Is there a chance?

rbdetsport

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rumor has it that they actually started one back in the day, but the great depression killed it and I don't think Detroit will see a subway in any of our lifetimes. It is on the verge of impossible just to get another form of mass transit, much less a subway. Check out the recent proposal for Ferndale. If anything were to happen, and that's a big if, it would be along these lines. Not only is money a big hurdle, but the region has yet to learn how to work together. Just do a search for L Brooks Patterson and you will see many examples of this (and drunk driving)! LOL!!!!

Absolutley Not. Detroit has the second worst crime rate in america, the last thing they need is another place for violence, the Subway

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa whoa don't be coming over here causing trouble...

You must understand Detroit.

The said subway would be located in Downtown Detroit which is a VERY SAFE area and the chance of violence is slim to none... get your information straight before you come over here trying to start something you don't even know about

I was talking to Allan awhile ago and he was saying that in the 20's or 30's they started to build a subway but because of the growning popularity of cars and fear that the subway would take money away from the car companies, they stopped the project. Apparently there are tunnles under the city, one of the stations being under the broderick tower. Allan may elaborate more on this. I don't know if I got all the facts right.

Anyways for now, the city could not afford it by any means. And all of the salt may pose some difficulties...

Detroit doesn't have the worst crime rate.  It doesn't even have the worst crime rate.

Almost no place needs a subway that doesn't already have it.

We do need good rapid regional transit.  Just not subways.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did I say that? I dont think so, they have the second, Chicago has the first!

if you dont belive me,look it up!

Absolutley Not. Detroit has the second worst crime rate in america, the last thing they need is another place for violence, the Subway

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the kind of absolute nonsense it's going to take generations to eradicate. As long as people continue to believe stuff like this, the city's national image will stay the same.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Honestly this is a pretty ignorant statement. Good mass transit actually improves the economic lives of people and has the effect of reducing crime.

You are toldly right. I don't understand what some of these people are thinking. Where are they getting there logic? The mass transit would bring more people downtown which would bring more buisnesses which would bring more people which would raise the population which would raise the city taxes which would raise the attractions which would raise tourism which would bring in big events which would again bring in more buisnesses and more attractions. WOW!!!!! That was a long statement. LOL!!!!!

Money is not the problem. If the region wanted it, it would happen. The federal government would be able help a subway get constructed. In the 70's, President Ford offered Detroit 700 MIllion dollars to get things started, but the region could not get its crap together and we ended up with the People Mover (which was supposed to be on a much larger scale...but then Reagan got elected, and...well...yeah)

If we really wanted to get this done, we could. Boston found $12 BILLION (mostly federal) just to put a damn freeway underground) We COULD do this, the question is whether we will ever try. I guarantee that if anyone ever sees the number (3) at the gas station, people will begin to think twice.

Perry is a man of genius, and so is metro. The problem is certainly not money. If the problem was money, the hundreds of millions thrown at highway construction projects around town (185 in the new federal transport bill alone) wouldn't be so easy to come by either.

That gets into the whole government subsidizing sprawl thing and that's a different ballgame entirely. Who pays for infrastructure in novi? taxpayers in ferndale and grand rapids and mt. clemens, that's who.

As for metro's point, it's absolutely true that transportation improves the economic freedom and well-being of people. Your average low-income car owner would have 10% more income to invest in education and skills if he was riding the subway and not paying down interest on a car loan. If someone is comfortable, they're less likely to commit crimes. Simple math.

Money is not the problem.

That is the one reason why Detroit needs a good and well used transportation system. I mean, really, if you think about it the poverty rate will get lower if there is a transportation system that is useful. People won't have to pay for their cars as much.

The city actually does not have a toldly bad police force. It is people like you that make Detroit's national image bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Detroit is a great place! A subway would be sweet, but it's not happening anytime soon. We need to attract people to the city that would ride it first. Detroit should take Toronto for example. That city is crazy on the move! They have a subway, and they are attracting lots of people to ride it, and it is paying off! Cars piss me off and I think that the "Big three" need to re-evaluate whats going on and get involved with new transportation ideas for SE Michigan! Anyone agree?

Cars piss me off and I think that the "Big three" need to re-evaluate whats going on and get involved with new transportation ideas for SE Michigan! Anyone agree?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would have to agree. Why can't GM get involved in other modes of transportation, especially since they continually loose market share to foreign car companies.

Archived