Breaking the 349 foot Cap...

Hybrid0NE

Which City will be the first to do it?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Which City will be the first to do it?

• Columbia
    • Greenville
    • Myrtle Beach
    • North Charleston
    • Charleston

It may not happen soon but eventually (i hope) there will be a new skyscraper in South Carolina that will break the 349 foot cap held by the Capitol Center in downtown Columbia. I would love for Columbia to retain the tallest building in the state but I have a feeling some hotel :sick: in Myrtle Beach will snatch it away as soon as we turn our head away. Anyway be sure to include any information you have about a new skyscraper proposals that you might have. Your turn...

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I don't think the tower in Columbia is 349 ft. Is there any proof other that what is listed on SkyScraperPage ? (which is notoriously innaccurate as editors there have changed heights to make their cities look better)

The 29 story Margate Tower in Myrtle Beach which recently opened is already the tallest in number of floors. And at 329 feet may be taller than the tower in Columbia.

Actually I don't think the tower in Columbia is 349 ft.  Is there any proof other that what is listed on SkyScraperPage ? (which is notoriously innaccurate as editors there have changed heights to make their cities look better)

The 29 story Margate Tower in Myrtle Beach which recently opened is already the tallest in number of floors. And at 329 feet may be taller than the tower in Columbia.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, But Emporis Confirms that Margate Tower is 20m shoter than the one in Columbia...

I'm pretty sure, Capitol Center is the tallest. I visited the Capitol City Club on the 25th floor in 1999 and I remember the greeter stating that the best views of Columbia are from 349 feet in the air (we were probably 310-325ft. at floor level) before guiding us to the windows. I've also read a couple of newspaper articles (courtesy of the Richland County Public Library) about the construction and grand opening of the tower in 1987, and they confirmed that it topped off at 349 feet.

Most likely you are correct.  I questioned the height considering there are no spires or anything to increase the total considering that it is only 25 floors.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spires? I thought that spires never counted in a building's height

I would have to say Charelston, because A, its south Carolina's largest city, and B if they dont, the city will just rely on the old city

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since when is Charleston South Carolina's largest city? They don't have any tall office towers now.

Edited. Someone already mentioned that Columbia, not Charleston is the state's largest city.

I have no knowledge of proposed building heights, but I hope Greenville will be first on the list. The Gateway site holds great potential, as has been stated on numerous occasions by the mayor and other city officials. Also, a possible location for a gigantic skyscraper is along I-85 in the ICAR. This has been included in a preliminary sketch for the site, and was also mentioned by the master-architect of the center as being something to dominate the landscape and grab the attention of travelers on the interstate. :)

Myrtle Beach did not have a height restriction per say, but they did have a restiction that for every unit built, there had to be a parking space as well. The un-intended result of that was that on Ocean Blvd, when a tall hotel was built on the ocean front, the project usually bought the property across the street, tore it down, and built a parking lot or deck. There answer to this issue was to simply remove the restriction. LOL

Photo I took last year of urban development in Myrtle Beach. This is at the pavillion looking North.

113_1372.jpg

Given the office vacancy rate in Columbia, the fact that the Meridian building was the first skyscraper in like 15 years, and it is mostly vacant, I doubt there will be a major skyscraper in Cola soon. First Citizens' new building is a single tenant building. To get a 20 floor or more building, it would have to be a muti-tenant building. The market isn't there now and it's likely soon.

I voted for MB. They aren't making anymore ocean front property, so the demand will be there for something 350' or more.

I have heard that the condo in MB is taller than SouthTrust in Cola. So MB might have the winning title right there.

I voted Columbia because it seems like the logical place to build one. The office vacancy is a problem now, but that can change. Don't forget that it doesn't have to be an office tower, it could easily be a residential tower. I think that one would work very well in Columbia due to the high demand for living in places like the Vista. Obvuiosly it would have to be built out side of the Vista, but it could be done. DT is becoming a popular place to live.

Greenville runs a very close second. It is undergoing a significant 'skyscraper boom,' so the demand is obviuosly there for both office and residential space. Greenville has alot of untapped energy in this regard.

Archived