Breaking the 349 foot Cap...

Hybrid0NE

Which City will be the first to do it?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Which City will be the first to do it?

• Columbia
    • Greenville
    • Myrtle Beach
    • North Charleston
    • Charleston

Don't forget there are already 5 towers over 12 stories planned, and its only May. There are still sites unannounced. Columbia should have the tallest building, it is the capital. I feel that Greenville's downtown area is growing at a faster rate right now than any city in the state, so I doubt anyone else is building towers taller anytime soon. Other than Myrtle Beach that is. I see even more when ICAR hits. All in all though, not too bad for a city of 56,000.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True....I still think if Columbia gets a new tower anytime soon it would try to make it the tallest in the state...But Greenville's downtown progress is impressive considering it only has 56,000..

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget there are already 5 towers over 12 stories planned, and its only May. There are still sites unannounced. Columbia should have the tallest building, it is the capital. I feel that Greenville's downtown area is growing at a faster rate right now than any city in the state, so I doubt anyone else is building towers taller anytime soon. Other than Myrtle Beach that is. I see even more when ICAR hits. All in all though, not too bad for a city of 56,000.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What makes you think that just by being a capital city means it "should have the tallest building?" Have you been around the country much? That has nothing to do with what highrises should be built there. :)

But we all know that the UA of 300,000 more accurately reflects the city :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, I always forget that the city limits have an incredibly small portion of the population. Seems like Greenville has the worst case of Atlanta-Syndrome in the state. Anyway, congrats to Capitol Center (aka AT&T, Affinity, Southtrust) Tower for you 18-year reign but I look forward to watching the "cap" being broken from somewhere in Standing Pitch Tree.

P.S. It better not be box or else... :whistling:

What makes you think that just by being a capital city means it "should have the tallest building?"  Have you been around the country much?  That has nothing to do with what highrises should be built there. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I fully agree. It gets me that people think that because you're in the capital city that you have to have the biggest of everything. Obviously these are people who haven't been around the country much. Look at states such as NC, NY, FL, CA, IL, TN, TX, AL, LA, PA, CT, KY, WA, OR, etc. these states all have cities much larger than their capitals or skylines that are larger in ciities other than their capitals. I like all our cities in SC. We need to stop this nonsense competition about what city is better or who has the largest or biggest skyline here in SC. It just makes us look silly and divided.

All of Myrtle Beach's bulidings look the same to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...blame that on the beautiful ATLANTIC. Every building seems fitted with similar terraces to view the Ocean...But from what I've seen of MB, it's changed much since I worked a summer job as a young man in North Myrtle Beach in 1982. It was certainly exciting down there...

My issue iwth Myrtle Beach is not its urbanity. You'd have to be a fool to deny that it is urban. But its a "faux-urbanism" of sorts. Its 90% tourist actvity there. If you meet someone there, the odds are they are not from the area.

There is a "downtown" of sorts. Its rather nice actually. Its along Ocean Blvd near the Pavillion. We have a thread about it somewhere. It looks to have some history to it too. However, it is obviously tourist driven. Its all retail shops and restaurants. and, its all contained withing a block or so of Ocean Blvd.

That said, the downtown is fueled by tourism. Its the outsiders who come there to shop and play. The traffic, the pedestrians, etc are not commuting to work, but to Broadway at the Beach for example. Thats perfectly alright. I am not trying to knock down Myrtle Beach or anything. Its a very linear city for a reason, and it is probably THE largest economic engine in SC.

To me there is alot more substance to places like Greenville and Columbia that have urban centers that support all types of development and are not driven solely on tourism (though it does play a part). It amy sound cheesy, but I get a better "feel" when I am driving around Columbia than when I am driving around Myrtle Beach.

My brother and I were saying the same exact thing about MB, Spartan.

I love MB, but it seems as though there aren't many jobs for people outside of the tourism industry. MB needs to try to incorporate other things besides tourism into its economy.

It seems all of there tall buildings are either hotels or condo's. I would like to see MB at least get a bank or business tower.

If you subtract the tourists from the Myrtle Beach population, you find there are is quite an active community of locals where everyone knows everybody else. The tourists are simply a commodity that are to be managed like any other business that a city might have.

The tourism business did bring a level of prosperity to Horry county which otherwise would be a very poor county.

If you subtract the tourists from the Myrtle Beach population, you find there are is quite an active community of locals where everyone knows everybody else.  The tourists are simply a commodity that are to be managed like any other business that a city might have.

The tourism business did bring a level of prosperity to Horry county which otherwise would be a very poor county.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd probably be like the rest of the peedee surrounding counties...

My brother and I were saying the same exact thing about MB, Spartan.

I love MB, but it seems as though there aren't many jobs for people outside of the tourism industry. MB needs to try to incorporate other things besides tourism into its economy.

It seems all of there tall buildings are either hotels or condo's. I would like to see MB at least get a bank or business tower.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Another good point, Hammett! The problem with Myrtle Beach's economy deals with the amount of money taken in by its residents. In order for it to be a more refined and less touristy city, it needs to appeal to businesses that deal with either manufacturing or money management. Real estate seems to be the other draw to the community, so why not appeal to mortgage companies locating there? Banks or mortgagors could locate their HQ to MB and build a regional office tower to cover the state or the Southeast coastal region.

You need more than just the service industry to build towers that aren't just temporary dwellings. Until MB attracts other industries, it will continue to build towers that are only hotels or condos.

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I see real problems with South Carolina's reliance on tourism as such a big part of the economy. The vast majority of tourism-related jobs are very low paying and the owners of many of the properties/businesses live out of state. I believe that tourism just perpetuates the fact that our fair state is also one of the poorest in the country. JHMO.

don't know about the rest of y'all, but I see real problems with South Carolina's reliance on tourism as such a big part of the economy. The vast majority of tourism-related jobs are very low paying and the owners of many of the properties/businesses live out of state. I believe that tourism just perpetuates the fact that our fair state is also one of the poorest in the country. JHMO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I definitely agree. Although tourism is really nice because it brings more visitors to the state, until we become a high-end destination, tourism will not be the best economic choice to build upon. :) Corporations and small businesses are the driving force of our most successful metro cities. Tourism is a great compliment to that core. :)

Hopefully the research campuses at USC and elsewhere will transform the state's economy and fuel cells will be the new hi-tech economic engine. Unfortunately, we still have the bubba bozos at the State House to deal with. How can we get more normal people elected to public office?

Archived