Breaking the 349 foot Cap...

Hybrid0NE

Which City will be the first to do it?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Which City will be the first to do it?

• Columbia
    • Greenville
    • Myrtle Beach
    • North Charleston
    • Charleston

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We shouldn't be overlooking Charleston, maybe they'll put up a couple highrises to compliment the new bridge. I could definetly see a skyscraper that resembles the bridge tower standing near the landing (or whatever the endpoint is called) on the riverfront. :)

There was an earlier post that mentioned having a 30 story building at 7000 square feet per floor. This is certainly possible to engineer, but in addition to the extra space taken by elevators in a taller building, there is also the economics of a project. Many office towers' development relies on anywhere from one to several major tenants. Many of these companies like to locate all of their personnel on one floor or maybe two adjoining floors. In a building with a small footprint, a developer would most likely need to bring in a larger number of small tenants to be able to make the plan work, which would be much more difficult to accomplish.

There was an earlier post that mentioned having a 30 story building at 7000 square feet per floor. This is certainly possible to engineer, but in addition to the extra space taken by elevators in a taller building, there is also the economics of a project. Many office towers' development relies on anywhere from one to several major tenants. Many of these companies like to locate all of their personnel on one floor or maybe two adjoining floors. In a building with a small footprint, a developer would most likely need to bring in a larger number of small tenants to be able to make the plan work, which would be much more difficult to accomplish.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that depends on the marketability level of a downtown. In some places, interest in relocating small businesses into the CBD is quite high. I just thought it might present an entertaining brainstorm of sorts. I understand that you don't see buildings of this sort being built in every city, but consider the demand for space in a highly urbanized city. High-cost and unsuitable availability (in square-footage) have an impact on the creation of new urban development. :)

There are condo and office buldings slated for the foot of the bridge at the Mt Pleasant side. I believe they are in the 75-80 range. I don't think you will see very tall buildings in Charleston. Remember, Charleston has the engineering trifecta of being in a Hurricane prone region, a high seismic zone, and having extremely poor soils. To go tall in the Chucktown area would get expensive. I still think high-rises in the area are possible (my personal suggestion is the North Charleston Noisette Area), but I think 200 feet would probably be the max.

I think that depends on the marketability level of a downtown.  In some places, interest in relocating small businesses into the CBD is quite high.  I just thought it might present an entertaining brainstorm of sorts.  I understand that you don't see buildings of this sort being built in every city, but consider the demand for space in a highly urbanized city.  High-cost and unsuitable availability (in square-footage) have an impact on the creation of new urban development. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't disagree with you, Skyliner. If I had unlimited funds I would build as tall a building as possible. I just wanted to point out why that didn't happen very often. It would be awesome to see, though. It is hard to pre-lease (get commitments, anyway) a building to alot of small tenants, so most developers try to land a primary tenant. Its hard to get financing without a major tenant commitment, too. Ah...if only I could win one of those $200M powerballs, Columbia would have all kinds of skyscrapers!...lol.

I don't disagree with you, Skyliner. If I had unlimited funds I would build as tall a building as possible. I just wanted to point out why that didn't happen very often. It would be awesome to see, though. It is hard to pre-lease (get commitments, anyway) a building to alot of small tenants, so most developers try to land a primary tenant. Its hard to get financing without a major tenant commitment, too. Ah...if only I could win one of those $200M powerballs, Columbia would have all kinds of skyscrapers!...lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you win Waccamatt, PLEASE... PLEASE... PLEASE put an observatory for the general public on the top floor or roof (but it can't be a free-standing structure, a'la Polaris on the Hyatt Regency in Atlanta). I would be great if everyone could enjoy views of our spreading capital and get some tie-ins with the CVB and it would be a major destination. I can almost see the breathtaking views of the Capitol grounds, riverfront area, Finlay Park, roofs of Capitol Center, Palmetto Center, Nationsbank Plaza and Meridan. Throw in some fixed telescopes/binoculars and the falls along the Broad and Saluda, Lake Murray, the Congaree Swamp, Columbiana area's extended parking lot (Harbison Boulevard), etc.

If you win Waccamatt, PLEASE... PLEASE... PLEASE put an observatory for the general public on the top floor or roof (but it can't be a free-standing structure, a'la Polaris on the Hyatt Regency in Atlanta).  I would be great if everyone could enjoy views of our spreading capital and get some tie-ins with the CVB and it would be a major destination. I can almost see the breathtaking views of the Capitol grounds, riverfront area, Finlay Park, roofs of Capitol Center, Palmetto Center, Nationsbank Plaza and Meridan. Throw in some fixed telescopes/binoculars and the falls along the Broad and Saluda, Lake Murray, the Congaree Swamp, Columbiana area's extended parking lot (Harbison Boulevard), etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well Hybrid, if I had the money it would be a done deal. Since the powerball is unlikely, we can always dream, though, can't we?

Well Hybrid, if I had the money it would be a done deal. Since the powerball is unlikely, we can always dream, though, can't we?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, we can or maybe we can sneak to NYC and steal one they're towers. They probably wouldn't notice it was gone for months! lol

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know but SC needs a tall tower...A real one...The ones in Columbia look all the same height...Need something to stand out...It's a shame the last one before the Meridian was built 15 years ago....Columbia needs a tower to stand out as if you go to Charlotte, Jacksonville, Atlanta, or wherever in the southeast

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

alright Donald Trump :lol:

I don't know but SC needs a tall tower...A real one...The ones in Columbia look all the same height...Need something to stand out...It's a shame the last one before the Meridian was built 15 years ago....Columbia needs a tower to stand out as if you go to Charlotte, Jacksonville, Atlanta, or wherever in the southeast

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey I agree with you.

• 1 month later...

I don't know what it will look like, but below is a clip from an article in today's Greenville News which sounds very interesting! :thumbsup:

"Residential condominiums also will be part of PHC's new downtown development, which will be 350 feet high and whose main floor will include 5,000 square feet of retail space."

Entire Article Here

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't realize when I read this, that this will be South Carolina's new tallest structure. Back in the 60's and '70's there was a competition of sorts between Columbia and Greenville over having the tallest building. It looks like Greenville might soon regain the title.

Was there a rendering in the printed edition of the Gville News?

Was there a rendering in the printed edition of the Gville News?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WYFF-4 had a rendering during tonight's 6:00PM news. Maybe they'll show it again coming up at 11:00PM. Perhaps someone (not me - don't have the hardware) could video capture it and save it off as a .jpg? :)

Good...Let Greenville build its little 350 ft tower so Columbia can get a new one and blow them out the water

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget there are already 5 towers over 12 stories planned, and its only May. There are still sites unannounced. Columbia should have the tallest building, it is the capital. I feel that Greenville's downtown area is growing at a faster rate right now than any city in the state, so I doubt anyone else is building towers taller anytime soon. Other than Myrtle Beach that is. I see even more when ICAR hits. All in all though, not too bad for a city of 56,000.

Archived