Mobile Developments

Southron

I know. I just hope Mobile can control this mant to build new goofy looking buildings downtown. I wish that the developers and city leaders would realize it is a historic district and new construction needs to be built to blend in with the surroundings (Federal Court House!)

Mobile officials expect a new cruise ship in 2008

Mobile economic development and cruise terminal officials are confident that Mobile will get a second cruise ship or a larger replacement for the Carnival Holiday. A proposed I-10 bridge over the Mobile River and the narrowness of the turning basin may limit the maximum size of cruise ships brought to the port.

Solid bookings on the Holiday and the fact that vacationers are driving from as far away as Illinois, Ohio and Wisconsin to board the ship have contributed to industry officials' characterization of Mobile as an emerging cruise port with expansion potential.

Mobile Register article: Mobile's cruising for more

Thyssen-Krupp steel plant decision expected in May

Thyssen-Krupp may announce its decision for the location of a new $2.9 billion steel plant in May. Louisiana's power company is reported to have offered electric power at cost, making up for lower utility rates in Alabama.

According to company officials, the plant would employ 2,700 people and produce carbon steel and stainless steel for automakers, appliance manufacturers, electrical companies and others.

Montgomery Advertiser article: La., Alabama wait for steel decision

Bid submitted for EADS North America aircraft assembly plant

Northrup Grumman announced yesterday that it had officially submitted its bid for an Air Force refueling tanker aircraft, which would be built by subcontractor EADS North America at Brookley Field in Mobile. Boeing will submit its rival bid by the Friday deadline, and the winning design is expected to be chosen in October of this year. The plant would employ between 1,000 and 1,500 workers.

Unfortunately, industry analysts consider Boeing the favorite to win the contract.

Mobile Press-Register: Northrop submits tanker bid

mobile has benefitted and would continue to benefit hugely from the expansion of the state docks. not the touristy cruise ship thing, though that's expanded dramatically as well, but the heavy industry dock infrastructure. the bay is a huge asset that has never been targeted for the volume it could handle as an inland port. that may change when / if the mississippi's delta's status as a stable port of entry becomes more compromised. seems like i read a recent article (two or three weeks ago) on the possibility of changes at the docks. any residents know more about it?
Edited by ExpatBaman

i had read (and i have no idea where) reports that the expansion was going to be much more costly - somewhere in the $1 billion range. at least i remember reading that. has this been revised, or do i need to cut back on the drugs?

*edit* - it's the drugs. i re-read the post and realized 60,000 to 600,000 is a one thousand per cent expansion in capacity. that's what i remember reading. i knew it had something to do with a nice, round, impressive number.

and while i'm making a fool of myself, how geologically / topographically feasible would it be (money no object) to deep-channel a navigable commercial waterway - from wherever the farthest-reaching in-state waterway is now - to somewhere in the bham metro area (say, a spur of the black warrior connecting with the tenn-tom to the west, near tuscaloosa; or a spur off the alabama / coosa river system to the east, near pell city)? forgive me for my ignorance on this topic (my terminology is probably inaccurate - 'spur,' etc.) - i don't know, other than the tenn-tom & tennessee, how many commercial channels we have or how far they extend, or where to even look for such information.

my main reason for asking is that it seems that, if alabama is really going to be a heavy industry state going forward (car plants and the prospect of the massive thyssen-krupp steel project), a massive investment in our rivergoing infrastructure could help connect mobile bay with the interior of the state. if mobile to montgomery to bham to huntsville could be connected by a commercial channel deep enough to accommodate river barge traffic, it could help promote a river system that does not have such a problematic delta region (in terms of shifting geology and outdated flood control mechanisms) as the mississippi has in southern louisiana.

aside from money, there are probably a milliion reasons why this wouldn't work (environmental issues; reconciling 'piggybacking' commercial traffic with the ecological/ recreational / gov't / private uses of existing waterways the big boats would have to travel, simple topographic challenges and dramatic elevation changes...)

just a thought - the kind you have when you're a kid and drawing rollercoasters and skyscrapers.

