Breaking the 349 foot Cap...

Hybrid0NE

Which City will be the first to do it?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Which City will be the first to do it?

• Columbia
    • Greenville
    • Myrtle Beach
    • North Charleston
    • Charleston

Hopefully the research campuses at USC and elsewhere will transform the state's economy and fuel cells will be the new hi-tech economic engine. Unfortunately, we still have the bubba bozos at the State House to deal with. How can we get more normal people elected to public office?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I keep seeing complaints on the forum about elected officials. Everyone on here clearly has put some thought into their neighborhoods and cities, which means you must care about them and feel strongly about them. You should follow that passion by running for office! That is the only way to change the elected officials is for "real" people to start running for office (and winning).

Look forward to hearing about the victory parties for all the newly-elected folks from this forum!

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep seeing complaints on the forum about elected officials.  Everyone on here clearly has put some thought into their neighborhoods and cities, which means you must care about them and feel strongly about them.  You should follow that passion by running for office!  That is the only way to change the elected officials is for "real" people to start running for office (and winning). 

Look forward to hearing about the victory parties for all the newly-elected folks from this forum!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

JT, that's sometimes easier said than done. The reason alot of elected officials are attorneys is that they are usually in jobs where they can have flexible hours (and are fairly well off financially). I've thought about running for city council, but I'd have to quit my job or change jobs to do it.

JT, that's sometimes easier said than done. The reason alot of elected officials are attorneys is that they are usually in jobs where they can have flexible hours (and are fairly well off financially). I've thought about running for city council, but I'd have to quit my job or change jobs to do it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been told by many friends and family that I ought to run for the mayor of Charleston someday, because I am so passionate about transforming my hometown into one of the premier cities in the Southeast. I have many plans and opinions for just about all of the developments going down there.

But, as waccamatt pointed out, many elected officials are usually attorneys who have done quite well with their firms and therefore, have time and money to finance and contribute to their campaigns. Also, these attorneys know many of the aspects of politics which involve manipulating and using laws to provide a particular outcome they want to see.

If I end up settling down in Charleston or Jacksonville...maybe even Myrtle Beach, :lol: I will probably run for city council. I'd run for mayor in MB and Chucktown. Jax is so large, I don't know if I could handle the enormous responsibility.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Not all lawyers make bad politicians though. I think that the best that we can do is to vote for the person who you think will make a difference for the better, and not for the guy who will perpetuate the bull crap.

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed. But since we know Greenville has the title, the question that the start of this thread has been answered. It seems that most of us were wrong about Greenville reaching that height first.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless I'm mistaken, ground hasen't been broken for that project yet, has it? I've seen projects changed or cancelled even after ground has been broken.

I don't really think it's hating on Greenville, but until the tower is actually built, then the 349 ft. cap hasn't been broken by Greenville. When it goes up (and I'm certainly hoping that it will), then this thread can OFFICIALLY be laid to rest.

When it goes up (and I'm certainly hoping that it will) AND once Hybrid0ne scales the top and validates it with that 500ft of measuring tape he carries around with him, then this thread can OFFICIALLY be laid to rest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:P

It looks as though Greenville will be next with its 350 footer. Columbia will certainly not be outdone by Greenville, especially by one foot, so I expect Columbia will have a 351-400 footer in the air by 2010...this may even be accomplished with the construction of the new condo tower on South Main St. With the way USC is progressing with its plans for a huge research campus, a new tallest can't be too far away, and it wouldn't surprise me if this new tallest turns out to be residential. This may spur an exciting competition that will land 400 footers in Greenville, Columbia, and Myrtle Beach.

I agree Rob, the downtown residential market is hot, hot, hot right now. That residential tower on South Main could end up being pretty spectacular. I'm ready for it to happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fill me in. I haven't heard anything about a residential tower on South Main. Is there a website that I can go to for more info?

Fill me in. I haven't heard anything about a residential tower on South Main. Is there a website that I can go to for more info?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its speculation at this point. Holder Properties (the company that built Meridian) is buying land in the block at S. Main and Blossom.....there is rumor of a residential tower. The state ran an article on it a few weeks ago...I think there is a thread around here somewhere that mentions it.

its speculation at this point.  Holder Properties (the company that built Meridian) is buying land in the block at S. Main and Blossom.....there is rumor of a residential tower.  The state ran an article on it a few weeks ago...I think there is a thread around here somewhere that mentions it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its probably in the Columbia Developments thread.

It looks as though Greenville will be next with its 350 footer. Columbia will certainly not be outdone by Greenville, especially by one foot, so I expect Columbia will have a 351-400 footer in the air by 2010...this may even be accomplished with the construction of the new condo tower on South Main St. With the way USC is progressing with its plans for a huge research campus, a new tallest can't be too far away, and it wouldn't surprise me if this new tallest turns out to be residential. This may spur an exciting competition that will land 400 footers in Greenville, Columbia, and Myrtle Beach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It may indeed happen, in which case, a couple of the towers being planned in Greenville would probably change - similar to the one at RiverPlace. I think it may be a stretch for downtown Greenville to get involved in the near future, but with the size of some of these new developments just starting, who knows how soon the "war" may begin. Of course the first shot has been fired, so the main question now is who'll shoot next. ^_^

• 11 months later...

I decided to take GvilleSC's advice and sift through the old threads, and decided to resurrect this one. The one Greenville had planned is now off the drawing board from what I understand. So who will it be?

Seems as though it's possible the Crystal Resort project in Myrtle Beach may do it.

I believe getting the office space leased out is what killed the Tower at Falls and Broad. Which only irritates me because companies would rather be elsewhere in the area.

They're planning a 10 story highrise on the Greenville Mall site at the intersections of I-385, I-85, and Woodruff Rd. It will have great exposure to travelers, but why? Maybe once it is finalized and the company is announced we'll know... I believe I read about Columbia losing, was it SCANA(?) downtown. What's up with these companies?! :angry:

Anyway, I know of a proposal here in Greenville for the intersection of Main & Washington which will consist of a highrise. Depending on how they play their cards and work their space it could break the cap. It would be right in the middle of our skyline and connect the South Main buildings to the North Main buildings. I believe they were trying to make it Greenville's tallest because of its location. But it's all very early now. ;)

And for the record, I'd hate to see the title go to Myrtle Beach. :)

SCANA would have been our best oppurnity to get the tallest in the state if they decided to stay downtown and build a new building

That's too bad about Greenville and Columbia, both beautiful cities... As for MB, its skyline is fairly decent but it could use a skyscapper or two that's not so boxy...However, I would prefer to see SC's tallest that's more than 349 Ft. in Columbia, which IMO, has the most attractive skyline of SC's cities when not counting the spires & steeples & now a beautiful "diamond-shape" bridge of Charleston...

Archived