Mobile Developments

Southron

• 1 month later...

The Downtown Mobile Alliance, Mobile's Business Improvement District, has a downloadable report on their website listing projects underway, proposed, or recently completed. Photos or renderings of 32 projects are included.

Report .pdf here: http://www.downtownmobile.org/images/news/...eport2_copy.pdf

The Battle of Mobile Bay Civil War Trail

The new Battle of Mobile Bay Civil War Trail was dedicated yesterday at Fort Gaines and Fort Morgan. Eighteen signs, describing wartime events, mark locations in Mobile and Baldwin counties.

The biggest naval engagement, the last major battle and the last surrender of organized resistance east of the Mississippi River all took place around Mobile Bay. Admiral David Farragut gave the famous order "Damn the Torpedoes! Full Speed Ahead!" to his ships as they charged the heavily mined bay.

Local officials hope that the new trail will help with tourism and preservation efforts.

Mobile Register article here.

http://www.battleofmobilebay.com/

21-Story Downtown Condo Proposal

Mardis Gras Park may be in jeopardy

Mobile County Commission President Juan Chastang released a rendering of a proposed $85-100 million condominium project on the site of the recently demolished 1950s courthouse. The ground floor would include retail space and a restaurant with outdoor seating next to a fountain pool.

This project is on the site of the Mardis Gras Park approved by the county commission in 2002. The new county commission wants a revenue generating project instead of public space. Mobile Mayor Sam Jones, a member of the commission in 2002, is not happy about this change, and wants the previously approved park project to be built. It remains to be seen if Chastang can get the commission to go along with his proposal, which also includes replacing the adjacent courthouse annex.

Mobile Press-Register story here.

Condo project:

County_Condo2.jpg

Mardis Gras Park proposal:

mardi_gras_park.jpg

Edited by ExpatBaman

The condo project would be more fitting for downtown Mobile. There are plenty of vacant and blighted areas that a park can be built, this area is in dire need of a mixed-use residential high rise. Sam Jones campaigned on bringing green space to downtown Mobile so it will be interesting to see how this progresses.

The building looks okay, but the fountain pool area is ridiculously awful. If this thing is built, the county should bring in a group like the Project for Public Spaces (source of Mobile's Public Space Action Plan) to help design the grounds; so that the resulting public space would actually be used by real people, and not just look pretty on a site plan and remain empty and lifeless on a daily basis (like Spanish Plaza).

Maybe some components of the Mardis Gras Park could be put in this smaller space.

More info from the Press-Register: http://www.sppre.com/press/articles/APR_9-24-06.pdf

totally agree!!!! I also think the design of the building should be smaller and more Creole. There is a lot of history in that spot.....surving piece of fort conde (early 1700s), oldest sidewalk (early 1800s), oldest street light (early 1800s), Chirst Church, and museam of Mobile. I would also like some of the space be used for a park.

elb401, I see your point about the historical importance of the site.

The more I look at this design, the less I like it. I'd rather see about a 6 to 9-story mixed use building, similar to those in the most-loved areas of Paris, rather than this Gulf Shores looking thing. Regardless of the final design, I hope it's built out to the sidewalk using traditional urban principles. The last thing Mobile needs is this prime public land wasted with cookie-cutter condos on a suburban site plan.

Edited by ExpatBaman

City offers land swap for controversial courthouse property

Mobile Mayor Sam Jones made a surprising offer to the county commission to swap more valuable downtown civic center land (21.5 acres) for the old courthouse property (2.7 acres) that the county wants to develop into a mixed-use condo project. The mayor is serious about building the Mardis Gras Park on the vacant county property.

The proposal would include tearing down the existing Mobile Civic Center complex, and then building a new arena, theater, and parking deck; with a mixed-use condo development on the huge surface parking lot.

Two of the three county commissioners said they would be willing to discuss the deal.

Mobile Press-Register story

City offers land swap for controversial courthouse property

Mobile Mayor Sam Jones made a surprising offer to the county commission to swap more valuable downtown civic center land (21.5 acres) for the old courthouse property (2.7 acres) that the county wants to develop into a mixed-use condo project. The mayor is serious about building the Mardis Gras Park on the vacant county property.

The proposal would include tearing down the existing Mobile Civic Center complex, and then building a new arena, theater, and parking deck; with a mixed-use condo development on the huge surface parking lot.

Two of the three county commissioners said they would be willing to discuss the deal.

Mobile Press-Register story

german company considering unspecified mobile area site for giant steel factory.

"This is the largest non-government project we know of in the United States," said Neal Wade, director of the Alabama Development Office.

wow - that's big. the two states left in competition for the plant are AL and LA.

the bham news article:

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/inde....xml&coll=2

the mobile press-register article:

http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/inde....xml&coll=3

Great Idea. I loved the rendering and the idea behind the Mardi Gras Park and downtown Mobile does need more greenspace, though it also needs more residential space. I've been screaming for years for a redevelopment of the Civic Center parking lot. I doubt this will ever happen, though I'd love to see it happen.

I hope the Civic Center property gets redeveloped and transformed with an urban, pedestrian-friendly mixed-use project of some kind. If some of the old street grid can be restored, even better. I was appalled to read that the RSA project director in Mobile once mentioned turning the Civic Center into a lifestyle center, a mall of all things. Some people just don't get urban development.