Walmartization of the South

monsoon

Is your city doing anything to stop Walmart and similar development?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Is your city doing anything to stop Walmart and similar development?

• No
    • Yes
    • Some Success

There's no real stopping them unless Americans stop shopping there. Besides, even with all the anti-Wal Mart ordinances popping up all over the place, they always find a way around the law. In suburban Maryland, they are building two separate structures beside each other to get around the square footage limitations of big-box retail. One will be a mid-sized Wal-Mart the other will be a garden center.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the big differences? Is it the size of the store being smaller than WalMart? Is it the products that Target sells? I've been told that Target is considered upscale because they sell higher priced things. What are some other things that make Target a more pleasant shopping experience than WalMart?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Targets feel smaller, and they usually are smaller. To me it is better layed out, and easier to find what I want. Walmart has too many different options, it is always cluttered with misplaced products, and it is huge. I hate it when I forget something and it is on the opposite side of the store... This is why I rarely go to walmart.

There is a target on Garner's Ferry in the Shops at Woodhill. I recommend going there rather than walkmart.

Archived