes at the docks. any residents know more about it?

• 2 months later...

The Mobile metro is having a public transportation meeting this thursday downtown. The goal is to start the talks of uniting the public transportation systems of Mobile and Baldwin couties to better serve the metro. They are even talking about ferries....which would be neat!

Edited by elb401

• 1 month later...