Edited by convulso

how geologically / topographically feasible would it be (money no object) to deep-channel a navigable commercial waterway - from wherever the farthest-reaching in-state waterway is now - to somewhere in the bham metro area (say, a spur of the black warrior connecting with the tenn-tom to the west, near tuscaloosa; or a spur off the alabama / coosa river system to the east, near pell city)? forgive me for my ignorance on this topic (my terminology is probably inaccurate - 'spur,' etc.) - i don't know, other than the tenn-tom & tennessee, how many commercial channels we have or how far they extend, or where to even look for such information.

my main reason for asking is that it seems that, if alabama is really going to be a heavy industry state going forward (car plants and the prospect of the massive thyssen-krupp steel project), a massive investment in our rivergoing infrastructure could help connect mobile bay with the interior of the state. if mobile to montgomery to bham to huntsville could be connected by a commercial channel deep enough to accommodate river barge traffic, it could help promote a river system that does not have such a problematic delta region (in terms of shifting geology and outdated flood control mechanisms) as the mississippi has in southern louisiana.

aside from money, there are probably a milliion reasons why this wouldn't work (environmental issues; reconciling 'piggybacking' commercial traffic with the ecological/ recreational / gov't / private uses of existing waterways the big boats would have to travel, simple topographic challenges and dramatic elevation changes...)

First Tenant Moves in RSA Battle House Tower

The first tenant, International Shipholding Inc., will open for business in the RSA Battle House Tower tomorrow, April 16th. The building architect says the tower is essentially done -- the crown will remain open to give it an "airy" appearance. The tower lobby won't be open to the public until the Battle House Hotel opens in May.

Specialty lighting on the building and the crown are expected to give the tower a spectacular appearance at night.

Mobile Press-Register: Is it done yet? The answer is yes, says RSA Tower architect

Mobile seeks Katrina grant to finish renovation of Orange Grove public housing

Mobile is pursuing a Hurricane Katrina recovery grant to finish renovation of the Orange Grove public housing community and to elevate 14 flood-prone buildings there. The renovations will improve the appearance of the barracks-style buildings, increase living space by combining smaller units, add dormers to the roofs and expand porches.

Orange Grove, just north of downtown near Interstate 165, is adjacent to two other public housing communities, Albert F. Owens Homes and Jesse Thomas Homes, which will be demolished and redeveloped with a HOPE VI grant.

These communities have been lousy places to live and eyesores for years at one of the major gateways to downtown Mobile. I'd rather see all three torn down and replaced with a HOPE VI project, but two out of three isn't bad.

Mobile Press-Register: City seeking Katrina grant to elevate Orange Grove buildings

personally I wish they would just tear orange grove down and sell the property to a developer that would do something worthy of it. Like the Savannah river landing project. It would be a great opportunity to expand and revitalize the downtown area to the north.

personally I wish they would just tear orange grove down and sell the property to a developer that would do something worthy of it. Like the Savannah river landing project. It would be a great opportunity to expand and revitalize the downtown area to the north.

Edited by austin356

New state docks terminal to connect state to southern Mexico

A new $26 million terminal at the state docks, scheduled to open in June, will open up new markets in southern Mexico for Alabama businesses. The new CG Railway terminal connects to the railroads of southern Mexico via a pair of ships that will make about 85 combined trips annually between Mobile and southern Mexico. The ships and the terminal in Mexico are being modified to match the double-decker rail car capacity of the new Mobile terminal.

CG Railway originally began operations in Mobile in 2001, but moved to New Orleans after being displaced by the new Choctaw Point terminal construction. While in Mobile, the company was one of the largest importers of Corona beer in the country -- about 450 rail cars per month.

Mobile Press-Register: CG Railway terminal returns to Mobile bigger and better

I agree with austin356. It can actually hurt redevelopment. I think they should try to sell to the highest bidder. and use the money to build it in a new appropriate location. Orange Grove is pretty much empty right now. The land can be used for better development.

The Orange Grove community takes up such a huge chunk of land and that whole community can be deleloped into anything but what will they do about the souronding area ? which is full of addicts and prostitutes .So thw whole area would need a face lift not just Orange Grove ! and that would cost a lot of money to do so . I wish tah ta developer would change the orange grove community into what Mobiles old fort conde village use to look like . It use to be just like NO `s french quarter but it's half a century older that would be a nice development for that area. It could have residency, retailshops,parks etc.

Whatever happens to Orange Grove, I think the back end of the site which fronts Three Mile Creek should be transformed into a waterfront regional park. Imagine bike and nature trails from that area extending all the way north to Prichard's racetrack/entertainment complex. :)